Comparing the animation on previous releases

Forum to discuss Doctor Who animations, official or unofficial.
Truronian

[Posts moved from the "So About Those Missing Episodes Then..." thread.]

I haven't seen the animated Shada yet.. Is it any better than Power overall? I don't mind a bit of clunky movement here and there but poor facial renditions and constipated facial mobility spoils it for me. Ben is my fave companion. A viewer needs to see the characters they know and love. I watched a clip of animated Moonbase again yesterday. Bloody excellent. Why did we have to go back to the bargain basement thereafter? Money. I'd rather pay more for a good product.. My undergarments are too tight, hence the grumpiness.
VikingS

Truronian wrote:I haven't seen the animated Shada yet.. Is it any better than Power overall? I don't mind a bit of clunky movement here and there but poor facial renditions and constipated facial mobility spoils it for me. Ben is my fave companion. A viewer needs to see the characters they know and love. I watched a clip of animated Moonbase again yesterday. Bloody excellent. Why did we have to go back to the bargain basement thereafter? Money. I'd rather pay more for a good product.. My undergarments are too tight, hence the grumpiness.
Agreed, the animated Moonbase episodes are very good. I'd like to see Wheel animated by the same team.
Happygolucky

If there's even a grain of truth in this animation of Evil, I've said it before, it needs a combination of Moonbase type characters and the Power Of The Daleks background work, it was excellent. The problem with Power was how piss poor the Trought looked, and Ben looked like Stuart Pearce!! It could be a fantastic project so long as they make the proper decisions.
What happens with episode 2? Do they rotoscope it and then animate using that style? It's got to be done properly this time!!
Regards HGL
iank

I enjoyed the Shada animation a lot more than Power, though whether it was because it was better or because it was mixed with liveaction, in colour, and maybe even better suited to the tone of the story I'm not sure.
(Doctor Who) has been hijacked and redefined as a lucrative modern franchise. They've literally taken a square peg and painfully made it fit a round hole by taking enormous liberties with much of its fundamental essence. There's no turning back now.

- ozymandias, The Leisure Hive 2010
Somecrazyaussie

Hewy wrote:
ericthehalfabee wrote:

Thumbs up for animation?
Not if it's done like Power.
Somecrazyaussie

Truronian wrote:I haven't seen the animated Shada yet.. Is it any better than Power overall? I don't mind a bit of clunky movement here and there but poor facial renditions and constipated facial mobility spoils it for me. Ben is my fave companion. A viewer needs to see the characters they know and love. I watched a clip of animated Moonbase again yesterday. Bloody excellent. Why did we have to go back to the bargain basement thereafter? Money. I'd rather pay more for a good product.. My undergarments are too tight, hence the grumpiness.
It was much smoother than Power. It looked much better as well. The problem with the animated Shada, at least for me, was the fact it was movie length. I am a traditionalist, so I would have prefered there being an option to watch it in an episodic format. That was my only grievance. Loved the scene at the end with Tom Baker reprising his role as the Fourth Doctor complete with the reconstructed classic Tardis Console Room. Worth it for that alone.
Rob Ocelot

Somecrazyaussie wrote: It was much smoother than Power. It looked much better as well. The problem with the animated Shada, at least for me, was the fact it was movie length. I am a traditionalist, so I would have prefered there being an option to watch it in an episodic format. That was my only grievance. Loved the scene at the end with Tom Baker reprising his role as the Fourth Doctor complete with the reconstructed classic Tardis Console Room. Worth it for that alone.
Here's the thing about SHADA as it was in it's last revised script form.

It was three or four episodes of content at best stretched out into six. There's so much padding it's ridiculous: eg. Running back and forth between the lab and Chronotis' study, people missing one another, lots of time finding out that Skagara's ship is invisible, lots of scenes on Skagara's ship talking to the computer, a side trip to the Think Tank to dribble out some more exposition, long scenes of Skagara trying to get Romana to guess his plans, long scenes showing how the Krags are formed from the gas. All of this to hide that there's not much going on with the plot until the last episode and even then it's all resolved by causing the Krags to blow up.

This is all the more apparent in Ian Levine's animated version and he pretty much left the final script intact as it was -- and I don't blame him one bit since who in their right mind would start lopping off parts of anything written by the late Douglas Adams? Ian's version is paced correctly into the six episodes the story was intended to be, warts and all.

The BBC animated version edited down Douglas' script and basically ruined the episodic pacing so they dispensed with the individual episodes. Now, I think that's better for SHADA as a story as it's tightened up in a few places where it sags near the middle but someone decided that chopping bits off a Douglas Adams script was the better course of action. For all we know it was to keep the project within budget so they could afford Tom Baker's participation.
Gregbert

[Posts moved or copied from the "So About Those Missing Episodes Then..." thread.]
Hartnell's Wig wrote:
Power on audio is sublime. I couldn't get beyond episode one of the animation.
I would have to agree with this sentiment. Although I watched The Power of the Daleks animation a few times, I am not a fan of the animation. My favourite has been The Moonbase for animation. The Tenth Planet animation is where you could almost match up shots to the telesnaps. See my article link below and scroll down to the bottom to see what I am talking about. I am not a fan of the current animation style and in fact, even though I own Shada, I haven't watched it yet. I prefer Ian Levine's animation of the story.

http://www.from-the-archive.co.uk/2013/ ... lanet.html
JeffWho

Gregbert wrote:
Hartnell's Wig wrote:
I would have to agree with this sentiment. Although I watched The Power of the Daleks animation a few times, I am not a fan of the animation. My favourite has been The Moonbase for animation. The Tenth Planet animation is where you could almost match up shots to the telesnaps. See my article link below and scroll down to the bottom to see what I am talking about. I am not a fan of the current animation style and in fact, even though I own Shada, I haven't watched it yet. I prefer Ian Levine's animation of the story.

Them and I thought The Invasion was excellent. Though the Power animation stunk you still get to see it, better than nothing, I did enjoy it despite its faults.
Servorobot
Head of Security
Head of Security

JeffWho wrote:
Gregbert wrote:
Hartnell's Wig wrote:

Them and I thought The Invasion was excellent. Though the Power animation stunk you still get to see it, better than nothing, I did enjoy it despite its faults.
The Invasion animation is by far the best of the animation projects attempted so far.

Planet 55’s Cybermen stories are the next best and sort of makes up for the rubbish job they did on Reign, but then again it really comes down to money and is anyone going to spend a fortune on something they know exists in the hands of some private collector?

Planet 55 have the runs in the board, Cybermen wise, if anyone’s doing Wheel I’d love it to be them. I’m really not interested in buying that Britbox recon version. I have no idea if they are available or even interested, although there appears to be no second series of Prisoner Zero announced. But all we’ll get in the short term is the Britbox version. Hopefully they’ll release it in the US and three people will buy it and they’ll realise what a damn fool idea it was. This is one release I hope never sees the light of day in this country.

I also have Shada but haven’t watched it. The fact it isn’t episodic puts me off a lot. I found Power in the cinema a real trial as one whole thing.

Power was rushed and some scenes are very Pugwash like, but overall it isn’t that bad. There are some good bits and interesting directorial flourishes.

The colour version is an abomination though.
Hartnell's Wig

Servorobot wrote:The Invasion animation is by far the best of the animation projects attempted so far.
Agreed and it's no coincidence that it was produced by a professional studio with a huge body of work behind it.

The rest have been a mixture of good tries and disasters, the worst being Captain Pugwash Meets The Ice Warriors (although the small bit of Power I have seen was almost that bad)
The key to usable HUMINT (Human Intelligence) is distinguishing the real, highly placed sources from the bullsh*tting wannabes who pretend they’re highly placed sources by making sh*t up
Happygolucky

Hartnell's Wig wrote:
Servorobot wrote:The Invasion animation is by far the best of the animation projects attempted so far.
Agreed and it's no coincidence that it was produced by a professional studio with a huge body of work behind it.

The rest have been a mixture of good tries and disasters, the worst being Captain Pugwash Meets The Ice Warriors (although the small bit of Power I have seen was almost that bad)
The Invasion is great taking everything into consideration, backgrounds, movement and the likenesses are good too, but for facial likenesses and expressions Moonbase is the benchmark for me.
To be honest though, either or would more than suffice . I just hope the heavily rumoured Macra Terror shines?
Regards HGL
Servorobot
Head of Security
Head of Security

Hartnell's Wig wrote:

I must confess that the first episode is by far the worst Wiggy.

It’s actually really good when the Daleks are involved. It even gets ok with some scenes involving Bragen on the radio, but Lesterton does tend to lurch around like Frankenstein’s monster in some scenes.

Still Ben looks absolutely nothing like Ben, which is really quite strange. You think they could have done a better job there.

It was rushed unfortunately and it shows.

Watch it for the Daleks.
Black Orchid

The Invasion and The Moonbase animations are the best IMO.

Shada is good too and although I would have wanted a six episode Shada based on the original script I suppose a version cutting out some of the flab is a good thing and I'm glad they didn't replace Dennis Carey.

The Ice Warriors animation is by far the worst, the Ice Warriors look terrible.

I doubt they will bother to animate The Underwater Menace or other lesser regarded stories.

I expect that Macra Terror, Evil, Abominable Snowmen, Fury, Mission to the Unknown and DMP will be animated at some point but nothing more.

I much prefer Telesnap recons over any animation and I hope they include recons on future animated releases as a bonus, but don't have third party narration like on the Power of the Daleks DVD.
Happygolucky

Black Orchid wrote: I hope they include recons on future animated releases as a bonus, but don't have third party narration like on the Power of the Daleks DVD.
Yes that's a excellent idea, as part of the VAM, its the very least we can expect, all Loose Cannon reconstructions of course. :D
Regards HGL
Servorobot
Head of Security
Head of Security

Black Orchid wrote:The Invasion and The Moonbase animations are the best IMO.

Shada is good too and although I would have wanted a six episode Shada based on the original script I suppose a version cutting out some of the flab is a good thing and I'm glad they didn't replace Dennis Carey.

The Ice Warriors animation is by far the worst, the Ice Warriors look terrible.

I doubt they will bother to animate The Underwater Menace or other lesser regarded stories.

I expect that Macra Terror, Evil, Abominable Snowmen, Fury, Mission to the Unknown and DMP will be animated at some point but nothing more.

I much prefer Telesnap recons over any animation and I hope they include recons on future animated releases as a bonus, but don't have third party narration like on the Power of the Daleks DVD.
Personally I found the moving pictures on Power better than any telesnap recon. At least I had a better idea of what was happening, even if some of it was poorly realised.

I guess it just comes down to personal taste.
johnnybear

Servorobot wrote:
Hartnell's Wig wrote:

I must confess that the first episode is by far the worst Wiggy.

It’s actually really good when the Daleks are involved. It even gets ok with some scenes involving Bragen on the radio, but Lesterton does tend to lurch around like Frankenstein’s monster in some scenes.

Still Ben looks absolutely nothing like Ben, which is really quite strange. You think they could have done a better job there.

It was rushed unfortunately and it shows.

Watch it for the Daleks.
Ben didn't look like Ben last Christmas either! :mrgreen:
JB
Happygolucky

johnnybear wrote:
JB
He won't this Christmas either, or the next etc, he looked just like the footballer Stuart Pearce!!! This is what i am worried about concerning future animations, they have to look right so we can buy into the story. For all the faults with power, i'm still glad it was done but it hurts that such an historical story wasn't treated with more respect.
Anyone searching the net for any leaked animation?, i am on a daily basis just to put meat on the bones of this Macra deal.
Regards HGL
Hewy

Happygolucky wrote:
johnnybear wrote:
JB
He won't this Christmas either, or the next etc, he looked just like the footballer Stuart Pearce!!! This is what i am worried about concerning future animations, they have to look right so we can buy into the story. For all the faults with power, i'm still glad it was done but it hurts that such an historical story wasn't treated with more respect.
Anyone searching the net for any leaked animation?, i am on a daily basis just to put meat on the bones of this Macra deal.
Regards HGL

Ben is cursed with the Terence Dicks "open face" morphology. There is nothing really distinctive to hang a caricature off. He needed a limp and some scars, big nose and even bigger ears. Besides Last Christmas was Wham!
"... But you can't rewrite history, not one line ..." Driven by Hewylogic© inside

"...we had the satisfaction of finding the finest harbour in the world, in which a thousand sail of the line may ride in the most perfect security..."
— Governor Arthur Phillip, 15 May 1788 Sydney Cove - Port Jackson
Happygolucky

Hewy wrote:
Happygolucky wrote:
johnnybear wrote:
JB
Regards HGL

Ben is cursed with the Terence Dicks "open face" morphology. There is nothing really distinctive to hang a caricature off. He needed a limp and some scars, big nose and even bigger ears. Besides Last Christmas was Wham!
I can't argue with any of that Hewy. :D
Regards HGL

Return to “DOCTOR WHO ANIMATION - OFFICIAL & UNOFFICIAL”

• Information