Nigel Kneale's Other Stuff

Things that go bump in the night and all that.
shuzbot

He wrote Halloween III But had his name removed cos he was displeased with the results, adapted Susan Hill's The Woman in Black and she was displeased with the results and Nigel Kneale was displeased with the BBC over Quatermass. He also didn't like Doctor Who and spent a lot of time being displeased.

I watched his anthology series Beasts. The first episode was quite good. No music and lots of suspense and sinister scratching sounds, but then it ended and I remembered what disappointed me about the Stone Tape: a nebulous ending that left so much unresolved.

Also, the characters were odd and unlikeable. Even to the point of being Pythonesque charcatures. A vet who seems to hate all animals, except Friesian cows, move out to the country. They do little other than argue and he is absolutely vile to hear and seems to be manic depressive. The guy he works with seems oblivious to most things and the guy's wife has the demeanour of Windsor Davies.

It is really quite mad. Not quite as mad as the next episode about a haunted Aquarium or haunted Dolphin or something. That was more talky. It's about a seedy pair of cinema and strip club owners. Again, a lot of unlikeable characters and a woman who was in love with a dead dolphin. I think that's what it was about, I wasn't paying attention.

The next was where it really kicked off. A washed-up actor played byBernard Horsfall, works as the guy in a suit in horror films and is bullied by the guy from Doomwatch. Again mostly unlikeable characters but ones you love to hate and enjoy seeing their comeuppance. This might be my favourite.

After that, Pauline Quirk plays a disaffected teenager who works in a supermarket. Lots of action but after while watching stuff fall of shelves gets a bit tiresome. The Director got a couple of great shots of Pauline giving menacing looks while rice crispies and cornflakes are flying around her head though. Worth it for that. Her boss was a right c*nt.

The penultimate one was about a RSPCA inspector and a guy trying to turn himself into a werewolf. I love a good cantankerous mad professor. And the one after was about rats. The last four were definitely the best. I think the 3rd was my fave.
shuzbot

Also, there was an episode of Against the Crowd on there, written by Kneale, called Murrain. It was about a witch and apparently inspired the Beasts series.

I also see he wrote a comedy called Kinvig. It looks awful, has anyone seen it?
The Ginger Cat
Site Manager
Site Manager

shuzbot wrote:Also, there was an episode of Against the Crowd on there, written by Kneale, called Murrain. It was about a witch and apparently inspired the Beasts series.

Saw it when I was a kid. It had a nice bit of crumpet in it, wasn't very funny and we all thought (my parents and I) that it was a lot of sh*t. That's about all I can recall.
Servorobot
Head of Security
Head of Security

Kneale also wrote the missing Out of the Unknown episode The Chopper, about a haunted motorcycle (or something like that) and starring some bloke called Patrick Troughton.
shuzbot

The Ginger Cat wrote:
shuzbot wrote:Also, there was an episode of Against the Crowd on there, written by Kneale, called Murrain. It was about a witch and apparently inspired the Beasts series.

Saw it when I was a kid. It had a nice bit of crumpet in it, wasn't very funny and we all thought (my parents and I) that it was a lot of sh*t. That's about all I can recall.
Seen a couple of eps now and that's a fair summing up. The characters are so unlikeable.
'teleportNOW!'

Yeah, M from James Bond is in it and dies of a heart attack at the end!
'teleportNOW!'

BEASTS is by no means perfect, but like all Nigel Kneale stuff, it's got some seriously bonkers bits in it, and I challenge anyone to watch it without having their brain slightly altered - it's particularly as Kneale's scenarios nearly always happen in "real" domestic settings.

"During Barty's Party" is the best one, I think (that's the one with the rats) - it's basically a 2-hander play with Oliver Letwin from Tinker Tailor Spy / Smiley's People and his wife. You never actually see the rats! The whole thing is just them going hysterical in a living room being menaced by rats that are realised entirely by scuttling noises. It's absolutely text book how-to-do-theatre-on-a-budget-on-Telly-in-your-living-room. Or something. The atmosphere the actors and sound effects create, of total panic and death, is incredibly palpable, and not one single Talons of Hong Kong Phoey Giant Hamster Fail in sight :lol:

The "Baby" one with the crazy vets (Simon McKorkindale & TP McKenna) has some very creepy moments too.
Kajaboy

I love 'Special Offer' with Sharon Theodopolopodous.
My next door neighbour mixed up her KY jelly with the superglue. I asked her how she managed that but her lips are sealed.
The Ginger Cat
Site Manager
Site Manager

According to Toby Haddock's Twitter, he's done an adaption of Nigel Kneale's lost TV play The Road for BBC Radio 4's Fright Night thing to be broadcast around Halloween.

The Ginger Cat
Site Manager
Site Manager

Something for later tonight, I think.

The Ginger Cat
Site Manager
Site Manager

The new adaption of Nigel Kneale's The Road is gonna be on BBC Radio 4 this Saturday.

Nigel Kneale’s ‘The Road’: Toby Hadoke Interview
The Ginger Cat
Site Manager
Site Manager

The Ginger Cat wrote:The new adaption of Nigel Kneale's The Road is gonna be on BBC Radio 4 this Saturday.

Nigel Kneale’s ‘The Road’: Toby Hadoke Interview
I gave this a listen the other night. It was done quite good really - had an eerie atmosphere to it what with the sound effects and all that. Rather neat (chilling) twist in the tale ending too. Gattis wasn't bad in it either. Very enjoyable.
The Ginger Cat
Site Manager
Site Manager

Interesting little article...

Nigel Kneale and ‘Halloween III’
Servorobot
Head of Security
Head of Security

I bought The Crunch and Other Stories at the last Network sale.

It may be a surprise but I haven’t got around to watching it yet.

Thinking about giving The Stone Tape another spin at Christmas though.
shuzbot

The Woman in Black [BLU-RAY] [PRE-ORDER]
£15.00

https://networkonair.com/all-products/3 ... pre-order-
The Ginger Cat
Site Manager
Site Manager

shuzbot wrote:The Woman in Black [BLU-RAY] [PRE-ORDER]
£15.00

https://networkonair.com/all-products/3 ... pre-order-
F***ing fantastic!! I'm so getting this. Much better than the film version in my humble. :D
Servorobot
Head of Security
Head of Security

I finally got around to watching some more Beasts.

I watched Baby, an effective chiller with an open ended ending guaranteed to annoy the likes of Shuz.

Starred a very young Joyce Barnaby and Simon McKorkindale as her ambitious, egotistical pr*ck of a husband.

Old Hieronymous himself (Norman Jones) bobbed up as a builder.
shuzbot

Servorobot wrote: I watched Baby, an effective chiller with an open ended ending guaranteed to annoy the likes of Shuz.
Why? I like open endings :?
Servorobot
Head of Security
Head of Security

shuzbot wrote:
Servorobot wrote: I watched Baby, an effective chiller with an open ended ending guaranteed to annoy the likes of Shuz.
Why? I like open endings :?
:D
paulhickling
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Loved watching Beasts on broadcast so had to get the Network dvd. One that annoyed me was the ghost dolphin one. There's nothing about the set that looks like a dolphin could remotely live in it. Or have I got this wrong?

Return to “Fantasy, Horror and Supernatural”

• Information