Where should a classic series fan start with the new series?

For discussion of the new series from 2005 to the present day hosted by Planet Mondas Forum.
johnshoo

jtiner wrote:
Wed May 11, 2011 5:22 pm
Can anyone provide some recommendations on where to start with the new series if you're a "classic series only" fan?
I'm definitely a "classic series" type of guy (I'd have to call the third doctor my favorite), so when I first learned of the new series, I was prepared to be disappointed, but gave it a go. I didn't really care for it, and only watched three episodes from series one. I really wasn't interested in what was happening with Rose's family, etc., etc.
Having said that, I was thinking it might be time to try the 2nd/3rd/4th/5th series and see if I might like it. Any suggestions? Any particular epsiode that you'd recommend as a starting point for an old fart 3rd doctor guy like me?
A lot of episodes of new Who are standalone, so if you're familiar with the concept of the show you can probably just look up a list of widely regarded fan favourites and be good.

However, the new series does have a couple of decent "jumping on" p0ints:

1. Series 1, Episode 1 "Rose" is the first episode, so obviously that is one. I realize you said you weren't into the "Rose's family" stuff

2. Series 5, Episode 1 "The Eleventh Hour" is the first 11th Doctor (Matt Smith) episode and coincides with a change in showrunner from RTD to Steven Moffat. There's generally less "family drama" in the Moffat era as he focuses more on the "fantastical" elements (for good or for ill).

3. Series 10, Episode 1 "The Pilot" - Despite this being Peter Capaldi's final series, it was written to be something of a "soft reboot". Series 10 also seems generally regarded as being one of the better Moffat series. (From what I can tell?)

4. Series 11, Episode 1 "The Woman Who Fell to Earth" - Jodie Whittaker's first episode, another showrunner changeover from Moffat to Chris Chibnall and another soft reboot of sorts. This is the start to the most current era of the show, so if you want to get off the ground quickly, then this is where to start.
jtiner

johnshoo wrote:
Thu Jul 23, 2020 6:38 pm
jtiner wrote:
Wed May 11, 2011 5:22 pm
Can anyone provide some recommendations on where to start with the new series if you're a "classic series only" fan?
/SNIP/
A lot of episodes of new Who are standalone, so if you're familiar with the concept of the show you can probably just look up a list of widely regarded fan favourites and be good.
However, the new series does have a couple of decent "jumping on" p0ints:
/SNIP/
Thanks for the detailed recommendations!
LizR
Irony Maiden
Irony Maiden

I'd recommend they start by having brain surgery to remove their critical faculties...
Bowtiesarecool
Former Team Member
Former Team Member

Start from the very beginning. 8-)
The Doctor died with Capaldi. The Chibnall era is non-canon.

There are no Doctors before William Hartnell.

Without respect, we reject.

#NotmyDoctor

Return to “NEW SERIES DISCUSSION”

• Information