LizR
Irony Maiden
Irony Maiden

mr borusa wrote:
LizR wrote:
chap with wings wrote:
thecypher wrote:Is there a Doctor Who story you don't like? :roll:
In broadcast order and off the top of my head:
The Chase, The Enemy of the World, The Wheel In Space, The Space Pirates, The Monster of Peladon, Masque of Mandragora, Underworld, The Armageddon Factor, Meglos, Arc Of Infinity, Resurrection Of the Daleks, The Two Doctors, Time and the Rani, TV Movie, Fear Her, Voyage Of the Damned, Planet Of the Dead, The Beast Below, Curse Of the Black Spot, Night Terrors, Dinosaurs on a Spaceship, Journey to the Centre Of the TARDIS, Robot Of Sherwood, Sleep No More.
You are a man of taste and discernment, chap. Well, apart from "The Chase", which is comedy gold.
Mandragora and Resurrection are classics.
Oops, missed both those in the list. Actually I quite like Wheel too, and Enemy was better than I expected.
Martin_Kinsella
Head Moderator
Head Moderator

chap with wings wrote:
thecypher wrote:
chap with wings wrote:Very atmospheric, very Hartnell with a plot that made sense and a fair few plot threads left to tantalise. Beautiful TARDIS too. Magic.
Is there a Doctor Who story you don't like? :roll:
In broadcast order and off the top of my head:
The Chase, The Enemy of the World, The Wheel In Space, The Space Pirates, The Monster of Peladon, Masque of Mandragora, Underworld, The Armageddon Factor, Meglos, Arc Of Infinity, Resurrection Of the Daleks, The Two Doctors, Time and the Rani, TV Movie, Fear Her, Voyage Of the Damned, Planet Of the Dead, The Beast Below, Curse Of the Black Spot, Night Terrors, Dinosaurs on a Spaceship, Journey to the Centre Of the TARDIS, Robot Of Sherwood, Sleep No More.

There's a few on there I really like. Monster of Peladon is a real favourite of mine. We aren't the same as fans. It's great that ed is positive about the show and enjoys it. Vive le difference.
J'aime Le Chameau Orteil.
Nosey Neighbour

Martin_Kinsella wrote:
Nosey Neighbour wrote:
LizR wrote:
pmname wrote:The whole thing looks badly(cheaply?) made to me. 2.
You obviously aren't a fan of old-Who if that's a problem! :D
I also thought it looked cheap. They could have filmed it in Norfolk on a windy beach.

Cromer ?
I think JW running into the sea like Pat Troughton did, once upon a time, would have been a nice nod to the past but the sea was full of deadly microbes.

Last week’s story held my attention all the way through and I really enjoyed it.

Unfortunately, I picked the whole thing to bits this week, white tents, CGI and dodgy laser blasts.

4 out of 10 from me.
A Disused Yeti

They changed canon by saying she was taught Venusian aikido by nuns and not the monks, like the 3rd Doctor said. Not cool! Obligatory, "I'm a lesbian", insert. wtf
Timeloopy

I gave it a 6/10 and that's probably generous

Pretty dull and forgettable story. Still not sure about Jodie yet. On the plus side I am liking Bradley Walsh and a big thumbs up for the new titles and theme tune.
The Ginger Cat
Site Manager
Site Manager

The NEW TARDIS: Everything you need to know | Doctor Who

greystone_06

Hartnell's Wig wrote:It didn't take long for the new series to hit a huge bump in the road. Take out Bradley Walsh and it had nothing going for it.

I don't care how nice JW is and how much I want to like her, she is not the Doctor. Simple as that.

Tennant with tits.

I had the same feeling. The acting was a bit wooden too, especially from the young male lead. Looks like we've traded off the TARDIS interior for a better exterior.
#William Hartnell will always be the 1st Doctor. The Doctor is male.
greystone_06

thecypher wrote:
chap with wings wrote:Very atmospheric, very Hartnell with a plot that made sense and a fair few plot threads left to tantalise. Beautiful TARDIS too. Magic.
Is there a Doctor Who story you don't like? :roll:
Hate to say it, but I was thinking the same thing... :shock:
#William Hartnell will always be the 1st Doctor. The Doctor is male.
'teleportNOW!'

A Disused Yeti wrote:They changed canon by saying she was taught Venusian aikido by nuns and not the monks, like the 3rd Doctor said. Not cool! Obligatory, "I'm a lesbian", insert. wtf

Yeah it would have been funnier if every had vomited when she mentioned her wife had been killed too, like in Little Britain, and Graham had gone " lol still, that's one less dyke to worry about!" eh? :roll:
pmname

Martin_Kinsella wrote:
pmname wrote:The whole thing looks badly(cheaply?) made to me. 2.
I did not like the episode but badly cheaply made is not something I got from it.
They've clearly spent on locale and hardware, but the skills of the personnel are poor. Acting, writing, editing, direction, sound mixing - all bad, possibly 'cos they're cheap.
Servorobot
Senior Moderator
Senior Moderator

I thought that was alright.

It looked really good and there was quite a bit of the old adventure in time and space, that has been sadly been lacking in recent years.

Jodie was alright. I don’t have a problem with her.

[]

I didn’t find it boring, so I wonder what those who thought it was need to get their kicks?

Zarius’ information was spot on and the Stensa did cop a mention. So much for no story arcs this season. So when do we expect the Daleks and Cybermen to turn up?
paulhickling
Former Team Member
Former Team Member

So EVERY Doctor needs his own Tardis that connects with THEM eh? Yeah, Chris, just like the Doctors you grew with did eh? Er, except no they didn't. How about the Tardis (inside and out) is the one thing that connects ALL the Doctors? You know, just when you're trying to persuade us that the woman in there is The Doctor that we've always known?

There needs to be a sprinkling throughout the series of things that remain the same and reassuring, when all else is shiny and new. The only time this series I got the slightest 'Who magic' buzz was when the police box materialised at the end of last night's. Wonderful moment, very nicely directed.

And then we went inside....

So, another area where Chibbers is an RTD fan then. Organic Tardis. At least Moff eventually gave us one that actually not only crossed two Doctors, but was technological in appearance, just as it was before 2005.

Anyway, the episode was ok. Apart from agreeing with the "Tennant with tits" comment on JW, the pacing was once again steady (one of the main improvements), the planet reasonably convincing. Shades of Marinus complete with Arbitan and poisonous water, and some reasonable action. However one bit of action we didn't really need was the 'shaky spaceship rocking action' which looked nearly as amateur as the scene in The Sensorites ep 1! Maybe I've been spoiled by all those similar routines (slightly more convincing) from Irwin Allen productions and (original) Star Trek.
date542

Watched it again with my missus and mum who were not as gripped as last week--reading papers/checking phones about half way through..however they again said how easy it was to follow
It reminded me of an episode of Star Trek Voyager.

If you compare the effects and shooting to previous Dr Who then they were top notch, however if you compare them to other current sc fi action shows such as `Lost in Space` then they were fine--audiences expect this now.

I`d have like at least one or two of the guest stars to look more alien/other wordly, instead of just walking off the set of Coronation St/Holby.

The alien threat was what..floating rags/bandages??...fook off!!

We were told the alien planet was deadly and the seas toxic--I would have thought they would have shown more of this but nope--all tell, no show...

JW is not doing it for me---she possesses no gravitas or presence..I cannot for the life of me see why she was cast apart from the fact she is Chinball`s mate---I see no eccentric or Doctor-y qualities in her at all. Any wacky doodle she does try and deliver seems forced and false. She is the first Doctor I have watched visualising what another actor would have been like with the same material--I can`t help feel that the likes of Keeley Hawes, Waller-Bridge or Capaldi would have lifted this as it all seems so flat.

New TARDIS was simply OK--Capaldi`s version was so much better.

Not sure about new titles--again Moffat`s versions were better--I liked the teasers then intro--think RTD said this was a way of restoring the cliff hanger in Nu-Who--going straight to the titles was a little jarring...
Servorobot
Senior Moderator
Senior Moderator

feline1 wrote:
mr borusa wrote:

Its a show now for young girls. They can even go out and by the Whitaker Doctor Barbie doll.
well sadly you can't just make shows for 40-sthg blokes with aspergers any more :alien:
:floorroll:
Jacksen C Frame

Quite poor.

As has been stated by others it is very CBBC, the programme is soooo aimed at a specific target audience, an audience that I am no longer a member of.

So many things didn't and don't work for me, too many to list, but hey read reason above.

Currently there are 97 missing Doctor Who episodes, all missing from my collection, I feel that the number of missing episodes in my collection is just going to increase.

Enjoy kiddies . . . .
Miss Cathcart

Overall I enjoyed it. Thought JW was good and easing into her role - she may not be fully there yet but she will be, I'm pretty sure. The episode looked great and I still like the music. There was no story to speak of - the sense of competition between the guest characters was completely forgotten about as the episode went on. Yes, the aliens may have been a bit cheap looking but I guess the producers have to make compromises on the budget somewhere and hopefully we'll get something more impressive in later episodes.

I agree that the dialogue seems forced in places and written for a purpose: maybe the guest writers will improve on that.

Interesting that several on here complain that Who is now being written with kids in mind - wasn't it ever thus? We all know that there's an age-old scepticism among non-fans who say that Dr Who "is just a kid's show". Of course it should be thought of as a family show really - a kid's show that the adults also enjoy - and I think the new series is aiming at that rather than at an under-18 audience.

7/10.
tony ingram

The actual story last night was marginally better than last weeks, but I'm sorry, Whittaker just irritates me every second she's on screen.
Zarius

DSJR wrote:It's a CBBC show now and I think 'we' just have to get used to that and judge it accordingly. Just judge it along the lines of The Sarah Jane Adventures, or do you all feel it's not up to that level yet?
Sarah Jane Adventures had it's moments of childishness, but it often gets marks for being more "traditionalist" and even having a maturity about itself that Nu Who at the height of it's powers was lacking. There's actually a lot of decent shows on CBBC too so I fail to see how calling DW a throwback to that kind of programming is in any way an insult.
Black Orchid

Not much plot but I enjoyed it.

Jodie Whittaker and the companions are better then anybody since Matt Smith, Amy and Rory. They are normal - no Impossible Girls, Doctor-Donna, Martha in UNIT crap (so far).

A better episode than The End of the World, The Beast Below and Inside the Dalek IMO.

The show is now catering for a mainstream family audience with children as the primary focus.

7.5/10
paulhickling
Former Team Member
Former Team Member

Just a thought, but if the sea is toxic, will that not have a poisonous effect on the atmosphere not to say the water cycle?

Anyway, Carnival of Monsters gave us the Drashigs. The Ghost Monument gave us er... dishrags :lol:

Return to “SERIES 11”

• Information