Shada Animated (2017)

Forum to discuss Doctor Who animations, official or unofficial.

Shada

No votes
No votes
50%
50%
No votes
No votes
No votes
No votes
No votes
No votes
No votes

Total votes: 2
Hewy

It's the awesome fashion sense of the late 1970's that does it for me - very Dick Emery.
"... But you can't rewrite history, not one line ..." Driven by Hewylogic© inside

"...we had the satisfaction of finding the finest harbour in the world, in which a thousand sail of the line may ride in the most perfect security..."
— Governor Arthur Phillip, 15 May 1788 Sydney Cove - Port Jackson
LizR
Irony Maiden
Irony Maiden

Hewy wrote:It's the awesome fashion sense of the late 1970's that does it for me - very Dick Emery.
Oh you are awful! :D
Rob Ocelot

Douglas weirdly at one point tried to make SHADA "unfilmable" so the production team would have to pick a script for another story that Adams wanted to make -- presumably he added all sorts of things that would put the costs of SHADA through the roof to make it unpalatable for production. Graham Williams rejected that other story forcing Douglas to hastily rewrite parts of SHADA.

One of the casualties of the hasty rewrite was a Pertwee appearance. I originally thought that this was what the embargo was about, that they got Sean to do a little voice bit -- and animation would have been a great way to actually show this. Presumably the cameo would have happened during vortex walk sequence, where the Doctor passes by his earlier self doing a similar vortex walk in THE TIME MONSTER.

Another aspect of SHADA that was pared down was Chronitis and Salyavin were to be different regenerations -- they were supposed to find the other incarnation in prison! Salyavin was to join with Skagara but eventually turn on him That's also why in the final script the reveal of Chronotis being Salyavin falls kind of flat. The whole bit about stealing the book was to make Chronotis technically his own jailer. The Doctor's "nice old man" line at the end ties into that as well.
The Ginger Cat
Site Manager
Site Manager

Full version of that ITV Tom Baker interview with the wrong Shada animation from a few days ago.

Tom Baker wrote:..Big Finish Productions audio for children.."

:lol:
The Ginger Cat
Site Manager
Site Manager

LizR wrote:
Hewy wrote:It's the awesome fashion sense of the late 1970's that does it for me - very Dick Emery.
Oh you are awful! :D
But I like you... :lol:
Bowtiesarecool
Former Team Member
Former Team Member

I just keep sticking my foot in it. :oops:
The Doctor died with Capaldi. The Chibnall era is non-canon.

There are no Doctors before William Hartnell.

Without respect, we reject.

#NotmyDoctor
Batman Beyond

Rob Ocelot wrote:Douglas weirdly at one point tried to make SHADA "unfilmable" so the production team would have to pick a script for another story that Adams wanted to make -- presumably he added all sorts of things that would put the costs of SHADA through the roof to make it unpalatable for production. Graham Williams rejected that other story forcing Douglas to hastily rewrite parts of SHADA.

One of the casualties of the hasty rewrite was a Pertwee appearance. I originally thought that this was what the embargo was about, that they got Sean to do a little voice bit -- and animation would have been a great way to actually show this. Presumably the cameo would have happened during vortex walk sequence, where the Doctor passes by his earlier self doing a similar vortex walk in THE TIME MONSTER.

Another aspect of SHADA that was pared down was Chronitis and Salyavin were to be different regenerations -- they were supposed to find the other incarnation in prison! Salyavin was to join with Skagara but eventually turn on him That's also why in the final script the reveal of Chronotis being Salyavin falls kind of flat. The whole bit about stealing the book was to make Chronotis technically his own jailer. The Doctor's "nice old man" line at the end ties into that as well.
Fascinating! Sounds like a great alternate conclusion to that story.
The Ginger Cat
Site Manager
Site Manager

Guess most of us have seen this before, but you can't beat a bit of ol' Tom, especially the doings at the end...

"Don't forget Doctor Who YouTube Channel, NOW!!"
shuzbot

Does the scene where the Doctor convinces the computer he is dead remind anybody of a similar scene in Dark Star?
iank

Picked up the Blu ray of the new part-animated Shada last week and watched it last night. I was a little wary, as I love the 'original' Tom-narrated Shada from the early-90s and feared I might not like this version as much. However, for the most part, that didn't happen. There are a few quibbles, like the 'old Tom' ending, which seems pretty random and WTH, and the decision to present it as a movie when there seems zero reason not to present it in the intended episodic format is also fairly bizarre. The new version is obviously quite a lot longer, which makes the pace inevitably not quite as zippy as the narrated version... and yet, for that and my minor quibbles, I still absolutely loved it. Shada is a lovely story no matter how it's presented, and still one of my favourites. I also enjoyed the animation more than Power - whether it's actually better, or just easier to take when mixed with live-action, or better in colour or more suited to this style of story is debatable, but I still did. I would very much like to see more like this - how about animating some BFs like the Tom/Lalla Romance of Crime, or a 'Lost Story' like The Nightmare Fair?

Very happy with this, though. :)
(Doctor Who) has been hijacked and redefined as a lucrative modern franchise. They've literally taken a square peg and painfully made it fit a round hole by taking enormous liberties with much of its fundamental essence. There's no turning back now.

- ozymandias, The Leisure Hive 2010
DSJR

I watched the video once when it was first released, put it on the shelf and all but forgot it to be honest. I just received the new version as a birthday present and played it tonight all the way through with my 19 year old son. I have to say we both enjoyed it immensely and I'd add that I loved it!

I'm also going to have to wash my mouth out - probably - in saying that I never fully 'got' Tom Baker first time round, but watching this tonight and with the largely bonkers script and little one-liners here and there, I think 'he' finally clicked into place with me and that final wtf scene with Tom as he is now was to me just totally joyful - that toothy grin is heart-melting :D Bonkers story, likeable characters and all I can say is to express my sincere thanks to the actors and the animation team for putting it all back together as successfully as I believe they have, plus all the others recreating the sound vibes and so on. I was so engrossed in it all I didn't mind about the animation either...

I tell you what really all brought it down to earth for me. This may have been a bit of a slightly camp, cheesy and trippy kind of story, but for me it was far more than head and shoulders above the rubbish we've been given in so much NuWho. How wonderful it would have been to see Peter Capaldi in a romp like this rather than the self indulgent crap he was often asked to act. Sorry, maybe I'm speaking out of turn. I fear that Romana will one day return as a male character, the way the show is now :(

So yeah, I kinda liked it very much indeed :D
Black Orchid

The animated Professor Chronotis' only piece of dialogue is " Well guessed Doctor" which is the first line spoken by Dennis Carey in The Keeper of Traken episode 1.
Allons-y

I haven't got to properly watching this yet, but I did flick through it to compare it to the previous IL animation. Although I'd rather they'd animated missing episodes instead (Web 3 would be perfect) as you can already get a hold of Levine's Shada, they did a really good job. That scene at the end with old Tom was a little jarring but then again he was messing around with the controls before so clearly upset something and it was a treat to see the old man back in character (the role he should've played in Day of the Doctor). Hopefully this means there's more animation to come from the Power team.
AMERICA IS AN ANVIL.

:4thDoctor: There's no point in being grown up, if you can't be childish sometimes!
bob123

I still have six weeks to wait to get the DVD here in the U.S. I did not want to take the chance of ordering the Blu Ray, since the Blu Ray has not played for everybody over here, and as it is, its only the DVD that is being offered here, and there has never been any sign of the Special Edition of The Enemy of the World yet either. I wonder why it is being handled like this?
Stevex

Moved from missing episodes thread.
Zaph0dd wrote:
Scot Ferre wrote:
John Long wrote:
lepter wrote:I thought the shada animation was pretty good
It's on my agenda. Question: It appears to be in movie format on Amazon Video here in the US. Is there any way to see a proper 6 episode version and also HD?

JL
There is no episodic version.
Unless you watch the episodic and far superior unofficial Ian Levine version
I wouldn’t say it’s “far superior” because the video restoration on the BBC version is better. But it’s certainly my preferred viewing option for Shada, first because it’s episodic, but also the animation is better and gets a lot of small details correct and consisten that the BBC version screws up.

Return to “DOCTOR WHO ANIMATION - OFFICIAL & UNOFFICIAL”

• Information