Ian Levine's take on things regarding the new assistant:
Ian Levine‏ @IanLevine

PT 1- Let me see
The new Doctor is a woman
The new companion is Bradley Walsh
They've now dropped it to 10 eps
Its not back for another year
Ian Levine‏ @IanLevine

PT 2- WOOP DE DOO Are you all so scared of upsetting anyone you're all going along with this sh*t - Chibnall makes JNT look like Orson Wells
Ian Levine‏ @IanLevine

I've seen Jodie Whitaker. I've seen Bradley Walsh. It'll be Dermot O'Leary next.
Ian Levine‏ @IanLevine

It's a parallel universe where the Doctor becomes a not very good female actress and the companion is an embarrassing game show host.
Ian Levine‏ @IanLevine 41m41 minutes ago

Any possible remote hope of me trying to keep an open mind vanished when they compounded it all by casting Bradley Walsh.
Ian Levine‏ @IanLevine 43m43 minutes ago

At least Ken Dodd and Bonnie Langford played opposite a male Doctor. The BBC have gone quite mad.
The Doctor died with Capaldi. The Chibnall era is non-canon.

There are no Doctors before William Hartnell.

Without respect, we reject.

#NotmyDoctor
anderscja

I did sense a class vibe when I looked at the new cast photo, and we all know how that turned out.

I just hope they are going to get decent scripts and a half decent budget. There is far more competition out there on TV these days then there was even 7-8 years ago for the show to have bad scripts and poor looking special effects. That's partly why ratings have fallen over the years.
iank

Ian. :floorroll:
(Doctor Who) has been hijacked and redefined as a lucrative modern franchise. They've literally taken a square peg and painfully made it fit a round hole by taking enormous liberties with much of its fundamental essence. There's no turning back now.

- ozymandias, The Leisure Hive 2010
Spam Fritter

I agree with MR K's views in the main, always well balanced.

I like to take little swipes at the 'new' show. In the main they are cheeky.

It's a mediocre show at best for me and has been since its return. Not really been overly impressed with any casting other than Eccleston and John Hurt.

But that's my opinion, and I am one in millions, so it matters very little what i think. The show will go on regardless what I think.

Doesn't mean I have to watch it. I often think it's more generational for me as I watch less television now as I really struggle to engage with most of it. I watch older, dare I say classic, television more often than not. Which makes me think dinosaurs like me are stuck in their ways and not accepting enough of change, Neophobia?
iank

Nah, it's just that most of its sh*t. There are still good modern shows that I've enjoyed - Elementary is very good in the main, and Person of Interest was the best genre show since Buffy - so it can't just be me. Nope, it's just that most of it is mediocre and often more obsessed with being PC than actually being entertaining.
Hmm, sounds familiar... :mrgreen:
(Doctor Who) has been hijacked and redefined as a lucrative modern franchise. They've literally taken a square peg and painfully made it fit a round hole by taking enormous liberties with much of its fundamental essence. There's no turning back now.

oldschool

Well said Ian Levine. The Orson Welles and Dermot O'Leary gags are probably more closer to reality than many of us realise.
Machine Against The Rage
oldschool

So how does development and characterisation of no less than three companions progress in 10 maybe one hour episode ? Well it doesn't. Walsh is the key player here. To be honest, he's a decent actor but I suspect he'll be brought in for the humour. He's there to deflect attention away from the main character if she's not up to the job and to have fun trading off the other two nonentities.
Great result for Chibbers but dreadful consequences for the rest of the dwindling viewing public.
Machine Against The Rage
Servorobot
Senior Moderator
Senior Moderator

Obviously Ian Levine hasn’t seen Law and Order UK or Coronation Street. I thought Bradley Walsh was good in those.

Don’t know who Dermot O’Leary is, didn’t he play for Arsenal?
-JMW-

oldschool wrote:So how does development and characterisation of no less than three companions progress in 10 maybe one hour episode ? Well it doesn't. Walsh is the key player here. To be honest, he's a decent actor but I suspect he'll be brought in for the humour. He's there to deflect attention away from the main character if she's not up to the job and to have fun trading off the other two nonentities.
Great result for Chibbers but dreadful consequences for the rest of the dwindling viewing public.
The same way as....
Hartnell era Who
The Walking Dead
Star Trek
Early Troughton era Who
Buffy
Twin Peaks
Pertwee era Who
Stranger Things
Red Dwarf
Peter Davison era Who
Broadchurch
Daredevil
etc etc etc....

It's referred to as an "ensemble", and characterisations are usually onion-peeled over several weeks.

grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference.

JMW

The way things are going it'll be down to a ten minute webcast in a few years! A series of five minute episodes like Night of the Doctor.

Bradley's the only thing I've heard so far that gives me hope. He'll be there for the senior element (a reversal of Harry's inclusion in Season 12?), as yes, the rest DO look like a they've walked in from Class. Surely he won't be doing many 'chase' scenes? :lol: And isn't there another regular cast member not in the publicity photo? Those guest characters are going to have a right fight on their hands for screen time, with only five more minutes!

Unless it is indeed one long story like Broadchurch and ... Children of Earth.
oldschool

-JMW- wrote:
oldschool wrote:So how does development and characterisation of no less than three companions progress in 10 maybe one hour episode ? Well it doesn't. Walsh is the key player here. To be honest, he's a decent actor but I suspect he'll be brought in for the humour. He's there to deflect attention away from the main character if she's not up to the job and to have fun trading off the other two nonentities.
The same way as....
Hartnell era Who
The Walking Dead
Star Trek
Early Troughton era Who
Buffy
Twin Peaks
Pertwee era Who
Stranger Things
Red Dwarf
Peter Davison era Who
Broadchurch
Daredevil
etc etc etc....

It's referred to as an "ensemble", and characterisations are usually onion-peeled over several weeks.
Sticking with the Who theme, in the black and white days the programme was on almost every Saturday night of the year. That's a far cry from cramming everything into a stand alone 50 minute episode nowadays for 10 weeks.
As for Red Dwarf, it was basically the same characters in every series, they weren't developed in just a few episodes, it was over a much longer period of time.
Machine Against The Rage
-JMW-

oldschool wrote:
-JMW- wrote:
The same way as....
Hartnell era Who
The Walking Dead
Star Trek
Early Troughton era Who
Buffy
Twin Peaks
Pertwee era Who
Stranger Things
Red Dwarf
Peter Davison era Who
Broadchurch
Daredevil
etc etc etc....

Sticking with the Who theme, in the black and white days the programme was on almost every Saturday night of the year. That's a far cry from cramming everything into a stand alone 50 minute episode nowadays for 10 weeks.
As for Red Dwarf, it was basically the same characters in every series, they weren't developed in just a few episodes, it was over a much longer period of time.
Yet, Red Dwarf managed it straight off the bat with only six half-hour episodes per year - surely it was doomed to fail in the first two series if there was no time to develop these characters. However, we know that fans took to the crew quickly.

I think those who claim that ensemble casts can't develop character are demonstrably wrong - as the examples above prove. I understand that the immediacy and slicker style of the show does grate with those who have become attached to much viewed existing material, but this is yet another storm in a teacup complaint from those who want to grab any brickbat they can find. It's based on ignorance, so let's just see what happens when we actually have footage on screen before we gush praise or vehemently condemn it.

grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference.

JMW
Head Moderator

oldschool wrote:[Post removed - Off-topic, a bit insulting, etc. GC.]
Insults of that variety from anyone we do not condone or tolerate. This is a friendly forum and we need to respect each others views, even if we do not like them.

Also this thread is starting to veer wildly off topic and as good as the debate is it should be taken elsewhere.

Now, for the spoilers. What is going on at the former exhibition in Cardiff.
J'aime Le Chameau Orteil.
Zarius

I read somewhere the read-through for the first episode was this morning, but can't find a link verifying it so far
The Ginger Cat
Site Manager
Site Manager

Zarius wrote:I read somewhere the read-through for the first episode was this morning, but can't find a link verifying it so far
Article from The Mirror, dated Sunday 22nd October 2017, you have to scroll down a fair bit to find it.
The cast will join up for the first script read-through today, with the first of 10 episodes airing on BBC1 next autumn.
http://www.mirror.co.uk/tv/tv-news/doct ... d-11389200
Zarius

Sam Hoyle, who also worked on Broadchurch as well as The Great Train Robbery movies and Chibnall's short lived Camelot, has joined the team as executive co-producer

http://www.digitalspy.com/tv/doctor-who ... series-11/
The Ginger Cat
Site Manager
Site Manager

Looks like some geezer called Jamie Childs is directing the opening block or summat.
Spam Fritter

Checked out the Mirror article, and I have nothing but apathy towards the show and cast.

I know I shouldn't judge it like this, and feel I am being too intolerant of change.

I am sure it will be okay.
thecypher

Spam Fritter wrote:Checked out the Mirror article, and I have nothing but apathy towards the show and cast.

I know I shouldn't judge it like this, and feel I am being too intolerant of change.

I am sure it will be okay.
Really? I think they're being patronising as f*ck.
"You know, the very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. They don't alter their views to fit the facts. They alter the facts to fit their views, which can be uncomfortable if you happen to be one of the facts that needs altering."
iank

+100000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000. :D

Return to “SERIES 11 SPOILERS”

• Information