The Avengers (1961): UK Series

"Shaken, not stirred", "We're the Sweeney, son - and we haven't had any dinner" and all that jazz.
User avatar
LizR
Irony Maiden
Irony Maiden
Posts: 20867
Joined: Wed Dec 02, 2009 9:01 am
Location: Auckland, New Zealand
Contact:

Servorobot wrote:That’ll teach me not to use the words ‘the episode’.
And spoil my chance to make a several thousand years old joke? :D
"[this story] dates from the period in which science fiction fans did not take themselves quite so seriously as nowadays, and those who made religion from an enthusiasm were generally mocked for it." -- Michael Moorcock, from the introduction to "Elric at the End of Time" (1983). Lucky that comment could never be applied to modern SF fans... :roll:

My crosswords are on my homepage & Android phones - install Alphacross and select "Māyā's Cryptic Puzzles" :D
User avatar
Servorobot
Head of Security
Head of Security
Posts: 9721
Joined: Thu Feb 06, 2014 11:50 am
Location: Melbourne, Australia
Contact:

Yes, according to my copy of the DWB Compendium and the excellent article by Richard Molesworth regarding the archival status of other well known British telefantasy the negative of The Golden Fleece was thought lost and then a print was found and a new negative struck.

The excellent book Two Against the Underworld has an account of how the print of the episode was misplaced and ultimately located.
bobmcpherson
 
 
Posts: 4859
Joined: Tue Nov 11, 2014 5:19 pm
Contact:

THE MEDICINE MEN..a Red herring mass murder plot story and SECOND SIGHT...a clever crime story.

Another thing that is great about the early series is just how many actors and actresses show up VERY early in their careers.

The first has a gloriously eccentric performance by Peter Barkworth while the second has an oh so young Peter Bowles at his most vicious and a great performance by John Carson.

Also the camera just makes love to Honor Blackman. There is actually scene where Macnee is doing plot exposition and the camera just ignores him and runs lovingly across the length of her body. And those leather outfits must have cost a fortune.....with a matching eye patch no less!!!

Meanwhile Macnee goes toe to toe with one high powered performer after another and holds his own easily.

:D
bobmcpherson
 
 
Posts: 4859
Joined: Tue Nov 11, 2014 5:19 pm
Contact:

THE GRANDEUR THAT WAS ROME........now THIS is an ep that should interest everyone...even those who cannot deal with the show pre-Rigg. A bizarre secret organization based on the Roman Empire. A nutter criminal mastermind. Biological warfare on a planetary scale in a credible attempt at World Conquest. The cast gets to speak in Latin and quote The Bard.

And someone from SPEARHEAD FROM SPACE that is unrecognizable.

8-)
User avatar
Servorobot
Head of Security
Head of Security
Posts: 9721
Joined: Thu Feb 06, 2014 11:50 am
Location: Melbourne, Australia
Contact:

bobmcpherson wrote:THE GRANDEUR THAT WAS ROME........now THIS is an ep that should interest everyone...even those who cannot deal with the show pre-Rigg. A bizarre secret organization based on the Roman Empire. A nutter criminal mastermind. Biological warfare on a planetary scale in a credible attempt at World Conquest. The cast gets to speak in Latin and quote The Bard.

And someone from SPEARHEAD FROM SPACE that is unrecognizable.

8-)
Channing himself (Hugh Burden) wasn't it?

Probably unrecognisable because he's not acting all weird and creepy.

Have you watched anymore of these Bob?
User avatar
The Ginger Cat
Site Manager
Site Manager
Posts: 11734
Joined: Mon Apr 29, 2013 11:39 pm
Location: Hell
Contact:

Worth a watch.

From the Archive Ep. 2: The Avengers: The Cybernauts Trilogy Blu-Ray Review & Comparison

User avatar
Servorobot
Head of Security
Head of Security
Posts: 9721
Joined: Thu Feb 06, 2014 11:50 am
Location: Melbourne, Australia
Contact:

The Ginger Cat wrote:Worth a watch.

From the Archive Ep. 2: The Avengers: The Cybernauts Trilogy Blu-Ray Review & Comparison

Have you got this set GC?

I didn’t bother as I’ve got the previous Blu-Ray versions of the first two stories and I’d prefer to wait for the rest of the New Avengers to appear on Blu-Ray before I coughed up (unless it’s at Monty Python prices).

Greg’s vlog is very worthwhile if you like The Avengers.
User avatar
The Ginger Cat
Site Manager
Site Manager
Posts: 11734
Joined: Mon Apr 29, 2013 11:39 pm
Location: Hell
Contact:

Servorobot wrote:
The Ginger Cat wrote:Worth a watch.

From the Archive Ep. 2: The Avengers: The Cybernauts Trilogy Blu-Ray Review & Comparison

Have you got this set GC?

I didn’t bother as I’ve got the previous Blu-Ray versions of the first two stories and I’d prefer to wait for the rest of the New Avengers to appear on Blu-Ray before I coughed up (unless it’s at Monty Python prices).

Greg’s vlog is very worthwhile if you like The Avengers.
Yeah I've got the Cybernauts set. Still in it's shrink wrapper (with perfect, un-dog-eared corners! ;) ) and unwatched I'm afraid. Just don't seem to get the time and when I do, it's zzzzzzz....
User avatar
LizR
Irony Maiden
Irony Maiden
Posts: 20867
Joined: Wed Dec 02, 2009 9:01 am
Location: Auckland, New Zealand
Contact:

The Ginger Cat wrote:Just don't seem to get the time and when I do, it's zzzzzzz....
Well, you are a cat.
"[this story] dates from the period in which science fiction fans did not take themselves quite so seriously as nowadays, and those who made religion from an enthusiasm were generally mocked for it." -- Michael Moorcock, from the introduction to "Elric at the End of Time" (1983). Lucky that comment could never be applied to modern SF fans... :roll:

My crosswords are on my homepage & Android phones - install Alphacross and select "Māyā's Cryptic Puzzles" :D
User avatar
Servorobot
Head of Security
Head of Security
Posts: 9721
Joined: Thu Feb 06, 2014 11:50 am
Location: Melbourne, Australia
Contact:

The Ginger Cat wrote:
Servorobot wrote:
The Ginger Cat wrote:Worth a watch.

From the Archive Ep. 2: The Avengers: The Cybernauts Trilogy Blu-Ray Review & Comparison

Have you got this set GC?

I didn’t bother as I’ve got the previous Blu-Ray versions of the first two stories and I’d prefer to wait for the rest of the New Avengers to appear on Blu-Ray before I coughed up (unless it’s at Monty Python prices).

Greg’s vlog is very worthwhile if you like The Avengers.
Yeah I've got the Cybernauts set. Still in it's shrink wrapper (with perfect, un-dog-eared corners! ;) ) and unwatched I'm afraid. Just don't seem to get the time and when I do, it's zzzzzzz....
Tell me about it.

I’ve got two DW Blu-Ray sets still wrapped in plastic and I keep buying more stuff. This is after I had a cull.

I don’t fall asleep though, unless reality TV is being watched.
paulhickling
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
Posts: 2573
Joined: Tue Mar 23, 2010 7:53 pm
Contact:

Mildly shocked not to see anyone mentioning Diana Rigg's recent passing. The greatest of all Steed's partners - bar none. Her two series are perfect for me, and I prefer the colour ones. So popped Return of the Cybernauts on last night as a mini tribute. Wonderful.
User avatar
StarQuake
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
Posts: 1355
Joined: Tue Dec 17, 2013 7:20 pm
Contact:

paulhickling wrote:
Sat Sep 12, 2020 3:27 pm
Mildly shocked not to see anyone mentioning Diana Rigg's recent passing. The greatest of all Steed's partners - bar none. Her two series are perfect for me, and I prefer the colour ones. So popped Return of the Cybernauts on last night as a mini tribute. Wonderful.
We had a thread on it.
"Brace yourself for disappointment." - ericthehalfabee
User avatar
The Ginger Cat
Site Manager
Site Manager
Posts: 11734
Joined: Mon Apr 29, 2013 11:39 pm
Location: Hell
Contact:

StarQuake wrote:
Sat Sep 12, 2020 4:21 pm
paulhickling wrote:
Sat Sep 12, 2020 3:27 pm
Mildly shocked not to see anyone mentioning Diana Rigg's recent passing. The greatest of all Steed's partners - bar none. Her two series are perfect for me, and I prefer the colour ones. So popped Return of the Cybernauts on last night as a mini tribute. Wonderful.
We had a thread on it.
That we did. Here: RIP Diana Rigg
paulhickling
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
Posts: 2573
Joined: Tue Mar 23, 2010 7:53 pm
Contact:

Oops :oops:
User avatar
iank
 
 
Posts: 6156
Joined: Sat Apr 06, 2013 1:40 am
Contact:

Image
(Doctor Who) has been hijacked and redefined as a lucrative modern franchise. They've literally taken a square peg and painfully made it fit a round hole by taking enormous liberties with much of its fundamental essence. There's no turning back now.

- ozymandias, The Leisure Hive 2010
User avatar
Servorobot
Head of Security
Head of Security
Posts: 9721
Joined: Thu Feb 06, 2014 11:50 am
Location: Melbourne, Australia
Contact:

I really need to finish my Cathy Gale marathon and get on to Diana Rigg’s first season.
Post Reply

Return to “Spies, Sleuths and Coppers”

  • Information
  • Who is online

    Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests