13%
12%
4%
5%
5%
29%

Total votes: 143
Hewy

Scot Ferre wrote:It's more important that the share is consistent or that it's not significantly declined. Episode 2's share and placement remains very high for that week.
Yes there is no avoiding that it is hugely popular - perhaps be the end of the season more popular than it has ever been before ...
"... But you can't rewrite history, not one line ..." Driven by Hewylogic© inside

"...we had the satisfaction of finding the finest harbour in the world, in which a thousand sail of the line may ride in the most perfect security..."
— Governor Arthur Phillip, 15 May 1788 Sydney Cove - Port Jackson
shuzbot

The camera work was sh*te. I hate that shaky cam bollocks. The stories have been perhaps a little mediocre but it's miles better than the Moffat crap. Bradley Walsh though...
'teleportNOW!'

Hartnell's Wig wrote:
greystone_06 wrote:I'm not a fan of the title sequence. The arrangement of the theme is insipid.
The thing most often mentioned about the original theme tune is how it scared kids, largely down to the bass line. Since it came back, this show has had arrangments that completely get rid of the bass.

Imagine a modern arrangment, with a thumpty thump bass line booming out of a sub-woofer so it goes right through you.

The arrangements since 2005 have lacked balls. They could be used on an ice cream van, most of them.
I agree, they have all emasculated the bass line.
Ace Leslie

Emmm what is highest? 1 or 10? I voted either of them then wandered if I'd selected the right one. I was trying to give highest vote but I think I selected 1 as in no:1 in charts so I might have selected the lowest one
Mr Ace Leslie aka Mr Ace St.John aka Mysteries ; -{]
:chase:
ericthehalfabee

Ace Leslie wrote:Emmm what is highest? 1 or 10? I voted either of them then wandered if I'd selected the right one. I was trying to give highest vote but I think I selected 1 as in no:1 in charts so I might have selected the lowest one
1 is low :)
paulhickling
Former Team Member
Former Team Member

feline1 wrote:
Hartnell's Wig wrote:
greystone_06 wrote:I'm not a fan of the title sequence. The arrangement of the theme is insipid.
The thing most often mentioned about the original theme tune is how it scared kids, largely down to the bass line. Since it came back, this show has had arrangments that completely get rid of the bass.

Imagine a modern arrangment, with a thumpty thump bass line booming out of a sub-woofer so it goes right through you.

The arrangements since 2005 have lacked balls. They could be used on an ice cream van, most of them.
I agree, they have all emasculated the bass line.
For me it's the better part. The original starts with it, as does the Peter Howell version. The latter is great when played with plenty of base. It has 'bite'. The single version has a nice bit where it just goes for pure baseline for a few seconds. Wonderful and I don't miss the melody.. I can't believe that within five versions (there was a particularly indistinct one for the 7b 'season') Murray Gold didn't give us one with plenty of the baseline. He left us with the strangled cat melody instead.
LizR
Irony Maiden
Irony Maiden

Ace Leslie wrote:Emmm what is highest? 1 or 10? I voted either of them then wandered if I'd selected the right one. I was trying to give highest vote but I think I selected 1 as in no:1 in charts so I might have selected the lowest one
Treat it as points out of 10.
Polly

Rob Mammone wrote:
Polly wrote:
Rob Mammone wrote:
Polly wrote:And as for the hype in the general press about how well received it has been so far, what a breath of fresh air, much needed new blood etc. etc., some 3.5 million viewers who watched the season opener were impressed enough not to bother to tune in to episode 2 - some vote of confidence!

Try not to let irrationality get in the way of the facts.
Oh I shan't.... consolidated figures for episode 1) - 10.9m. Overnight for ep 2) 7.1m. Admittedly that's not exactly comparing like with like but there's a 3.8m body of opinion not thinking 'oh great, can't miss it, must tune in on the night next time around. It's also a 3.8m gap that consolidated figures cannot possibly fill....we'll wait and see...
Waiting and seeing is what you should do. Of course there will be a drop off in the numbers, but using one set of numbers against another, incomplete set of numbers and drawing a conclusion from that is stupid.

Oh absolutely! :D Let's face it, that's half the fun 'cos if we're gonna get picky about knowingly speculating with incomplete data and information then we might as well close the omnirumour thread and its x thousand posts - and how many people's appreciation of the 'hobby' would that ruin?

So, if looking at what information is currently available, enjoying having speculative punt and then waiting to see what really happens is stupid then fair cop mate, hands up, you've got me. Stupid all over :floorroll:
nosfer2

Polly wrote:
Rob Mammone wrote:
Polly wrote:And as for the hype in the general press about how well received it has been so far, what a breath of fresh air, much needed new blood etc. etc., some 3.5 million viewers who watched the season opener were impressed enough not to bother to tune in to episode 2 - some vote of confidence!

Try not to let irrationality get in the way of the facts.
Oh I shan't.... consolidated figures for episode 1) - 10.9m. Overnight for ep 2) 7.1m. Admittedly that's not exactly comparing like with like but there's a 3.8m body of opinion not thinking 'oh great, can't miss it, must tune in on the night next time around. It's also a 3.8m gap that consolidated figures cannot possibly fill....we'll wait and see...
I can't speak for anyone else, but I watched Episode 1 on transmission, whereas for Episode 2 I had a family commitment so I caught up on iPlayer later in the week.
paulhickling
Former Team Member
Former Team Member

Watched The Ghost Monument the same way as the week before's and tomorrow's. I certainly can't ever watch it again on broadcast, as we have the family ritual of Sunday dinner. I'm cooking 6-7, eating 7-8 and in no rush for tv until my darling mother-in-law has returned home, and I watch on catch-up. Can't even record at the mo, as the recorder is acting up. First series since Season 19 not recorded!
richardsmith

You can hear what we thought here:

Something Who is a podcast with many episodes:
https://somethingwho.podbean.com/

Most recently:
Episode 17, where I chat with Chris Chapman
Episode 18, where I chat with Toby Hadoke
Episode 19, where we discuss The Faceless Ones and The Idiot's Lantern
Episode 20, Missing Episodes with Steven Schapansky
ericthehalfabee

WOW! That was really awful. I’m angry at how bad that was :x
ericthehalfabee

I have no idea how that made it to the screen. The story was completely bland. The threats were stupid. It's a race to the death and having seen of thousands of other competitors the two protagonists team up!? Then at the end one of them needed to win and in a year of writers copping out on writing challenging scenes, they hold hands and share it. That was lazy and so lame. Seriously, does no-one check the show runner's work at all? I have never said this before, but I could have written that better. Possibly the worst episode of anything I have ever seen.

So apart from the impossibly banal story...

The editing was weird. The second space ship crashes, heading for Graham and Ryan, and cut to the Doctor "Brace yourself!" You brace for impact you berk. Then later we have 30 seconds of Ryan wobbling about whether to climb a ladder, the Doctor being all twee and supportive, then does he make it, does he bottle it? CUT TO OUTSIDE SCENE A COUPLE OF MINUTES LATER. Just plain weird. But Ryan has other hidden talents... he's got an eye for working out what completely alien bits of spaceship do! That kid's got talent.

And WTF were those robots about? Completely useless, apart from against old pirate chops who gets shot instantly. Oh these must be dangerous. Then in the second homage to the A-Team this series, they fire 4,678,241 shots at four targets and miss each time. Ryans Call of Duty acting was genuinely funny, but COMPLETELY misplaced and did away further with any tension.

In less than a week Yaz has turned into some sort of simpleton, comparing the plight of the trophy hunter fighting for the survival of her family with her sister trying to get her bedroom. Man, that was badly thought out. Then I threw something at the TV (stress ball) when she proclaimed "but we have each other" when all seemed lost. Twee rubbish. She's written like an overly-well meaning 4 year old.

The great Art Malik must have been short on work. He appears as if he's an all powerful God at the start and in the end is cowed by a threat from those two nothings. What a waste of a great actor. I just didn't care about the two hunters. I just didn't. And for him to cave at the end like that... impossibly bad writing.

Oh and thank you for educating me, BBC, once again with another crow-barring in of identity politics done in a shallow and meaningless way. Give me strength. "My wife died" "So did mine". Hurrah Chris, well done mate!!

Graham was the stand-out again, with Ryan in second, but even those two looked distinctly embarrassed when their rather good scene about grief and mourning descended into "come on team, let's get this completely alien space ship going... yeah!!!"

And JW has gone from too much "acting" to not enough. She really laboured through much of that dialogue. She's just about the least memorable thing in this, which is a blessing!

Urgh - really not sure I can face another episode. He appears to be writing for 3 year olds. And even they'd be bored.
Servorobot
Senior Moderator
Senior Moderator

Be fair to Chibbers.

It’s written for 7 year olds!

You think this is bad, wait until you get to the metal eating space thingy one. That’s truly dire.
shuzbot

Plot was very basic and the shaky-cam stuff wasn't overdone but why bother with it?

The Doctor called those things robots but weren't they androids, i.e. humanoid form? Or do they have to be able to pass for humans with realistic flesh?

I don't know anything about dyspraxia but the guy can't ride a bike or climb a ladder confidently but can charge killer robots with a laser rifle and take them out single-handedly? Does that make sense?
Cygnus Prime
Senior Moderator
Senior Moderator

The Ginger Cat wrote:Rate Ep.2 “The Ghost Monument”.

Still reeling from their first encounter, can the Doctor and her new friends stay alive long enough, in a hostile alien environment, to solve the mystery of Desolation? And just who are Angstrom and Epzo?

Cygnus Prime
Senior Moderator
Senior Moderator

That scene......

Cygnus Prime
Senior Moderator
Senior Moderator

I can barely remember the details of the plot leading up to a reunion with the Tardis. Something about a prince wanting a load of people to race in some kind of competition to win "The Ghost Monument" that ended up being just the usual assortment of poor quality tv actors going through the motions in an uninspired script. Perhaps the most forgettable episode of the whole series 11 run?
Cygnus Prime
Senior Moderator
Senior Moderator

Polly wrote:
Sun Oct 14, 2018 7:52 pm
I did have one highlight about 5 mins in.... winning a Jacqueline hill autograph on ebay! Down hill all the way from there

:lol:

Return to “SERIES 11”

• Information