What Would it Take for You Switch On to Doctor Who?

For discussion of the new series from 2005 to the present day hosted by Planet Mondas Forum.
shuzbot

What would it take for you to start watching the new series again?

Is Chibnall's leaving enough or is it a wider problem throughout the BBC? Does Jodie have to go as well or is Chibnall's resignation enough? Or, looking back at everything since 2005, is it just not possible to make good Doctor Who in the modern world?
Bowtiesarecool
Former Team Member
Former Team Member

Chibnall and her out. No Piers Wenger and Charlotte Moore shoving identity politics down our throats and a BBC that can be trusted again.

Unfortunately, it's a long way off so I am content with Doctor Who from 1963- 2017.
The Doctor died with Capaldi. The Chibnall era is non-canon.

There are no Doctors before William Hartnell.

Without respect, we reject.

#NotmyDoctor
iank

One million dollars.
(Doctor Who) has been hijacked and redefined as a lucrative modern franchise. They've literally taken a square peg and painfully made it fit a round hole by taking enormous liberties with much of its fundamental essence. There's no turning back now.

- ozymandias, The Leisure Hive 2010
LizR
Irony Maiden
Irony Maiden

I hope those of us who are gritting our teeth and still watching can contribute, taking the question as more metaphorical - what would it take for you to start treating it as must-watch, rather than from a sense of duty or in the way people might gawp at a car crash...

Not just Chibs going, but being replaced by someone who can write decent stories, by which I mean ones in which the viewer can become emotionally invested, with situations that are gripping. This does not have to mean something specific like cancelling the Timeless Child nonsense. A good writer can make anything work. If they put Hans Rosenfeldt in charge (assuming it was his thing, which I doubt) we'd get lots of weird stuff going on - even "The Bridge" was full of weird stuff, supposedly set in modern-day Scandinavia. We'd probably have a heroine, going by his form to date, so that aspect might not change, but she'd undoubtedly be very far from omniscient and certainly not able to sonic her way out of any mess. (Plus probably we'd be back to the "everybody dies!" type of Who beloved of the early writers, which would be no bad thing.)

The other issue is originality. Good writing generally has original elements, or reshapes existing ones - "Good artists copy, great artists steal" as Picasso is supposed to have said. So far we have had far too much copying, and since I'm quoting we can also say that "your writing is both good and original, but unfortunately..." etc.
shuzbot

LizR wrote:Not just Chibs going, but being replaced by someone who can write decent stories, by which I mean ones in which the viewer can become emotionally invested, with situations that are gripping.
On that point, do you feel a return to a serial format would work? They tend to try and squeeze a lot into 45mins.

What I have never understood, is why Nu Who writers insist on trying to have three evenly weighted acts. It means you have an unnecessarily long denouement. Love and Monsters, for example, kill the monster and then have maudlin flashbacks and patio slab blowjob jokes. :?
StarQuake
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Good writing, and an attitude adjustment to the show where it is not just about writers trying to show how clever they are.

But I was never really into NuWho anyway. Some great episodes, but they were islands in a sea of crap as far as I was concerned.
"Brace yourself for disappointment." - ericthehalfabee
LizR
Irony Maiden
Irony Maiden

Yes, a serial format would also help enormously, allowing more time to develop characters and backgrounds and situations.
Sid Rat

What would it take for me to start watching the new series again?

A TARDIS to take me back to 22 November 1963.
Servorobot
Head of Security
Head of Security

Bowtiesarecool wrote:Chibnall and her out. No Piers Wenger and Charlotte Moore shoving identity politics down our throats and a BBC that can be trusted again.

Unfortunately, it's a long way off so I am content with Doctor Who from 1963- 2017.
Then why don’t you participate in the rewatches?

It would be great to hear your opinion on the classic stuff.
Bowtiesarecool
Former Team Member
Former Team Member

Servorobot wrote:
Bowtiesarecool wrote:Chibnall and her out. No Piers Wenger and Charlotte Moore shoving identity politics down our throats and a BBC that can be trusted again.

Then why don’t you participate in the rewatches?

It would be great to hear your opinion on the classic stuff.
I've been meaning to, but I've been quite busy with other stuff lately and it's been on the back of my mind and I've never got round to it.

I'll try and watch an episode or two. I've just had so much going on.
The Doctor died with Capaldi. The Chibnall era is non-canon.

There are no Doctors before William Hartnell.

Without respect, we reject.

#NotmyDoctor
johnnybear

Amen to that and I like your lower motto no end!
JB
johnnybear

Sid Rat wrote:What would it take for me to start watching the new series again?

A TARDIS to take me back to 22 November 1963.
Don't forget to take a recordable DVD player with you and then we'll have ALL the missing episodes and no one will ever worry what happened to Mrs.Who or her rubbish ever again! :lol:
JB
LizR
Irony Maiden
Irony Maiden

I find myself fantasising about this. It's certainly my normal answer whenever someone asks what would you do if you had a time machine. But what would be needed in practice? You can't plug a video or DVD recorder into a 60s era TV set, and I don't even know if you could pick up 60s style TV if you took a modern set plus aerial back with you. Also, would the power plugs be compatible???

I need to know, just in case! (Or should this topic have its own thread?)
Sid Rat

Ah, but if you had a TARDIS then you could materialise in the archive in the small hours and take the original video tapes right off the shelf, pop forward a few decades and get them transferred, and then pop back again to the moment just after you left to replace the tapes with no-one being any the wiser. ;)

Assuming your TARDIS worked properly of course...
Heccypoo

Sad to say, there is nothing that could make me watch NuWho ever again... :x
Now that we all know about the rude bits, aren't they rude? And as we get older, they get ruder and ruder. :oops:
LizR
Irony Maiden
Irony Maiden

Sid Rat wrote:
Fri Jul 17, 2020 12:41 am
Ah, but if you had a TARDIS then you could materialise in the archive in the small hours and take the original video tapes right off the shelf, pop forward a few decades and get them transferred, and then pop back again to the moment just after you left to replace the tapes with no-one being any the wiser. ;)
And I'd like a pony for Christmas, please.
whois007

Complete reworking of the show. Complete reboot. An episode where the Doctor, in whatever form they're on at this point, says...

"This has gone too far. When I throw this switch, time will begin without anyone knowing the name....Doctor. I miss being a traveler. I miss being unknown. I miss...I miss being me."

And we start again with no 'oncoming storm', no villains who bugger off at the mere sound of the TARDIS.
Caligari71

I'd love to start watching again, but the entire ethos of the production side needs to change, from the top of BBC Drama, down to the specific team associated with Who. Being ladle-fed with a never-ending stream of identity politics driven rubbish, in which I'm supposed to wring my hands with guilt forever more, and apologize for things that no-one currently alive was witness to is not only nonsense, but just plain wrong. 'History is a whitewash' anyone? Actually, I think you'll find that historical revisionism is far more dangerous!

Chibnall must go, Whitaker must go. The timeless child is bunk and there should be no reference to pre-Hartnell Doctor's ever again (he was the original). There should never be another female Doctor; HE is a male. Write stories that are exciting, witty, contain peril and true menace. Stop writing one-off episodes of forty five minutes in length, unless you can do it well; the standard length of a series should be two episode length stories x 5, with a three parter to finish. Above all, hire someone to produce the show properly, with a genuine love of the programme and not some idiot, who wants to use it as a vehicle for their own ego. Then, and only then, will I think about watching.

Rant over!

:behindsofa:
iank

We need a like button just so I can like Caligari71's post. :)
(Doctor Who) has been hijacked and redefined as a lucrative modern franchise. They've literally taken a square peg and painfully made it fit a round hole by taking enormous liberties with much of its fundamental essence. There's no turning back now.

- ozymandias, The Leisure Hive 2010
LizR
Irony Maiden
Irony Maiden

Beat me to it. (Wot, no round of applause smilie?)

Return to “NEW SERIES DISCUSSION”

• Information