Matt Smith leaving?

Deleted User 5445

I'm going to miss Matt Smith a lot as he has been my favourite of the new Doctor's because of his sheer 'Doctorishness' while the ninth and tenth Doctor's just weren't eccentric enough for me.

Also this period coincided with my two favourite companions of the new series Amy and Rory Pond who to me are the most likeable of all the new companions.

Overall I think the eleventh Doctor era has recaptured the imagination of the series which I found to be lacking before.

However I'm very excited about the casting of Peter Capaldi and pleased with the choice of an older actor as a contrast to Matt and I think the next series with Peter Capaldi as the Doctor will be the best.
Allons-y

Fewsham wrote:I'm going to miss Matt Smith a lot as he has been my favourite of the new Doctor's because of his sheer 'Doctorishness' while the ninth and tenth Doctor's just weren't eccentric enough for me.

Also this period of the show coincided with my two favourite companions of the new series Amy and Rory Pond who to me are the most likeable of all the new companions.

Overall I think the eleventh Doctor era has recaptured the imagination of the series which I found to be lacking before.

However I'm very excited about the casting of Peter Capaldi and pleased with the choice of an older actor as a contrast to Matt and I think the next series with Peter Capaldi as the Doctor will be the best.
I think Rory was great (when he wasn't being metaphorically whipped into line by Amy), Amy on the other hand was okay but I found her a little bossy and overbearing. My views on Matt are well documented on this forum, so I won't labour a point, however I think there can be a fine line between being eccentric (in the case of the doctor, a good thing) and being a madman who prances about everywhere with fits of energy and comes across as a little incompetent (certainly not a good thing) and for me, Matt fell the wrong side of that line although I'd argue he has been improving (or maybe I've just become used to him). Unfortunately I fear the problem (and yes the "problem" is merely an opinion) may be Moffat more than Smith, meaning Capaldi might be as bad, or worse.
AMERICA IS AN ANVIL.

:4thDoctor: There's no point in being grown up, if you can't be childish sometimes!
Deleted User 5445

Allons-y wrote:I think Rory was great (when he wasn't being metaphorically whipped into line by Amy), Amy on the other hand was okay but I found her a little bossy and overbearing. My views on Matt are well documented on this forum, so I won't labour a point, however I think there can be a fine line between being eccentric (in the case of the doctor, a good thing) and being a madman who prances about everywhere with fits of energy and comes across as a little incompetent (certainly not a good thing) and for me, Matt fell the wrong side of that line although I'd argue he has been improving (or maybe I've just become used to him). Unfortunately I fear the problem (and yes the "problem" is merely an opinion) may be Moffat more than Smith, meaning Capaldi might be as bad, or worse.
Well from my own perspective I enjoy the direction Steven Moffat has taken the show in and I rate him highly as a writer. I find the 'timey wimey' element of the show Moffat introduced very entertaining and appropriate for the series and the Ponds are the perfect companions for me as a modern day counterpart to Ian and Barbara. My only criticism of the eleventh Doctor era was the 'River Song' story-arc which I found to be drawn out and somewhat convoluted and this unfortunately detrimentally effected my enjoyment of series 6 after enjoying series 5 so much. Personally I think the 'River Song' story-arc overreached itself and I would have been grateful if series 6 hadn't of been centred around River which is not to say I dislike her but she took up a lot of episodes in series 6 which I think would have been more interesting if she had of been a lesser presence.

I greatly enjoyed Matt's portrayal of the title character and I welcomed all the idiosyncrasies he brought to the role.
paulhickling
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

First off I defend River Song, and would be more than happy for her to know a third Doctor (no, not Pertwee). It's nice to have someone who knows him as one person despite him having a different face and personality. It links them all. Which I like.

But Matt has been a brilliant Doctor. It's my opinion that we haven't had a bad one since the series was revived. No one would have believed an actor like Eccleston would do it. Then Tennant was a mega hit, and now we have a more trad Doctor. The only two things I find failed is the "development" Matt said he was going to have doesn't feel like it's happened. And I think it was a mistake to take away the tweed jacket. It defined his outline, which has been watered down by the less distinctive and derivative frock coat.

And I'm afraid I miss the emotion of the previous two. This side of RTD's writing afforded the first two new Who Doctors with more gravitas, and more rounded characters. I know many non-fans who think that after Tennant Matt was too silly or comical.

But as a Doctor, Matt was brilliant, and I will miss him.
Deleted User 5445

paulhickling wrote:First off I defend River Song, and would be more than happy for her to know a third Doctor (no, not Pertwee). It's nice to have someone who knows him as one person despite him having a different face and personality. It links them all. Which I like.

But Matt has been a brilliant Doctor. It's my opinion that we haven't had a bad one since the series was revived. No one would have believed an actor like Eccleston would do it. Then Tennant was a mega hit, and now we have a more trad Doctor. The only two things I find failed is the "development" Matt said he was going to have doesn't feel like it's happened. And I think it was a mistake to take away the tweed jacket. It defined his outline, which has been watered down by the less distinctive and derivative frock coat.

And I'm afraid I miss the emotion of the previous two. This side of RTD's writing afforded the first two new Who Doctors with more gravitas, and more rounded characters. I know many non-fans who think that after Tennant Matt was too silly or comical.

But as a Doctor, Matt was brilliant, and I will miss him.
I definitely agree about the tweed jacket which should never have been replaced as it was very distinctive and uniquely associated with his Doctor. The frock coat might have worked for one episode such as 'The Snowmen' but otherwise it was a mistake.

As for River Song I liked her best in 'Silence in the Library' and 'Forest of the Dead' but I can see the value in using her again I just would have preferred the personality of the character to have stayed closer to how we saw her first and also that an entire story-arc (which I have mixed feelings about) be built around her.

I wouldn't disagree that Russell T Davis wrote very emotionally invested storylines and I can understand how many would be use to this formula after the success of the tenth Doctor however for my own tastes I could find it overbearing at times. However there is emotion to be found in Moffat's writing but I'm glad it's been scaled back from the Doctor himself.
Kamelion

Thank you for finally relinquishing the part
"..and who knows when it will end..."
The Nimon

Kamelion wrote:Thank you for finally relinquishing the part
Behave ;)
The Judge Judy of Planet Mondax
paulhickling
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

I would say thanks for a great performance, and four great years. Even if one of them was really one series stretched across two. :cry:

Well done, and the best of luck from here on.

Return to “The Smith Era”

• Information