REWATCHING NEW-WHO: Does It Stand Up to Scrutiny?

For discussion of the new series from 2005 to the present day hosted by Planet Mondas Forum.

Is NEW-WHO Going to Stand the Test of Time as Something to Watch Again and Again?

YES: I can (mostly) happily sit down and rewatch certain episodes
32%
NO: And never speak to me of this again!
68%

Total votes: 28
Cygnus Prime
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

So you've pulled that season box set off the shelf and have decided to immerse yourself in some great New-Who of yesteryear....

But is it so great?

Or are there appallingly lame, crummy, annoying or laughable things screaming out at you from it that you can't believe you missed the first time around?

In short, is old New-Who already looking dated and set to get crummier and crummier as time marches on?

Have some seasons or episodes been worse than others in this regard?

Or is it a set in stone classic that you just know will stand up to endless repeated viewings in the years to come?

Cygnus Prime
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

I could watch an old Classic Who anyday and enjoy it. Yes, even the worst of the worst.

But New Who looks imo a shallow thing indeed in comparison; like an Emperor's New Clothes thing that fooled everybody on the night each episode was broadcast, but now stands revealed with all it's poor c.g.i., it's terrible, terrible wooden and flat acting by supporting actors who really should be drummed out of the business. Self-indulgent scripting and far, far too many episodes that are full of those tension and jeopardy-destroying quips, quips, quips (usually from the gob of the never allowed to be scared companion) that don't allow a profound line of intelligent dialogue in through the cracks.

I watched the Eccleston episodes, wondering how this thing ever became a hit - and also watched DEEP BREATH, wondering when a serious line of dialogue was going to be uttered by a character at all at any point. I waited in vain as all it was was quips, quips, quips and then yet more smartarsed quips in what was, imo, a dreadful debut for Capaldi.

Of course there were exceptional moments and even episodes where all I have listed above weren't the case, but these seemed to be the exception rather than the rule and the New-Who norm seemed to be of little substance and even less rewatch value and more of a showcase for a writer showing off his supposed skills with dialogue and repartee rather than well constructed and affecting drama? :?
iank

Some of Smithy's, I'd say yes. Most of the rest... no.
The Davies era looks worse by the year, and sadly Capaldi's time was pretty much effed from the start, albeit through no fault of the lead actor.
Let's not even start on Nurse Who, the final inevitable result of pandering to toxic idiots who never liked the show to begin with...
(Doctor Who) has been hijacked and redefined as a lucrative modern franchise. They've literally taken a square peg and painfully made it fit a round hole by taking enormous liberties with much of its fundamental essence. There's no turning back now.

- ozymandias, The Leisure Hive 2010
shuzbot

The classic series does because it's more plot-driven. Who wants to rewatch old Eastenders, that's what some of Series comes across as now.
darnall42

Take out the jodie whittaker/chibnall era i would say yes (i've enjoyed some of matt smiths episodes more now than when they first aired) but series 11 i woon't be attemping to re-watch again even though i have it on blu ray ;)
paulhickling
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Having just seen the new Dalek design from the next series on the Spoiler thread and all I can think now is KILL IT! If it had ended with Capaldi I might be able to say I'm a fan of New Who because it's the same series. Classic, TV Movie and New. I feel like I've been duped. It's rebirth in 2005, despite some good stuff, has lead to this.

Now I just want it to end. They seem determined to make a mockery of a once great series.
Sid Rat

Most episodes are thowaway stuff. They're so shallow.

The predominance of single episode stories lasting under 45 minutes never allows time for new locations to be established, characters to become known, plots to develop and tension to build. Two-parters are generally a little better, but genuinely decent stories are few and far between.

To compensate for the lack of time, everything happens at a breakneck pace with frequently rapid, garbled, difficult to catch dialogue and frentic action all accompanied by overbearing music. This distracted many from noticing gaping plotholes the first time around, but they become much more obvious on repeat viewings.

The season arcs grow ever more tedious, with each series constantly trying to one-up the previous one. The Doctor as demi-god known throughout the universe, except when the story requires otherwise, diminishes rather than enhances the character. The grand speeches become ever more cringe-inducing.

The impression one gets is that many episodes were born out of a single 'grand visual' in the mistaken belief that these would be 'wow moments' that impress; the TARDIS towing planets through space, riding a motorbike up the side of the Shard, riding a dinosaur, entering a medieval arena on a tank whilst playing an electric guitar, the moon being an egg etc. Rather than impressive, these are memorable for all the wrong reasons; they're flat out embarrassing. Vacuous, flimsy stories are then woven around these visuals.

Most episodes didn't stand up to scrutiny on first viewing, let alone repeated ones.
Joseph

I'm in the middle of a rewatch for the first time in 6 years and so far I must say, not really.

The Eccelston era is AWFUL. He is woefully miscast, so many of the stories are like parodies of DW, with Anne Robinson Robots, farting aliens, and guns being shoved up people's asses. Also the music is too loud, the Doctor is appallingly written, and the story arc makes no sense. (If one obsolete type 40 TARDIS has the power to eradicate all of the Daleks, then how did the Time Lords lose the war?)

Tennant is more comfortable in the role, and the stories greatly improve with him, but even then Tennant is never the Doctor, and the show never makes any attempt to follow on from the classic era.

Also its far too overblown even just as a tv show in its own right at times. The Jesus Doctor, Doctor/Donna, Handy and Rose, and the Master race all look absolutely ridiculous. They are far more laughable than the bulk of Classic Who. Hell I'm sure most people would be willing to take the poor effects of the classic era, over the lead character being turned into a messiah/tinkerbell hybrid, or Billie Piper getting a second Tennant.

Overall its not without merit, at least not until the Capaldi era, but it really isn't a patch on the original and the proof of that is that even already it hasn't lasted as long. Classic Who smashes New Who on DVD every year. Even younger viewers can see Classic Who is better made.
cloudy day

I think Eccleston and Tennant, although not my favorite Doctors, had some pretty good episodes that I still enjoy. The rest? Mmmmm ... I don’t know.

I still feel like Capaldi was robbed. And he was the best one!
We hope that our early successes make up for the embarrassing mess we’ve become. Like Facebook. Or America.
Eleanor Shellstrop
Cygnus Prime
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

cloudy day wrote:I think Eccleston and Tennant, although not my favorite Doctors, had some pretty good episodes that I still enjoy. The rest? Mmmmm ... I don’t know.

Which leaves an excuse for a shameless plug for the "WHO WAS THE BEST NEW WHO DOCTOR" poll, for anyone who has yet to vote........

viewtopic.php?f=8&t=7208

I too voted for Capaldi, but Smithy currently in the lead by a healthy margin. :)
cloudy day

Cygnus Prime wrote:Which leaves an excuse for a shameless plug for the "WHO WAS THE BEST NEW WHO DOCTOR" poll, for anyone who has yet to vote........

viewtopic.php?f=8&t=7208

I too voted for Capaldi, but Smithy currently in the lead by a healthy margin. :)
Aww, I’d vote twice if I could. Five times even. ;)
We hope that our early successes make up for the embarrassing mess we’ve become. Like Facebook. Or America.
Eleanor Shellstrop
Cygnus Prime
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

I watched some of the Eccleston ones recently - and found the incidental music appallingly cheap and dated imo. Just someone harmonising slushily away on an old keyboard, while trying to tug at our heartstrings at every manipulative opportunity. :death:
DSJR

cloudy day wrote:I think Eccleston and Tennant, although not my favorite Doctors, had some pretty good episodes that I still enjoy. The rest? Mmmmm ... I don’t know.

I agree with the above. I can watch the classic series almost at random and remember the stories with mostly great fondness, but I honestly can't say that for many of the Nu-Who episodes and seasons. Heck, I'm even having to check when this current stuff is even on and I'm kind of watching Jodie on auto-pilot and then pretty much forgetting what the hell the story was about. Interestingly, I can listen to may Big Finish audios and like and remember them, playing them again with appreciation.

Matt Smith was far too young for an oldie like me, but I felt he'd nail it in his late forties and fifties. Sad Capaldi wasn't treated better but unlike many fans, I didn't care for David Tennant, or at least the way he was directed. My wife loves CE so I dare not say anything ;)
LizR
Irony Maiden
Irony Maiden

Cygnus Prime wrote:I too voted for Capaldi, but Smithy currently in the lead by a healthy margin. :)
Darn tooting, even my non-Whovian other half rates him as the best.
cloudy day

DSJR wrote:Matt Smith was far too young for an oldie like me, but I felt he'd nail it in his late forties and fifties. Sad Capaldi wasn't treated better but unlike many fans, I didn't care for David Tennant, or at least the way he was directed. My wife loves CE so I dare not say anything ;)
Gotta keep the peace, LOL. Yeah I think Tennant's Doctor was questionably written (lonely god, lovesick for Rose, NO SECOND CHANCES etc)
Eleanor Shellstrop
Cygnus Prime
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Watched THE SILURIANS over the course of two days recently. Thoroughly enjoyed it.

I honestly think that the test of time will truly level large swathes of New Who to a dusty, unwatched relic (with people saying how they used to love it, but actually never going back to it), I suspect while Classic will be watched and studied for many years to come.
Cygnus Prime
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Travis has no problem with rewatching them.....

I'm Going to Rewatch 'Doctor Who'! (2005-2020)

Zarius
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Cygnus Prime wrote:Travis has no problem with rewatching them.....

I'm Going to Rewatch 'Doctor Who'! (2005-2020)

Yeah, but he's a massive shill for Nu Who, and Council of Geek has kind of done the same thing anyway
LizR
Irony Maiden
Irony Maiden

Who is that guy with the lunatic stare?

Never mind, whoever he is, he hasn't yet realised that his "patrons" (is that really what he said?) are clearly amused by the thought of watching him plough through all of what is affectionately known as New Who and trying to keep saying positive things about it. (Hopefully they will eventually tire of their cruel amusement and let him in on the secret.)
Servorobot
Head of Security
Head of Security

Some are worth watching, most aren’t. Sort of the reverse of the Classic Series, but anyone who thinks the Classic Series is blemish free are seriously deluding themselves.

Smith was fine until that Let’s Kill Hitler monstrosity, then it was all downhill.

The question should then be asked did Moffat lose his mojo because he got greedy and tried to have two shows going at the same time?

Tenant was by far the most popular ratings wise, so I can only conclude the show was massively popular with misty eyed schoolgirls at the time.

Capaldi should have been the best by a million miles, but the writing was just sh*t (although still better than it is now).

Return to “NEW SERIES DISCUSSION”

• Information