11%
8%
4%
5%
6%
22%

Total votes: 188
thecypher

I feel like Liz is moving ever closer to the centre of the political spectrum.

If so, welcome to the club! :D :lol:
"That’s monstrous! Vaporisation without representation is against the constitution!"
chasersbass

I thought it was pretty much business as usual.....
Tuggster

It was like watching Christopher Eccleston with Lady Parts
The more things change, the more they stay the same.
paulhickling
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Tuggster wrote:It was like watching Christopher Eccleston with Lady Parts
Except he had gravitas, and no element of Jane Horrocks.
'teleportNOW!'

Tuggster wrote:It was like watching Christopher Eccleston with Lady Parts
Come on, she never mentioned her b00bs once!
Rob Ocelot

ericthehalfabee wrote:According to Twitter, it's hideous to assume that little boys shouldn't treat female role models any differently. Look what happened to poor old Peter Davison.

Girls should have female role models though.

Boys should celebrate diversity.

Go figure.
After hundreds of years of double standards for women it's only right that men now have abritrary double standards applied to them, because equality... or something. Everyone gets a reward for showing up and their turn to be horrible to someone else. :P
ericthehalfabee

Rob Ocelot wrote:
ericthehalfabee wrote:According to Twitter, it's hideous to assume that little boys shouldn't treat female role models any differently. Look what happened to poor old Peter Davison.

Go figure.
After hundreds of years of double standards for women it's only right that men now have abritrary double standards applied to them, because equality... or something. Everyone gets a reward for showing up and their turn to be horrible to someone else. :P
:)
Hartnell's Wig

Watched it.

It's not Doctor Who. The actress pretending to be him has no screen presence at all.

Jodie is very likeable in herself (and no I don't mean I want to protect her) and I can't help but like Bradley Walsh. The other two are completely disposable and hopefully very soon, although with the BBC's Yay Diversity agenda it is unlikely.

I hope granny stays dead, but fear some kind of nonsense will see her come back to life. Possibly some sort of deal where Walsh gives his life up so she can live, after his "I shouldn't be here" chatter and unless I missed something, didn't a blob of Time Lord energy go floating off yet again...

I was lured into watching this by positive chat from previously like-minded souls who had had enough.

As a Sunday evening sci-fi drama it was ok.

'Tain't Doctor Who though. I may already have said this. ;)
The key to usable HUMINT (Human Intelligence) is distinguishing the real, highly placed sources from the bullsh*tting wannabes who pretend they’re highly placed sources by making sh*t up
Rob Ocelot

It just occrred to me that the sacrifical Nan character was a bit of a paradigm shift.

Normally these Doctor and series opener episodes at least have the regular fanbase behind them but this episode needed to convince both new and old fans that it was still the same show. So elderly white male Graham who traditatonally would have narratively represented the erm... old white pasty Doctor Who fans, doesn't. He would have taken on some of the recovering Doctor's role in the story and said the lines designed appease and assure that part of the viewiership not to worry, that this was Doctor Who. Instead he kind of becomes part of the background furniture.

The Nan however stepped up into that role perfectly. She's likable, curious, brave, boisterous, has little regret, speaks not only her mind but nuggets of wisdom to every character, willing to help people she doesn't know, charges into a fight without concern for her safety and dies heroically battling an enemy she didn't have to. Pretty much every quality we like about previous Doctors is distilled into her and ironically she's the one designed to help the old fans. Tragically falling from a height and dying surrounded by his friends -- excatly the way Tom Baker left the show.

It's actually kind of brilliant on Chibnal's part because it indirectly shows that superficialities like a female lead are irrelevant if the character acts and behaves like the Doctor should. Hopefully Jodi is just as good at being the Doctor as the Nan.
pmname

Watched again on headphones as the music is fantastic after a decade+ of comedy woodwind. I like the theme too.
The build up prior to the monster appearing is nice and suspenseful, but faceache/toothache is very kiddie, straight outta SJA. The tone gets bleak and oppressive ala Torchwood, but I kind of like that.
Jodie may grow on me: she's extreme now but she'll hopefully settle.
Can't give more than my previous 3 though. Workmanlike script and story.
paulhickling
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

My, we have been busy haven't we? Just as well I turned up!

Ok. Watched it at 10pm. After family evening meal, a tradition set in stone, the wife wanted to watch The Cry. Think I recognised someone in that.

It was neither amazing nor crap. It was in fact, middling. Quite middling. Yes it was (for me) an amalgam of SJA and Class. The whole thing that felt that way, probably due to the cast. I mean SJA had a nice diverse cast too, with mums and dads. That and Class had a gang of characters. And crap monsters. Oh yes. Soz, but toothy man looked like he had the potential to be hideous given what was going on but also hilarious at the same time, like summat out of a Tex Avery cartoon. Goofier than Goofy (yes I know he's from Walt Disney).

The whole thing was quite generic for me. The early part was creepy in the train reminding me a bit of Midnight, then the crane stuff reminded me of (the film of) Quatermass and the Pit. I thought it was interesting that the kid kept falling off his bike, but had little problem scaling cranes. Predator also seemed to be in the inspiration. Gosh a lot of derivatives.. Typical Chibbers.

Some of the dialogue was atrocious. The crane driver wound me up with his constant "I'm this, I'm not that". And a police woman on probation sent to a hazardous situation?

I didn't mind the pacing at all. Better than some of the high speed stuff we've suffered in new Who. Although I have to say killing Grace off so soon robbed the pathos intended and therefore undermined Bradley's emotive performance. We didn't know her well enough. RTD would have had her at least halfway through the season where it would have been a shock, and more genuine, earned, pathos.

The elephant in the room? Oh yes, Romana..er I mean The Doctor. Well, she was "fine". Not great. She channelled far too much of all the new Who Doctors to date plus Jane Horrocks. She looked ten times better in Capaldi's old clothes than at the end. It's not on Ceebeebies so why is she dressed for Playaway? And they didn't even try to address her crashing all the way from space through the train TOTALLY unscathed. Just a little aknowlegement here about some bollocks like regen energy was appropriate given the title underlined that she was the woman who FELL TO EARTH!

So. Nowhere near the classics of Power of the Daleks or Spearhead from Space, or as satisfying as Robot. Not as much fun as the tv movie. Not as much class as The Christmas Invasion or The Eleventh Hour. Less spectacular or silly than Deep Breath. But thankfully nowhere near as bad as Time and the Rani or as cringe inducing as The Twin Dilemma. Probably on a par with Castrovalva, but less inventive. It was however more real than a lot of Moff's fairy tale fantasy.

Nice change in approach to the incidental music, but the theme sounded awful. Mind, I said that about Murray Gold's second one (Series 5) but it really grew on me. And it was no worse than his last two, especially his tribute to Keff McCulloch which 'graced' the Capaldi series.
lepter

I thought the bit were the girl was a police officer, (with the gushing how well she had done for herself ), but when Ryan mentioned he was working in a warehouse, this was followed by aukward glances was out of order. Look down on warehouse workers bbc. Great job. Wasn't the police girl on a night shift, then suddenly changed clothes. Strange shift.

I guess the proof is in the pudding. It is what it is now. It was expected the opening regeneration episodes ratings would be high. Let's see if it can sustain them over the next 9 weeks.
lepter

ericthehalfabee wrote:
lepter wrote:After sleeping on it and thinking again on it, I have to say that something makes me wonder. For the little boys playing dr who in the playground....who would they be? The doctor? No. Graham? Ryan? Neither were particularly heroic. One had a strop and threw his bike of a mountain and the other let his wife face off with an alien. Come to think of it there was not one strong male character in the whole episode. Crane guy wasnt brave at all and mulder was a non character. Doesn't bode well for the future.
According to Twitter, it's hideous to assume that little boys shouldn't treat female role models any differently. Look what happened to poor old Peter Davison.

Go figure.
Twitter is an ecosystem in itself. I would very much doubt lads are going to be running around acting like Jodie. I could be wrong.
Girls can have role models....but I felt there were non for boys so far in this season. 9 episodes to go...We will see.
Black Orchid

Not bad but not very good either.

It was better than Deep Breath.

Thought Jodie Whittaker was the best thing about it.

7/10
Zarius
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

:lol:
Martin_Kinsella
Senior Moderator
Senior Moderator

tony ingram wrote:
Martin_Kinsella wrote:
tony ingram wrote:
chap with wings wrote:A huge thumbs up from me - felt like RTD era.
A huge thumbs down from me, for the same reason. After eight years of quality SF, we're back to the bad old days. This was basically just Corrie with aliens, and Whittaker is appalling.

What would improve it for you ?
Male Doctor. An older Doctor (in fact, even if it had to be a female Doctor, an older one with more range would be an improvement). Less focus on the family dramas and more on the sci-fi. On the plus side, the theme tune has improved.

The theme tune was excellent. I thought the musical score was a big improvement full stop.
J'aime Le Chameau Orteil.
sawdust

How others see things.

Every Doctor deserves a chance!
Martin_Kinsella
Senior Moderator
Senior Moderator

sawdust wrote:How others see things.

Priorities, priorities.
J'aime Le Chameau Orteil.
LizR
Irony Maiden
Irony Maiden

Black Orchid wrote:It was better than Deep Breath.
Wow, that is damning with faint praise.

Would you go as far as "better than Partners in Crime or The Beast below?"
helwud

paulhickling wrote:...Just a little aknowlegement here about some bollocks like regen energy was appropriate given the title underlined that she was the woman who FELL TO EARTH!
Also a reference to Grace, I think.

Return to “SERIES 11”

• Information