Which TROUGHTON Story Should Be Animated Next - and Why?

Forum to discuss Doctor Who animations, official or unofficial.

Which TROUGHTON Story Should Be Animated Next?

The Highlanders
14%
The Underwater Menace
1%
The Evil of the Daleks
44%
The Abominable Snowmen
20%
The Web of Fear
No votes
The Wheel in Space
9%
The Space Pirates
11%

Total votes: 79
History Tourist

That said, while "The Highlanders" is what I want, "The Evil of the Daleks" is what I expect, followed by "The Wheel in Space." I think they'll focus as much as they can on Daleks and Cybermen.

I'm frankly quite surprised they bothered with "The Macra Terror," which I suppose shows that my predictions aren't worth all that much.
iank

I think Macra and Faceless both demonstrate that they're not just going for the icons or even particular fan faves like Fury. Which is a good thing, as the range would run out of those pretty quick if they were.
(Doctor Who) has been hijacked and redefined as a lucrative modern franchise. They've literally taken a square peg and painfully made it fit a round hole by taking enormous liberties with much of its fundamental essence. There's no turning back now.

- ozymandias, The Leisure Hive 2010
Servorobot
Head of Security
Head of Security

Most likely Rob Ritchie’s crew will concentrate on Series 4 and Big Finish Creative on Series 5&6.

The next announcement for Rob Ritchie’s work is going to interesting and may give us more of an indication about the lay of the land.
iank

I wonder when Fury will be out, given there's a "coming soon" on Faceless. If we could be talking July (and the animations panel in November indicated Faceless was all but done by that team) I wonder if there might not be a third snuck in by the end of this year.
(Doctor Who) has been hijacked and redefined as a lucrative modern franchise. They've literally taken a square peg and painfully made it fit a round hole by taking enormous liberties with much of its fundamental essence. There's no turning back now.

Servorobot
Head of Security
Head of Security

iank wrote:I wonder when Fury will be out, given there's a "coming soon" on Faceless. If we could be talking July (and the animations panel in November indicated Faceless was all but done by that team) I wonder if there might not be a third snuck in by the end of this year.
They’ll need something for November, although they don’t seem to care about that so much anymore.

Pertwee’s 50th passed with sweet fa, so perhaps anniversaries really are meaningless these days.

I would imagine Rob Ritchie would be beavering away on his next project and if it isn’t Evil you’d be asking yourself why not. Also I can’t see Evil being completed by the end of the year. UWM is a possibility, although the fact they are wasting time animating existing episodes makes these projects take longer than they really need to.

The curse of colour (or color as the culprits would say).
shuzbot

If they could do Evil then why haven't they done it yet? I think that one rules itself out by its absence.
iank

Hardly. That's a very odd conclusion to wildly jump to.
They haven't done it yet because they don't want to pump out all the big name, big monsters heavy hitters straight away. They're clearly playing the long game now and that means putting out 'lesser' stories interspersed with more iconic ones. Fury from the Deep is very much of a big title, easily the biggest since Power, while neither Macra nor Faceless Ones are overly loved but have gotten done anyway.
It's the exact same strategy they used with the original DVD range.

Servorobot
Head of Security
Head of Security

iank wrote:Hardly. That's a very odd conclusion to wildly jump to.
They haven't done it yet because they don't want to pump out all the big name, big monsters heavy hitters straight away. They're clearly playing the long game now and that means putting out 'lesser' stories interspersed with more iconic ones. Fury from the Deep is very much of a big title, easily the biggest since Power, while neither Macra nor Faceless Ones are overly loved but have gotten done anyway.
Macra Terror is a bit sh*t, but I like The Faceless Ones.

Rob Ritchie’s next project will be a Series 4 story. It’s almost worth putting money on it.
iank

I'm hoping for a third for the end of the year. And I'm hoping for The Smugglers. Still season 4, but a Hartnell and a historical (and one of the less complex ones to do, allegedly).

Neil Toynay

I'd like to see a Yeti box set with Abominable Snowmen fully animated alongside Web of Fear with just episode 3 animated. Any special features could apply to both stories.

This is assuming the powers that be have ruled out WoF3 ever coming back, of course.
Cygnus Prime
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Neil Toynay wrote: This is assuming the powers that be have ruled out WoF3 ever coming back, of course.

It'll of course actually be a whole two years next month since the following optimistic quote from PM about that.

MARCH 2018:

PM: "The book's not closed on that one. We're pretty close, I think, to finding the last resting place of The Web of Fear episode three.".

So I think hope is probably sadly fading now. :(

Not that I think we'll ever be told that all is lost. I think we will be left hanging in perpetuity instead. :(

See also.....

WEB 3: Will It Ever Really Come Back?:

viewtopic.php?f=35&t=7383

shuzbot

iank wrote:Hardly. That's a very odd conclusion to wildly jump to.

How is Space Pirates going to sell better by being released before Evil? They weren't making the episodes for the original DVD range and have already said their decisions are affected by costumes changes, the number of sets and characters. I would have said both Faceless and Fury are highly regarded and Macra was only four eps.
iank

They've recently said that because of budget increases all missing stories are now on the table and I don't recall anyone ever saying Evil would be tough, only the historicals.
The argument about sales is irrelevant as it's the same thing they did with the DVDs - mix up with the popular stories with the less popular ones. It may not make sense to you but it clearly does to them. I guess they can take a slight dip for the odd one (though I doubt there would be much of one in any case) but if they leave all the unpopular ones till the arse end of the range a consistent drop in sales could result in some not getting done.
I've never seen Faceless regarded as overly popular myself...

markhuk
Styles Moderator
Styles Moderator

Assuming the Macra Terror sold well I see no reason to assume the Faceless Ones wont,
being as it has a cliffhanger ending you would imagine Evil will be the next announced after Fury, shame really as Id love to see the Smugglers

Return to “DOCTOR WHO ANIMATION - OFFICIAL & UNOFFICIAL”

• Information