Shada Animated (2017)

Forum to discuss Doctor Who animations, official or unofficial.

Shada

No votes
No votes
50%
50%
No votes
No votes
No votes
No votes
No votes
No votes
No votes

Total votes: 2
shuzbot

https://twitter.com/Danielhillactor/sta ... 9100998658

https://twitter.com/Danielhillactor/sta ... 8837796864

Expected in Nov :D It's a great choice. Not my ideal one perhaps but I am happy.
shuzbot

It's a colour story that will help American sales with the most popular classic series Doctor. I am glad that they would utilise the surviving actors while they still have the chance to bring us the ultimate version of this story. Admittedly, I would prefer something ME flavoured but I am chuffed. I love Shada.

I just hope the inevitable Bluray has good extras and we get the choice of having the animation spliced into the existing footage or a complete animation on a second disc. Shada has proven itself popular enough to sell a high enough volume in multiple formats to keep justifying another release. In that sense, it's no different to Spearhead From Space.

Ultimately, This means further animations regardless of episode length are a viable option and that the next one will be something missing. It also seems to imply that they have a turn around of one a year. Just another twenty odd years and our DVD collections will be complete :D
shuzbot

Do the film inserts for the location work still exist for a potential HD transfer?
iank

I'm not unhappy because I love Shada but I must confess to finding it rather baffling when there's so many Bill and Pat missing stories to do, and as Shuzbot says if one a year is all we can expect... :roll: :death:
(Doctor Who) has been hijacked and redefined as a lucrative modern franchise. They've literally taken a square peg and painfully made it fit a round hole by taking enormous liberties with much of its fundamental essence. There's no turning back now.

- ozymandias, The Leisure Hive 2010
Redevon

I'll definitely watch it, but do we really need yet another version of Shada? We have the DVD release with Tom Baker's narration, Gareth Roberts' novelisation, the Big Finish audio version, the BBC webcast and of course Ian Levine's rubbish animation that leaked a few years back. Gets a bit tiring, but its a nice anniversary release I suppose.
shuzbot

shuzbot

shuzbot

Movie Worldwide Gross
Doctor Who: The Day of the Doctor $2,918,455
Doctor Who: The Pilot $80,989
Doctor Who: The Power of the Daleks $116,162

People say that the new series has more pulling power than the classic series but the Power animation beat The Pilot by some way.

http://www.the-numbers.com/search?searchterm=doctor+who
-JMW-

shuzbot wrote:Movie Worldwide Gross

People say that the new series has more pulling power than the classic series but the Power animation beat The Pilot by some way.

It's not like-for-like though...

The figures for The Pilot represent Australia only.
The figures for PotD represent Australia and New Zealand

Additionally: (for Australia)
The Pilot was screened 96 times (once per each of the 96 theatres)
PotD was screened 117 times (via 103 theatres - presumably one or more had multiple screenings).

It suggests that cinema chains have greater confidence in that which is not regular telly but rather an "event". Day of the Doctor (one of telly event) and Power (one off anniversary animated Dalek event) being more of an event than "The Pilot" (regular start of season telly) of course.

Nothing to do with "classic" vs. modern incarnation of the show.

grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference.

JMW

-JMW- wrote:
shuzbot wrote:Movie Worldwide Gross

It's not like-for-like though...

The figures for The Pilot represent Australia only.
The figures for PotD represent Australia and New Zealand

Additionally: (for Australia)
The Pilot was screened 96 times (once per each of the 96 theatres)
PotD was screened 117 times (via 103 theatres - presumably one or more had multiple screenings).

It suggests that cinema chains have greater confidence in that which is not regular telly but rather an "event". Day of the Doctor (one of telly event) and Power (one off anniversary animated Dalek event) being more of an event than "The Pilot" (regular start of season telly) of course.

Nothing to do with "classic" vs. modern incarnation of the show.
Which is the point I am trying to make

Anyway, NZ was $17,000 which is still a good $19k better than the Pilot.

I am saying that under the right circumstances the old series can hold its own against the new

Separately to that:

The Day of the Doctor was screened in cinema in the UK, Ireland, the US, Canada, Germany and Russia. (and Mexico according to Wiki)
-JMW-

shuzbot wrote:Which is the point I am trying to make
Anyway, NZ was $17,000 which is still a good $19k better than the Pilot.
I am saying that under the right circumstances the old series can hold its own against the new
Well, naturally under imbalanced circumstances when you take an exceptional instance of something and compare it to a standard (albeit still good quality) instance of another thing...the exceptional instance will likely provide an enhanced opportunity for marketing to succeed.

Shada will be an interesting experiment - The most popular Doctor in a story, completed for the first time with all surviving cast (officially too this time). No big foe though (unless they do manage to sneak that Dalek in there).

Maybe they should try out a few other classic titles at the cinema....A few existing Pertwee and Tom Baker stories perhaps - the ones with the iconic foes.

grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference.

JMW
Site Manager

I know, it's The Sun, pinch of salt and all that, but...
FORMER Doctor Who Tom Baker is back playing the Time Lord — four decades after the role made him famous.

Tom, 83, completed a story that had to be abandoned 38 years ago.

He recorded final scenes for Shada, written by Hitchhiker’s Guide To The Galaxy creator Douglas Adams.

It was meant to be a six-episode tale for Tom’s fourth incarnation of the Doctor in 1979-80.

But production was wrecked by a BBC technicians’ strike and only half was filmed before it was shelved.

Tom and other members of the original cast — including Lalla Ward, 66, as companion Romana — returned for the recording in Uxbridge, West London.

Only their voices will be used alongside animated sequences to replace the unfilmed material.

But that didn’t stop Tom dressing the part.

An insider said: “He wore his original costume, including coat, hat and scarf — and the original K9 was here.”
https://www.thesun.co.uk/tvandshowbiz/4 ... ho-return/
spectrox

I just pray to god that they take care with the incidental music. If they inflict that horrific Keff McCulloch score on us again I will weep with despair. Dare we think - they got Dudley to do it??

:D
The Ginger Cat
Site Manager
Site Manager

spectrox wrote:I just pray to god that they take care with the incidental music. If they inflict that horrific Keff McCulloch score on us again I will weep with despair. Dare we think - they got Dudley to do it??

:D
Dudley Simpson must be well in his nineties now mate, he might not fancy it. :lol:
iank

Keff's score was perfectly fine. Would be silly to change it for no good reason.
(Doctor Who) has been hijacked and redefined as a lucrative modern franchise. They've literally taken a square peg and painfully made it fit a round hole by taking enormous liberties with much of its fundamental essence. There's no turning back now.

spectrox

iank wrote:Keff's score was perfectly fine. Would be silly to change it for no good reason.
Well it wouldn't be for no good reason would it? The reason would be because the score is totally out of keeping, horribly dated and utter sh*t. I don't know if Dudley got as far as working on the music for Shada but maybe some lost documents of that ilk has been found? Anyway, even no score would be better than the McCulloch atrocity.
iank

Always sounded perfectly fine to me. Don't have a hernia. :D

-JMW-

spectrox wrote:
iank wrote:Keff's score was perfectly fine. Would be silly to change it for no good reason.
Well it wouldn't be for no good reason would it? The reason would be because the score is totally out of keeping, horribly dated and utter sh*t. I don't know if Dudley got as far as working on the music for Shada but maybe some lost documents of that ilk has been found? Anyway, even no score would be better than the McCulloch atrocity.
It's supposed to be dated. Classic Who is a dated experience!
I suppose they could provide an alternate version (or two given that some want 100% animation)...but it'd cost/waste money.

JMW

iank wrote:Always sounded perfectly fine to me. Don't have a hernia. :D
Not really getting agitated just trying to demonstrate how much I hate it :D

Thing is, when you think about it, if Shada will have a music score then more would be needed anyway for the additional sections. In that case, bin McCulloch's and start afresh!

One can but dream....
spectrox

-JMW- wrote:
spectrox wrote:
It's supposed to be dated. Classic Who is a dated experience!
I suppose they could provide an alternate version (or two given that some want 100% animation)...but it'd cost/waste money.
It wouldn't be a waste as far as I am concerned. There is dated and there is horribly dated; the point I was trying to make it was that is neither a good fit for a season 17 story nor pleasingly contemporary for 2017. It falls between two stools. Some of his scores for McCoy's stories are not bad really (Remembrance, for example) and I certainly would not suggest changing any of them but Shada needs something that at least makes an effort to sound season 17 authentic.

Anyway, as I said above more music would surely be needed anyway, and surely nobody would be mad enough to commission McCulloch to compose more of that!

Return to “DOCTOR WHO ANIMATION - OFFICIAL & UNOFFICIAL”

• Information