Xmas Special 2017: Twice upon a Time

For discussion of series 10 of Doctor Who starring Peter Capaldi
The Wooksta!

The trailer for this is now up on youtube and it looks to be rather special. Bearing in mind it's the last new episode I'll be watching, it'll be good to go out on a high.
"It's basically a cure... for not being an axe-wielding homicidal maniac... the potential market's enormous!"

"Please dial *617 at this time"

"We're the Sweeney, son, and we haven't had any dinner!"

"Don't be told what you want. Don't be told what you need." - John Lydon
The Ginger Cat
Site Manager
Site Manager

The Wooksta! wrote:The trailer for this is now up on youtube and it looks to be rather special. Bearing in mind it's the last new episode I'll be watching, it'll be good to go out on a high.
Yeah, guess it looks alright. Probably be my last one for awhile too. We'll see.

The Wooksta!

Sad Asbergers Alert!

I spotted a prop error. That bomb/shell crater where the Captain and the German soldier are pointing guns at each other? The latter is toting a Walther P.38, which as a 1930s design is a tad late for WW1. He should have been carrying a Luger.
"It's basically a cure... for not being an axe-wielding homicidal maniac... the potential market's enormous!"

"Please dial *617 at this time"

"We're the Sweeney, son, and we haven't had any dinner!"

"Don't be told what you want. Don't be told what you need." - John Lydon
Bowtiesarecool
Former Team Member
Former Team Member

I won't be watching it. Thrice bitten, fourth time shy.

I'm done with New Who. I'll be sticking with the Classic Series.
The Doctor died with Capaldi. The Chibnall era is non-canon.

There are no Doctors before William Hartnell.

Without respect, we reject.

#NotmyDoctor
paulhickling
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Possibly the last episode of Doctor Who.

To be replaced with a series about some lass with a space/time machine. Thing is, it might be great. She might be great. In fact as an actor she's got to be better than Colin and McCoy, but is it the same show? The best way to approach it is as a new series BASED on another series that came before. Don't all the other Treks have a "Based upon Star Trek" credit over the titles somewhere? And they're supposed to be set within the same universe too. So. Spin-off, remake, sequel, or adaptation which happens to have the same title. At least we can enjoy it if it's a breath of fresh air after the last few years.

A lot of tears of course come the regeneration at the end of this Christmas Special. A DEgeneration for some..
Braxiatel

Funeral of a Time Lord.

Not watching. Props on getting what looks like a more accurate version of Hartnell's jacket on Bradley (assuming they didn't wheel out the 3 buttoned one from SAID AT) and Bradley himself but that's about it far as what tiny praise I had left
Sid Rat

The morph from Hartnell to Bradley whilst clever only served to emphasise how little Bradley really looks like Hartnell and how he sounds absolutely nothing like him.
iank

It looks absolutely hideous and I cringe at the sh*t dialogue Moffat will give the bad Hartnell cosplayer.
I'll pass.
(Doctor Who) has been hijacked and redefined as a lucrative modern franchise. They've literally taken a square peg and painfully made it fit a round hole by taking enormous liberties with much of its fundamental essence. There's no turning back now.

- ozymandias, The Leisure Hive 2010
Bowtiesarecool
Former Team Member
Former Team Member

The Moff should've named it The Castration of The Doctor 8-)

#NotmyDoctor
shuzbot

This sounds awful...

http://www.radiotimes.com/news/2017-07- ... as-special
David Bradley: there’s “a lot of conflict” between the two Doctors over “casual chauvinism” in the Doctor Who Christmas special
The First Doctor thinks his female companions should be spring cleaning the Tardis...
Heccypoo

shuzbot wrote:This sounds awful...

David Bradley: there’s “a lot of conflict” between the two Doctors over “casual chauvinism” in the Doctor Who Christmas special
The First Doctor thinks his female companions should be spring cleaning the Tardis...
I won't be watching....

Not because I'm a right wing, male chauvinist... 8-)

I just don't like shitty gimmicks..
Now that we all know about the rude bits, aren't they rude? And as we get older, they get ruder and ruder. :oops:
iank

Oh dear God, you've got to be f*****g kidding me.

What a colossal f*****g joke this show has become.
(Doctor Who) has been hijacked and redefined as a lucrative modern franchise. They've literally taken a square peg and painfully made it fit a round hole by taking enormous liberties with much of its fundamental essence. There's no turning back now.

- ozymandias, The Leisure Hive 2010
Bowtiesarecool
Former Team Member
Former Team Member

iank wrote:Oh dear God, you've got to be f*****g kidding me.

What a colossal f*****g joke this show has become.
Moffat's last two fingers to the fans sadly.

#NotmyDoctor
Joseph

Apparently Hartnell's Doctor is going to be rewritten as a sexist and Capaldi is going to school him on how to be a proper man.

Gee I wonder why I think feminists are taking it over and making it about their shitty little agenda.
Servorobot
Head of Security
Head of Security

Joseph wrote:Apparently Hartnell's Doctor is going to be rewritten as a sexist and Capaldi is going to school him on how to be a proper man.

Gee I wonder why I think feminists are taking it over and making it about their shitty little agenda.
Joseph, the story is horseshit, click bait for enraged DW fans.

It's probably one line of dialogue, written as a joke. David Bradley's probably taking the piss with his comments and some cretin has taken them literally.

Surely you can't believe everything you read in the papers in the UK?
johnnybear

I was looking forward to this but since the news of a woman being the new Doctor it will certainly overshadow the story, acting and finale to the Capaldi era!
I can't say I've enjoyed Capaldi's reign to be honest. His first story was rubbish and so was all of his first series! His second was worse, especially with the gender bending Time Lords and a crappy story about four million years of The Doctor trying to find Gallifrey continuing on and on. If everything was re-set each time then how come the diamond wall smashed in the end?
This last series did seem to pick up a little but by the Monk trilogy (which should have been one episode) I knew we were back to the usual Moffat crap! But as per se I thought an origianl Cyberman story was going to be good and then he adds The Master, two not one and then we get another story that doesn't make sense with a shock ending which seemed good but will probably tar the great William Hartnell's reputation no less!
This will be my last Doctor Who episode I'm sure because even if Whittasker fails, and we know she will due to the older fans dropping off like a hoarde of flys, even if they admit it was a mistake but they're glad they tried it, which they will, it will have destroyed the once greatest television show ever! Moffat and Chillblain should be put on trial on Gallifrey for crimes against the whole of creation or failing that the fans and Doctor Who!
JB
Martin_Kinsella
Senior Moderator
Senior Moderator

johnnybear wrote:I was looking forward to this but since the news of a woman being the new Doctor it will certainly overshadow the story, acting and finale to the Capaldi era!
I can't say I've enjoyed Capaldi's reign to be honest. His first story was rubbish and so was all of his first series! His second was worse, especially with the gender bending Time Lords and a crappy story about four million years of The Doctor trying to find Gallifrey continuing on and on. If everything was re-set each time then how come the diamond wall smashed in the end?
This last series did seem to pick up a little but by the Monk trilogy (which should have been one episode) I knew we were back to the usual Moffat crap! But as per se I thought an origianl Cyberman story was going to be good and then he adds The Master, two not one and then we get another story that doesn't make sense with a shock ending which seemed good but will probably tar the great William Hartnell's reputation no less!
This will be my last Doctor Who episode I'm sure because even if Whittasker fails, and we know she will due to the older fans dropping off like a hoarde of flys, even if they admit it was a mistake but they're glad they tried it, which they will, it will have destroyed the once greatest television show ever! Moffat and Chillblain should be put on trial on Gallifrey for crimes against the whole of creation or failing that the fans and Doctor Who!
JB
That's a great avatar picture. Honey Tonk Man is a legend.

I find it hard to disagree with anything here. I keep wanting to like it but I am investing time and effort into something I like less and less in the new show and it is clear that Moffat and co have little more than contempt for the older fans. Last years Xmas special was atrocious, most of this years run was atrocious. The ratings are down and deservedly so.
J'aime Le Chameau Orteil.
Servorobot
Head of Security
Head of Security

Capaldi deserved so much better than the crud he got given.

Sadly an era of lost opportunity and major disappointment for the fans.

Like he hasn't even produced a story yet so why would we put him on trial? Do you think he's going to be Doctor Who's version of Anthony Scaramucci or something or is it just because he's cast a female Doctor?

All I am saying is give Chibbers a chance! ;)
shuzbot

http://wegotthiscovered.com/tv/doctor-w ... en-moffat/
Outgoing Showrunner Steven Moffat Admits Doctor Who Almost Lost Its Christmas Slot
There was one big glitch, which was Christmas. I was going to leave at the end of series 10 – I had my finale planned and what I wanted to do with it. I had a good notion of that. Then I learned at a drinks event somewhere that Chris didn’t want to start with a Christmas, so at that point they were going to skip Christmas. There’d be no Christmas special and we would’ve lost that slot. Doctor Who would’ve lost that slot if we hadn’t [done a special] because Christmas Day is now so rammed. So I said, probably four glasses of red wine in, ‘I’ll do Christmas!’ and then had to persuade Peter [Capaldi] that’s how we were leaving.
It’s like handing over any job. Though Chris was incredibly, and is incredibly, fastidious about not wanting to seem to lurk behind me, ready to knife me in the back! I never felt that – he was absolutely welcome to be there any time he wanted, I had no problem with it all. He’s a good friend.
paulhickling
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

I was looking forward to seeing what someone who's been doing serious drama for the last few years would do with Who, despite some of his lamentable sf and fantasy (Camelot had some good points, including a much better tone than Merlin, but was another misfire), but it's soured with the stunt casting.

Problem for me is that since the biggest spoiler (in the true sense of the word) ever, it's even tainted how I feel about the whole series, and question what I've made a hobby for the last fifty years. Sadly we love a series that is too wide open to the things that are going on. The lack of any rules and boundaries AT ALL throughout the various regimes, where they've all had less respect for each other (especially those taking over) than I would prefer, is what has really brought us to this.

Ever since I can remember, whenever I've caught the slightest glimpse of the various icons of the series (Daleks/Tardis etc), be it in a newspaper/magazine cover etc., it's always given me a little boost, however else I've been feeling. Now whenever I catch a headline or a shot of a Doctor actor, or a picture somewhere the slight pinch of excitement that comes with being so passionate about an interest has been replaced by a pinch of sadness, disappointment and general depression. Instead of giving things a double take, I get a tiny sinking feeling like something's gone that I've always enjoyed. Instead of still producing a grin of appreciation after all these years (I'm two years older than the series), the best I manage is a sigh.

And it's even more depressing that fellow fans have done this. Not the tv professionals of yesteryear who don't quite get it. But people who've gone through all our ways of enjoying Doctor Who, and have become professionals. But they're still fans and they knew EXACTLY how much of the fanbase would be hurt by this final nail in the coffin.

Return to “SERIES 10”

• Information