Moffat to "rest" the Daleks

Deleted User 3183

From the BBC Website.

Surely this makes the Fatlek re-design even more stupid!
vindu
 
 
Posts: 222
Joined: Mon Feb 01, 2010 10:34 am
Contact:

Isn't it in fact a response to the poor reception that the new "Daleks" received? Surely he won't say so out loud, but isn't that the obvious reason?

Good move, anyway. I don't think we need Daleks every season.

cheers
Vin
Deleted User 3134

First Moffat takes an iconic design that’s lasted almost 50 years and replaces it with something that looks like the bast*rd love child of a Telletubby and a Volvo estate. Then, when people complained the new design looks total pants, he lies. “Not a replacement – just an office class. The old design will be back.” And we’re expected to believe this tissue of nonsense? Insult our intelligence, why don’t you!

But the discontent rumbles on so he says: “We’ll be resting the Daleks for a while.” A move that looks like an attempt to cover up his mistake.

What worries me is that when Moffat brings the Daleks back – as he undoubtedly will – we’ll get the multi-coloured buoyancy aid variant with the production team crossing their fingers that viewers will have forgotten about the whole sorry mess of the redesign.

It also really annoys me that the last Dalek story was solely written to give us the ‘upgrade’ – a move that backfired so spectacularly that the result is that the Doctor’s oldest enemy gets ‘rested’ so that Moffat can save face.

The old adage “If it ain’t broke don’t fix it” springs to mind.

What’s really daft about the whole thing is that a redesign would have worked if it had been handled by someone who knew what they were doing. Lose the nuts and bolds and panel lines – not a problem. Add a bustle and a colour scheme used by Smarties and you get a backlash. Who could have seen that coming?

Anyone but Moffat, so it seems.
Deleted User 3183

Aha. Moffat has tweeted that he only meant this series! :lol:

http://twitter.com/#!/steven_moffat
User avatar
Kamelion
 
 
Posts: 1805
Joined: Thu Apr 29, 2010 2:16 pm
Location: Elephant & Castle LONDON
Contact:

Whatever the reason for their exclusion, I think it is the right decision. I have never been as excited by the Daleks in Doctor Who, but since the shows return in 2005 they have undeniably dominated virtually every season. This of course, lessens their menace and ultimately reduces them to a kind of 'Baron Greenback' or 'Dr. Claw' from Inspector Gadget
..."I'll get you next time Gadget.....NEXT TIME!!!!"
As stated above the re-design is a total abomination and I agree that it is probably instrumental in their departure as well as their overuse. Why not leave them alone for a few seasons? Keep thinking up new foes and threats for the Doctor to face - or better still, ressurect some more villains from yesteryear (Vervoids, Sil, Terileptils....)
I bet Nick Briggs is gutted.... :lol:
"..and who knows when it will end..."
Deleted User 3134

The Co=Ordinator wrote:Aha. Moffat has tweeted that he only meant this series! :lol:

http://twitter.com/#!/steven_moffat
D’oh! Moffat is more of an arse than I’d previously thought.

As a man who understands the media he will have known exactly how his statement would have been taken. Looks like he was just trying to drum up some publicity prior to next week’s mid-season hiatus.
Deleted User 3134

Kamelion wrote:Whatever the reason for their exclusion, I think it is the right decision. I have never been as excited by the Daleks in Doctor Who, but since the shows return in 2005 they have undeniably dominated virtually every season. This of course, lessens their menace and ultimately reduces them to a kind of 'Baron Greenback' or 'Dr. Claw' from Inspector Gadget
..."I'll get you next time Gadget.....NEXT TIME!!!!"
As stated above the re-design is a total abomination and I agree that it is probably instrumental in their departure as well as their overuse. Why not leave them alone for a few seasons? Keep thinking up new foes and threats for the Doctor to face - or better still, ressurect some more villains from yesteryear (Vervoids, Sil, Terileptils....)
I bet Nick Briggs is gutted.... :lol:
The Inspector Gadget reference is all too apt considering that the new Daleks have a weapons ‘swap-it’ capability – they keep their big guns in their extended trunks, behind the ribbed hatch.

I can all too easily imagine what it’ll look like as the standard Dalek gun slides around the shoulder section and a larger one rises from the rear of the skirt to replace it. I’m reminded of Wilfrid Hyde-White and the daffodil in Carry on Nurse.

A gimmick – that’s what the Daleks need! That’ll make ‘em popular…

Also, how long does an Eternal Dalek last?

Break them up or melt them down… up or down, I don’t mind which.
steamhead
 
 
Posts: 332
Joined: Thu Feb 11, 2010 3:42 pm
Contact:

You know it's amazing, that fans have been griping "why do we have to have Daleks every season" then when we get a season without them they're griping again and trying to blame it on the new design, rather than the much more logical (and frequently cried by us) reason that they are over used.

I have to say when I first saw the new Daleks on screen I wasn't "ooh yeah they're amazing" but I was pleased to see more primary colour back in them. Given the short time they were on screen I couldn't really form any objective opinion on them. Yes I could form some knee jerk reaction, but if I did that with everything new on Doctor Who I'd miss out on so much, for example I would never had discovered Peter Davison COULD turn out to be a decent Doctor given the right material.

However since then, having seen them "in the flesh" so to speak, on more than one occaision, they do come over much more menacing than the few moments on screen. The much larger size, and the lower register voice instills a lot more of a reaction from small children than the smaller "Espresso machines" do.

To me it's not a surprise given that last year we had the Prom and Doctor Who Live that a new larger almost charicature version was created to help sell the menace from a distance. Then couple that with the close quarters over powering of the larger Daleks in a dim lit control room in the Doctor Who Experience, and the bigger size and deeper voice really come into their own.

Anyone who has been to the Doctor Who Experience will also be able to see what kind of story he has in mind for BOTH types of Dalek when they do return. By creating some Marmite Daleks he actually gives opportunity to chose which side to root for.
Deleted User 3134

Well, I don’t want the Daleks every season and my dislike of the new design isn’t knee-jerk – after serious consideration I friggin’ hate the New Paradigm casings. And if anything, they’re worse up close – the unpainted gel coat is even more plastic in appearance than it appeared on TV.

Moreover, if you look at the publicity photos of them the vast majority are shot front-on – the only angle that really works. From the side they look like a spotty wardrobe – albeit painted in bold Duluxe colours.

Ummm… you really think that anything you saw at the Doctor Who Experience is going to be included in the show? I bet you a month’s supply of beer and skittles that there’s no Dalek war when they return. If nothing else, it’s been done before and it’s also a pretty naff idea.
User avatar
The Nimon
Senior Member
Senior Member
Posts: 8236
Joined: Fri Dec 04, 2009 9:24 am
Contact:

Hmmmm, just poped my head in here... think i'll leave :6doctor: Periiiiiiiiiiiiiii
The Judge Judy of Planet Mondax
User avatar
ianj
The Dominator
The Dominator
Posts: 3248
Joined: Sun Nov 08, 2009 10:09 pm
Contact:

Leaving them for this series and perhaps bringing them back towards the end of next years would create a better expectation for them-but ffs, junk the s******y new Volvo 244 design in bright tellytubbie colours daleks. Bring back the proper ones.
Deleted User 3156

King Womble wrote:
The Co=Ordinator wrote:Aha. Moffat has tweeted that he only meant this series! :lol:

http://twitter.com/#!/steven_moffat
D’oh! Moffat is more of an arse than I’d previously thought.

As a man who understands the media he will have known exactly how his statement would have been taken. Looks like he was just trying to drum up some publicity prior to next week’s mid-season hiatus.
I don't think Moffat understands the media at all.
Deleted User 3134

ianj wrote:Leaving them for this series and perhaps bringing them back towards the end of next years would create a better expectation for them-but ffs, junk the s******y new Volvo 244 design in bright tellytubbie colours daleks. Bring back the proper ones.
Bring them back when there's a good story idea and if that's not for a couple of years the show will go on in the meantime, hopefully proving that Doctor Who is at its best when doing something original. Fingers crossed!
User avatar
chesterfield
 
 
Posts: 1194
Joined: Tue Feb 09, 2010 5:53 am
Contact:

Moffat really needs to engage his brain before opening his mouth, he's supposed to be a professional but sometimes he comes across like a spoilt brat throwing a wobbler.

I'm not a massive fan of RTD but was media savvy and a good spokeman for the show. Moffat is charmless and everytime he opens his mouth these days it's to put his foot in it or moan about something.

The sooner Moffat leaves the better.
User avatar
The Nimon
Senior Member
Senior Member
Posts: 8236
Joined: Fri Dec 04, 2009 9:24 am
Contact:

chesterfield wrote:Moffat really needs to engage his brain before opening his mouth, he's supposed to be a professional but sometimes he comes across like a spoilt brat throwing a wobbler.

I'm not a massive fan of RTD but was media savvy and a good spokeman for the show. Moffat is charmless and everytime he opens his mouth these days it's to put his foot in it or moan about something.

The sooner Moffat leaves the better.
I don't agree. I'd rather have someone that puts their foot in it and make bloody good stories rather than some one who sucks up to the press and make sub standard stories :director:
The Judge Judy of Planet Mondax
User avatar
robbo13
 
 
Posts: 769
Joined: Sat Apr 23, 2011 7:13 pm
Contact:

The Nimon wrote:I don't agree. I'd rather have someone that puts their foot in it and make bloody good stories rather than some one who sucks up to the press and make sub standard stories :director:
Couldnt put it better myself.

Anyway, over the years the Daleks have changed a few times. Comparing the originals to RTD's and Moffats, I would say that Moffats are closer to the style that Cusick came up with, minus the hump though!
User avatar
Kajaboy
 
 
Posts: 4823
Joined: Fri Dec 04, 2009 1:11 am
Contact:

chesterfield wrote:Moffat really needs to engage his brain before opening his mouth, he's supposed to be a professional but sometimes he comes across like a spoilt brat throwing a wobbler.

I'm not a massive fan of RTD but was media savvy and a good spokeman for the show. Moffat is charmless and everytime he opens his mouth these days it's to put his foot in it or moan about something.

The sooner Moffat leaves the better.

There is no doubt that RTD was very good with the media side of things. But once in a while he would say things that were very stupid indeed.

My next door neighbour mixed up her KY jelly with the superglue. I asked her how she managed that but her lips are sealed.
User avatar
Kajaboy
 
 
Posts: 4823
Joined: Fri Dec 04, 2009 1:11 am
Contact:

The Nimon wrote:I don't agree. I'd rather have someone that puts their foot in it and make bloody good stories rather than some one who sucks up to the press and make sub standard stories :director:
[/quote]

If only that person were Moffat................ :lol:
My next door neighbour mixed up her KY jelly with the superglue. I asked her how she managed that but her lips are sealed.
User avatar
LizR
Irony Maiden
Irony Maiden
Posts: 20959
Joined: Wed Dec 02, 2009 9:01 am
Location: Auckland, New Zealand
Contact:

If only RTD had rested the Daleks...

What's that about lesbian Nazis, by the way?
User avatar
Kajaboy
 
 
Posts: 4823
Joined: Fri Dec 04, 2009 1:11 am
Contact:

LizR wrote:If only RTD had rested the Daleks...

What's that about lesbian Nazis, by the way?
It's a great quote from RTD from a documentary BBC 4 did about him around the time Doctor Who came back. He's talking about Dark Season.
My next door neighbour mixed up her KY jelly with the superglue. I asked her how she managed that but her lips are sealed.
Post Reply

Return to “The Smith Era”

  • Information
  • Who is online

    Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests