11%
8%
4%
5%
6%
22%

Total votes: 188
wjcsmith

Thanks to the new BBC I-player VPN repellent I can’t follow this series in Hong Kong as I have done previous instalments. A shame as from the comments it seems like this series could see a return to the traditional virtues of story telling and well drawn characters that I associate with classic who - not the nonsensical complexity and melodrama that sadly mars the reboot.

It would be ironic and heartening if nontraditional casting heralds a return to ‘traditional’ virtues for the show.
"It is just this lack of connection to a concern with truth—this indifference to how things really are—that I regard as the essence of bullsh*t." Harry Frankfurt
Rob Ocelot

lepter wrote:The not wore women's clothing for a while line was either a joke or it grates with 13 previous doctors incarnations. I can't imagine tom baker crossdressing.
Half joke, half truth -- and given Chibnal's a continuity geek like the Moff he's probably referencing Pertwee disguising himself as the cleaning lady in THE GREEN DEATH.
Hewy

Rob Ocelot wrote:
lepter wrote:The not wore women's clothing for a while line was either a joke or it grates with 13 previous doctors incarnations. I can't imagine tom baker crossdressing.
Half joke, half truth -- and given Chibnal's a continuity geek like the Moff he's probably referencing Pertwee disguising himself as the cleaning lady in THE GREEN DEATH.
Or Patrick Troughton in The Highlanders - or both.
"... But you can't rewrite history, not one line ..." Driven by Hewylogic© inside

"...we had the satisfaction of finding the finest harbour in the world, in which a thousand sail of the line may ride in the most perfect security..."
— Governor Arthur Phillip, 15 May 1788 Sydney Cove - Port Jackson
lepter

Hewy wrote:
Rob Ocelot wrote:
Or Patrick Troughton in The Highlanders - or both.
Maybe...but that's the thing the show has become. Every reference questioned with suspicion.
Rob Ocelot

7 for me.

It wasn't terrible but it wasn't fantastic either. It's an introductory story so I'm cutting it a little bit of slack. This episode had to accomplish a number of things including getting viewers over the gender hump so I think that writing the perfect opening episode was a nearly impossible task. I'm not particularly a fan of Chibnal's writing -- he's written what I consider to be arguably the worst dreck ever to have the names "Doctor Who" and "Torchwood" hung on it (and that's pretty damn bad for TW!) but this wasn't as stunningly awful as his NuWho Silurian episodes.

Where I feel his stories are a letdown are in the logistics and timing of events -- things tend to happen for reasons only to push the story along but then are coveniently ignored when they no longer serve their purpose, eg. Ryan's inability to ride a bike only affects him when he's riding a bike and the Doctor also is able to whip up a sonic screwdriver in less time than it takes to melt the metal (as evidenced by the "Hey, we found something on the computer" line) but we still get a pointless scene of her melting the metal with a torch and soldering the electronics. Daft stuff like that makes me stop and think "Wait... what?" and I'm pulled out of the narrative and feel compelled to rewind to double check that was what I actually saw.

Notes, comments, questions:

*For being an extended length episode it really wasted those precious extra minutes on car trips, slow crane climbs, and a someone repeatedly falling off a bike.

*For a guy with supposed coordination/balance issues he seems to walk and climb cranes just fine but the minute he touches a bicycle he starts having convulsions like he's allergic to it. Who knew dyspraxia was so selective?

*One episode in and one of the companions has already pulled an 'Adric', and two others are collateral damage. Sheesh.

*What's with the crappy 'hunter' who apparently can run faster than most humans but as soon as he has to climb a crane and walk the gantry he's suddenly slower than cold molasses?

*Is it just me or did the Doctor look better in Capaldi's costume than Capaldi ever did? I'll reserve judgement on her actual costume until I see more of it.

*A number of Jodi's lines sounded like Chibnal talking to old Doctor Who fans, reassuring them that everything will be ok. It's eerily similar to Moffs lines for Capaldi's opener where he reassures the audience that it's ok if the Doctor isn't young like he used to be (in the new series, at least).

More comments when I think of some...
chap with wings

mr borusa wrote:
lepter wrote:
Jacksen C Frame wrote:Easy to follow, dialogue hmmm in bits, acting was okay, storyline felt similar to Predator, wee bit of Quatermas and the Pit (movie version) thrown in with the cranes, no cuts or bruises after falling through carriage - strange - and although science fiction it really didn't feel like Doctor Who at all.

Will watch next week, you never know . . .
I know...Tom regenerated after falling from jodrell bank. She punched through a train carriage roof with not a scratch.
My take on all of this is that she does not sustain injury cause her regeneration is not yet complete thus regenration energy healed any injuries.
Timelords can fly - established in City of Death :D
"It can become a kind of franchise where it's not a real character at all, but just an amalgam of elements that people think are Doctor Who: a scarf, a bow tie... I wanted to be the actual Doctor Who." - Peter Capaldi

Follow me on Twitter at: https://twitter.com/BlogFinish

My Big Finish Review Archive is here - http://blogfinishplanetmondas.blogspot.co.uk/
Rob Ocelot

chap with wings wrote:
mr borusa wrote:
lepter wrote:
Jacksen C Frame wrote:Easy to follow, dialogue hmmm in bits, acting was okay, storyline felt similar to Predator, wee bit of Quatermas and the Pit (movie version) thrown in with the cranes, no cuts or bruises after falling through carriage - strange - and although science fiction it really didn't feel like Doctor Who at all.

Will watch next week, you never know . . .
I know...Tom regenerated after falling from jodrell bank. She punched through a train carriage roof with not a scratch.
My take on all of this is that she does not sustain injury cause her regeneration is not yet complete thus regenration energy healed any injuries.
Timelords can fly - established in City of Death :D
Pertwee survived a (non-canon?) fall of hundreds of feet in PARADISE OF DEATH by using a bone relaxation' technique.

Would it be safe to say that by changing gender the Doctor performed the ultimate 'bone relaxation'?

(a mysterious cane appears to Rob's left and proceeds yank him off the stage)
'teleportNOW!'

I always find a good boning a good way to relax, I mean why doesn't? :D

I agree with Rob Ocelot that Whittaker was looking really rather good in Capaldi's costume, I experienced some dismay when she changed into her Playaway outfit :/
Miss Cathcart

Wasn't bad. I liked the dark tone, which I didn't expect; I don't get why some people are describing the episode as CBBC-like. The alien was much more prominent than had been trailed (perhaps a feint on the part of Chibnall/the publicity team which might be repeated - i.e. maybe we'll get some old monsters even though they've said we won't?). It reminded me very much of the Ice Warrior we recently had.

The episode felt a bit slow in places and I agree that Jodie seemed to be aping previous Doctors a bit too much but hopefully that was because this was her crossover episode and she'll frame a distinct personality for her Doctor before too long. Couldn't really see the point of the episode being in Sheffield - it could have been anywhere really. I don't know if Sheffield has any landmark attractions (the Crucible Theatre is the only thing I can think of that the city is known for) but if it does I didn't see them in this. The abundance of Sheffield accents was also very annoying; one would have been enough.

I found Bradley Walsh rather understated. Everyone expects him to play comic characters and it seems he's decided to play against type here. The male companion character was the best for me, though I agree about the apparent contradictions in his dyspraxia. The theme music was welcome and I liked the incidental music. So, a reasonable start.

7/10.
The_Whomobile

feline1 wrote:I always find a good boning a good way to relax, I mean why doesn't? :D

I agree with Rob Ocelot that Whittaker was looking really rather good in Capaldi's costume, I experienced some dismay when she changed into her Playaway outfit :/
Thirded! I thought she looked great in Capaldi's costume and it seemed to suit her more and thought the new costume was a downgrade. I also liked the look she had in the reveal trailer and accompanying photos - the long grey coat which looked similar to Tom's Season 17 one.
"Logic, my dear Zoe, merely enables one to be wrong with authority."
iank

Watched about 10 minutes, wasn't too bad until Whittaker turned up. She's awful, and I can't take her seriously for a second. Nah, it's not for me anymore, I'm out.
(Doctor Who) has been hijacked and redefined as a lucrative modern franchise. They've literally taken a square peg and painfully made it fit a round hole by taking enormous liberties with much of its fundamental essence. There's no turning back now.

- ozymandias, The Leisure Hive 2010
DSJR

Interview with a lady from DW magazine telling 'us' that Doctor Who is all about change yet many fans don't seem to like it (genuine surprised look to camera)... Maybe we all have slightly more autistic tendencies than your average bloke or lady, but you can do change too far IMO. Jodie is too squeaky and child-like for me, but she may mellow as she slips deeper into the role.

Regarding CBBC comments that I and maybe others made, it was just the pitch of the script last night. Modern TV does seem to be dumbing down and talking to us as if we're children (most MP's being interviewed are terrible for this), so maybe I'm more sensitive to this than others?

Lasting vibe from the first episode is generally positive, but I do feel a bit still like my wife, who's pronounced she was waiting for the Doctor to appear - and my dear lady is a very vociferous supporter of equality for womankind in all aspects of life...
Servorobot
Head of Security
Head of Security

iank wrote:Watched about 10 minutes, wasn't too bad until Whittaker turned up. She's awful, and I can't take her seriously for a second. Nah, it's not for me anymore, I'm out.
Does that mean you won’t post about the new series anymore! :D
date542

8.2m - 40.1% audience share :shock:
Happygolucky

I'm glad I had the backbone to reverse my decision not to watch, okay I threw a hissy fit when the Doctor was going to be a woman but I've had a good long spell to calm down. It was a cracking bit of tele!!. I think I love Jodie, wtf am I saying?!!!. I loved the incidental music and the theme at the end. I will keep watching for the time being and see if it goes up or down in my estimation. I'm not going to start picking holes in that fall through the train roof but, she was still in regeneration mode and if Tennant can lose a hand and grow it back then, all's fair in love and war. I gave it an 8, high praise from me for a first story.

Regards HGL
'teleportNOW!'

Servorobot wrote:
iank wrote:Watched about 10 minutes, wasn't too bad until Whittaker turned up. She's awful, and I can't take her seriously for a second. Nah, it's not for me anymore, I'm out.
Does that mean you won’t post about the new series anymore!
Can I suggest that as a rule, actually?
If anyone posts on these threads declaring that they're not watching Series 11, then the mods should block them from posting in this sub-forum until it's finished broadcasting.
I just say this because it's so bloody tedious to come here to chat about the new episodes, and 25% of the posts are just from people who say they haven't even watched them.
Happygolucky

feline1 wrote:
Servorobot wrote:
If anyone posts on these threads declaring that they're not watching Series 11, then the mods should block them from posting in this sub-forum until it's finished broadcasting.
I just say this because it's so bloody tedious to come here to chat about the new episodes, and 25% of the posts are just from people who say they haven't even watched them.
That makes a lot of sense, although you could just ignore those posts, I do. :)
Regards HGL
Servorobot
Head of Security
Head of Security

Well I gave it a 7.

Loved the bit on the train, Jodie was pretty good as far as I was concerned, sure there was some clunky dialogue, but she was pretty good overall.

She was a bit crazy and zany so I don’t know what that BBC berk was going on about when he insulted the other Doctors.

I saw it in cinema and it looked really good on the big screen. I loved the incidental music, but not sure about the new theme. Does it have some wailing in it or was that f*ckwit woman sitting two rows behind who laughed uproariously at everything, whether it was funny or not?

Loved the villain’s love of teeth, but overall thought he was a bit uninteresting and that sort of brought it down a bit.

Thought it was good that Ryan still couldn’t ride a bike. They avoided the mawkish American touch there, thankfully.

Surprised to see Chris Noth appearing in this series.

Overall a good start, but Chibbers has to keep it up. It was miles better than most of the recent Moffat stuff so let’s hope Chibbers keeps it up.
Servorobot
Head of Security
Head of Security

Happygolucky wrote:
feline1 wrote:
Servorobot wrote:
That makes a lot of sense, although you could just ignore those posts, I do. :)
Regards HGL
I was sort of joking you know.

I notice 22% have given it a 1. I wonder how many of these people actually watched it.
Happygolucky

Servorobot wrote:Well I gave it a 7.

Overall a good start, but Chibbers has to keep it up. It was miles better than most of the recent Moffat stuff so let’s hope Chibbers keeps it up.
Yup, a million miles better than Moffat, nice that you saw it in the cinema, something different. :D
Regards HGL

Return to “SERIES 11”

• Information