Doctor who wins best Drama at TV Choice awards

The Nimon

The Judge Judy of Planet Mondax
Mr. Ron

Round of applause for all the kids on Digital Spy :lol:
"You've got one of the best ME resources online here." - Friends of Derek

Ronnie (n): moustache - after movie star, Ronald Coleman
Llamastrangler

It's been eight years since the series came back- I really should be used to all this mainstream popularity stuff by now. But I don't think a fan of my generation ever quite will be...!
Have a look at my blog. It's sort of ok

http://llamastranglermarathon.blogspot.com/
ReganMacNeilfan

Oh good :)
Demon: And I'm the Devil. Now kindly undo these straps.
Norman Bates: 'Cause I don't wanna get messed up with the police. I can't explain it to you. Maybe you're right, maybe this is real... but finding out what happened to this girl isn't gonna make a difference to anyone. She's still gonna be dead, and you're still gonna be sick... and I'm still gonna be who I am.
The Krynoid Man

I find it funny that the classic series was never even nominated for any kind of award during it's 26 year run. But the new series has won awards every year for the past 8 years. Actually it's not funny it's f***ing disgraceful.
One morning I shot an elephant in my pajamas. How he got in my pajamas, I don't know.
Allons-y

The Krynoid man wrote:I find it funny that the classic series was never even nominated for any kind of award during it's 26 year run. But the new series has won awards every year for the past 8 years. Actually it's not funny it's f***ing disgraceful.
So because the classic series never was the new series shouldn't be? The classic series should've been but wasn't, it's good that the new series is.
AMERICA IS AN ANVIL.

:4thDoctor: There's no point in being grown up, if you can't be childish sometimes!
The Krynoid Man

Allons-y wrote:
The Krynoid man wrote:I find it funny that the classic series was never even nominated for any kind of award during it's 26 year run. But the new series has won awards every year for the past 8 years. Actually it's not funny it's f***ing disgraceful.
So because the classic series never was the new series shouldn't be? The classic series should've been but wasn't, it's good that the new series is.
No, I'm happy the new series wins awards. It just annoys me that the new series always seems to be up for some award, even if it doesn't deserve it, but the classic series never got a mention. You could argue that it shows that Doctor Who is finally getting the respect it deserves, but it's a case of too little too late.
One morning I shot an elephant in my pajamas. How he got in my pajamas, I don't know.
tony ingram

The Krynoid man wrote:
Allons-y wrote:
No, I'm happy the new series wins awards. It just annoys me that the new series always seems to be up for some award, even if it doesn't deserve it, but the classic series never got a mention. You could argue that it shows that Doctor Who is finally getting the respect it deserves, but it's a case of too little too late.
I think the obvious point to be made here is: if the new series is up for an award, it's because people think it deserves it.

I'm not saying the old series didn't deserve it. But you can't say that the new series doesn't, if it's been nominated.
paulhickling
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Personally I'm over the moon whenever Doctor Who wins awards, which yes it's only happened since 2005. The reality here is that since people of the calibre of the calibre of Russell T Davies (as far as the media etc was concerned), and Christopher Eccleston) were responsible for it's relaunch, the various commentators sat up and took notice in a way they never did before. The knock-on effect is still there for all who follow. And this is not a RTD v Moff debate!

I'm of the mind that it's long overdue, and along with better production values, this is the treatment 'our' show should have been getting all along. I remember as a kid the 'good old days' when I watched award shows in the 70s, waiting in vain for Who to even get a mention, and there was never a cat in hell's chance. Russell himself points to Robert Holmes who should have been getting the same attention as a writer for the series as he and Moff are getting now.

Another larger point, is that these days fantasy and sf are not the subjects regarded as childish they were in the pre-Star Wars days. The Return of the King walked away with a sack full of Oscars, including crucially Best Picture, Director and screenplay. Before this I could not imagine a time when this kind of subject matter was considered anything but childrens enertainment, and a sub genre for a minority of enthusiasts usually (and still up to a point) considered nerds.

For me the fact it's new Who that's winning is irrelevant. It's Doctor Who, and that's fantastic. But then I'm one of those "it's all one big wonderful show" type of people.
Allons-y

The Krynoid man wrote:
Allons-y wrote:
that's precisely what I am arguing
AMERICA IS AN ANVIL.

:4thDoctor: There's no point in being grown up, if you can't be childish sometimes!
paulhickling
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

And I simply think, as we know the saying goes - "it's about time".
The Nimon

The classic series won best Drama during the BBC at 60 event in the 90s, beating every drama ever made by the BBC up to that point
The Judge Judy of Planet Mondax
LizR
Irony Maiden
Irony Maiden

Allons-y wrote:So because the classic series never was the new series shouldn't be? The classic series should've been but wasn't, it's good that the new series is.
I'm trying to parse those sentences but I think my brain just blew a fuse.
LizR
Irony Maiden
Irony Maiden

Allons-y wrote:
The Krynoid man wrote:No, I'm happy the new series wins awards. It just annoys me that the new series always seems to be up for some award, even if it doesn't deserve it, but the classic series never got a mention. You could argue that it shows that Doctor Who is finally getting the respect it deserves, but it's a case of too little too late.
You mean it's getting a lifetime achievement award rather than just one for newWho?
paulhickling
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

LizR wrote:
Allons-y wrote:
The Krynoid man wrote:No, I'm happy the new series wins awards. It just annoys me that the new series always seems to be up for some award, even if it doesn't deserve it, but the classic series never got a mention. You could argue that it shows that Doctor Who is finally getting the respect it deserves, but it's a case of too little too late.
You mean it's getting a lifetime achievement award rather than just one for newWho?
There is definitely an element of that yes. Bit like when Peter Jackson got that sackful of Oscars for Return of the King. Most of that was for the achievement of getting the whole thing done, as far as I'm concerned.

With Who though, I still feel support for the new as well as old, but I'd be lying if the lifetime achievement element didn't come into it every time I vote for Who in the NTVs. And as much for my own lifetime achievement of seeing it happen at last!

Objectivity be damned. We're fans. It is short for fanatic. And I like the idea of supporting Who.
Mr. Ron

I thought WHO won the TV Chav award for "Sherlock not having a new series this year".

In the same way Sherlock sometimes wins awards for "Doctor Who not having a new series".

Its no secret the online communities gatecrash these awards, with "block voting" for one or two categories.

;)

I was, however, delighted to find the Chavs agree that Olivia Colman is overrated.
"You've got one of the best ME resources online here." - Friends of Derek

Ronnie (n): moustache - after movie star, Ronald Coleman
The Ginger Cat
Site Manager
Site Manager

Return to “The Smith Era”

• Information