YOU AND THE SMITH DOCTOR: How Do You Rate Him?

In my opinion, Smith has earned himself a resounding......

50%
10%
30%
No votes
No votes
No votes
No votes
10%
No votes
No votes
No votes

Total votes: 10
Cygnus Prime
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

How Do You Rate Him?

If you had been showrunner, would you have chosen him yourself for the role of the Doctor?

Would you have chosen the same companions for him?

Was he as good in the role as you might have hoped?

What went right? (If anything.)

And what went wrong?
:?

[youtube2]Zog-6SrGxE0[/youtube2]

Bowtiesarecool
Former Team Member
Former Team Member

He's up there with the best. A great Doctor and so fun to watch with all of his antics.

I still miss him. His era was a golden age for me.
The Doctor died with Capaldi. The Chibnall era is non-canon.

There are no Doctors before William Hartnell.

Without respect, we reject.

#NotmyDoctor
Cygnus Prime
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

To be honest, when he was revealed I was appalled. He looked far, far too young I thought and they just seemed to have blindly cast some young man and frankly lost their collective minds!

The interview gave nothing away. Who was this strange, angular looking chap with long hair jabbering away in the interview?

I despaired and thought that New Who had surely doomed itself.

Then came the first picture of him on location wearing a tweed jacket. Even then I gave no ground. They could dress him up to look like the Doctor all they liked, but that meant nothing if the young man inside the jacket was clueless in the role.

I saw the regeneration - GERONIMOOOO! - and can't say I was impressed.

Then I watched bits of his debut episode and was somewhat nonplussed. I was still none the wiser.

As his era went on - and I was only watching bits and bobs of it here and there as I went on, I couldn't get a handle on him really. Was he good? I wasn't sure.

Only now, looking back, can I see that he was, imo, the absolutely most consistent and spot on New Who Doctor. I think his interpretation was almost painfully right - and he somehow breezed through the worst of the scripts as if they were brilliant - which they weren't. But his characterisation never fluttered I think.

I think the world of Capaldi as an actor and potential Doctor, but he seemed crippled in a way that I don't think Matt Smith was.

Capaldi is still my favourite New Who Doctor, but I have to concede that Matt was the most consistently right interpretation of the Character imo.

Also love the fact that he loved TOMB OF THE CYBERMEN when he watched it for research. Yes, he actually researched the role. (Are you listening Jodie? No, of course you're not. Sigh. :( )

A very, very good Doctor indeed, being brilliant in a very bad manifestation of DOCTOR WHO, imo. Worthy of a 10. :)
paulhickling
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Nailed it from the start. Best example of new series and classic Doctor combined. My only regret is that they gave him a frock coat which made his look so generic, whereas the tweed short jacket was purely his own look.

His performance though is spot on.

Return to “The Smith Era”

• Information