4%
5%
6%
22%

Total votes: 188
The Ginger Cat
Site Manager
Site Manager

Rate Ep.1 “The Woman Who Fell to Earth”.
Martin_Kinsella
Senior Moderator
Senior Moderator

In spite of what I said I watched it. It was not great. Not a disaster but not great. Very generic.

It took a long long time to get started and was really slow. Not convinced by Whittaker but impressed with Cole and Gill. Bradley Walsh seemed to phone it in.
J'aime Le Chameau Orteil.
mr borusa

The Ginger Cat wrote:Rate Ep.1 “The Woman Who Fell to Earth”.
Not bad. Better than Moffat crap. Few niggly things like that bike rubbish.
Binro was right.
mr borusa

Martin_Kinsella wrote:In spite of what I said I watched it. It was not great. Not a disaster but not great. Very generic.

It took a long long time to get started and was really slow. Not convinced by Whittaker but impressed with Cole and Gill. Bradley Walsh seemed to phone it in.
A lot better than moffat crap.
Binro was right.
Guff

Whitaker seems to be an amalgamation of all the Nu Who Doctors.
Not confident of her getting her own character as the series goes on.
Martin_Kinsella
Senior Moderator
Senior Moderator

Guff wrote:Whitaker seems to be an amalgamation of all the Nu Who Doctors.
Not confident of her getting her own character as the series goes on.
Yeah, that's a fair point. She was far too Matt Smith for my taste,
J'aime Le Chameau Orteil.
chap with wings

A huge thumbs up from me - felt like RTD era, and the rug pull ending with Grace had me in tears.
The show is in very safe hands. Jodie owned it from moment one of her appearance.
"It can become a kind of franchise where it's not a real character at all, but just an amalgam of elements that people think are Doctor Who: a scarf, a bow tie... I wanted to be the actual Doctor Who." - Peter Capaldi

Follow me on Twitter at: https://twitter.com/BlogFinish

My Big Finish Review Archive is here - http://blogfinishplanetmondas.blogspot.co.uk/
The Krynoid Man

I thought it was good. The story was a bit generic, but it was fun and I liked Jodie and Bradley Walsh. Looks like it will be an improvement on the previous (very mediocre) series.
One morning I shot an elephant in my pajamas. How he got in my pajamas, I don't know.
'teleportNOW!'

Well, I enjoyed Segun Akinola's incidental music considerably more than the mawkish cod-Hollywood-orchestral bollocks of Murray Gold - in fact I think that was the best incidental music Doctor Who has had in decades - it was atmospheric, plenty of good sound design, and (like good incidental music should do) it enhanced the atmosphere of the scenes considerably without drawing attention to itself.

Wasn't entirely convinced by his arrangement of the theme tune - it was basically Delia Derbyshire's but with 'cinematic drums' instead of the astounding bass line... but nothing will ever be as good as Delia's version.

I'm not sure I was *entirely* convinced by Jodie Whittaker's performance - there was rather a lot of 'goofy northern lass' like some kind of Jane Horrocks thing - her delivery of some of the lines made me cringe a bit - but then the lines themselves made me cringe a bit (and whose fault is that, Chinball, eh?)
And I thought her costume when she stepped out of the charity shop changing room looked like something from Playaway. But you can never really tell what a Doctor will be like in their post-regeneration episode so I'll not jump to any conclusions yet.

The visuals were pretty decent and the companions passable. And three humans dead already :twisted:
lepter

Well.....I gave it a 5.
Deep breath. Was it the disaster I thought it would be? No. Still don't like Jodie as the doctor. She was a little annoying but was that because I am against a woman doctor or I don't like her performance? Not sure yet.

Saying that.....That was better than I thought, much much better than anything in season 10. Okay story which was a total rip off of the predator franchise. Alien hunting for a trophy. Some problems...The fact the doctor fell out of the sky through the roof of a train with zero injuries. The fourth doctor fell from jodrell bank and died....she is apparently invincible. My son said she had damage turned off.
The not wore women's clothing for a while line was either a joke or it grates with 13 previous doctors incarnations. I can't imagine tom baker crossdressing.

The good stuff. The production values were very good and it looks like they are trying to create some character development. There were no diversity stuff shoehorned in (plenty of time for that though).

I will watch episode 2. I gave it a chance. Eating humble pie. It's worth another episode. Still expecting more shoehorned diversity though.
DSJR

"
Here's a house
Here's a door
Windows - One - two - Three - Four

Ready to knock?
Turn the lock
It's........... "

....Not Playschool as such (bless you Brian Cant - RIP), but aimed at upper primary school to lower high school (I dunno, nine to thirteen?).

OK, I'm half a century on from the target age group, so forgive me for kind of comparing this to 'Timeslip' (remember that?). It's years since I watched Timeslip (I still have the VHS tapes) but something in my mind linked the two - I really am losing it...

A top class CBBC show with great visuals and background music more in keeping imo and rather better (more cohesive?) than the average last era story. Far, FAR better than 1/10, but how the hell can I rate it when it's not 'really' Doctor Who and although Jodie tried her best, she ain't the Doctor for me and not sure if she ever will be -

Sorry all...
robbo13

Well that was hard work, watched an episode of Star Trek TOS to pass the time instead. First time since McCoy I've been in the house and not watched it. 1 out of 10 for Chibnall making me feel that way about my favourite programme.
PatTroughtonFan

I thought there was a very bad villian but I appreciate an introductory episode won’t ever have a great villian. However, the script was terrible. She explained the blatantly obvious so there was no mystery or intrigue to the plot.
I thought it was way too zany, she was acting silly all of the time which is a big problem for me. The speech at the end could have been good but it had so many jokes. Even the silliest if doctors in the classic series all had serious elements but Jodie can’t go one line without telling a joke. I heard that she had never watched an episode before which really shows.

For me, I can see now that doctor who has lost a lot of what made it great. The classic series and a good chunk of nuwho explored the human condition, major issues or moral issues. Unfortunately this seems not to be the case anymore and it now looks like a wacky Saturday morning cartoon with big action set pieces. I hope this is not the case for the whole series.

I am also a bit curious as to the amount of ‘diversity’ in the new series. I hope this is because these are the best actors for the roles and not anything forced in beucase of political views held by the BBC and/or Chris Chibnal. There has been a worrying amount of non white hiring in the BBC recently e.g https://www.express.co.uk/news/uk/88543 ... cants-only

I will watch all of the series and remain a loyal fan because I believe with the right writers the show can be great but I remain pessimistic. I hope the show improves.
PTF
There are some corners of the universe which have bred the most terrible things. Things which act against everything we believe in. They must be fought. -The Doctor
thecypher

It was terrible.
I didn't watch it, but it was still terrible :D
"That’s monstrous! Vaporisation without representation is against the constitution!"
Darren Lake

Wow, what a series opener! Full of joy and laughter, tears and scares and drama. And it looked great!!! Who would have thought she would’ve taken the lead like that?! Amazing! If this is what is in store for the rest of the series we’re in for a real treat. Not convinced Sir Alan should have fired the one he did though but I guess one of them had to go. Oh well.

As for that silly programme pretending to be Doctor Who, it was better than the sh*te we’ve had for the last 7 years but that isn’t saying much. As you were...
ericthehalfabee

Darren Lake wrote:Wow, what a series opener! Full of joy and laughter, tears and scares and drama. And it looked great!!! Who would have thought she would’ve taken the lead like that?! Amazing! If this is what is in store for the rest of the series we’re in for a real treat. Not convinced Sir Alan should have fired the one he did though but I guess one of them had to go. Oh well.

As for that silly programme pretending to be Doctor Who, it was better than the sh*te we’ve had for the last 7 years but that isn’t saying much. As you were...
:lol: :lol: :lol:

Brilliant.
Darren Lake

ericthehalfabee wrote:
Darren Lake wrote:Wow, what a series opener! Full of joy and laughter, tears and scares and drama. And it looked great!!! Who would have thought she would’ve taken the lead like that?! Amazing! If this is what is in store for the rest of the series we’re in for a real treat. Not convinced Sir Alan should have fired the one he did though but I guess one of them had to go. Oh well.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Brilliant.
Thank you. I’m here all week...
'teleportNOW!'

PatTroughtonFan wrote: I am also a bit curious as to the amount of ‘diversity’ in the new series. I hope this is because these are the best actors for the roles and not anything forced in beucase of political views held by the BBC and/or Chris Chibnal.
To be fair though, you're probably also a bit 'curious' about the ethnic diversity in modern day Britain too, and hope we've got the best citizens for the country and that they're not living here just because of political views held by bongo bongo land or something, am I right...? :roll:
mr borusa

lepter wrote:Well.....I gave it a 5.
Deep breath. Was it the disaster I thought it would be? No. Still don't like Jodie as the doctor. She was a little annoying but was that because I am against a woman doctor or I don't like her performance? Not sure yet.

Saying that.....That was better than I thought, much much better than anything in season 10. Okay story which was a total rip off of the predator franchise. Alien hunting for a trophy. Some problems...The fact the doctor fell out of the sky through the roof of a train with zero injuries. The fourth doctor fell from jodrell bank and died....she is apparently invincible. My son said she had damage turned off.
The not wore women's clothing for a while line was either a joke or it grates with 13 previous doctors incarnations. I can't imagine tom baker crossdressing.

The good stuff. The production values were very good and it looks like they are trying to create some character development. There were no diversity stuff shoehorned in (plenty of time for that though).

I will watch episode 2. I gave it a chance. Eating humble pie. It's worth another episode. Still expecting more shoehorned diversity though.
Next weeks looks like they are ripping of Blakes 7, the episode Stardrive springs to mind. Best thing about tonights episode is that its easy to follow plot wise unlike some of the moffat rubbish.

I hated that clothes jokes as well, it implies the Doctor had female regenerations before hartnell, had enough of that sh*t with Moffat.
Binro was right.
'teleportNOW!'

mr borusa wrote: I hated that clothes jokes as well, it implies the Doctor had female regenerations before hartnell, had enough of that sh*t with Moffat.
Just because Morbius didn't push him back that far... :roll:

Return to “SERIES 11”

• Information