Josh Snares' Missing Episodes Video Series

Amateur non-profit making fan productions designed to celebrate the expanding Doctor Who universe.
Cygnus Prime
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

[Posts copied/moved from the So About Those Missing Episodes Then... thread.]

Loving this series.....

Darren Lake

Cygnus Prime wrote:Loving this series.....

I can’t watch it. They need to change narrator as the one they’re using at the moment is beyond annoying.
LizR
Irony Maiden
Irony Maiden

Darren Lake wrote:I can’t watch it. They need to change narrator as the one they’re using at the moment is beyond annoying.
I'm afraid that "vocal fry" got to me after about 30 seconds. A posh accent would be irritating but bearable, but a pseudo-posh one sounds just so smug and condescending...

Which is a shame because I was interested to watch. But yeah it needs a new narrator.
Servorobot
Head of Security
Head of Security

LizR wrote:
Darren Lake wrote:I can’t watch it. They need to change narrator as the one they’re using at the moment is beyond annoying.
I'm afraid that "vocal fry" got to me after about 30 seconds. A posh accent would be irritating but bearable, but a pseudo-posh one sounds just so smug and condescending...

Which is a shame because I was interested to watch. But yeah it needs a new narrator.
Sadly I agree. This is probably an excellent series but the narrator sucks and their voice grates after 10 seconds.

Crying shame really.
Scot Ferre

Linx on GB:

The accent is definitely Australian. I suppose its possible that he's speaking a little more "properly" than he would in everyday life, but it's still just a perfectly normal Australian accent, and speaking like that wouldn't cost him any undue effort.

What he is doing is lowering the pitch of his voice beyond where he can speak comfortably. Since most sentences tend to fall at the end, this has two consequences. Firstly, his voice sort of thins out and goes croaky at the end of every sentence. Secondly, and more importantly, his voice, being unable to go significantly deeper than the register he has adopted for normal speech, levels out and reaches a sort of "plateau" much earlier than it normally would, meaning that most sentences end with a slightly elongated monotone, rather than cadencing naturally at slightly varied pitches. Almost every sentence, in other words, ends up sounding almost exactly the same. Of course, this unconscious restriction of the speaking contour also makes one feel slightly uncomfortable and more self-conscious (and yes, it afflicts lots of YouTubers).
interference

is it "hate the young" day or something?
Truronian

Scot, can you give us a little more technical detail please. Your analysis was a little brief... ;)
paulvcooke

Absolutely agree, I think Josh has done a great job with these videos, top work.

And, can I just say for balance, I have no problem with the narration.
A whole empire held together by......by.....Well, by people just being terribly nice to each other.....Well, that makes a change.
elgarlic

paulvcooke wrote:
Absolutely agree, I think Josh has done a great job with these videos, top work.

Agreed. As far as I know, it's his own voice, his editing, his video. It's not as if he went and hired a voice actor to do the job (that, to be fair, only about four people seem to have taken issue with). Absolutely no reason to have someone else speak for him.
PhilipG

elgarlic wrote:
paulvcooke wrote:

Agreed. As far as I know, it's his own voice, his editing, his video. It's not as if he went and hired a voice actor to do the job (that, to be fair, only about four people seem to have taken issue with). Absolutely no reason to have someone else speak for him.
And, given that he's doing this series, chances are he reads this forum (hi!), so please be nice eh? :doc5: From the few seconds I watched, expecting some horrific Harry Enfield teenager impression, lo and behold his voice is absolutely fine.

Can we get back to moaning about the MTTU remake now*? :6doctor:

(* which also looks like something people have put some good effort into. Not something I'll want to watch, mind, but good for them if it raises awareness for the real MEs!) :doc1:
Rob Ocelot

Servorobot wrote:
LizR wrote:

Sadly I agree. This is probably an excellent series but the narrator sucks and their voice grates after 10 seconds.

Crying shame really.
I don't mind the narration all that much (at least I'm not one to be annoyed by vocal fry) but I do find the cadences at the end of his sentences odd -- he slows down his word pronunciation and drops the pitch of his voice at the same time. It's one of those things that once you notice you can un-notice it.

Still, I enjoy the series and it helps get the word out about MEs -- I never realized just how confusing sorting out where everything was sold to, passed on, destroyed, or whereabouts unknown. I never knew (or forgot) about the duplicate Moonbase 4. I noticed he 'future-proofed' the most recent one by speaking about the Macra animation as if it was already released.

I'd love to see his take on the Pertwee era. Even though it's complete I think telling the story about how dire the Pertwee catalogue was at one point and detailing the restorations/recoveries helps to reinforce just how lucky we are we have everything now and 99% of it in colour.
Spam Fritter

interference wrote:is it "hate the young" day or something?

Isn't that everyday? Young swine with their hair and cheekbones , full of hope and happiness, how dare they enjoy themselves.
JoshXD

Hi, Josh Snares here, just saw I had a small traffic peak from this site, turns out it's because everyone hates my voice lol. This is my voice, this is what I sound like. I'm Australian, gay, and have a speech impediment. Now I remember why I stopped going on this site haha

Thanks to everyone who is enjoying it though!
JoshXD

JoshXD wrote:Hi, Josh Snares here, just saw I had a small traffic peak from this site, turns out it's because everyone hates my voice lol. This is my voice, this is what I sound like. I'm Australian, gay, and have a speech impediment. Now I remember why I stopped going on this site haha

Sorry this was defensive, you're allowed to have an opinion!
Servorobot
Head of Security
Head of Security

JoshXD wrote:
JoshXD wrote:Hi, Josh Snares here, just saw I had a small traffic peak from this site, turns out it's because everyone hates my voice lol. This is my voice, this is what I sound like. I'm Australian, gay, and have a speech impediment. Now I remember why I stopped going on this site haha

Sorry we all came across as so negative about your voice. I guess it’s a typical human thing that some small thing distracts us from enjoying something totally worthwhile. It’s just the way we are all wired I guess.

I can’t talk. Listen to how bad I sound on the podcasts. At least Roobarbs haven’t complained about you putting on accents.

So apologies. I don’t think anyone was trying to be insulting and I think we all appreciate your efforts.
Ace Leslie

Listen to be realistic I never had issue with the voice on these installments. I reckoned /guessed that the narration was also the voice of the guy who made and edited these docs and it is passable as broadcast quality. Not too posh or anything - quite Australian and contemporary/enthusiastic in feel/accent.

And the melody of the narrative vocal gives a sense of mystery unfolding and a current "as it's happening" type of interest drawing the listener in.

1 This I think is good because I am hoping these videos could raise awareness of lost episodes and inform a wider range of audience hopefully could even lead to further future returns - Who knows?

A brilliantly and professionally done presentation and your vocal delivery was grand. My only initial gripe was that the first few episodes you had said "recordings" as oppose to "audio recordings" which I was worried could make some newbie who had found low quality video tapes think they were redundant. Highly unlikely scenario however. Cheers for the series Josh. Another highlight of interest for the followers of the mystical enigma of the wiped tapes during this barren desert of no recent missing episodes news. Cheers mate enjoyed them all so far. Onwards and upwards
Mr Ace Leslie aka Mr Ace St.John aka Mysteries ; -{]
:chase:
paulvcooke

JoshXD wrote:

I think after some of the things that were said you have nothing to apologise for.

I also genuinely think (or would like to think so) that most of the comments were thoughtless rather than intended to be hurtful. I could be wrong.

I for one, think your videos are bloody brilliant. And I would never ever put my voice out in the public for scrutiny, so well done mate. Don't ever apologise for who you are!
A whole empire held together by......by.....Well, by people just being terribly nice to each other.....Well, that makes a change.
paulvcooke

Servorobot wrote:
JoshXD wrote:

Sorry we all came across as so negative about your voice. I guess it’s a typical human thing that some small thing distracts us from enjoying something totally worthwhile. It’s just the way we are all wired I guess.

I can’t talk. Listen to how bad I sound on the podcasts. At least Roobarbs haven’t complained about you putting on accents.

So apologies. I don’t think anyone was trying to be insulting and I think we all appreciate your efforts.
Well said.
Rowls

The vast majority of us are just enjoying the videos Josh. For every negative post, there are 2 or 3 positive and for every positive post, there are 20-30 who don't post but would do so positively.

That's just how forums are. :roll:

Thanks and keep up the great work :)
ericthehalfabee

Super videos fella.

Although if I may venture one small criticism - no self respecting reviewer should talk about The Moonbase animation without discussing the cyber-boners 8-)

Return to “FAN VIDEO & AUDIO PRODUCTIONS”

• Information