HP Lovecraft Inspired Films

Things that go bump in the night and all that.
shuzbot

Just watched From Beyond, quite gory and weird. It was alright. I think it captured the Lovecraft essence in places. Miles apart from Creature From The Black Lagoon. For my money, the best Lovecraft-inspired film I have seen so far is Carpenter's The Thing. Anybody know if the Re-Animator films are any good? :)
LizR
Irony Maiden
Irony Maiden

I saw "Re-animator" when it first came out and I seem to (vaguely) recall that it was good.

I'm not sure "The Thing" can be counted as HPL inspired, I don't recall John W Campbell saying the story was based on "At the mountains of madness" as such, apart from the shared setting? (Ramsey Campbell, on the other hand...!) It was published the year after HPL's death ("Who goes there?" first appeared in "Astounding SF" in 1938) and I'm fairly sure HPL remained obscure throughout his life, so I'm not sure that his work had become widely known and reappraised by that point?

I am always willing to be corrected, of course. :D
"The good thing about having an obsessive personality is that you’ve always got something to think about." -- Lynne Truss

My crosswords are on my homepage & Android phones - install Alphacross and select "Māyā's Cryptic Puzzles" :D
shuzbot

LizR wrote:I saw "Re-animator" when it first came out and I seem to (vaguely) recall that it was good.

I'm not sure "The Thing" can be counted as HPL inspired, I don't recall John W Campbell saying the story was based on "At the mountains of madness" as such, apart from the shared setting? (Ramsey Campbell, on the other hand...!) It was published the year after HPL's death ("Who goes there?" first appeared in "Astounding SF" in 1938) and I'm fairly sure HPL remained obscure throughout his life, so I'm not sure that his work had become widely known and reappraised by that point?

I am always willing to be corrected, of course. :D
No, I think I have got the thing mixed up with something. No idea what :?
Servorobot
Head of Security
Head of Security

Re-animator is terrific, very much in the vein of From Beyond (made by the same people) and equally as weird in places.

I've always liked The Dunwich Horror as well.
shuzbot

Servorobot wrote:I've always liked The Dunwich Horror as well.
Isn't that a recent one?
Morbius

shuzbot wrote:
Servorobot wrote:I've always liked The Dunwich Horror as well.
Isn't that a recent one?
Only if you call 1970 recent.
shuzbot

No, I was thinking of this one: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1226752/

2009 and don't remember it being that great but my memory is vague.
Servorobot
Head of Security
Head of Security

shuzbot wrote:No, I was thinking of this one: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1226752/

2009 and don't remember it being that great but my memory is vague.
Well there you go, I didn't realise there had been a remake.

No, I was thinking of the 1970 version with Dean Stockwell (who's in this remake I see) and Sandra Dee of all people.
paulhickling
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Only one I've ever seen is The Haunted palace. Although part of the Roger Corman Edgar Allen Poe series of the sixties, only the title comes from Poe. The story is 'The Case of Charles Dexter Ward', by Lovecraft. I know nothing otherwise about Lovecraft, but this film did introduce things like The Necronomicon and Cthulhu to cinema audiences.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Haunted_Palace

The film has two things worth seeking out for. Vincent Price who is great as ever, and a cracking score by Ronald Stein.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t2tZ1MdnzxY

I remember recording the opening theme on audio cassette from a 70s showing on Yorkshire TV, and couldn't stop listening to it. It's repeated several times throughout the film.
shuzbot

Thanks for the recommendations. I watched some Roger Corman films recently. Brain Eaters is the one I remember most vividly.
paulhickling
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

shuzbot wrote:Thanks for the recommendations. I watched some Roger Corman films recently. Brain Eaters is the one I remember most vividly.
As a kid I watched all of them on tv. Just like the Universal and Hammer horrors. The Corman/Poes were the first sense I got of even 'outside stuff' being shot very obviously in a studio. Got a bit boring at the time, but still love 'em.
shuzbot

Lovecraft's At the Mountains of Madness definitely inspired Alien vs Predator.
Cygnus Prime
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

There's a new movie on the way.......

http://www.darkhorizons.com/thrones-duo ... t-warners/

“Game of Thrones” series creators David Benioff & D.B. Weiss have set up an untitled thriller at Warner Bros. Pictures that will be inspired by the works of horror author H.P. Lovecraft.

They’ve also enlisted the “Destroyer” team of Phil Hay & Matt Manfredi to pen the script and that film’s celebrated director Karyn Kusama to executive produce.

Set in 1920 within the Cthulhu mythos, the movie turns on the question – what if author H.P. Lovecraft wasn’t making his famous stories up? What if the monsters he wrote about in famed stories like “At the Mountains of Madness,” “Shadow over Innsmouth” and “The Dunwich Horror” are real?

A similar premise was explored in John Carpenter’s 1995 film “In the Mouth of Madness” which has achieved a major cult following in recent years. Lovecraft himself has seen a resurgence of late with adaptations of his work with the video games “The Sinking City” and “Call of Cthulhu” and the Nic Cage-led film “Color Out of Space” being releases.

Benioff & Weiss have reportedly been eyeing this project for years so the discussion on this movie predated their recent major deal with Netflix which led them to exit the “Star Wars” franchise.
Cygnus Prime
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

How Lovecraft has affected our culture.....

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/articl ... op-culture

Seven surprising ways H.P. Lovecraft influenced our pop culture
As the podcast The Whisperer in Darkness puts a terrifying modern spin on cult author H.P. Lovecraft's classic story, we look at the surprising ways his twisted imagination still affects our lives. He may have died in poverty and relative obscurity in 1937, but Lovecraft's legacy and reputation continues to grow. Various facets of popular culture have adopted his ideas, characters and plot-lines, using them in a variety of surprising ways, from hip hop to video games. Here’s just a few…
shuzbot

Looks good, a proper Lovecraft adaptation at last?
Servorobot
Head of Security
Head of Security

shuzbot wrote:

Looks good, a proper Lovecraft adaptation at last?
It does indeed.

I also notice that the film is directed by Richard Stanley, his first since being fired from The Island of Doctor Moreau.

Stanley hopes this is the first film in a trilogy of Lovecraft adaptions. He plans to make a version of The Dunwich Horror next.
LizR
Irony Maiden
Irony Maiden

Wow. Unfortunately my other half doesn't like horror, so I may not get around to seeing them, which is a shame, because I am a fan of that literary era and style (Lovecraft, Machen, Hodgson, the odd bit of Aleister Crowley, etc).
"The good thing about having an obsessive personality is that you’ve always got something to think about." -- Lynne Truss

My crosswords are on my homepage & Android phones - install Alphacross and select "Māyā's Cryptic Puzzles" :D

Return to “Fantasy, Horror and Supernatural”

• Information