My Matt Smith Era Overview

Tanlee
Banned From Forum
Banned From Forum
Posts: 1225
Joined: Mon Oct 11, 2010 10:45 pm

Allons-y wrote:You don't have to like it, but you sure take it personally.
Well I happen to be part of the human race and do consider it my right to defend myself and kill an aggressor if it saves my own life or the people I care about. In that regard the story is a direct insult to and condemnation of me and of everyone else on the planet as rational minded.

Besides, I'm sorry but I can't help but find a story in which the Doctor yells at a woman for wanting to defend herself against her harm-meaning attackers and telling her how she should put their wellbeing above her own.... a little bit, erm... rapey, shall we say?
User avatar
tony ingram
 
 
Posts: 2893
Joined: Tue Feb 09, 2010 7:03 pm
Contact:

Tanlee wrote:
Allons-y wrote:You don't have to like it, but you sure take it personally.
Well I happen to be part of the human race and do consider it my right to defend myself and kill an aggressor if it saves my own life or the people I care about. In that regard the story is a direct insult to and condemnation of me and of everyone else on the planet as rational minded.

Besides, I'm sorry but I can't help but find a story in which the Doctor yells at a woman for wanting to defend herself against her harm-meaning attackers and telling her how she should put their wellbeing above her own.... a little bit, erm... rapey, shall we say?
The Doctor's point, I would say, is that the other party involved in the conflict also happens to have a valid viewpoint: as far as they're concerned, the humans are the invaders who've taken their planet and turned it into a total hellhole. And they were here first.
Tanlee
Banned From Forum
Banned From Forum
Posts: 1225
Joined: Mon Oct 11, 2010 10:45 pm

tony ingram wrote:
Tanlee wrote:
Allons-y wrote:You don't have to like it, but you sure take it personally.
Well I happen to be part of the human race and do consider it my right to defend myself and kill an aggressor if it saves my own life or the people I care about. In that regard the story is a direct insult to and condemnation of me and of everyone else on the planet as rational minded.

Besides, I'm sorry but I can't help but find a story in which the Doctor yells at a woman for wanting to defend herself against her harm-meaning attackers and telling her how she should put their wellbeing above her own.... a little bit, erm... rapey, shall we say?
The Doctor's point, I would say, is that the other party involved in the conflict also happens to have a valid viewpoint: as far as they're concerned, the humans are the invaders who've taken their planet and turned it into a total hellhole. And they were here first.
Wasn't it the Sixth Doctor in Bloodtide who said that reducing it to a question of "who was here first" is basically kindergarden politics and overlooks thge fact that the Silurians can't expect to go to sleep for a millin years and for eveeything to stay the same on the top because essentially "nature abhors a vacuum".

... despite which it seems that the Doctor seems to believe the Silurians have not only an equally valid claim to the planet, but an equally valid claim for the right to blow it up! What the Hell!?

So to sum up the Doctor's belief in the Silurian's validity of their position. It's that the Silurians have shall we say an 'ancient grudge' against the human species and, for want of a better word, they need 'breathing room', and that's why they're attacking the humans and committing these 'ethnic cleansing' massacres.

I'm sorry but that sounds like turning the Doctor into a Nazi-sympathiser to me.

.... like I said, a total character assassination. A disgraceful butchering and wasting of all previous 20 years worth of work by past writers and producers to build the Doctor into an admirable, championable hero.
User avatar
tony ingram
 
 
Posts: 2893
Joined: Tue Feb 09, 2010 7:03 pm
Contact:

Tanlee wrote:
tony ingram wrote:
Tanlee wrote: Well I happen to be part of the human race and do consider it my right to defend myself and kill an aggressor if it saves my own life or the people I care about. In that regard the story is a direct insult to and condemnation of me and of everyone else on the planet as rational minded.

Besides, I'm sorry but I can't help but find a story in which the Doctor yells at a woman for wanting to defend herself against her harm-meaning attackers and telling her how she should put their wellbeing above her own.... a little bit, erm... rapey, shall we say?
The Doctor's point, I would say, is that the other party involved in the conflict also happens to have a valid viewpoint: as far as they're concerned, the humans are the invaders who've taken their planet and turned it into a total hellhole. And they were here first.
Wasn't it the Sixth Doctor in Bloodtide who said that reducing it to a question of "who was here first" is basically kindergarden politics and overlooks thge fact that the Silurians can't expect to go to sleep for a millin years and for eveeything to stay the same on the top because essentially "nature abhors a vacuum".

... despite which it seems that the Doctor seems to believe the Silurians have not only an equally valid claim to the planet, but an equally valid claim for the right to blow it up! What the Hell!?

So to sum up the Doctor's belief in the Silurian's validity of their position. It's that the Silurians have shall we say an 'ancient grudge' against the human species and, for want of a better word, they need 'breathing room', and that's why they're attacking the humans and committing these 'ethnic cleansing' massacres.

I'm sorry but that sounds like turning the Doctor into a Nazi-sympathiser to me.

.... like I said, a total character assassination. A disgraceful butchering and wasting of all previous 20 years worth of work by past writers and producers to build the Doctor into an admirable, championable hero.
Yeah.
...
You don't like lizards, do you?
And you probably always rooted for the cowboys against those dang pesky redskins.
Tanlee
Banned From Forum
Banned From Forum
Posts: 1225
Joined: Mon Oct 11, 2010 10:45 pm

tony ingram wrote:Yeah.
...
You don't like lizards, do you?
And you probably always rooted for the cowboys against those dang pesky redskins.
Not my fault the awful script and writing failed to sell me on their 'sympathetic' status.
User avatar
Allons-y
 
 
Posts: 5945
Joined: Sun Feb 17, 2013 2:28 pm
Contact:

tony ingram wrote: And you probably always rooted for the cowboys against those dang pesky redskins.
:shock: Didn't everyone?
AMERICA IS AN ANVIL.

:4thDoctor: There's no point in being grown up, if you can't be childish sometimes!
User avatar
LizR
Irony Maiden
Irony Maiden
Posts: 20964
Joined: Wed Dec 02, 2009 9:01 am
Location: Auckland, New Zealand
Contact:

All I can say is that about 20 minutes after Smith appeared I found myself thinking "At last! Welcome back, Doctor, I've missed you."

He managed to be alien, enigmatic, old and young - everything the Doctor should be. I expected him to be bleah, seeing as how he was so young I rather had it in for him (I'd been hoping they'd up the age and head back towards a bit more "gravitas"...silly me).

But, like Joan Watson, I was swayed by the actual performance. Lucy Liu somehow managed to be more like a 19th century Doctor who had been through the Afghan War than Martin Freeman did, even though the latter was shown as having been in a war. Weird, but some people can nail a part, become a character, even with (in this case) a gender and time switch.

Tenant was an actor. A pretty good one, managing to do wonders with a lot of rubbish material.

Smith just was the Doctor.
User avatar
Tobias Vaughan
 
 
Posts: 1360
Joined: Thu May 23, 2013 9:26 am
Location: Newcastle upon Tyne
Contact:

iank wrote:Again, I simply cannot relate to or remotely comprehend most of your blatherings here. The Smith era began with a vague similarity to the McCoy era (perhaps just by virtue of having a not dissimilar Doctor (at least to start with) and a dollop more surreality than the RTD era, but very quickly ceased to have any relation to it at all. And what you're doing bringing DS9 - widely acknowledged as the best of the Treks by most critics, regardless of your strange view of it - is beyond me. It's really rather insulting to mention DS9 and Sylv's era in the same breath as the spectacular trainwreck that the Smith era turned into. By the end of the McCoy era, any wobbles from its first season (hardly surprising in themselves given how rushed the production team were) had disappeared entirely; the show got better with every season. Smith's era saw Moffat shoot his entire creative bolt on its first season and by its third, he was resorting to ripping off various Series 1 RTD episodes for inspiration, to considerably less effective results. There's simply no comparing the level of creativity and inspiration in these eras. As for your rather tired Sylv bashing, I'm afraid I can't buy the idea that Smith is in any way better than him either. In his first season? He was certainly on a par. But his tiresome overplaying and uber-quick caricaturization (not to mention increasing Tennant-isation) ended up making him uber-annoying as f*ck. Sylv only got better and better in the role (and he wasn't bad to start with). Smith went from the best of the New Doctors to someone who, like Tennant, I couldn't wait to see the back of.

Gimme a frickin' break.
:floorroll: :floorroll: :floorroll: :floorroll: :floorroll: :floorroll: :floorroll: :floorroll: :floorroll: :floorroll: :floorroll: :floorroll: and just for good measure... :floorroll: :floorroll: :floorroll: :floorroll:
I saw 'The Purge, Election Year' last night, I couldn't make out whether it was fiction or a party political broadcast on behalf of the Republican party...
User avatar
Tobias Vaughan
 
 
Posts: 1360
Joined: Thu May 23, 2013 9:26 am
Location: Newcastle upon Tyne
Contact:

LizR wrote:All I can say is that about 20 minutes after Smith appeared I found myself thinking "At last! Welcome back, Doctor, I've missed you."

He managed to be alien, enigmatic, old and young - everything the Doctor should be. I expected him to be bleah, seeing as how he was so young I rather had it in for him (I'd been hoping they'd up the age and head back towards a bit more "gravitas"...silly me).

But, like Joan Watson, I was swayed by the actual performance. Lucy Liu somehow managed to be more like a 19th century Doctor who had been through the Afghan War than Martin Freeman did, even though the latter was shown as having been in a war. Weird, but some people can nail a part, become a character, even with (in this case) a gender and time switch.

Tenant was an actor. A pretty good one, managing to do wonders with a lot of rubbish material.

Smith just was the Doctor.
wells said
I saw 'The Purge, Election Year' last night, I couldn't make out whether it was fiction or a party political broadcast on behalf of the Republican party...
User avatar
LizR
Irony Maiden
Irony Maiden
Posts: 20964
Joined: Wed Dec 02, 2009 9:01 am
Location: Auckland, New Zealand
Contact:

Tobias Vaughan wrote:
LizR wrote:All I can say is that about 20 minutes after Smith appeared I found myself thinking "At last! Welcome back, Doctor, I've missed you."

He managed to be alien, enigmatic, old and young - everything the Doctor should be. I expected him to be bleah, seeing as how he was so young I rather had it in for him (I'd been hoping they'd up the age and head back towards a bit more "gravitas"...silly me).

But, like Joan Watson, I was swayed by the actual performance. Lucy Liu somehow managed to be more like a 19th century Doctor who had been through the Afghan War than Martin Freeman did, even though the latter was shown as having been in a war. Weird, but some people can nail a part, become a character, even with (in this case) a gender and time switch.

Tenant was an actor. A pretty good one, managing to do wonders with a lot of rubbish material.

Smith just was the Doctor.
wells said
Thank you, either for agreeing with me or for bringing in the author of "The Time Machine" to back up my comments! :D
Tanlee
Banned From Forum
Banned From Forum
Posts: 1225
Joined: Mon Oct 11, 2010 10:45 pm

Well here is my made tribute to Matt Smith's Doctor.

Had a blast making this one.

User avatar
Tobias Vaughan
 
 
Posts: 1360
Joined: Thu May 23, 2013 9:26 am
Location: Newcastle upon Tyne
Contact:

LizR wrote:
Tobias Vaughan wrote:
LizR wrote:All I can say is that about 20 minutes after Smith appeared I found myself thinking "At last! Welcome back, Doctor, I've missed you."

He managed to be alien, enigmatic, old and young - everything the Doctor should be. I expected him to be bleah, seeing as how he was so young I rather had it in for him (I'd been hoping they'd up the age and head back towards a bit more "gravitas"...silly me).

But, like Joan Watson, I was swayed by the actual performance. Lucy Liu somehow managed to be more like a 19th century Doctor who had been through the Afghan War than Martin Freeman did, even though the latter was shown as having been in a war. Weird, but some people can nail a part, become a character, even with (in this case) a gender and time switch.

Tenant was an actor. A pretty good one, managing to do wonders with a lot of rubbish material.

Smith just was the Doctor.
wells said
Thank you, either for agreeing with me or for bringing in the author of "The Time Machine" to back up my comments! :D
oops! I was agreeing with you and not referencing Herbert George, unfortunately i was under 'Gordons' rather 'dry London' influence as I typed, anyway Matt Smith just the 'tonic' :lol:
I saw 'The Purge, Election Year' last night, I couldn't make out whether it was fiction or a party political broadcast on behalf of the Republican party...
Post Reply

Return to “The Smith Era”

  • Information
  • Who is online

    Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests