Rate “The Ghost Monument”

Rate “The Ghost Monument”

10
4
3%
9
6
4%
8
18
13%
7
18
13%
6
18
13%
5
17
12%
4
6
4%
3
7
5%
2
7
5%
1
42
29%
 
Total votes: 143
User avatar
DSJR
 
 
Posts: 422
Joined: Sun Jan 31, 2010 10:12 pm
Location: Suffolk Coastal
Contact:

Can any of you try to turn your analytical grown up minds off for fifty minutes or so? I seem to have gone beyond analysing this show now, as nothing will ever work quite the way I'd like it, no matter who writes, produces or acts in it.

It's a CBBC show now and I think 'we' just have to get used to that and judge it accordingly. Just judge it along the lines of The Sarah Jane Adventures, or do you all feel it's not up to that level yet?

As for the TARDIS comments above, it'll never be the 1960's design again I reckon (too white/off white/greenish/ too 60's angular...)
User avatar
LizR
Irony Maiden
Irony Maiden
Posts: 20965
Joined: Wed Dec 02, 2009 9:01 am
Location: Auckland, New Zealand
Contact:

I find myself seeing both sides again. Yes there were some ham-fisted bits of dialogue about "never using guns" and then she basically used a bigger gun (how do you generate an EMP from a robot's battery or whatever, anyway? Those thing normally need a small nuke). The cigar was obviously a Chekhov's gun, the guy who didn't trust anyone was obviously going to learn a Life Lesson, and the amount of mourning over the allegedly wonderful Grace was still minimal, even considering the situation. Plus the plot creaked rather ridiculously around the Hitch-hiker style infinitely improbable space rescue and the acetylene business (so this planet never has storms, or lightning, or anything that might set off an explosion, until a cigar comes along....an unstable mixture of gases just sits there waiting to be a deus ex machina? If only, given the amount of methane currently venting into OUR atmosphere from permafrost - but I digress). And Jodie is still lacking gravitas, although I felt she was marginally better this time.

Nevertheless, I enjoyed it. I don't know why people were "falling asleep with nothing happening", because it seemed to me that I barely had time to draw breath before something else was impending, even if the escapes were, as noted, a bit on the ludicrous side. Teleported into space, then on a crashing spaceship, trying to work out what's happening, tent, boat, microbes, killer robots, daft paper things, running down corridors - this felt to me like old-Who, and if anyone is going to tell me that had carefully crafted plots that made seamless sense I will be obliged to say bollocks it did.

So it was another adventure, not too original but good enough to be fun. Maybe I've had my expectations lowered unrealistically so something that doesn't screw up by trying to be wonderfully clever and ends up flat on its face, or tries to pull our heartstrings with Doctor-stupid ape wuv, seems wonderful by comparison. I just can't help thinking these are the sort of bread-and-butter stories that old Who was built on. If the standard chugs along at a steady 70%, say - I'm thinking Krotons, Tribe of Gum, whatever - then it has a chance to occasionally do something outstanding.

(Hmm, I always seem to be out of step with the majority - it started when I found myself dissing RTD when everyone else seemed to think he was God - oh well! :D )
chap with wings
Senior Member
Senior Member
Posts: 3651
Joined: Fri Oct 30, 2009 12:51 am
Location: Colwyn Bay, North Wales
Contact:

thecypher wrote:
chap with wings wrote:Very atmospheric, very Hartnell with a plot that made sense and a fair few plot threads left to tantalise. Beautiful TARDIS too. Magic.
Is there a Doctor Who story you don't like? :roll:
In broadcast order and off the top of my head:
The Chase, The Enemy of the World, The Wheel In Space, The Space Pirates, The Monster of Peladon, Masque of Mandragora, Underworld, The Armageddon Factor, Meglos, Arc Of Infinity, Resurrection Of the Daleks, The Two Doctors, Time and the Rani, TV Movie, Fear Her, Voyage Of the Damned, Planet Of the Dead, The Beast Below, Curse Of the Black Spot, Night Terrors, Dinosaurs on a Spaceship, Journey to the Centre Of the TARDIS, Robot Of Sherwood, Sleep No More.
"It can become a kind of franchise where it's not a real character at all, but just an amalgam of elements that people think are Doctor Who: a scarf, a bow tie... I wanted to be the actual Doctor Who." - Peter Capaldi

Follow me on Twitter at: https://twitter.com/BlogFinish

My Big Finish Review Archive is here - http://blogfinishplanetmondas.blogspot.co.uk/
User avatar
pmname
 
 
Posts: 107
Joined: Fri May 18, 2018 3:44 pm
Contact:

The whole thing looks badly(cheaply?) made to me. 2.
User avatar
LizR
Irony Maiden
Irony Maiden
Posts: 20965
Joined: Wed Dec 02, 2009 9:01 am
Location: Auckland, New Zealand
Contact:

chap with wings wrote:
thecypher wrote:Is there a Doctor Who story you don't like? :roll:
In broadcast order and off the top of my head:
The Chase, The Enemy of the World, The Wheel In Space, The Space Pirates, The Monster of Peladon, Masque of Mandragora, Underworld, The Armageddon Factor, Meglos, Arc Of Infinity, Resurrection Of the Daleks, The Two Doctors, Time and the Rani, TV Movie, Fear Her, Voyage Of the Damned, Planet Of the Dead, The Beast Below, Curse Of the Black Spot, Night Terrors, Dinosaurs on a Spaceship, Journey to the Centre Of the TARDIS, Robot Of Sherwood, Sleep No More.
You are a man of taste and discernment, chap. Well, apart from "The Chase", which is comedy gold.
User avatar
LizR
Irony Maiden
Irony Maiden
Posts: 20965
Joined: Wed Dec 02, 2009 9:01 am
Location: Auckland, New Zealand
Contact:

pmname wrote:The whole thing looks badly(cheaply?) made to me. 2.
You obviously aren't a fan of old-Who if that's a problem! :D
User avatar
mr borusa
 
 
Posts: 7904
Joined: Tue Jun 11, 2013 6:45 pm
Location: Gallifrey
Contact:

LizR wrote:
chap with wings wrote:
thecypher wrote:Is there a Doctor Who story you don't like? :roll:
In broadcast order and off the top of my head:
The Chase, The Enemy of the World, The Wheel In Space, The Space Pirates, The Monster of Peladon, Masque of Mandragora, Underworld, The Armageddon Factor, Meglos, Arc Of Infinity, Resurrection Of the Daleks, The Two Doctors, Time and the Rani, TV Movie, Fear Her, Voyage Of the Damned, Planet Of the Dead, The Beast Below, Curse Of the Black Spot, Night Terrors, Dinosaurs on a Spaceship, Journey to the Centre Of the TARDIS, Robot Of Sherwood, Sleep No More.
You are a man of taste and discernment, chap. Well, apart from "The Chase", which is comedy gold.
Mandragora and Resurrection are classics.
Binro was right.
User avatar
pmname
 
 
Posts: 107
Joined: Fri May 18, 2018 3:44 pm
Contact:

LizR wrote:
pmname wrote:The whole thing looks badly(cheaply?) made to me. 2.
You obviously aren't a fan of old-Who if that's a problem! :D
They had an excuse.
I was referring to the bad edits, which also threw me last week. She sonics the door closed but it wasn't clear they'd already passed. Later, all of a sudden they're in that blokes tent with no clear lead up.
Also the acting was dire. The kids ain't alright.

I wanted to feel a Hartnell traveler vibe, but the destination held zero fascination.
chap with wings
Senior Member
Senior Member
Posts: 3651
Joined: Fri Oct 30, 2009 12:51 am
Location: Colwyn Bay, North Wales
Contact:

LizR wrote:
pmname wrote:The whole thing looks badly(cheaply?) made to me. 2.
You obviously aren't a fan of old-Who if that's a problem! :D
It felt very “old Who” to me too, a Hartnell first season vibe much like the quest for the Dalek city or Marinus or Marco Polo, I thought it was very well done, exceptionally shot and scored and not at all preachy or trying to show off how clever the writer is.
"It can become a kind of franchise where it's not a real character at all, but just an amalgam of elements that people think are Doctor Who: a scarf, a bow tie... I wanted to be the actual Doctor Who." - Peter Capaldi

Follow me on Twitter at: https://twitter.com/BlogFinish

My Big Finish Review Archive is here - http://blogfinishplanetmondas.blogspot.co.uk/
User avatar
KINGSTON FRIZZ
 
 
Posts: 752
Joined: Mon Nov 11, 2013 3:18 pm
Contact:

Boring as hell.
User avatar
'teleportNOW!'
 
 
Posts: 5985
Joined: Wed Dec 02, 2009 12:49 pm
Location: UK
Contact:

mr borusa wrote:

Its a show now for young girls. They can even go out and by the Whitaker Doctor Barbie doll.
well sadly you can't just make shows for 40-sthg blokes with aspergers any more :alien:
User avatar
Nosey Neighbour
 
 
Posts: 940
Joined: Tue Apr 08, 2014 8:04 pm
Contact:

:D has
Hartnell's Wig wrote:
PatTroughtonFan wrote:After watching this weeks episode I am now confident that the show is now just for kids as it is not structured or acted in a way that is interesting for most adults. The plot and dialogue is aimed for kids to understand.
I felt just the opposite last week. Doctor Who since 2005 has felt aimed at very immature adults and children under 10. Last week it was much more... straight.

This week's was pretty poor though. So poor it moved me to a pome.

Doctor Who
Episode two
Could have been good
But it was poo

Aythangyew... I'm here all week.
:D :D :D
User avatar
Nosey Neighbour
 
 
Posts: 940
Joined: Tue Apr 08, 2014 8:04 pm
Contact:

The Tardis looked great.

The title sequence looks like a dishwasher tablet advert.

South Africa did not look otherworldly enough.

Long periods of nothing happening.

Some very clunky delivery of lines from everyone.

Those talking rags were really poor.

The self lighting cigar subsequently coming to the rescue was handily sign posted for everyone killing time until Strictly came back on.

3 steps backwards from last week’s very promising start, JW included.
User avatar
mr borusa
 
 
Posts: 7904
Joined: Tue Jun 11, 2013 6:45 pm
Location: Gallifrey
Contact:

feline1 wrote:
mr borusa wrote:

Its a show now for young girls. They can even go out and by the Whitaker Doctor Barbie doll.
well sadly you can't just make shows for 40-sthg blokes with aspergers any more :alien:
Science Fiction/Fantasy tends to be a male interest. Seems like they are aiming at a very young audience rather than the Hunger Games/Twilight/The Maze young teen audience.
Binro was right.
User avatar
Nosey Neighbour
 
 
Posts: 940
Joined: Tue Apr 08, 2014 8:04 pm
Contact:

LizR wrote:
pmname wrote:The whole thing looks badly(cheaply?) made to me. 2.
You obviously aren't a fan of old-Who if that's a problem! :D
I also thought it looked cheap. They could have filmed it in Norfolk on a windy beach.
User avatar
Martin_Kinsella
Head Moderator
Head Moderator
Posts: 4936
Joined: Wed Jun 19, 2013 1:25 pm
Contact:

pmname wrote:The whole thing looks badly(cheaply?) made to me. 2.
I did not like the episode but badly cheaply made is not something I got from it.
J'aime Le Chameau Orteil.
User avatar
'teleportNOW!'
 
 
Posts: 5985
Joined: Wed Dec 02, 2009 12:49 pm
Location: UK
Contact:

mr borusa wrote:
Science Fiction/Fantasy tends to be a male interest. Seems like they are aiming at a very young audience rather than the Hunger Games/Twilight/The Maze young teen audience.
Well, at least they no longer seem to be aiming it at people Attention Deficit Disorder any more, which is nice.
User avatar
'teleportNOW!'
 
 
Posts: 5985
Joined: Wed Dec 02, 2009 12:49 pm
Location: UK
Contact:

Martin_Kinsella wrote:
pmname wrote:The whole thing looks badly(cheaply?) made to me. 2.
I did not like the episode but badly cheaply made is not something I got from it.
It looked they spent a fortune on it, I suspect 'pmname' is just trolling.
User avatar
Martin_Kinsella
Head Moderator
Head Moderator
Posts: 4936
Joined: Wed Jun 19, 2013 1:25 pm
Contact:

mr borusa wrote:
feline1 wrote:
mr borusa wrote:

Its a show now for young girls. They can even go out and by the Whitaker Doctor Barbie doll.
well sadly you can't just make shows for 40-sthg blokes with aspergers any more :alien:
Science Fiction/Fantasy tends to be a male interest. Seems like they are aiming at a very young audience rather than the Hunger Games/Twilight/The Maze young teen audience.
It is not a bad thing to try to open dr who, or sci fi, up to a wider demographic.
J'aime Le Chameau Orteil.
User avatar
Martin_Kinsella
Head Moderator
Head Moderator
Posts: 4936
Joined: Wed Jun 19, 2013 1:25 pm
Contact:

Nosey Neighbour wrote:
LizR wrote:
pmname wrote:The whole thing looks badly(cheaply?) made to me. 2.
You obviously aren't a fan of old-Who if that's a problem! :D
I also thought it looked cheap. They could have filmed it in Norfolk on a windy beach.

Cromer ?
J'aime Le Chameau Orteil.
Post Reply

Return to “SERIES 11”

  • Information
  • Who is online

    Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 6 guests