Favourite Matt Smith Stories

Bowtiesarecool
Former Team Member
Former Team Member

How long have you got? :lol:

All of series 5, most of Series 6, Dinosaurs on a Spaceship and The Time of The Doctor.v
The Doctor died with Capaldi. The Chibnall era is non-canon.

There are no Doctors before William Hartnell.

Without respect, we reject.

#NotmyDoctor
The Krynoid Man

Um... Um...
One morning I shot an elephant in my pajamas. How he got in my pajamas, I don't know.
The Krynoid Man

To be honest, I haven't seen most of them sine they were first on so I can't really remember which ones I like.
One morning I shot an elephant in my pajamas. How he got in my pajamas, I don't know.
The Nimon

11th Hour, Amy's Choice, Day of the Doctor, The Doctor's Wife and The Girl Who Waited would be my top 5
The Judge Judy of Planet Mondax
chap with wings

The only one I found any good was The God Complex
"It can become a kind of franchise where it's not a real character at all, but just an amalgam of elements that people think are Doctor Who: a scarf, a bow tie... I wanted to be the actual Doctor Who." - Peter Capaldi

Follow me on Twitter at: https://twitter.com/BlogFinish

My Big Finish Review Archive is here - http://blogfinishplanetmondas.blogspot.co.uk/
Tobias Vaughan

11th hour, imposs astronaut/day of the moon, and the 3 specials. when will capaldi reach these heights?
I saw 'The Purge, Election Year' last night, I couldn't make out whether it was fiction or a party political broadcast on behalf of the Republican party...
iank

11th Hour, Time of Angels, Amy's Choice, Vincent and the Doctor, series 5 finale, series 6 opener, Girl Who Waited. Smith, Darvill and especially Gillan often lifted the material too (cf Vampires of Venice, which is rather good fun with those three but would have been unimaginably awful with Tennant/Rose or Tennant/Donna), something Capaldi and (chuckle) Coleman have spectacularly failed to do.
(Doctor Who) has been hijacked and redefined as a lucrative modern franchise. They've literally taken a square peg and painfully made it fit a round hole by taking enormous liberties with much of its fundamental essence. There's no turning back now.

- ozymandias, The Leisure Hive 2010
LizR
Irony Maiden
Irony Maiden

I happily find myself able to agree with Mr K on something. :D

"The 11th hour" was a defining moment, showing us that the Doctor as originally envisaged - alien, mysterious, eccentric - was back. And it had some rather creepy bits, especially the door opening in time-lapse.

"Amy's choice" was wonderful (although I wish the ending had been different, that would have been a great recurring villain).

"The Doctor's wife" was great fun and shows that I, at least, don't care if a story tramples on established canon IF IT'S GOOD ENOUGH (take note, Mr Moffat).

"The girl who waited" was fantastic, leaving even RTD standing on the emotional impact front.

"Time of Angels/Flesh and stone" was pretty good, and would have hit it out of the park if Moffat had resisted his urge to mess with the stuff he'd established (and in a bad way, like turning Daleks into day-glo Teletubbies). But it had some great cliffhanger moments, one of them literally.

And there were quite a few other good 'uns, the standard was definitely higher than RTD's overall despite SM dragging it down with some cringeworthy moments (LKH etc). Honourable mentions to Vincent, Hide, God Complex, Day of the Moon/Impossible astronaut, Venice, and I even have a soft spot for Dinosaurs (despite a nastily morally ambiguous/out of character moment).
Morbius

The Doctor's Wife. Honourable mentions to Vincent and the Doctor and The Girl Who Waited.
The Krynoid Man

Okay so I've had a think, and I've come up with a few: 11th Hour, Vincent and the Doctor, The opening 2 parter from series 6 and Cold War
The Ginger Cat
Site Manager
Site Manager

"The Eleventh Hour", "Amy's choice", "The Doctor's Wife", and "The Girl Who Waited" are favourites. Seem to recall quite liking "The Rebel Flesh/The Almost People" though I haven't seen it since it was first broadcast, so gawd knows what I'd make of it if I saw it now.
Zarius
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

-Eleventh Hour
-Flesh and Stone/Time of Angels
-Vincent and The Doctor
-Amy's Choice
-The Pandorica Opens/The Big Bang
-The Doctor's Wife
-A Good Man Goes To War
-The Girl Who Waited
-A Town Called Mercy
-The Angels Take Manhattan
-The Snowmen
-The Bells of St. John
-Hide
-The Crimson Horror
-The Name of the Doctor
-The Time of the Doctor
LizR
Irony Maiden
Irony Maiden

The Ginger Cat wrote:Seem to recall quite liking "The Rebel Flesh/The Almost People" though I haven't seen it since it was first broadcast, so gawd knows what I'd make of it if I saw it now.
I think TRF/TAP were verging on being good, but spoiled by the inconsistency in how we were expected to both sympathise with the Gangers and at the same time see them as a threat. This could have been done in a way that worked - e.g.

a) Some Gangers are dangerous, others are friendly, OR
b) All Gangers are dangerous but pretending to be friendly, OR
c) All Gangers are friendly but misunderstood through prejudice etc

Any of those would have worked, with the audience reactions being something like...

a) worry about the motives of particular Gangers
b) Dawning realisation that things aren't as they seem
c) Sympathy for the Gangers and hope their true nature will be discovered

...but ...

d) the writer isn't sure whether to make them (a), (b) or (c) and so gives us all the above with no good reason for switching from one to another...

...doesn't work, at least not for me.
Bowtiesarecool
Former Team Member
Former Team Member

I find the Ganger episodes very difficult to get into.

I don't hate them or anything like that but it's very difficult for me to watch.

It doesn't really catch my attenton.
The Doctor died with Capaldi. The Chibnall era is non-canon.

There are no Doctors before William Hartnell.

Without respect, we reject.

#NotmyDoctor
Slint4

1. The Doctor's Wife - good
2. A Christmas Carol
3. Amy's Choice
4. Eleventh Hour
5. Vincent and the Doctor
6. Time of Angels
7. The Lodger

8. Cold War - quite good
9. Rebel Flesh
10.Angels take Manhattan

Of the Capaldi stories I would place Listen at number 8.

The best Steven Moffat stories were produced by RTD in my opinion.

I don't really get the Moffat era to be honest, though I think Amy and Rory were the best companions of Nu Who to date.
johnshoo

My favourite Smith era stories are:

Amy's Choice
Vincent and the Doctor
The Impossible Astronaut/Day of the Moon
The Doctor's Wife
The Rebel Flesh/The Almost People
The Girl Who Waited (one of my favourite episodes of the modern series)
The God Complex (rewatched it recently and it holds up better than I remembered)
Asylum of the Daleks
The Day of the Doctor
LizR
Irony Maiden
Irony Maiden

Bowtiesarecool wrote:I find the Ganger episodes very difficult to get into.

I don't hate them or anything like that but it's very difficult for me to watch.

The inconsistent tone is my problem. One minute they're poor misunderstood nice guys, the next they're evil monsters. And not in a good way, like we're being led up the garden path, or even that some of them are nice and some nasty. Even their status as conscious beings - or not - was confused, for the most part. I wouldn't mind if the writer had known what he was aiming for, but he clearly didn't. Another potentially good idea given the newWho treatment I'm afraid.
Allons-y

LizR wrote:

The inconsistent tone is my problem. One minute they're poor misunderstood nice guys, the next they're evil monsters. And not in a good way, like we're being led up the garden path, or even that some of them are nice and some nasty. Even their status as conscious beings - or not - was confused, for the most part. I wouldn't mind if the writer had known what he was aiming for, but he clearly didn't. Another potentially good idea given the newWho treatment I'm afraid.
Wasn't the idea, that they were the same as people, some were good, some were bad, but on the whole they were just fighting for recognition? All seemed pretty logical to me.
AMERICA IS AN ANVIL.

:4thDoctor: There's no point in being grown up, if you can't be childish sometimes!
LizR
Irony Maiden
Irony Maiden

Allons-y wrote:
LizR wrote:

Wasn't the idea, that they were the same as people, some were good, some were bad, but on the whole they were just fighting for recognition? All seemed pretty logical to me.
No, I wouldn't have minded if it had been like that. To take one example of the inconsistency of tone, we're expected to sympathise with the Gangers for how they've been treated by the humans earlier, but since they only gained sentience from the lightning strike solar storm this doesn't make sense, because when they were "badly treated" they weren't conscious of the fact.

But that's just one thing. There were a lot of swings between "pity us, inside we're really just like you!" to "yeah we're monsters, but it's your fault!" for no apparent reason (that I could see) other that the requirements of the plot. After two centuries you expect the Frankenstein story to have been improved upon, or at least given a new twist.
Slint4

LizR wrote:
Allons-y wrote:
LizR wrote:

No, I wouldn't have minded if it had been like that. To take one example of the inconsistency of tone, we're expected to sympathise with the Gangers for how they've been treated by the humans earlier, but since they only gained sentience from the lightning strike solar storm this doesn't make sense, because when they were "badly treated" they weren't conscious of the fact.

But that's just one thing. There were a lot of swings between "pity us, inside we're really just like you!" to "yeah we're monsters, but it's your fault!" for no apparent reason (that I could see) other that the requirements of the plot. After two centuries you expect the Frankenstein story to have been improved upon, or at least given a new twist.
The Doctor spends the story trying to bring the Gangers and Humans together, but at the end the Doctor executes the Ganger Amy without a qualm.

Return to “The Smith Era”

• Information