A Matt Smith good riddance thread

Johnr

The Eleventh Doctor has been an embarrassment. That's no surprise, though, as Moffat believes the Doctor is a silly comedy character so we ended up with the "eccentric madman" cliche.
chap with wings

I really don't understand why the Doctor has to be "eccentric" or "zany" to convey his alienness. Smith ended up being a cross between Robin Willams and Timmy Mallett.
"It can become a kind of franchise where it's not a real character at all, but just an amalgam of elements that people think are Doctor Who: a scarf, a bow tie... I wanted to be the actual Doctor Who." - Peter Capaldi

Follow me on Twitter at: https://twitter.com/BlogFinish

My Big Finish Review Archive is here - http://blogfinishplanetmondas.blogspot.co.uk/
Allons-y

I think it's just easier than actually do something original and which requires some thought.
AMERICA IS AN ANVIL.

:4thDoctor: There's no point in being grown up, if you can't be childish sometimes!
markhuk
Styles Moderator
Styles Moderator

chap with wings wrote:I really don't understand why the Doctor has to be "eccentric" or "zany" to convey his alienness. Tennant ended up being a cross between Robin Willams and Timmy Mallett.
See this can apply to more than one
Deleted User 4238

The Eleventh Doctor set course for Pat Troughton - ended up just short of Tim Wonnacott.
The Nimon

markhuk wrote:
chap with wings wrote:I really don't understand why the Doctor has to be "eccentric" or "zany" to convey his alienness. Tennant ended up being a cross between Robin Willams and Timmy Mallett.
See this can apply to more than one
Too right. Tom Baker During season 17 springs to mind
The Judge Judy of Planet Mondax
bingo99

chap with wings wrote:I really don't understand why the Doctor has to be "eccentric" or "zany" to convey his alienness. Smith ended up being a cross between Robin Willams and Timmy Mallett.
I love Patrick Troughton, but his influence on the show has been woeful. His endearing Chaplinesque comedy moments have mutated into the banana skinned gurning wacky professor show. Just for once, I wish they'd go for a new Doctor that was more reminiscent of Pertwee. Purely in terms of future influence, screw Troughton. I've had enough, I can't take any more.
"Scriptwriters are confident they'll make a huge impact. Everyone remembers the Daleks and the Cyberman, but not a lot else if they're honest. The Tritovore will change that. They will last long in the memory" - New Who PR, 2009
chap with wings

Agreed Bingo, I would also love a modern take on a Pertwee style Doctor.
"It can become a kind of franchise where it's not a real character at all, but just an amalgam of elements that people think are Doctor Who: a scarf, a bow tie... I wanted to be the actual Doctor Who." - Peter Capaldi

Follow me on Twitter at: https://twitter.com/BlogFinish

My Big Finish Review Archive is here - http://blogfinishplanetmondas.blogspot.co.uk/
The Nimon

chap with wings wrote:Agreed Bingo, I would also love a modern take on a Pertwee style Doctor.
If it gets overblown though the Doctor who turn into a Ninja
The Judge Judy of Planet Mondax
greystone_06

I'm all for the Pertwee take also. Unfortunately Moffat sees the Doctor as a whole, as a madman with a box. So until Moffat goes I don't see a hope for serious DW.

Now as good ol' 'Moff', seems to be in the process of transforming himself into JNT (complete with :floorroll: direction) I can't see us ever being rid of the menace. He's certainly scares me more than anything I've seen on screen in the last ten years.

Smith was a Moffat miscast from the start.
#William Hartnell will always be the 1st Doctor. The Doctor is male.
greystone_06

Allons-y wrote:I think it's just easier than actually do something original and which requires some thought.

I'm all in favor of this statement.
#William Hartnell will always be the 1st Doctor. The Doctor is male.
Zarius
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

What a stupid thread

Guy gives you four years of his life, does wonders for the programme, and you losers reward him like this

Disgraceful. Thanks for again proving none of you are half the men he is.
LizR
Irony Maiden
Irony Maiden

Zarius wrote:Thanks for again proving none of you are half the men he is.
I'm happy to admit that.

Back on topic, discussing the pros and cons of a portrayal of the Doctor isn't "disgraceful" it's the sort of thing this forum should be doing.
iank

I'm convinced Zarius is a spambot that has taken on a life of its own. Just... not much of one.

Smith is not the problem, though. He was very promising in series 5. Unfortunately the writers let him down badly, caricaturising him in record time and then serving up some of the most appalling scripts any Doctor has ever had the misfortune to have to deal with.

Let us pray they up their sodding game with the frankly unbelievable new lead they've managed to get.
(Doctor Who) has been hijacked and redefined as a lucrative modern franchise. They've literally taken a square peg and painfully made it fit a round hole by taking enormous liberties with much of its fundamental essence. There's no turning back now.

- ozymandias, The Leisure Hive 2010
ReganMacNeilfan

iank wrote:I'm convinced Zarius is a spambot that has taken on a life of its own. Just... not much of one.

Smith is not the problem, though. He was very promising in series 5. Unfortunately the writers let him down badly, caricaturising him in record time and then serving up some of the most appalling scripts any Doctor has ever had the misfortune to have to deal with.

Let us pray they up their sodding game with the frankly unbelievable new lead they've managed to get.

It's the writers not the actors we have to blame.
Demon: And I'm the Devil. Now kindly undo these straps.
Norman Bates: 'Cause I don't wanna get messed up with the police. I can't explain it to you. Maybe you're right, maybe this is real... but finding out what happened to this girl isn't gonna make a difference to anyone. She's still gonna be dead, and you're still gonna be sick... and I'm still gonna be who I am.
iank

Indeed.
(Doctor Who) has been hijacked and redefined as a lucrative modern franchise. They've literally taken a square peg and painfully made it fit a round hole by taking enormous liberties with much of its fundamental essence. There's no turning back now.

- ozymandias, The Leisure Hive 2010
LizR
Irony Maiden
Irony Maiden

Robert Watkins wrote:We miss you Zarius
You've gotta improve your aim.
ReganMacNeilfan

LizR wrote:
You've gotta improve your aim.
Aim? I got better aim throwing darts at a balloon. :floorroll:
Norman Bates: 'Cause I don't wanna get messed up with the police. I can't explain it to you. Maybe you're right, maybe this is real... but finding out what happened to this girl isn't gonna make a difference to anyone. She's still gonna be dead, and you're still gonna be sick... and I'm still gonna be who I am.
ReganMacNeilfan

Is he removed from the forum? Cause if not and he comes back i am giving him a piece of my mind!
ReganMacNeilfan

Zarius had a pick of Matt as his avatar and he hates him. Anyone see the logic here? I don't.

Return to “The Smith Era”

• Information