The 2018 Omnirumour Poll - PMF Grumpcast IV

Section for your polls, Doctor Who related and general.

Has Phil Morris (and associates) found more missing Doctor Who, and if so, how many? Grumpcast IV

Nope, nothing, nada, nyet, zilcheroony
16%
0-10 A few orphans maybe
24%
10-20 Perhaps a complete story, or enough to complete a story or two, plus a few orphans
26%
20-50 Lots of episodes - complete sets
24%
50-90 High end, height of omnirumourmadness stuff
7%
90-97 The lot, pretty much, save for perhaps one or two
4%

Total votes: 123
ericthehalfabee

So in June the Grumpcasters will return with our reading of what Phil may or may not be sitting on in terms of Doctor Who stuff and other missing telly.

Vote in the poll and comment in the thread as to why you've voted how you have and we'll read out your comments and have a chat about them on the day, with an in-depth look at what we reckon is going on.

We'd also love to hear from you via private message, if that's what you'd prefer :D
iank

I don't think he's got anything. Sorry, I'd love to be wrong and to see more, but I just can't see any reason why it's been five years since Webenemy and there hasn't been so much as a titter of anything. The whole "not saying anything until the search is complete!" stuff doesn't make much sense to me. Certainly if he had anything to speak of - i.e loads of complete stories - surely it'd make more sense to "stagger" the announcements (as we were all told was going to be the case in 2013) than leave everyone dangling for years on end and then announce the lot in one go and expect fans to fork out for a dozen "new" stories at once?
I don't buy it.
(Doctor Who) has been hijacked and redefined as a lucrative modern franchise. They've literally taken a square peg and painfully made it fit a round hole by taking enormous liberties with much of its fundamental essence. There's no turning back now.

- ozymandias, The Leisure Hive 2010
Rubbernecking

I thought I was cynical but gone for one to ten episodes.
Trouble is, he might have found some orphan episodes of different shows. But all anyone cares about is Doctor Who.

"Hey! You like Pink Floyd!"
"Yes, I love Prog Rock!"
"What other Prog do you like?"
"... I like Pink Floyd...".

It's exactly like that! :floorroll:
The Red Squirrel

I voted 10-20: Marco (7), Wheel (2 or 3 eps), Snowman (4 or 5 eps), Reign (2), Crusade (2).
"An infinite number of one-armed raccoons randomly hitting keys on an infinite number of computers over an infinite period of time would eventually create the Guardians of the Galaxy." -- Pete (Jan 11, 2017)
LizR
Irony Maiden
Irony Maiden

Rubbernecking wrote:I thought I was cynical but gone for one to ten episodes.
Trouble is, he might have found some orphan episodes of different shows. But all anyone cares about is Doctor Who.

"Hey! You like Pink Floyd!"
"Yes, I love Prog Rock!"
"What other Prog do you like?"
"... I like Pink Floyd...".

It's exactly like that! :floorroll:
You can generally get away with working your way through the spectrum.

"Er....Pink Floyd....Tangerine Dream....Moody Blues....King Crimson...."
WildcatMatt

I voted 10-20 with the understanding that means 10-20 in addition to Webemy.

I don't have a quote handy but I'm certain I've read that Phil has said at least once that going forward he will only return complete stories. That to me is a pretty good reason to suspect he has at least a couple of orphans lying around -- probably the two episodes of Wheel that have been talked about forever, at least.

Also, he's told some pretty wild stories about the hunt, claiming to have dug in old dumps and stuff. While I'm convinced he's played fast and loose with details in order to tell a good story, if he's actually done anything close to that kind of legwork I simply can't see doing that much digging and not finding something.
"The truth is, these are not very bright guys — and things got out of hand."
Doctor What

I am split two ways. I voted 0-10 as its the most likely of the two. Either he has very little and is desperately looking for Web3 as he can't find much else or, he has found most of them except Web3 and a few others.
Hepesh48

I voted for a few orphans. It seems unlikely he would have found nothing else. My theory is that, being very aware of the mythology of the big find and doing nothing to refute it, he is reluctant to come forward with a few bits and pieces and is hanging on in the hope he can add a few more. That seems unlikely so he might as well cough up what he has.
Magnus

Five plus years have passed since the recovery of Enemy and Web. I doubt Morris has anything more. If there is another recovery, then I think it will come from one or more elderly private collectors and be limited to only an episode or two at a time over the coming decades. If there is any further Morris returns, I believe it will be only Web 3.
Nosey Neighbour

I've read too much into this and become too engrossed to accept there is nothing more to come back. Yes I moan about the guy and fire off some intemperate posts about him because I'm impatient but Phil Morris has committed himself to make an exhaustive boots on the ground search with the help of others and some guidance from a smart fellow like Paul Vanezis so there will be more recovered, all the secrecy makes it hard to get too optimistic because optimists are frequently disappointed whilst pessimists are often pleasantly surprised.

All of the wise counsel I've been privileged to receive is to focus on the pre 2013 lists and pub whispers which suggests circa 40 eps, including Web and Enemy, found. Look at Eric's timelines elsewhere and all of the data available on BroaDWcast about which stories were shown where and you get a more than an inkling of what's more probable than most amongst other missing episodes to potentially still be sitting in an archive somewhere, hopefully vinegar free.

And that is not including what private collectors may be holding, grabbed from buzz saws, skips, land fills and bootleg swaps etc. because that is an entirely new level of privacy and utter unknowns and could yet swell the number of finds.
Miss Cathcart

I voted 20-50 but it could have been any of them as we just don't know. I don't agree with those who say he has no more or with those who say he has the motherlode, again because we just don't know. For Phil to announce he has found nothing, or next to nothing, would contradict all the positive statements he's made over the last five years ("all fans of lost TV will be very pleased with the outcome", the reveal will "blow a few doors off" etc) and would mean he's been having us on, which wouldn't do his standing with fandom any good at all. The most likely reason for the delay is that he has incomplete stories and is trying to complete them; if so, he'll eventually have to admit he can't and announce anyway. Whenever that will be.
zoot

If you accept that Phil has actually conducted a "boots on the ground" search of archives worldwide, then the question really becomes: how much Dr Who do you think survived in these archives? Given how widely the show was sold, it seems unlikely that there was nothing more than Web and Enemy. Just a few orphans is also unlikely since the stations were usually sent complete stories.

Marco Polo is a good bet just based on how many copies were made. Beyond that I don't really know. So assuming Marco and a few other stories, I guess we're in the 10-20 range (e.g. Marco, Reign, Macra, and Wheel would be 17), but I wouldn't be surprised if he's found more than that. I'll err on the side of caution and go with 10-20 though.
camaro

I voted 10-20. I still think something was up with at least Marco Polo and for some reason it was held back. Possibly due to where it was found and keeping all information quiet about it's location for some reason. Most likely in Ethiopia and if he did find Marco it's likely Reign and maybe the Crusades were there as well. That would be 11 episodes and I think it's possible too that maybe he has found some more of season 5 and maybe from his comments recently on the Enemy SE and at the convention an off air of Evil. As far as other tv I'm sure he has found a lot but have no clue what. I'm hopeful though that we may finally find out a few things in December this year.
hombredesilla

My current mental theory has been that Phil found all sorts of fun stuff but there are two issues preventing returns at this time.

One issue is that he has found things but does not have possession of them. Red tape and perhaps his deals with the local broadcasters to convert local programmes might mean that the films are still in Africa, waiting to be returned to the UK.

The other issue might be the state of the films that have been returned. The pictures shared during the extra on the Enemy of the World special edition show how poor the state of these archives have been in for years. That coupled with the Morecambe and Wise X-Ray 'recovery' might be a sign that Phil has films that are currently unplayable. (Wasn't there a rumor at one point that he'd found two copies of a M & W episode? Perhaps one is playable and one isn't and this is a test to see how they can return a 'playable' image compared to the other copy?)

This would explain to me why nothing further has been announced and why he is following up with collectors. He doesn't fully trust he will get access to what he's waiting on in Africa and what he does have is waiting on magic technology to be playable.
Black Orchid

10-20

Marco Polo, Reign, Crusade and two episodes of Wheel in Space.

If the BBC had some orphans that require a lot of expensive restoration perhaps they would release them as part of a Blu Ray boxset so you would have to buy the whole season just to get them?
Stevex

I voted none. Because even if Indiana Morris has recovered anything, we’ll never see it, so it might as well be zero.
Tuxfordman

I voted 10-20 because of all the non commital comments from people who ought to be 'in the know'
probably suggest this.Whether they are in the UK or not is another matter !
I would guess may be stuff from Ethiopia and more from Nigeria are most likely.
Whatever Dr Who he may or may not have I can't believe there isn't a load of Non Who
stuff to come as well as statisically Who stuff would a very small percentage of what
would probably have survived.
The Red Squirrel

The Red Squirrel wrote:I voted 10-20: Marco (7), Wheel (2 or 3 eps), Snowman (4 or 5 eps), Reign (2), Crusade (2).
Too late to edit my thread, but here is my reasoning.

1. mr borusa has a friend who saw the Marco Polo cans pass through his hands in customs.
2. The season 2 (and probably season 1) stuff from Ethiopia.
3. Partial Wheel and Snowman from searching and digging in Nigeria.
"An infinite number of one-armed raccoons randomly hitting keys on an infinite number of computers over an infinite period of time would eventually create the Guardians of the Galaxy." -- Pete (Jan 11, 2017)
robbo13

50 - 90

Mainly because I think I deserve it for sticking with the omnirumour since day 1 :lol: :lol: :lol:
LizR
Irony Maiden
Irony Maiden

If I thought my vote would count I would have gone for all of them (of course).

But sadly I'm a pessimist so I went for zilch.
It's a bit like climate change. PLEASE SOMEBODY, PROVE ME WRONG!!!

Return to “POLLS SECTION”

• Information