SERIES 12 SPOILERS

Bowtiesarecool
Former Team Member
Former Team Member

Sounds like humanity is doomed then. 8-)
The Doctor died with Capaldi. The Chibnall era is non-canon.

There are no Doctors before William Hartnell.

Without respect, we reject.

#NotmyDoctor
iank

Extinction is a preferable alternative. :lol:
(Doctor Who) has been hijacked and redefined as a lucrative modern franchise. They've literally taken a square peg and painfully made it fit a round hole by taking enormous liberties with much of its fundamental essence. There's no turning back now.

- ozymandias, The Leisure Hive 2010
thecypher

Zarius wrote:Chibnall on coming back for series thirteen and when we might expect it
Doctor Who showrunner Chris Chibnall has confirmed that he is returning to oversee the next season of the British time travel show. The current season, the second on which Chibnall has been showrunner and the second to star Jodie Whittaker, is airing Sunday nights on BBC America.

“I do know I’m coming back for a third season,” Chibnall tells EW. “Yeah, absolutely. We are already planning the stories. Once you see the end of this series, you’ll realize there are some stories we’re already setting in train for next series. We have very big, ambitious plans for our third series together.”

“It will be next year sometime, hopefully, unless my holiday goes on for a really long time, which is always tempting,” he says.]
https://ew.com/tv/2020/02/19/doctor-who ... rd-season/
Guess that's another year I won't be watching then :D
"That’s monstrous! Vaporisation without representation is against the constitution!"
LizR
Irony Maiden
Irony Maiden

Probably splitting hairs as usual, but shouldn't that be "Ascent" of the Cybermen, unless it means their actual entry into Heaven - which admittedly we saw them in not so long ago, come to think of it - because the Ascension specifically refers to Jesus' (alleged) ascent into Heaven while still alive*.

Either this has subtle religious meanings that aren't going to become apparent until the finale, or Mr Chibs isn't very good with language.

(Perish the thort!)

*possibly mr borusa will correct me on this, but that's my unuderstanding.
Zarius
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Cook'd and Bom'd forums have another advance review up
Episode 9: Ascension of The Cybermen. As usual, no spoilers, just some thoughts.

An episode in which some Cybermen ascend.

It's always difficult to fully judge the first part of a two-part story. They present the viewer with elements which, while initially confusing, should hopefully be resolved satisfactorily in the concluding episode. Yadda yadda yadda. But even with three charitable yaddas in mind, Ascension is a bit of a mess.

It's poorly structured and paced. It veers from hectic action to long, boring sections of characters, as usual, explaining the plot to each other. In more capable hands, these quieter moments would serve as engrossing, well-written interludes before we get to the next exciting set-piece, and that's what Chibnall thinks he's doing. But because his dialogue is dog¤¤¤¤, it feels like someone pausing a video game to review what's just happened before starting the next bit.*

It also features a prominent subplot which is supposed to be intriguing - what can it all mean?! - but all I could think while watching it was, "Oh ¤¤¤¤, Chris, where are you going with this?"

If it was RTD or Moffat, I'd give them the benefit of the doubt, but I have no confidence in Chibnall and his journeyman's notion of crazy high concepts.

It starts like gangbusters, descends into tedium in the middle, then demands that you watch part two because, well, we're in this for the long haul, aren't we? Might as well see how it all pans out.

It does contain a couple of nice Cybes-based visuals, Whittaker's Doctor gets angry again (some depth to her character, better late than never), and a certain CaB poster will have his work cut out for him.

* I don't know anything about video games, but it's probably quite like that.
Advance reactions from the paid media:

David Opie
This week’s episode of #DoctorWho ends with the mother of all cliffhangers. That might have been the most tense episode I’ve watched all season.
https://twitter.com/DavidOpie/status/12 ... 3343044608

Morgan Jefferey
#DoctorWho is terrific again this week. Properly thrilling stuff. My heart was pounding throughout.
https://twitter.com/morganjeffery/statu ... 4466622465
LizR
Irony Maiden
Irony Maiden

Now I'm getting nostaligic for Moffat and RTD, dammit.

Zarius
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Torchwood has been reuploaded to BBC I-Player

https://www.instagram.com/p/B81ROHCHZ9H ... ubextaklz7
Zarius
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Chris Chibnall in conversation about Series 12

https://www.doctorwho.tv/news/?article= ... jWbaeZ7-2k

Highlights

How does the Thirteenth Doctor feel about the Cybermen?

I always feel that the Doctor and the Cybermen, and this is what I’ve brought to the story and Jodie’s Doctor’s reaction to meeting them, is that there is quite a lot of baggage there. The Doctor has experienced casualties at the hands of the Cybermen - Bill Potts was turned into a Cyberman. Also, as a kid who was 12 in 1982 when the character of Adric died at the hands of the Cybermen under Peter Davison’s Doctor, I’m not sure I’ve ever fully recovered from the trauma of that and I’m not sure the Doctor has either! So I think she’s worried and she realises as the story goes on how much risk and danger she’s put her friends into and she’s brought them into harm's way.

You always feel with these returning monsters, you always want to dig into the Doctor’s emotional relationship - they’re not just arch enemies that don’t feel anything about one another. This Doctor feels things deeply, so just like her relationship with Sacha Dhawan’s Master is complex, so is her relationship with the Cybermen. She knows what they’re capable of, she’s seen it, she’s felt it. I wanted to bring that out. It’s personal.
Will we learn more about Jo Martin’s Doctor in the finale?

The mystery of the ‘Timeless Child’ along with the questions around Jo’s Doctor from episode five… you would hope that we would be getting some answers in the finale. I think viewers would be right to hope for that. Obviously it goes back to episodes one and two with Sacha Dhawan’s Master telling the Doctor that everything she knows is a lie. As we come into the final two parter we will learn much more about what that means for the Doctor.
What can you tell us about Julie Graham’s character in the final two episodes?

Her character is called Ravio and she is one of the human refugees. She’s part of the group that’s on the run from the Cybermen. The brilliant thing about Julie is, if you are a human on the run from the Cybermen, Julie Graham is one of the people you would want alongside you to try and keep you alive! She’s completely brilliant. Ravio is a no-nonsense action hero, but this group is also very ordinary - they’re teachers and mechanics, they’re not soldiers. They’re the last vestiges of humanity. The thing about Julie is she has the ability to make you love a character and make you understand their toughness, their warmth, their pain, their humour.
If you could bring absolutely anybody back from the show’s history to introduce to the Thirteenth Doctor, who would you choose?

I would really love to bring back Sarah-Jane. People working on the show now worked with Lis Sladen and everybody still remembers her so fondly and talks about her a lot. I would love to see her with the Thirteenth Doctor.

I would love to have brought back Harry Sullivan too, played by the wonderful Ian Marter from Tom Baker’s first season. I would have loved to see Sarah and Harry nowadays to check in with them. It’s a credit to those actors, they are indelible in my life and memories and those of many others. It’s so sad that they’re not with us anymore.

To be honest, the canon of Doctor Who is filled with amazing characters: I’d love to see Ace back, I’d love to see Tegan back, I’d love to see Amy and Rory… the list goes on.
Bowtiesarecool
Former Team Member
Former Team Member

I'd love to see Chibnall gone.

That would be the icing on my cake. 8-)
The Doctor died with Capaldi. The Chibnall era is non-canon.

There are no Doctors before William Hartnell.

Without respect, we reject.

#NotmyDoctor
The Ginger Cat
Site Manager
Site Manager

FIRST LOOK: Episode 9 | Ascension of the Cybermen | Doctor Who: Series 12

LizR
Irony Maiden
Irony Maiden

A venn diagram of Chibnall's view of the story and everyone else's would look like....
Rubbernecking

The Cyberships in the clip reminded me of The Last Jedi! Not a bad film for me, in that I've come to love how TLJ just went "Bollocks to it all!".
I'm not thinking the closing will be The Last Jedi, but good to see that it's attempting to compete with Rian Johnson!
Even though it'll probably be just talking with a few shots like that peppered sparingly probably.
paulhickling
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Ooh. That looked great. And then the regulars turned up....
Zarius
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Got word from GB that there's something to look for twenty six minutes into the episode, described as 'fanwank'

...As opposed to a load of w*nk I guess :shock:
The Ginger Cat
Site Manager
Site Manager

Episode 10 | Next Time Trailer | The Timeless Children | Doctor Who: Series 12

Zarius
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Radio Times cover

"Mama...just killed canon..."
Zarius
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Servorobot
Head of Security
Head of Security

Zarius wrote:Radio Times cover

"Mama...just killed canon..."
:floorroll:

Thunderbolt and lightning very very frightening!
date542

cast list for "Timeless Children"

major spoilers..

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt9361046/fullcredits
Zarius
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

date542 wrote:cast list for "Timeless Children"

major spoilers..

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt9361046/fullcredits
IMBD can be edited by anyone though. Not a reliable source

Return to “SERIES 12 SPOILERS”