5%
6%
2%
3%

Total votes: 398
Mike Nuttall
Site Owner
Site Owner

Rate today's Christmas Special, A Christmas Carol.
The best chance for achieving peace and prosperity, for the maximum number of people worldwide, is to pursue the cause of liberty.

If you find this to be a worthwhile message, spread it throughout the land.
Kajaboy

9 from me.

A very well put together script with some great acting. One point knocked off because as we all know from Mawdryn Undead, if the same person from 2 different times touches themself the universe should implode or some such, but other than that it was great. I even cried.
My next door neighbour mixed up her KY jelly with the superglue. I asked her how she managed that but her lips are sealed.
Drathro

I loved it! As a Christmas special Doctor Who story it was near perfect.

9/10 :D
robbo13

Needs a rewatch from me. Kept nodding off :oops:
The Nimon

10 / 10, the best xmas episode ever.. well apart from 'The Feast of Steven'
The Judge Judy of Planet Mondax
chesterfield

When is Steven Moffat going to wake up to the fact that this fairytale approach just isn't suited to Doctor Who. Using that word to describe the show's tone seems to be an excuse for producing sixty minutes of sentimental cobblers full of way out ideas without having to explain anything. The orchestra was at full throttle from start to finish dictating how I should be feeling and the ending was the usual load of pseudo sci-fi claptrap and overblown emotional nonsense.
paradox

robbo13 wrote:Needs a rewatch from me. Kept nodding off :oops:
I was nodding off too. It needs a rewatch when I'm sober! :lol:
Ian Levine: "Sorry Travis, it's not just me. You clearly haven't been reading the thousands of posts on Planet Mondas forum lately, uncensored by bullies, unlike Gallifrey Base."
binro the heretic

This story scrapes in at merely average. There were lots of flashes and bangs to distract from the lack of substance but it felt tickbox to me. It's depressing to see the programme dumbed down to such an extent, it's all pixie dust and nothing getting explained in a credible manner. RTD's lows were low but this makes Voyage of the Damned look like Talons of Weng Chiang. The script rambled on for far too long without anything exciting happening by the half way point I was just bored. Steven Moffat is a good writer but in my opinion his stock has plummeted since he took over as head writer, he doesn't seem to know what to do with the series apart from make it as barking mad as possible. Disappointing.
The Nimon

I didn't really have any problems following the story or understand what was going on. For me it was the best xmas episdoe yet, no stupid sipider monsters that don't do anything or silly big robot Cybermen transformers walking over cities. The story between Kasslar and Abigale was brilliant and had some nice feeling to it, and not too over done either. There was some great comedy in there too, just what you need to bring a smile to your face on xmas day.

The overnights are out:

Unofficial overnight figures show A Christmas Carol was watched by an audience of 10.3 million on BBC One and BBC One HD last night.
abominable snowman

I don't really know what to make of it. I liked parts of it but other parts made me cringe a bit. Michael Gambon and Matt Smith were both excellant but the story was a bit fluffy even for Christmas.
LizR
Irony Maiden
Irony Maiden

I thought this was better, story-construction-wise, than any of RTD's Xmas specials. It almost hung together, if (unlike me) you don't always ask, 5 minutes in, why the Doctor can't land the TARDIS on the crashing space ship and tell the 4003 passengers to form an orderly queue. But OTOH, and this is an awful confession for me to have to make, I think RTD might have handled the emotional side better. The "conversion" of Kazran Scrooge to kindly old duffer didn't convince me at all. I was also left wondering whether the other 1000 people he had frozen in his cellar ever got let out....which I shouldn't have been, even if it wasn't shown, I should have known.

But, well, I must say I thought it looked very nice! And it was atmospheric, and, the odd flying shark aside, refreshingly free of monsters, just this once (that nice Mr Gambon excepted). But there wasn't any depth to the society, no filling in of how everything worked (which can be done with a few words, of course, or implied by attitudes). Without knowing the social background, if only by implication, it was impossible to really judge Kazran's actions. (The original, of course, had all of Victorian society in the background, and so made sense is this respect. Given that Moffat had the whole trope established by Dickens to draw on, I feel he cound have given more of a feeling for why K was as he was, or why his father was as he was - I mean he wasn't a psychopath, or he couldn't have been converted, or cared about Abigail.)

Apart from that, it seems Moffat can't stop messing around with time travel to a far too great extent, and essentially using it to solve everything. Timey-wimey is the new DNA...
tony ingram

Definitely the best Christmas special so far (which would probably sound better if the previous ones hadn't been pretty much uniformly crap, but still). Genuinely Christmassy without being tiresomely sentimental, and I love the way Moffat is making a point of actually using the possibilities of time travel in what is after all supposed to be a programme about a time traveller!
chap with wings

Biggest pile of loathsome tripe I have ever seen broadcast under the name Doctor Who.
It undermines the whole concept of the show, it begs the question why didn't the Doctor just go back into Davros past and make him nice, you could apply that to any villian in the show.
Just awful on so many levels, the only saving grace was that it ended.
"It can become a kind of franchise where it's not a real character at all, but just an amalgam of elements that people think are Doctor Who: a scarf, a bow tie... I wanted to be the actual Doctor Who." - Peter Capaldi

Follow me on Twitter at: https://twitter.com/BlogFinish

My Big Finish Review Archive is here - http://blogfinishplanetmondas.blogspot.co.uk/
Shaving Foamasi

chap with wings wrote:Biggest pile of loathsome tripe I have ever seen broadcast under the name Doctor Who.
It undermines the whole concept of the show, it begs the question why didn't the Doctor just go back into Davros past and make him nice, you could apply that to any villian in the show.
You obviously missed the whole point Ed - did you not see the scene at the beginning where the Doctor learned that Gambon's character was not really evil (where he refused to hit the boy) so could be saved from becoming the loathsome monster in the first place?

Quite how you can claim this as the biggest pile of loathsome tripe I have ever seen broadcast under the name Doctor Who while claiming that every piece of RTD's writing is magical just beggars belief....

10/10 - best Christmas special since the show came back by a country mile...
You mean you believed the Doctor would never regenerate into a woman?
THE DALEK SUPREME

Shaving Foamasi wrote:
chap with wings wrote:Biggest pile of loathsome tripe I have ever seen broadcast under the name Doctor Who.
You obviously missed the whole point Ed - did you not see the scene at the beginning where the Doctor learned that Gambon's character was not really evil (where he refused to hit the boy) so could be saved from becoming the loathsome monster in the first place?

Quite how you can claim this as the biggest pile of loathsome tripe I have ever seen broadcast under the name Doctor Who while claiming that every piece of RTD's writing is magical just beggars belief....

I don't believe in the concept of evil anyway but even if you do you're not suggesting that people are born evil, are you? Steven Moffat's get out of jail free card of timey wimey-ness is wearing a bit thin now, he overused it in TBB and again now. If the Doctor can just go back in time and help people grow up to be good people then why doesn't he go back and stop Davros going bad or even creating the Daleks in the first place? I understand why he played around with timelines for this story because this was Doctor Who does A Christmas Carol but he needs to stop using it as a device to write his characters out of difficult situations, as a device it's no more imaginative than the Doctor using the sonic to open doors or repair barbed wire fences.
xylok b

10/10 beautiful , Michael and Matt were epic, the best Christmas special ever !!

There's just one thing though, the explanation as to how the fish could fly and breathe ice crystals kind of slipped by me ? :Tardis:
Dave Ross

xylok b wrote: There's just one thing though, the explanation as to how the fish could fly and breathe ice crystals kind of slipped by me ?
There was something about the fog being made up of ice crystals carrying an electrical charge which the alien sharks used as "water". I thought last night's episode was one of the better Xmas stories even with it's flaws.
Today, the Kaled race is ended, consumed in a fire of war, but, from it's ashes will rise a new race. The supreme creature. The ultimate conqueror of the universe - the Dalek!
Shaving Foamasi

THE DALEK SUPREME wrote:
Shaving Foamasi wrote:

I don't believe in the concept of evil anyway but even if you do you're not suggesting that people are born evil, are you? Steven Moffat's get out of jail free card of timey wimey-ness is wearing a bit thin now, he overused it in TBB and again now. If the Doctor can just go back in time and help people grow up to be good people then why doesn't he go back and stop Davros going bad or even creating the Daleks in the first place? I understand why he played around with timelines for this story because this was Doctor Who does A Christmas Carol but he needs to stop using it as a device to write his characters out of difficult situations, as a device it's no more imaginative than the Doctor using the sonic to open doors or repair barbed wire fences.
Nope, I'm just pointing out that the Doctor saw a point where he could intervene to enable Gambon's character to change the present after he had failed to convince his present self that saving the people on the spaceship was a good thing to do but noticed that he obviously wasn't always so callous. I believe the 4th Doctor also tried to convince Davros that he could change the future and make the Daleks less aggressive creatures but failed. The Davros argument is a silly one to pick as that is exactly what the Time Lords tried to do in Genesis of the Daleks by sending the Doctor to Skaro at that time.

In this instance, the Doctor wasn't trying to change the events of something that had already happened - he was changing past events to try and prevent something bad from happening. IMHO, it was all abit more imaginative than the dross we've had to put up with on Christmas Day from RTD's magic pen...
You mean you believed the Doctor would never regenerate into a woman?
The Nimon

LizR wrote:I thought this was better, story-construction-wise, than any of RTD's Xmas specials. It almost hung together, if (unlike me) you don't always ask, 5 minutes in, why the Doctor can't land the TARDIS on the crashing space ship and tell the 4003 passengers to form an orderly queue
It was explained that the Tardis couldn't get a lock on the ship to land on it :Tardis:

Return to “SERIES 5”

• Information