Rate A Christmas Carol

Rate A Christmas Carol

10
92
23%
9
64
16%
8
70
18%
7
48
12%
6
40
10%
5
24
6%
4
19
5%
3
22
6%
2
8
2%
1
11
3%
 
Total votes: 398
User avatar
LizR
Irony Maiden
Irony Maiden
Posts: 20969
Joined: Wed Dec 02, 2009 9:01 am
Location: Auckland, New Zealand
Contact:

The Nimon wrote:I don't agree with you saying that people who started to watch later try to promote thier era as the best. I started watching in the 80s, Logopolis onwards, but i don't really count any any era as the best. I like each diffrent era for its own merrits. I have more of a fondness for the 80s stuff i watched as a kid but i also like stuff from both the 60s and 70s the same, for example season 17 is my favorite season.
I'm not sure that people can help but do this. It isn't necessarily a conscious thing. I try to be impartial and only comment on reasonably definable things, e.g. whether the writing and direction and acting are good/consistent/etc. But I admit that the show first captured my imagination when I saw it in the 60s and 70s; I can't help that...the fact that those eras also appear to be its golden age is of course sheer coincidence... :lol:
User avatar
Kajaboy
 
 
Posts: 4823
Joined: Fri Dec 04, 2009 1:11 am
Contact:

The Nimon wrote:Yes i guess that the 'more adult feel' is in part my opinion but if you look at the Hintchcliff stuff the level of violence in his stoires feels far stronger than what was in the show before and this is what i base my 'more adult opinion on. I know Barry Letts made a comment on this on one of the dvds. I wouldn't really say that the 60s stuff is just as adult as the mid 70s stuff though, infact only one example springs to mind that could come close and that's the bit in Keys Of marinus when the bloke in the frozen wasteland tries to force himself onto Barbara
Cavemen having their heads bashed in with rocks, a woman being raped by vikings and a poster forbidding the dumping of dead bodies in a river. Far more adult than anything that came in the 70's. In my oppinion you understand. ;)
My next door neighbour mixed up her KY jelly with the superglue. I asked her how she managed that but her lips are sealed.
User avatar
The Nimon
Senior Member
Senior Member
Posts: 8236
Joined: Fri Dec 04, 2009 9:24 am
Contact:

Kajaboy wrote:
The Nimon wrote:Yes i guess that the 'more adult feel' is in part my opinion but if you look at the Hintchcliff stuff the level of violence in his stoires feels far stronger than what was in the show before and this is what i base my 'more adult opinion on. I know Barry Letts made a comment on this on one of the dvds. I wouldn't really say that the 60s stuff is just as adult as the mid 70s stuff though, infact only one example springs to mind that could come close and that's the bit in Keys Of marinus when the bloke in the frozen wasteland tries to force himself onto Barbara
Cavemen having their heads bashed in with rocks, a woman being raped by vikings and a poster forbidding the dumping of dead bodies in a river. Far more adult than anything that came in the 70's. In my oppinion you understand. ;)
Yes but thankfully she recovered from that really quickly, too quickly really. How about for the 70s, The Doctor Getting shot, The Doctor almost getting drowned, The Doctor Trying to burn someone to death, the Doctor blowing Poinsion darts, All from the Deadly Assasin and all slightly more edgy than the 60s stuff, but also that is in my opion. I could go on and metion the kidnapping and murder of Prostitutes in Weng Chi-ang too, I very much doubt that that would have been shown in Doctor Who in the 60s
The Judge Judy of Planet Mondax
User avatar
Kajaboy
 
 
Posts: 4823
Joined: Fri Dec 04, 2009 1:11 am
Contact:

The Nimon wrote:Yes but thankfully she recovered from that really quickly, too quickly really. How about for the 70s, The Doctor Getting shot, The Doctor almost getting drowned, The Doctor Trying to burn someone to death, the Doctor blowing Poinsion darts, All from the Deadly Assasin and all slightly more edgy than the 60s stuff, but also that is in my opion. I could go on and metion the kidnapping and murder of Prostitutes in Weng Chi-ang too, I very much doubt that that would have been shown in Doctor Who in the 60s
But that's more adult as in "Rated 18". It's all seen in graphic detail.

Now I think about it, the most adult things the series did were Marco Polo and The Massacre of St Bartholomew's Eve.
Again just my opinion. By the 1970's these kinds of stories really were left to the adults.
My next door neighbour mixed up her KY jelly with the superglue. I asked her how she managed that but her lips are sealed.
User avatar
The Nimon
Senior Member
Senior Member
Posts: 8236
Joined: Fri Dec 04, 2009 9:24 am
Contact:

Kajaboy wrote:
The Nimon wrote:Yes but thankfully she recovered from that really quickly, too quickly really. How about for the 70s, The Doctor Getting shot, The Doctor almost getting drowned, The Doctor Trying to burn someone to death, the Doctor blowing Poinsion darts, All from the Deadly Assasin and all slightly more edgy than the 60s stuff, but also that is in my opion. I could go on and metion the kidnapping and murder of Prostitutes in Weng Chi-ang too, I very much doubt that that would have been shown in Doctor Who in the 60s
But that's more adult as in "Rated 18". It's all seen in graphic detail.

Now I think about it, the most adult things the series did were Marco Polo and The Massacre of St Bartholomew's Eve.
Again just my opinion. By the 1970's these kinds of stories really were left to the adults.
I see ones such as Ambassadors of Death and Ark in Space as being more adult than the 60s stuff personlly, i guess in the end it's just down to taste and opinion. Caves on Androzani is pretty adult in places too
The Judge Judy of Planet Mondax
User avatar
Kamelion
 
 
Posts: 1805
Joined: Thu Apr 29, 2010 2:16 pm
Location: Elephant & Castle LONDON
Contact:

'Androzani' deffinately has a more adult content than...say, 'The Twin Dilemma' from the same season. Gun runners, drug addiction, machine gun executions.... yet all this only served to enhnce the story for the better and I, as a 7 year old watching it, loved every minute of it!!!
Its true that almost everyone favours the era that they began watching the show, mine being the same as The Nimon, from Season19 onwards. I have a few fan friends that were devoted, die hard Tom Baker fans, now. since 2005, they maintain its the New series all the way and that the old stuff is crap!!!
The show has always tried to go as far as it can regarding violence and adult themed stories - thats why old bags like Mary Whitehouse earned a nice few quid - the only tme it ddn't apply was the pantomime style Season 24; but then again there was that Rezzie attack.......
"..and who knows when it will end..."
User avatar
abominable snowman
 
 
Posts: 801
Joined: Mon Feb 08, 2010 6:38 pm
Location: Blackpool
Contact:

Eevn the guy who does Blogor Who didn't like A Christmas Carol :shock:
User avatar
LizR
Irony Maiden
Irony Maiden
Posts: 20969
Joined: Wed Dec 02, 2009 9:01 am
Location: Auckland, New Zealand
Contact:

abominable snowman wrote:Eevn the guy who does Blogor Who didn't like A Christmas Carol :shock:
Well, certain aspects of it. Or any other Xmas specials, apparently, apart from TEOT Part 1 (what?!?)

http://blogtorwho.blogspot.com/
User avatar
binro the heretic
 
 
Posts: 93
Joined: Thu Jun 24, 2010 8:00 pm
Contact:

The End of Time Pt One? :shock:

I thought A Christmas Carol was okay the first time I watched it but it's grown on me. I think it's the best Xmas spesh equal with Runaway Bride. Shame Katherine Jenkins died at the end, not very Christmassy.
User avatar
LizR
Irony Maiden
Irony Maiden
Posts: 20969
Joined: Wed Dec 02, 2009 9:01 am
Location: Auckland, New Zealand
Contact:

binro the heretic wrote:The End of Time Pt One? :shock:
His review of TEOT Part 1 is here:
http://blogtorwho.blogspot.com/2009/12/advert.html

It contains the comment "This is a show about an alien who can change his appearance and travel in time and space in a wooden Police Box (that's bigger on the inside, by the way). If you can accept those, frankly, ridiculous traits, then you should be able to accept everything - don't pick and choose what you like just because something 'new' happens.". In other words, he's saying, because the show has a fantastic premise it should be allowed to do anything. (I happen to disagree, for various reasons...)

Here's his views on ACC:
http://blogtorwho.blogspot.com/2011/01/ ... l-dvd.html
User avatar
The Nimon
Senior Member
Senior Member
Posts: 8236
Joined: Fri Dec 04, 2009 9:24 am
Contact:

binro the heretic wrote:The End of Time Pt One? :shock:

I thought A Christmas Carol was okay the first time I watched it but it's grown on me. I think it's the best Xmas spesh equal with Runaway Bride. Shame Katherine Jenkins died at the end, not very Christmassy.
Its not like we saw her die horribly and in pain LOL :lol:
The Judge Judy of Planet Mondax
User avatar
LizR
Irony Maiden
Irony Maiden
Posts: 20969
Joined: Wed Dec 02, 2009 9:01 am
Location: Auckland, New Zealand
Contact:

The Nimon wrote:Its not like we saw her die horribly and in pain LOL :lol:
Sigh. Whatever happened to the spirit of Christmas? I thought it was all about King Herod killing all the firstborn children, and stuff like that. :twisted:
User avatar
Grugger
 
 
Posts: 133
Joined: Sun Feb 28, 2010 11:22 pm
Contact:

I loved it. It was easily the best Xmas special and I liked the bittersweet ending, it wasn't too smaltzy. I give it a ten out of ten. :11th Doctor:
User avatar
LizR
Irony Maiden
Irony Maiden
Posts: 20969
Joined: Wed Dec 02, 2009 9:01 am
Location: Auckland, New Zealand
Contact:

Grugger wrote:I loved it. It was easily the best Xmas special and I liked the bittersweet ending, it wasn't too smaltzy. I give it a ten out of ten. :11th Doctor:
"Easily the best" isn't too hard, though. It was a bit of a curate's egg IMHO (like a lot of Who...)
User avatar
markhuk
Senior Member
Senior Member
Posts: 1089
Joined: Sun Oct 25, 2009 9:21 pm
Contact:

watched it on blu ray last night and really got to appreciate the quite stunning visuals - it really was a beautifully produced programme by far the best lookng episode ive seen.
Story wise it has grown on me and repeated viewings have onlt improved this, some fantastic lines coupled with brilliant performances make it one of the better nu Whos.
User avatar
'teleportNOW!'
 
 
Posts: 5986
Joined: Wed Dec 02, 2009 12:49 pm
Location: UK
Contact:

well with only 9 weeks left to Season 33, here at Feline HQ we've embarked on a 15 episode scramble through the Season 32 blu-ray, to try and figure out what the HELL the last load of episodes were all about!

So, the 2010 Xmas Special -
it really does look visually superb on BluRay, would put many feature films to shame.
Can't really fault the basic story, as it was written by Charles Dickens.
Plenty of witty stuff for Matt Smith to say in the script, and Michael Gamon gives a fine performance.
Main quibbles I had were old and new Kazran's not 'shorting out the time differential' when they met (tut tut) and the frozen lady's singing being so obviously dubbed on in post-production rather than it really being her singing in the studio.
All in all, it's not exactly Inferno ;) but as a Christmas Special it was very well done.
User avatar
iank
 
 
Posts: 6211
Joined: Sat Apr 06, 2013 1:40 am
Contact:

A terrible, boring mess of schmaltz and nonsense, and the first real warning sign that maybe Moffat wasn't going to turn this NuHu thing around after all. Also the point where they begin their inexplicable quest to turn Smith from the subtlest, best modern Doctor into a punchable prat on the same annoyance level as his predecessor. Why, Mofftwat, why? :D
(Doctor Who) has been hijacked and redefined as a lucrative modern franchise. They've literally taken a square peg and painfully made it fit a round hole by taking enormous liberties with much of its fundamental essence. There's no turning back now.

- ozymandias, The Leisure Hive 2010
User avatar
Cygnus Prime
Senior Moderator
Senior Moderator
Posts: 8694
Joined: Tue Aug 04, 2015 11:12 pm
Contact:

Image

Image

Mike Nuttall wrote:Rate today's Christmas Special, A Christmas Carol.


A space liner, with a large number of passengers aboard, is in difficulties while flying through the atmosphere of an unknown planet. Amy and Rory have been spending some time on board in the honeymoon suite and they quickly appear on deck. Amy calls the doctor for help and the TARDIS soon appears ahead of the ship. However the Doctor cannot save them and the only other option is to land on the planet below. There the Doctor meets a Scrooge like figure by the name of Kazran Sardick, the only person that can save Amy, Rory and all the other lives on the Spacecraft.






.
User avatar
Cygnus Prime
Senior Moderator
Senior Moderator
Posts: 8694
Joined: Tue Aug 04, 2015 11:12 pm
Contact:

That song....



.
Post Reply

Return to “SERIES 5”

  • Information
  • Who is online

    Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests