Shada Animated (2017)

Forum to discuss Doctor Who animations, official or unofficial.

Shada

No votes
No votes
50%
50%
No votes
No votes
No votes
No votes
No votes
No votes
No votes

Total votes: 2
Martin_Kinsella
Senior Moderator
Senior Moderator

The Ginger Cat wrote:Oooh, just noticed Charles Norton's posted this up on GB and Roobarbs.
Charles Norton wrote:Just a polite request but, when Shada is released later this week, could you possibly please give a thought to spoilers on the forum? With many people waiting for the disc release, those downloading it from ITunes will have a chance to see it ahead of others and there are one or two things in the programme, that once revealed, run the risk of spoiling the enjoyment of others.

I hope nobody is offended by me saying this and it doesn't come across as heavy handed. However, the production does contain stuff you might not be expecting. Stuff that might surprise you. I'm sure you're all likely to be considerate in this regard anyway, but just wanted to flag it.

On a related note, those of you concerned about spoilers might want to steer clear of Shada preview articles and forums until you get a chance to see it. Spoilers are likely to abound toward the end of this week and there will be all manner of places circulating things that might seriously spoil your enjoyment of certain specific things. And I include the BBC Worldwide press release in this, which looks like it might end up containing a very big spoiler indeed.

All the best.
I find this slightly absurd. It is hardly a spoiler if it has been commercially released.
J'aime Le Chameau Orteil.
The Ginger Cat
Site Manager
Site Manager

Well, like I said before, it's a bit silly how they think we can keep this 'spoiler' under wraps or whatever when it's obviously being used as one of the main selling points/publicity for the product, I mean to say, it's basically been on everywhere, even on ITV news I gather.

Must admit, from what I've read here and elsewhere, I'm a bit disappointed that it's not in episodic form and some of the Tardis interior scenes have been cut.

Anyways, a couple of clips.

Rubbernecking

Hello. Maybe it's time to hand in my Doctor Who badge but.
I've just never saw the thrill of Shada. I had the VHS and after the first couple of episodes I just switched it off and read the script book instead.
Don't let me put you off, I won't, in fact I feel idiotic posting in a thread about Shada how I don't think it's some Holy Grail.
This is also the third or fourth time I've hit the back button to get to this message rather than thinking "Why even post this message?".
I didn't like it. You do. Circle of life it's a beautiful thing!
-JMW-

:shock:

grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference.

JMW
Site Manager

-JMW- wrote:

Bloody hell!! someone's dropped a massive bollock there ain't they...
Martin_Kinsella
Senior Moderator
Senior Moderator

The Ginger Cat wrote:
-JMW- wrote:

Sir Ian is not going to be very happy.

The impressionist does a reasonable Tom Baker but Jon Culshaw would have been better. Sir Ian's version is okay but the new one looks much better.
J'aime Le Chameau Orteil.
iank

Dear God, how stupid and inept can you be? :roll:
(Doctor Who) has been hijacked and redefined as a lucrative modern franchise. They've literally taken a square peg and painfully made it fit a round hole by taking enormous liberties with much of its fundamental essence. There's no turning back now.

- ozymandias, The Leisure Hive 2010
spectrox

Well, you know that wasn't bad. Wasn't brilliant, but not bad.

Good stuff:
Voice-acting all round was great. Generally, animation ok although Tom suffers. Editing much improved on previous 1992 version.
Bad stuff:
Bizarre decision to make cheapskate live action shots which look awful, rather than animating same. In particular, K9 tangling with tiny Krarg by shooting it in the ankle; awful shot of two TARDISes with someone who is patently not Tom crawling around between them; the legs under the console at the end. Also, shoddy illustrations of Krarg carrier ship and Shada rather than using models or even decent animation. Lastly, I understand the need to cut out some stuff from the script to avoid animation costs, but would have liked to have seen it in episodic format.

But the crowning glory and what absolutely makes it work - the music. It was brilliant. I don't know if it was based on Dudley's planned score (probably not) or an entirely new creation but it was an utter triumph and made the whole thing cohere. I know that Mark Ayres can be a pompous old poop-face and be very irritating on occasion but his work on this was outstanding.

And thank god we never have to have another version of Shada ever again.
Dr Scott

spectrox wrote:Well, you know that wasn't bad. Wasn't brilliant, but not bad.

Good stuff:
Voice-acting all round was great. Generally, animation ok although Tom suffers. Editing much improved on previous 1992 version.
Bad stuff:
Bizarre decision to make cheapskate live action shots which look awful, rather than animating same. In particular, K9 tangling with tiny Krarg by shooting it in the ankle; awful shot of two TARDISes with someone who is patently not Tom crawling around between them; the legs under the console at the end. Also, shoddy illustrations of Krarg carrier ship and Shada rather than using models or even decent animation. Lastly, I understand the need to cut out some stuff from the script to avoid animation costs, but would have liked to have seen it in episodic format.

But the crowning glory and what absolutely makes it work - the music. It was brilliant. I don't know if it was based on Dudley's planned score (probably not) or an entirely new creation but it was an utter triumph and made the whole thing cohere. I know that Mark Ayres can be a pompous old poop-face and be very irritating on occasion but his work on this was outstanding.

And thank god we never have to have another version of Shada ever again.
Thanks for the review. I haven't seen it yet but second your last line.

I saw some photos that looked like Tom was filming a scene in the original 70's console room. Were those any good? What context were they made in? Part of the story itself?

Thanks

Dr Scott
iank

As I understand it, it's the very last scene where the Doctor talks about how people might meet him one day as an old man and say "Was that really the Doctor? And he seemed like such a sweet old man."
Not sure it really makes much sense that way, to be honest...
(Doctor Who) has been hijacked and redefined as a lucrative modern franchise. They've literally taken a square peg and painfully made it fit a round hole by taking enormous liberties with much of its fundamental essence. There's no turning back now.

- ozymandias, The Leisure Hive 2010
spectrox

I saw some photos that looked like Tom was filming a scene in the original 70's console room. Were those any good? What context were they made in? Part of the story itself?

Thanks

Dr Scott [/quote]

Yes it was part of the story, and Iank is correct, it is the end. That's where the "legs sticking out from console" oddness happens. I think I get what they were trying to do but it doesn't really come off, mainly due to the legs and the sound quality. Tom's last smile is however delightful. We love Tom. He's as mad as whippet-sh*t.

;)
The Ginger Cat
Site Manager
Site Manager

Some behind the scenes article thingy from The Model Unit:

https://www.facebook.com/notes/the-mode ... 709233788/
The Ginger Cat
Site Manager
Site Manager

The Ginger Cat wrote:Bloody hell!! someone's dropped a massive bollock there ain't they...
Seem's the Beeb dropped one an' all...

https://twitter.com/TomSpilsbury/status ... 4174725121
The Ginger Cat
Site Manager
Site Manager

BBC Look North Rob Ritchie interview from the other day.

Rob Ocelot

The Ginger Cat wrote:I see Clayton Hickman's tweeted up his rejected design for the slipcase then.

Not too keen on it if I'm honest.
So his 'brilliant' unused package design idea was a closeup of a scarf? That's what he was making all that twitter noise about? All of this BS about 'preserving artistic integrity' over something an 11-year-old could kludge up after school on photoshop?

I'd tell Clay to pull his head out of his arse but apparently that's impossible since they are one and the same on a mobius loop. <facepalm>
Rob Ocelot

The Ginger Cat wrote:
-JMW- wrote:

O M Ph G !

Ian must be pitching a right fit.

On the glass-half-full side Ian should be gratified the average television presenter couldn't tell the difference between Tom Baker and an impersonator and the animation and character design looked miles ahead of the current effort.

Considering that someone had to choose between Ian's and the official animation for the broadcast, and presumably a press kit with the 'official' clips had been distributed it's even more LOL funny they ultimately chose Ian's!
ericthehalfabee

I'm really very surprised at the amount of publicity this has garnered. My retired boss wrote to me last night about one thing and another, and at the end he asked if I'd heard about Tom's return in Shada. That was a bolt from the blue - he doesn't even own a TV!

Has there been anything outside the UK?
paulhickling
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

ericthehalfabee wrote:I'm really very surprised at the amount of publicity this has garnered. My retired boss wrote to me last night about one thing and another, and at the end he asked if I'd heard about Tom's return in Shada. That was a bolt from the blue - he doesn't even own a TV!

Has there been anything outside the UK?
Yes, I had similar experiences in my local. A number of folks asking me if I'd seen these reports etc. They never said anything about filming in Sheffield, which we're not far from, but this they knew all about.
mr borusa

[Next couple of posts moved from the "So About Those Missing Episodes Then..." thread.]
Miss Cathcart wrote:Wow! No-one's posted on here since Friday. Things are getting desperate.
You know things are desperate when your excited about a shada DVD release.
Binro was right.
interference

Thought Shada was great maself.

Return to “DOCTOR WHO ANIMATION - OFFICIAL & UNOFFICIAL”

• Information