Chibnall or Moffat, who was the better showrunner?

For discussion of the new series from 2005 to the present day hosted by Planet Mondas Forum.

Who was the better showrunner?

Moffat
50%
Chibnall
12%
Equally bad
8%
Equally bad but in different ways
31%

Total votes: 26
shuzbot

Both a bit dire, but I do prefer Chibnall to the excruciating hell that was the Moffat era. No Cyber-Brigs or crying Davros, that's got be worth something
Bowtiesarecool
Former Team Member
Former Team Member

Moffat. At least I made an effort to watch his series.
The Doctor died with Capaldi. The Chibnall era is non-canon.

There are no Doctors before William Hartnell.

Without respect, we reject.

#NotmyDoctor
LizR
Irony Maiden
Irony Maiden

Shouldn't this wait until we see how Chibs does "going forward" ? At this point in Moff's tenure* he was still looking vaguely OK.

*OK it was only seven years, but it seemed like at least a decade.
LizR
Irony Maiden
Irony Maiden

Although I have to say that at the same point Moff had shown far better taste in his choice of actor for the Doctor. (Chibs' Master is looking rather more inspired, though...)
shuzbot

LizR wrote:Shouldn't this wait until we see how Chibs does "going forward" ? At this point in Moff's tenure* he was still looking vaguely OK.

I don't expect it to change, but you can change your votes or post updated opinions, besides you were suggesting sacking him in the other thread and we have a 60th-anniversary thread 3 years early, let's throw caution to the wind :)
Cygnus Prime
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

I voted for equally bad but in different ways.

Perhaps it's something to do with showrunners being a fan. For some reason (ego?) they seem to lose perspective and start warping the thing they supposedly love into shapes that damage it? And are then too proud to ever publicly declare that they messed up or made any kind of mistake in their tenure ever. :death:

At least the Classic Who mob could laugh at themselves.

ERIC SAWARD: (On Resurrection's script.) Matthew Robinson did a fine job. Considering the crap he had to work with! :lol:

JNT: (on Colin's coat.) So I got it wrong, I got it wrong! It didn't work.

I would love to see that - just once - from RTD, Moff and Chibs. But I don't think we ever will - not once, ever - even retrospectively, years after the fact.

MOFF: Okay, hands up, confession time. I ****ed up with the fat Daleks. Meant well, just didn't work out.

CHIBBS: That "Snap!" joke was ****ing awful, wasn't it!

Just once. :(
shuzbot

TBH, I barely recognised the snap joke as a joke. Mind you, I barely recall the line at all, surprised so many people seem to think it was so memorable.
Cygnus Prime
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

shuzbot wrote:TBH, I barely recognised the snap joke as a joke. Mind you, I barely recall the line at all, surprised so many people seem to think it was so memorable.
Jodie's painfully clumsy delivery (imo) didn't help matters and perhaps made it a little bit more memorable for some than it deserved. But that's a whole other issue! :lol:

See also:

Jodie Miscast?:

viewtopic.php?f=98&t=6542

LizR
Irony Maiden
Irony Maiden

shuzbot wrote:
LizR wrote:Shouldn't this wait until we see how Chibs does "going forward" ? At this point in Moff's tenure* he was still looking vaguely OK.

I don't expect it to change, but you can change your votes or post updated opinions, besides you were suggesting sacking him in the other thread and we have a 60th-anniversary thread 3 years early, let's throw caution to the wind :)
Fair enough. At the moment I've voted "equally bad but in different ways". However, I did think Moff got off to a better start and at the equivalent point in his tenure (That would be "The Impossible Astronaut/Day of the Moon") he'd had a first series with some decent highlights (Eleventh hour/Amy's choice/Time of angels/arguably Vincent) as well as some clunkers (Victory of the Daleks/Hungry Earth/Pandorica - all IMHO of course). While Chibs has so far been clunker city (apart from "It takes you away" and, er, hm...) However part one of "Spyfall" - we haven't seen the second half yet - seemed to be an improvement, even if the wheels came off around the time they started the Bond pastiche (IMHO). So I was just wondering if he might have upped his game after the comments from various quarters (e.g. almost everyone who isn't a sycophant or so open-minded that their brain has fallen out, and thinks that because it might be good to try a female Doctor, this one just has to be "brilliant") and audience ratings for the last series. Also, it's just possible Jodie's also taken on board some comments and upped her game a bit. She seemed a bit less frenetic and "dizzy as eccentric" but that may be just wishful thinking or even (ugh) getting used to her take on the Doctor.

So I was probably just expressing pious hopes above. Actually I think I just got my hopes up when I saw the thread title, with both showrunners mentioned in the past tense, and then had a rude awakening when I realised there wasn't some news I'd missed...
johnnybear

I've only had the chance to watch Moffhack's version as I refuse to watch the 'show' anymore! But Moffat to me was awful and the main reason the show lost my favour as Matt Smith had great potential in the role but was left to give his best on substandard scripts by a writer who hated the series! As for Chinballs well, he had the audacity to criticise JNTs Trial of a Time Lord back in 86 with his goofy glasses and face and yet he has totally destroyed the reputation of an iconic show and the enjoyment of thousands of people who grew up loving the thing!!!
JB
johnshoo

Moffat came up with better premises, but he couldn't stick a landing to save his life.

I like the toned down feel of the Chibnall era a bit more, but the problem is that whenever he tries to do grandiose stories similar to Moffat or RTD, it lands with a dull thud. (See: both of his series finales)
The Wooksta!

It's a bit like a choice between a kick in the clems or a punch in the face. Or asking who was the better humanitarian - Hitler or Stalin, Fred West or Harold Shipman.

I voted Moffat, largely as I flatly refused to watch Who past Capaldi and when the Moff puts his mind to it, he can write outstanding scripts - Heavensent, The World Enough and Time, for example. Chilblains' episodes previously were so dull that watching paint dry is a more exciting alternative (and as someone who actually has watched paint dry, I can attest to that).

And whilst Moffat did play a bit fast and loose with the legacy/series continuity, at least he hasn't hit it with a sock full of wet sand across the back of the net, dismembered the still warm corpse and set fire to it in the way Chilblains has done.
"It's basically a cure... for not being an axe-wielding homicidal maniac... the potential market's enormous!"

"Please dial *617 at this time"

"We're the Sweeney, son, and we haven't had any dinner!"

"Don't be told what you want. Don't be told what you need." - John Lydon
Zarius
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Chibnall. His s*itshow knows what it wants to be. Moffat's visions never stuck around long enough to actually stick.
paulhickling
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Bad as both RTD and Moff were at times Chibnall hasn't got half their talent. Occasionally they were even gifted. I struggle to think of Chibnall being a writer. Looking at that Cyberman in fancy dress on the cover of the latest DWM I just remember him and his mates on live telly calling JNT and the Bakers for turning Who into a panto, whilst he does exactly that.
LizR
Irony Maiden
Irony Maiden

I have to agree, I don't think much of Moffat or RTD's writing but at least they can write decent characters (in RTD's case) and decent SF ideas (in Moffat's). Had they collaborated they could make a decent writer between them. Mr Chibs would be more like the negative money option on The Chase, dragging the team's total down.
The Wooksta!

The ironic thing is, when Chibnal writes for adults his work can be superb - episode 7 of Life on Mars (suspect dies in custody due to police brutality which is then covered up) was outstanding and possibly the strongest episode of the series - yet his work for Who has been dull juvenile sh*te! And thos are the ones I've seen, his work recently according to others is even worse.
"It's basically a cure... for not being an axe-wielding homicidal maniac... the potential market's enormous!"

"Please dial *617 at this time"

"We're the Sweeney, son, and we haven't had any dinner!"

"Don't be told what you want. Don't be told what you need." - John Lydon
Servorobot
Head of Security
Head of Security

Can I call it a nil all draw? :D

Return to “NEW SERIES DISCUSSION”

• Information