Moffat to "rest" the Daleks

The Nimon

Kajaboy wrote:
LizR wrote:If only RTD had rested the Daleks...

What's that about lesbian Nazis, by the way?
It's a great quote from RTD from a documentary BBC 4 did about him around the time Doctor Who came back. He's talking about Dark Season.
Did they have Lesbian Nazis in Dark season? I know they had Kate Winslet in it, wish i'd watched it now :floorroll:
The Judge Judy of Planet Mondax
The Nimon

Kajaboy wrote: If only that person were Moffat................ :lol:
It is... have you been watching Dark season by mistake? :lol:
The Judge Judy of Planet Mondax
Deleted User 3134

Oh, I love that video... very entertaining, although the Hitler quote at the end makes him look like a little bit of a berk!

:notfunny:
Grugger

Did he actually say that, I can't believe it? :shock:
Bobspoons

Hmmm
Mr Moffats comments are unusual and Im not sure what I think.

If we hadnt had the Dalek redesign (which Im not really a fan of) then I think resting them is a good idea for a bit of a break.
However, weve had the redesign, and now I left thinking:
A: why bother with it to then rest them.
B: I want to know more about the redesign story-wise which was hinted at, but now need to wait for.
C: How long now do I have to wait to find out if the original style will still have a major place in thw whoniverse.

So i think resting is a good idea, but I would rather have had a resolution to the redesign first (or no redesign).

Daleks have always tried to avid looking cumsy, while they are actually clumsy. The new bigger Daleks just look clumsier because they are bigger and so stretch belief that little more (not just stairs needed t escape Daleks, now go through a narrow doorway).
Original style always had that aspect of it looked difficult to get an actor in there, so was quite magical, but the new ones look big enough that there is no worry over an actor fitting inside, so not magical.

I know I juts went a bit off topic there (sorry) with Dalek design, but my main issue is that the redesign was too big/controveersial/different to do without giving a resolution to the whole thing.

Having said all that, I still think Mr Moffat is doing and excellent fantastic job overall!!

Alex
Posting name Bobspoons, real name Alex

PS: The avatar picture is "Alfred Chicken", for those of you who love the CBM-Amiga. Saw his pic in an avatar collection, wndered why he was there and decided somebody should keep the legend of Alfred alive.
Kajaboy

Grugger wrote:Did he actually say that, I can't believe it? :shock:
Yes he did. I can't remember where and when but I remember there being a big thread on the ILF and a number of papers covered it. Didn't do any harm long term though.
My next door neighbour mixed up her KY jelly with the superglue. I asked her how she managed that but her lips are sealed.
Kajaboy

The Nimon wrote:Did they have Lesbian Nazis in Dark season? I know they had Kate Winslet in it, wish i'd watched it now :floorroll:
It's not something you would spot as a child but as an adult you can tell that Jacqueline Pearce's character has probably had it away with all her followers. :lol:
My next door neighbour mixed up her KY jelly with the superglue. I asked her how she managed that but her lips are sealed.
Kajaboy

The Nimon wrote:
Kajaboy wrote: If only that person were Moffat................ :lol:
It is... have you been watching Dark season by mistake? :lol:
Dark Season has a begining, a middle and end..........infact it has 2 beginings, 2 middles and 2 ends as it's sort of stories split over 2 eps. Middles is something Moffat really needs to get to grips with.
I don't know if he ever watched Sesame Street but if he did he would know this. :lol: :floorroll: :floorroll:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hnoJwfnzmqA
LizR
Irony Maiden
Irony Maiden

Kajaboy wrote:He's talking about Dark Season.
Ah, the one I got in the hope that one of RTD's earlier efforts might explain his fearsome rep - my kids and I watched the first episode, became thoroughly bored, and gave up. I still have it somewhere.
Kajaboy

LizR wrote:
Ah, the one I got in the hope that one of RTD's earlier efforts might explain his fearsome rep - my kids and I watched the first episode, became thoroughly bored, and gave up. I still have it somewhere.
You should give it a go. It's very good. You would never guess that RTD was a fan of Peanuts when he called one of the girls Marcie. :lol:
steamhead

Bobspoons wrote:Hmmm
A: why bother with it to then rest them.
B: I want to know more about the redesign story-wise which was hinted at, but now need to wait for.
C: How long now do I have to wait to find out if the original style will still have a major place in thw whoniverse.
My thoughts when I first saw the new design was that he was setting up friction within the Daleks by creating a Master Race within a Master Race, rather than an outright replacement. When they did it before in original series I found it a little clumsy just giving the two factions different paint jobs. It made it seem like Daleks wearing gang colours, and to be honest I couldn't see any "motivation" why they would paint themselves different colours, given that they didn't even have names I can't imagine them expressing a thought of individualising their cause behind a colour scheme. But a remanufactured Dalek makes more sense with the original genetic progenitor wanting to be bigger and more powerful than the half-breed Daleks. So if a Dalek civil war is pending you won't have to remember which colour means what, it's a lot clearer.

Having seen the Dalek scene in the Doctor Who Experience it does look like he is setting up for a Civil war, so I can understand, given Season 5 was set up as a 2 season arc, why we won't be seeing Daleks this season, too much story to tell on both sides.

I have to say when I saw the new Daleks in 2005 I was a little unsure as they just looked like a blinged chrome espresso machine version of a Dalek. But once you see them really in action they came into their own with all their new feature and function. I'm hoping when we see a little more of the New New Daleks, other then the one scene of them standing round spouting exposition that we've had so far, that they may be a bit more than they first appear too.

I suspect we will see a lot more of both styles in season 7.
Zarius
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

LizR wrote:
DS is superb television, give it another try, it takes a while to get going
solarsystem

I hope we somehow get the original DalekLs back. The new ones still do not work for me sadly
LizR
Irony Maiden
Irony Maiden

Kajaboy wrote:
LizR wrote:
You should give it a go. It's very good. You would never guess that RTD was a fan of Peanuts when he called one of the girls Marcie. :lol:
Well, we did give it a go, but I suppose we could have another try. (Although that didn't work while he was DW showrunner...)
Tanlee
Banned From Forum
Banned From Forum

chesterfield wrote:Moffat really needs to engage his brain before opening his mouth, he's supposed to be a professional but sometimes he comes across like a spoilt brat throwing a wobbler.

I'm not a massive fan of RTD but was media savvy and a good spokeman for the show. Moffat is charmless and everytime he opens his mouth these days it's to put his foot in it or moan about something.

The sooner Moffat leaves the better.
I wouldn't want Moffat to leave. Personally I think he's the first decent producer the show's had since Hinchcliffe (although granted there are times I feel he forces his own high functioning sociopathy onto the show and onto the Doctor). But all the same his belittling remarks about the Daleks do come across as a bit irresponsible for a Doctor Who showrunner. Yes the Daleks don't always live up to their potential and it's often guaranteed that the Doctor will beat them, but if you want your show to be taken seriously and for viewers to buy the premise of the show should you really be drawing attention to that problem? It's like spoiling your own magic trick by pointing out the cards are hidden up your sleeves.
LizR
Irony Maiden
Irony Maiden

Tanlee wrote:But all the same his belittling remarks about the Daleks do come across as a bit irresponsible for a Doctor Who showrunner. Yes the Daleks don't always live up to their potential and it's often guaranteed that the Doctor will beat them, but if you want your show to be taken seriously and for viewers to buy the premise of the show should you really be drawing attention to that problem? It's like spoiling your own magic trick by pointing out the cards are hidden up your sleeves.
Exactly.

"Doctor Who" only works when it's being taken seriously, IMHO. It's completely ridiculous anyway, so sending itself up is completely self-defeating.

Patrick Troughton's reaction to the Dalek coming out of Maxtable's time cabinet perfectly sums up how it should be played, IMHO.
'teleportNOW!'

The Nimon wrote:
Kajaboy wrote:
LizR wrote:If only RTD had rested the Daleks...

What's that about lesbian Nazis, by the way?
It's a great quote from RTD from a documentary BBC 4 did about him around the time Doctor Who came back. He's talking about Dark Season.
Did they have Lesbian Nazis in Dark season? I know they had Kate Winslet in it, wish i'd watched it now :floorroll:

they *actually* had lesbian Nazis (more or less - albeit ones that June Hudson had clad in sky-blue lyrcra and polythene) in Terry Nation's season opener for Blakes 7 Season 2 ("Redemption").
They were played by that wee girl "Harriet" someone or other who was in Genesis of the Daleks as a Thal, and that lady who was in a Professionals where some stalker kept creepily going "Suuuusan... Suuuuuuuuuuusan...!" at here.
shuzbot

https://inews.co.uk/essentials/culture/ ... interview/

I voice the Daleks on Doctor Who – they’re all different in their twisted little ways

:Dalek:

Return to “The Smith Era”

• Information