11%
8%
4%
5%
6%
22%

Total votes: 188
Rob Ocelot

To be honest, I think it was on par with ROSE as both an introduction and a re-introduction to the series. I think it's significant that it had neither the opening theme nor the TARDIS and it still came off as well as it did.

The only really odd misstep was the 'Look at all of the diverse diversity we have lined up for for you in all of it's diverse diversiveness" montage at the end. That just seemed to reinforce to me the kind of 'checklist television' I was hoping that Doctor Who wouldn't succomb to. Just let the show be Doctor Who and let the social agendas play out elsewhere. Would it have killed them to show a monster or two or the Doctor and companions in action?
lepter

Rob Ocelot wrote:To be honest, I think it was on par with ROSE as both an introduction and a re-introduction to the series. I think it's significant that it had neither the opening theme nor the TARDIS and it still came off as well as it did.

The only really odd misstep was the 'Look at all of the diverse diversity we have lined up for for you in all of it's diverse diversiveness" montage at the end. That just seemed to reinforce to me the kind of 'checklist television' I was hoping that Doctor Who wouldn't succomb to. Just let the show be Doctor Who and let the social agendas play out elsewhere. Would it have killed them to show a monster or two or the Doctor and companions in action?
That montage was cheese personified.
anderscja

Martin_Kinsella wrote:
tony ingram wrote:
Martin_Kinsella wrote:
tony ingram wrote:
chap with wings wrote:A huge thumbs up from me - felt like RTD efrra.
A huge thumbs down from me, for the same reason. After eight years of quality SF, we're back to the bad old days. This was basically just Corrie with aliens, and Whittaker is appalling.

What would improve it for you ?
Male Doctor. An older Doctor (in fact, even if it had to be a female Doctor, an older one with more range would be an improvement). Less focus on the family dramas and more on the sci-fi. On the plus side, the theme tune has improved.

The theme tune was excellent. I thought the musical score was a big improvement full stop.
Agree with the musical score being a big improvement. I was gettting bored with the same sounding stuff from Murray Gold it needed a new score to give it a different kind atomosphere in my opinion. Certainly much more of a science fiction score now.

Don't agree about the theme tune. The annoying thin drums that have been used seem out of place. Can't help but think if they had went with a more deeper synth sound it would be a whole lot better.
LizR
Irony Maiden
Irony Maiden

thecypher wrote:I feel like Liz is moving ever closer to the centre of the political spectrum.

If so, welcome to the club! :D :lol:
Hmm, not that I've noticed, but I'm happy that you're happy. :)
LizR
Irony Maiden
Irony Maiden

helwud wrote:Also a reference to Grace, I think.
Good point.

Although I very much doubt Chibnall has Moff's aversion to killing people off, I'm wondering if they'll find a way to bring her back before the end of the series. Just a thought, but Bradley's character may want to do what Rose tried to in "Father's Day".
richardsmith

I hope you don't mind me posting here. It's just to let you know that Episode 1 of 13cast is now available for you to listen to. If I've rather rudely interrupted a nice conversation you were having, just ignore me and keep going.
Something Who is a podcast with many episodes:
https://somethingwho.podbean.com/

Most recently:
Episode 17, where I chat with Chris Chapman
Episode 18, where I chat with Toby Hadoke
Episode 19, where we discuss The Faceless Ones and The Idiot's Lantern
Episode 20, Missing Episodes with Steven Schapansky
Servorobot
Head of Security
Head of Security

lepter wrote:I thought the bit were the girl was a police officer, (with the gushing how well she had done for herself ), but when Ryan mentioned he was working in a warehouse, this was followed by aukward glances was out of order. Look down on warehouse workers bbc. Great job. Wasn't the police girl on a night shift, then suddenly changed clothes. Strange shift.

I guess the proof is in the pudding. It is what it is now. It was expected the opening regeneration episodes ratings would be high. Let's see if it can sustain them over the next 9 weeks.
Her supervisor told her to go home, so I can only conclude her shift had finished.

As far as I know coppers don’t wander around in their uniforms when they’re off duty.

And I guess what worries me is that Moffat started off promisingly and look what happened there.
Martin_Kinsella
Senior Moderator
Senior Moderator

Sharon D Clarke's character was originally touted as being a recurring character so I wonder how that will work. Will they go back in time and meet her ? Is she really dead.
J'aime Le Chameau Orteil.
thecypher

Martin_Kinsella wrote:Sharon D Clarke's character was originally touted as being a recurring character so I wonder how that will work. Will they go back in time and meet her ? Is she really dead.
Did Moffat really leave? :lol:
"That’s monstrous! Vaporisation without representation is against the constitution!"
LizR
Irony Maiden
Irony Maiden

Servorobot wrote: I guess what worries me is that Moffat started off promisingly and look what happened there.
Quite.
LizR
Irony Maiden
Irony Maiden

Martin_Kinsella wrote:Sharon D Clarke's character was originally touted as being a recurring character so I wonder how that will work. Will they go back in time and meet her ? Is she really dead.
Curiouser and couriouser. I've also been wondering about this, because she did seem to be a major character. Maybe Bradley's character will do a "Father's Day".
Darren Lake

Servorobot wrote:
...Moffat started off promisingly and look what happened there.
Did he? Must've missed that.
AlvisPresley

Definitely not a classic story... but I think Jodie is fantastic. She's got charisma to burn. With the right stories we could be in for something really special here. I'm eager to see where they go with this. Fingers crossed...
Servorobot
Head of Security
Head of Security

AlvisPresley wrote:Definitely not a classic story... but I think Jodie is fantastic. She's got charisma to burn. With the right stories we could be in for something really special here. I'm eager to see where they go with this. Fingers crossed...
Welcome to the forum. :D
Zarius
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

She's also appeared in other publicity photos, some distinctly NOT from this episode. Part of a ruse to conceal the surprise death, or is this Moffat trope being recycled?
'teleportNOW!'

lepter wrote: Twitter is an ecosystem in itself. I would very much doubt lads are going to be running around acting like Jodie. I could be wrong..
In 1978 I used to run around the playground pretending to be Wonderwoman. :lol:
lepter

Servorobot wrote:
lepter wrote:I thought the bit were the girl was a police officer, (with the gushing how well she had done for herself ), but when Ryan mentioned he was working in a warehouse, this was followed by aukward glances was out of order. Look down on warehouse workers bbc. Great job. Wasn't the police girl on a night shift, then suddenly changed clothes. Strange shift.

I guess the proof is in the pudding. It is what it is now. It was expected the opening regeneration episodes ratings would be high. Let's see if it can sustain them over the next 9 weeks.
Her supervisor told her to go home, so I can only conclude her shift had finished.

As far as I know coppers don’t wander around in their uniforms when they’re off duty.

And I guess what worries me is that Moffat started off promisingly and look what happened there.
Ah...fair enough. Must have missed that line.
Jacksen C Frame

Zarius wrote:
She's also appeared in other publicity photos, some distinctly NOT from this episode. Part of a ruse to conceal the surprise death, or is this Moffat trope being recycled?

Are we perhaps just going to have the odd flashback from Graham and Ryan, reflecting on how and why they miss her?
LizR
Irony Maiden
Irony Maiden

Hardly just a Moffat trope. Given time travel and/or alien technology it's possible to bring people back to life in a way that is reasonable in an SF context - see, say, "To your scattered bodies go" or "The age of the Pussyfoot" to pick a couple of fairly random examples. (Or as I mentioned before, "Father's Day".)
Servorobot
Head of Security
Head of Security

Zarius wrote:
I reckon they’re going to go to some planet that’s going to reconstitute her from Ryan and Graham’s memories.

Funny, Bradley Walsh doesn’t look anything like George Clooney, nor does he look Russian.

Anyway ....

Return to “SERIES 11”

• Information