29%

Total votes: 143
The Ginger Cat
Site Manager
Site Manager

Rate Ep.2 “The Ghost Monument”.
Tuggster

2 and I was being Generous
The more things change, the more they stay the same.
Martin_Kinsella
Senior Moderator
Senior Moderator

Effing Ell that was poor. Really really poor.i really wanted to like it but it was dull, slow, boring and devoid of character.
J'aime Le Chameau Orteil.
Polly

And that was the sum total of dragging a cast, crew and props half way across the globe to film in SA? What was the point? So bored I started reading the bbc news website on my phone instead while it was on in the background. Never done that before! At least I’ve got strictly now so the evenings not a total write off
Polly

I did have one highlight about 5 mins in.... winning a Jacqueline hill autograph on ebay! Down hill all the way from there
PatTroughtonFan

After watching this weeks episode I am now confident that the show is now just for kids as it is not structured or acted in a way that is interesting for most adults. The plot and dialogue is aimed for kids to understand.
This is unfortunate as Doctor who can be for the whole family, but while I can’t really enjoy the new series all that much I am glad that there is a generation of young people who can get into it now and enjoy the series.
PTF
There are some corners of the universe which have bred the most terrible things. Things which act against everything we believe in. They must be fought. -The Doctor
Zarius
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Some nice character moments, but one action set-piece and then more talking...and then a bunch of rags attack everybody...um, yeah, could have done with more of the androids instead.

And there's just something not reallistic about the group being completly ok with the Doctor even when she screws up...they're all going to die? "Great, fine by us Doc, we've got hope"...yeah, f off, lose your temper for christ's sake, you're a human being. Backhand the woman :shock:

This one fell short of the mark I'm afraid.
Rubbernecking

Plus points: The cinematography fantastic. Great to have a guest star that wasn't just poured into a UNIT uniform for a two minute cameo.

Minus points: Didn't really do much else! I felt sleepy on the boat and things picked up a bit. But didn't really go or do anything.

There's a really great Doctor Who series in here. It's just going to take a bit longer to appear. It needs a rocket up it's arse. Although at least the THREAT was there. But yeah, from the two episodes it looks like it's going to be broken-down in Averageville for a few weeks.
Takes a huge gamble with changing the lead and serves up instead really dull conservative storytelling.

We just can't win can we?
L. Scarman

So boring I'm ashamed to say I nodded off at one stage. Looks beautiful but boring, love the titles all the same
DSJR

Oh hell, and I actually enjoyed that one... Still not sure about Jodie and not trying to analyse this too much now, as it's obviously aimed at a young audience, but it 'seemed' to make sense, no complex twists and turns to add to the confusion, the incidental music as last week was excellent (I loathed the Murray Gold stuff all through - sorry) and for me if nobody else, the episode romped along and was finished all too quickly.

I also thought the TARDIS set, properly lit, was the best it has been since I don't know when (I still go with the original 1963 one, but I can't have everything) but still dislike the silly bits put there for a cheap laugh I think (it's a toaster too?). I for one, felt The Doctor's pleasure (and mine) at finding the ship again and the wonder and heartfelt pleasure at the 're-decoration' inside..

Must be just me then. Sorry if I go against the flow here...

I'll tune in next week to see what happens ;)
Hartnell's Wig

It didn't take long for the new series to hit a huge bump in the road. Take out Bradley Walsh and it had nothing going for it.

I don't care how nice JW is and how much I want to like her, she is not the Doctor. Simple as that.

Tennant with tits.
The key to usable HUMINT (Human Intelligence) is distinguishing the real, highly placed sources from the bullsh*tting wannabes who pretend they’re highly placed sources by making sh*t up
'teleportNOW!'

Hmmm - well, it *looked* very good, yes, obviously, with great location footage and some very atmospheric sets. And yer man Akinola's incidental music continues to be worthy of praise, adding a lot of atmosphere and with some very nice sound design, without ever drawing too much attention to itself. The costumes (apart from the Doctor's Playaway outfit) were good too.

Storywise - erm, it was a bit basic and linear. Not stupid or preposterous or annoying - but really, I'd be surprised Chinball thinks "hey! I've got this brilliant idea for a Doctor Who story - they get marooned on a planet, they discover the Tardis is bloody miles away, and so they have to walk there, avoiding lots of dangerous things. The End!" - I mean, really? :) You could say this is still just to introduce the TARDIS to the new companions, but you could've done that in a single scene last week!
Whatever happened to Doctor Who's wonderful cliff-hanger serials?

Writing-wise, I found a lot of Chinball's dialogue rather obvious - including very obvious "let guest character tell you sob story about their planet", or "hey kids! Don't play with guns!" hamfisted messaging ("yeah! Don't play with guns because that's stupid, because the things you shoot might come back to life afterwards and get you, so if you're really smart you'll use an EMP to destroy them instead" :lol: lolwut?

Acting - I was struggling a bit with some of that too. I don't really like mr Salt of the Earf Bus Driver.
My biggest concern was some of Jodie Whittaker's line delivery - there was one when she was explaining something near the start (after she arrived on the planet) which really made me cringe in it's "wooden delivery of bafflegab" aspect. She quite nicely portrayed "almost being in tears" near the end. Often I just felt she was doing this "daft as a brush" thing which lacked gravitas.

So, erm, it has some good qualities which are a huge improvement on Season 27 to 33 (or wherever we reached), but seems to be weaker in others.

New TARDIS set - well I guess it looked 'atmospheric' but I still prefer the original 60s - 80s design!
New theme tune - has some interesting sound design elements but overall just lacks bollocks - the BBC indent on Freeview was all in surround sound, then the Doctor Who theme tune came on about 6dB quieter and practically in mono. Sounded wick.
chap with wings

Very atmospheric, very Hartnell with a plot that made sense and a fair few plot threads left to tantalise. Beautiful TARDIS too. Magic.
"It can become a kind of franchise where it's not a real character at all, but just an amalgam of elements that people think are Doctor Who: a scarf, a bow tie... I wanted to be the actual Doctor Who." - Peter Capaldi

Follow me on Twitter at: https://twitter.com/BlogFinish

My Big Finish Review Archive is here - http://blogfinishplanetmondas.blogspot.co.uk/
robbo13

Actually saw about 2 minutes of this tonight. Enough to make me turn over again. Garbage.
thecypher

chap with wings wrote:Very atmospheric, very Hartnell with a plot that made sense and a fair few plot threads left to tantalise. Beautiful TARDIS too. Magic.
Is there a Doctor Who story you don't like? :roll:
"That’s monstrous! Vaporisation without representation is against the constitution!"
Zarius
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

robbo13 wrote:Actually saw about 2 minutes of this tonight. Enough to make me turn over again. Garbage.
Two minutes of the episode doesn't make your opinion valid.
mr borusa

PatTroughtonFan wrote:After watching this weeks episode I am now confident that the show is now just for kids as it is not structured or acted in a way that is interesting for most adults. The plot and dialogue is aimed for kids to understand.
This is unfortunate as Doctor who can be for the whole family, but while I can’t really enjoy the new series all that much I am glad that there is a generation of young people who can get into it now and enjoy the series.
PTF
Its a show now for young girls. They can even go out and by the Whitaker Doctor Barbie doll.
Binro was right.
robbo13

Zarius wrote:
robbo13 wrote:Actually saw about 2 minutes of this tonight. Enough to make me turn over again. Garbage.
Two minutes of the episode doesn't make your opinion valid.
It does for me thanks very much. If I watch two minutes of crap I will call it crap, ok?
mr borusa

thecypher wrote:
chap with wings wrote:Very atmospheric, very Hartnell with a plot that made sense and a fair few plot threads left to tantalise. Beautiful TARDIS too. Magic.
Is there a Doctor Who story you don't like? :roll:
He has to hate Twin Dillema, nobody admits to like that.
Binro was right.
Hartnell's Wig

PatTroughtonFan wrote:After watching this weeks episode I am now confident that the show is now just for kids as it is not structured or acted in a way that is interesting for most adults. The plot and dialogue is aimed for kids to understand.
I felt just the opposite last week. Doctor Who since 2005 has felt aimed at very immature adults and children under 10. Last week it was much more... straight.

This week's was pretty poor though. So poor it moved me to a pome.

Doctor Who
Episode two
Could have been good
But it was poo

Aythangyew... I'm here all week.
The key to usable HUMINT (Human Intelligence) is distinguishing the real, highly placed sources from the bullsh*tting wannabes who pretend they’re highly placed sources by making sh*t up

Return to “SERIES 11”

• Information