Where should a classic series fan start with the new series?

For discussion of the new series from 2005 to the present day hosted by Planet Mondas Forum.
jtiner

Can anyone provide some recommendations on where to start with the new series if you're a "classic series only" fan?
I'm definitely a "classic series" type of guy (I'd have to call the third doctor my favorite), so when I first learned of the new series, I was prepared to be disappointed, but gave it a go. I didn't really care for it, and only watched three episodes from series one. I really wasn't interested in what was happening with Rose's family, etc., etc.
Having said that, I was thinking it might be time to try the 2nd/3rd/4th/5th series and see if I might like it. Any suggestions? Any particular epsiode that you'd recommend as a starting point for an old fart 3rd doctor guy like me?
Kajaboy

If you want "gritty" then series 1.
If you want "will they, wont they?" then series 2.
If you want "unrequited love" then series 3.
If you want "humour" then series 4.
If you want "plots that make no sense at all or have been ripped off from the shows history" then series 5-6. :lol:
My next door neighbour mixed up her KY jelly with the superglue. I asked her how she managed that but her lips are sealed.
WHOis007?

Kajaboy wrote:If you want "gritty" then series 1.
If you want "will they, wont they?" then series 2.
If you want "unrequited love" then series 3.
If you want "humour" then series 4.
If you want "plots that make no sense at all or have been ripped off from the shows history" then series 5-6. :lol:
If you want an unbiased opinion instead of Kaja's hatred of anyone not RTD (as I'm sure the next producer will be just as hated for having the gall not to be RTD, as well)....

Assuming you merely don't want to just start at the beginning, I'd recommend Dalek. Tells you everything you need to know about the angle of the new series' Doctor.
"Beat you, cock."

Oh Tom. You and your double entendres.
'teleportNOW!'

I would say "begin at the beginning" but it seems you tried that and gave up!

So the only other thing I would say it that it wasn't until "The Empty Child" ('are you my mummy...?') episode of Season 27 that I actually though "WOAH! This is really good!" ... the episodes prior to that had left me a bit non-plussed.
Kajaboy

WHOis007? wrote:If you want an unbiased opinion instead of Kaja's hatred of anyone not RTD (as I'm sure the next producer will be just as hated for having the gall not to be RTD, as well)....
I do wish people would stop putting words into my mouth. I don't hate anyone involved with Doctor Who thank you very much. Hate is a very strong word and I would prefer people stopped seeing a valid view point as hatred.
My next door neighbour mixed up her KY jelly with the superglue. I asked her how she managed that but her lips are sealed.
actonsteve

The 11th Hour is a very good place to start. its almost a reboot in itself and has a lovely accessible fairytale quality. :Brannigan:
The Nimon

Kajaboy wrote:If you want "plots that make no sense at all or have been ripped off from the shows history" then series 5-6. :lol:
If you want Magic Wand endings, massive plot holes, tons of forced emotion and stories ripped off from the shows history watch series 1 - 4

If you want something more like real Doctor Who watch the Moffat stuff

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
The Judge Judy of Planet Mondax
Mike Nuttall
Site Owner
Site Owner

There seems to be a sudden upsurge of snobbishness about the RTD era... some fans should remember that Doctor Who was off the air for sixteen years until RTD came along - unless you count that dreadful piece of crap that was the TV Movie, which only proves how easily it could have all gone wrong.
The best chance for achieving peace and prosperity, for the maximum number of people worldwide, is to pursue the cause of liberty.

If you find this to be a worthwhile message, spread it throughout the land.
The Nimon

All very true Mike. RTD did a great job bringing the show back, he wasn't all that perfect as some like to make out though, saying that though he did write some good stuff though. One of his best points was getting the publicity the show needed.
Mike Nuttall
Site Owner
Site Owner

The Nimon wrote:All very true Mike. RTD did a great job bringing the show back, he wasn't all that perfect as some like to make out though, saying that though he did write some good stuff though. One of his best points was getting the publicity the show needed.
I don't think RTD's era was perfect - far from it. There were plenty of things I disliked about it but I can say that about any era of the programme, it doesn't mean I love it any the less.
The best chance for achieving peace and prosperity, for the maximum number of people worldwide, is to pursue the cause of liberty.

If you find this to be a worthwhile message, spread it throughout the land.
LizR
Irony Maiden
Irony Maiden

Mike Nuttall wrote:There seems to be a sudden upsurge of snobbishness about the RTD era... some fans should remember that Doctor Who was off the air for sixteen years until RTD came along - unless you count that dreadful piece of crap that was the TV Movie, which only proves how easily it could have all gone wrong.
And Cinema Verity was keen to do the new series (amongst others), but instead the BBC gave it to Mr Flavour of the Month*, who turned out to know nothing about writing science fiction, or about characterising the Doctor, or even constructing decent stories.

If Verity Lambert had been producing it, you never know, we might have got something decent... :cry:

*Ironically, I recently discovered that RTD also stands for "Ready to Drink" - a pre-mixed alcoholic beverage for those who can't be bothered to mix their own. Flavour of the Month, indeed...
Shaving Foamasi

I disagree about the "snobbishness" towards the RTD era being a "new thing". People have (rightly IMHO) criticised RTD for his "storytelling" lacking coherence, the repetitive nature of his season structures, poor and inconsistent characterisation and his preference for soapy mush over drama since, more or less, 2005. I do not feel it is snobbish to criticise RTD on any of those scores as it is not snobbish for people like Kaja and Ed to defend RTD's era, as they found it entertaining and joyous.

I don't think anyone has ever denied that Doctor Who was popular under his stewardship (except those looking to stir up paranoia that the show was on the verge of being cancelled). There are those of us though who strongly believe that he could still have achieved that level of success and made better drama tis all.
You mean you believed the Doctor would never regenerate into a woman?
LizR
Irony Maiden
Irony Maiden

Shaving Foamasi wrote:I disagree about the "snobbishness" towards the RTD era being a "new thing". People have (rightly IMHO) criticised RTD for his "storytelling" lacking coherence, the repetitive nature of his season structures, poor and inconsistent characterisation and his preference for soapy mush over drama since, more or less, 2005. I do not feel it is snobbish to criticise RTD on any of those scores as it is not snobbish for people like Kaja and Ed to defend RTD's era, as they found it entertaining and joyous.

I don't think anyone has ever denied that Doctor Who was popular under his stewardship (except those looking to stir up paranoia that the show was on the verge of being cancelled). There are those of us though who strongly believe that he could still have achieved that level of success and made better drama tis all.
I'm one of those people who has criticised RTD more or less since 2005, but only on the basis that I think he didn't make as good a job of writing stories as I was hoping, or (IMHO) anything like as good a job as, say, David Whitaker did.
The Nimon

Mike Nuttall wrote:
The Nimon wrote:All very true Mike. RTD did a great job bringing the show back, he wasn't all that perfect as some like to make out though, saying that though he did write some good stuff though. One of his best points was getting the publicity the show needed.
I don't think RTD's era was perfect - far from it. There were plenty of things I disliked about it but I can say that about any era of the programme, it doesn't mean I love it any the less.
Same here really, as i say there was some good bits during his era, what does get my goat though is a small Snobish section of fandom just desperate to slag off the new team, and even willing them to fail, it's just strange.
bingo99

Shaving Foamasi wrote:I disagree about the "snobbishness" towards the RTD era being a "new thing". People have (rightly IMHO) criticised RTD for his "storytelling" lacking coherence, the repetitive nature of his season structures, poor and inconsistent characterisation and his preference for soapy mush over drama since, more or less, 2005. I do not feel it is snobbish to criticise RTD on any of those scores as it is not snobbish for people like Kaja and Ed to defend RTD's era, as they found it entertaining and joyous.
I've always thought RTD's fetishising of the lowest common denominator betrays his own snobbishness towards his audience, in a "this is all you lot can handle" kind of way. And the way he defended manipulative tat like Big Brother and the phone fixing scandal betrayed his attitude towards the viewers. We viewing peasants should be grateful to be used as pawns by the gods of television.
"Scriptwriters are confident they'll make a huge impact. Everyone remembers the Daleks and the Cyberman, but not a lot else if they're honest. The Tritovore will change that. They will last long in the memory" - New Who PR, 2009
LizR
Irony Maiden
Irony Maiden

The Nimon wrote:Same here really, as i say there was some good bits during his era, what does get my goat though is a small Snobish section of fandom just desperate to slag off the new team, and even willing them to fail, it's just strange.
Yes, I agree. I disliked most of RTD's output but I was always willing him to succeed - not that he needed my help on the popularity front, but to succeed by producing something well written. This was of course setting myself up to be disapppointed time after time....probably a bit masochistic, really, given his record. The thing was, I could see that he was capable of producing good stuff, because there were glimmers here and there, but about 95% of the time he just seemed to churn out any old rubbish and expect everyone to believe his hype that it would be "better than ever before". So as bingo99 says, he had no respect for his audience, who were expected to be grateful to get the latest pearls from his massive ego talent - and he was presumably surrounded by a bunch of nodding dogs who told him how wonderful he was, which is fatal for someone with a modest amount of talent, imho. He obviously swallowed it hook line and sinker and became convinced that he was so utterly brilliant he didn't even have to try to obey the usual rules of storytelling. But unfortunately, only a genius can regularly break the rules and make it work. Perhaps the people who saw through him and told him so got booted out, at a pure guess that might have been Eccles and Shearman (only my opinion, I'm not putting words into anyone's mouth of course!)
The Nimon

LizR wrote:
The Nimon wrote:Same here really, as i say there was some good bits during his era, what does get my goat though is a small Snobish section of fandom just desperate to slag off the new team, and even willing them to fail, it's just strange.
Yes, I agree. I disliked most of RTD's output but I was always willing him to succeed - not that he needed my help on the popularity front, but to succeed by producing something well written. This was of course setting myself up to be disapppointed time after time....probably a bit masochistic, really, given his record. The thing was, I could see that he was capable of producing good stuff, because there were glimmers here and there, but about 95% of the time he just seemed to churn out any old rubbish and expect everyone to believe his hype that it would be "better than ever before". So as bingo99 says, he had no respect for his audience, who were expected to be grateful to get the latest pearls from his massive ego talent - and he was presumably surrounded by a bunch of nodding dogs who told him how wonderful he was, which is fatal for someone with a modest amount of talent, imho. He obviously swallowed it hook line and sinker and became convinced that he was so utterly brilliant he didn't even have to try to obey the usual rules of storytelling. But unfortunately, only a genius can regularly break the rules and make it work. Perhaps the people who saw through him and told him so got booted out, at a pure guess that might have been Eccles and Shearman (only my opinion, I'm not putting words into anyone's mouth of course!)
I heard (So this might not be true) that Sherman didn't go back as he didn't like his stuff being rewritten. Totally agree with what you put above. I have to say there's some good stuff in the RTD era, Love the end of Doomsday with Rose and the Doctor never ever ever able to see each other again and then that one tear from the Doctor. Then this was ruined by having the Doctor bursting into tears every other episode, mentipons of Rose every 5 minutes and then bringing her back from a place she could never ever ever return from, made Doomsday a total waste of time.
It makes me laugh when the small faction of fans make comments that Moffat rips off ideas from the shows past and other areas while being totally prepared to ignore that that is excatly what RTD did for his 5 years in charge

I like Moffat better, He comes across as a bit of a big head but he's good at ploting and writing stories that make more sense.
Kajaboy

The Nimon wrote:It makes me laugh when the small faction of fans make comments that Moffat rips off ideas from the shows past and other areas while being totally prepared to ignore that that is excatly what RTD did for his 5 years in charge
There are only so many stories that can be told. It's how you tell them. If RDT stole directly from the shows past I can honestly say it didn't register with me for the most part. The Moffat era steals have been so blatent they as well have had "AKA The Power Of The Daleks" , or which ever story was being ripped off, written in a small font underneath.
The Nimon wrote: I like Moffat better, He comes across as a bit of a big head but he's good at ploting and writing stories that make more sense.
Come Nimon, we have been through this before. Moffat stories do not make any sense at all. :lol:
LizR
Irony Maiden
Irony Maiden

Kajaboy wrote:The Moffat era steals have been so blatant they may as well have had "AKA The Power Of The Daleks" , or which ever story was being ripped off, written in a small font underneath.
"Dalek" was intentionally based on "Power of the Daleks", according to Mr Shearman. However, he took the idea and tried to make something new and interesting out of it, so I have no objections at all. In fact, if new Who was to remake "Power of the Daleks" I'd be over the Moon (or indeed Vulcan).
robbo13

LizR wrote:
Kajaboy wrote:The Moffat era steals have been so blatant they may as well have had "AKA The Power Of The Daleks" , or which ever story was being ripped off, written in a small font underneath.
"Dalek" was intentionally based on "Power of the Daleks", according to Mr Shearman. However, he took the idea and tried to make something new and interesting out of it, so I have no objections at all. In fact, if new Who was to remake "Power of the Daleks" I'd be over the Moon (or indeed Vulcan).

Couldnt agree more! I think it would be great to see some missing stories reimagined, although how they would fit a six parter into the current format would be a challenge!
As for RTD, he did do some good stuff, but this was generally followed by something lame. A good example was in series one where the Doctor realises Rose is imprisoned on the Dalek ship, quality cliff hanger, but within 5 minutes of the next episode he's got her back! Total anticlimax!

Return to “NEW SERIES DISCUSSION”

• Information