Rate A Christmas Carol

Rate A Christmas Carol

10
92
23%
9
64
16%
8
70
18%
7
48
12%
6
40
10%
5
24
6%
4
19
5%
3
22
6%
2
8
2%
1
11
3%
 
Total votes: 398
User avatar
Mike Nuttall
Site Owner
Site Owner
Posts: 7478
Joined: Tue Jun 16, 2009 8:52 am
Location: Manchester
Contact:

I feel the same way about A Christmas Carol as I do about most of the last series... I can't say it was badly written, badly acted, badly directed or badly produced, it just wasn't my cup of tea.

Over the years different producers have come to the programme with their own vision of what Doctor Who should be; the style and tone of the programme has changed accordingly and that's how it should be, it's the reason the series has remained fresh and lasted so long. It's also the reason that most fans have an era, or eras, or a particular Doctor, that they especially like. That doesn't mean there's anything wrong with the others, people just have different tastes, that's all.

This particular era of the programme isn't going to be one of my favourites. As I've already said there's nothing wrong with it, for whatever reason it simply doesn't appeal to me. The good news is that, as always, the programme will change and I'll probably enter a brand new phase of being as enthusiastic as a ten year old about it again, such is the joy of being a fan.
The best chance for achieving peace and prosperity, for the maximum number of people worldwide, is to pursue the cause of liberty.

If you find this to be a worthwhile message, spread it throughout the land.
User avatar
tony ingram
 
 
Posts: 2893
Joined: Tue Feb 09, 2010 7:03 pm
Contact:

aggedor wrote:I still can't believe it had a big star like Michael Gambon in it and they put Arthur Darville's name in the titles :lol:
You're going to look remarkably silly in 2015 when Arthur is announced as the new James Bond... :mrgreen:
User avatar
abominable snowman
 
 
Posts: 801
Joined: Mon Feb 08, 2010 6:38 pm
Location: Blackpool
Contact:

Nice to see all the Christmas Specials beig shown on BBC One this week. It would be nice to see some classic series stories!
User avatar
tony ingram
 
 
Posts: 2893
Joined: Tue Feb 09, 2010 7:03 pm
Contact:

abominable snowman wrote:Nice to see all the Christmas Specials beig shown on BBC One this week. It would be nice to see some classic series stories!
They haven't shown all the Christmas specials-they've ommitted the best of the lot, and indeed the only one prior to this years which is worth watching, namely the 1981 Christmas special! Where is K9 & Company? :x
User avatar
image45
Former Team Member
Former Team Member
Posts: 1037
Joined: Tue Jun 16, 2009 12:07 am
Location: Yorkshire
Contact:

markhuk wrote:Best Christmas episode ,
Proper christmassy feel to it and unlike other"specials" was happy to acknowledge and even admit to where its ideas were borrowed.
Good effects,great acting and beautifully filmed.
I'm not trying to suggest it was perfect but its the closest we have had to a true Christmas story since the shows return and managed to still feel like a Doctor Who story - congratulations should go out to all involved.
Yes I agree too, been too ill to type much of a workable post however everyone else seems to have done a fine job in my absence thankfully.

It did seem to lack the pace of other episodes we have seen from the current production team, however it’s a Christmas day episodes so!
O-Ren Ishii: You didn't think it was gonna be that easy, did you?
The Bride: You know, for a second there, yeah, I kinda did.
O-Ren Ishii: Silly rabbit.
User avatar
The Nimon
Senior Member
Senior Member
Posts: 8236
Joined: Fri Dec 04, 2009 9:24 am
Contact:

tony ingram wrote:
abominable snowman wrote:Nice to see all the Christmas Specials beig shown on BBC One this week. It would be nice to see some classic series stories!
They haven't shown all the Christmas specials-they've ommitted the best of the lot, and indeed the only one prior to this years which is worth watching, namely the 1981 Christmas special! Where is K9 & Company? :x
Do do do Dee-do, do do do dee-do dee-do :K-9: dum dum de-dum dum dum :K-9:
The Judge Judy of Planet Mondax
User avatar
abominable snowman
 
 
Posts: 801
Joined: Mon Feb 08, 2010 6:38 pm
Location: Blackpool
Contact:

I didn't mind the crossing timelines stuff too much in this story because that's what A Christmas Carol is about but in general it's wearing a bit thin. If the Doctor can travel back in time to alter events to ensure he gets the outcome he wants that removes any threat from the story. I didn't mind it too much this time but I'd like to see less of it from now on.
User avatar
Mike Nuttall
Site Owner
Site Owner
Posts: 7478
Joined: Tue Jun 16, 2009 8:52 am
Location: Manchester
Contact:

Christopher H Bidmead:
I should add that having the Doctor go back in time to do a fix that solves the problem by not allowing it to arise is a favourite storyline idea that we've had to outlaw. If recursive solutions are allowable our audience will ask why the Doctor doesn't always do this, and there will never be any adventure.
I think I'd have to agree with him.
The best chance for achieving peace and prosperity, for the maximum number of people worldwide, is to pursue the cause of liberty.

If you find this to be a worthwhile message, spread it throughout the land.
robbo13

Thats the problem though when you try & cram an entire story into one hour or 45 minuntes, an easy option to speed things along.
User avatar
chesterfield
 
 
Posts: 1194
Joined: Tue Feb 09, 2010 5:53 am
Contact:

abominable snowman wrote:I didn't mind the crossing timelines stuff too much in this story because that's what A Christmas Carol is about but in general it's wearing a bit thin. If the Doctor can travel back in time to alter events to ensure he gets the outcome he wants that removes any threat from the story. I didn't mind it too much this time but I'd like to see less of it from now on.
I don't mind the writers using the sonic screwdriver to open a door or escape from a cell but it makes me wonder why they'd write a door or a cell into the script in the first place? If the Doctor needs to open a locked door or escape from a cell I'd prefer he did it in a more interesting way than just waving a magic wand. This travelling back in time to fix things is a much worse idea because it removes all the dramatic tension from the story especially when it's done in such a tongue in cheek way, reminds me too much of Curse of Fatal Death. All this might work for me it I cared about any of Moffat's characters but I find most of them rather one-note.
chap with wings
Senior Member
Senior Member
Posts: 3651
Joined: Fri Oct 30, 2009 12:51 am
Location: Colwyn Bay, North Wales
Contact:

Mike Nuttall wrote:Christopher H Bidmead:
I should add that having the Doctor go back in time to do a fix that solves the problem by not allowing it to arise is a favourite storyline idea that we've had to outlaw. If recursive solutions are allowable our audience will ask why the Doctor doesn't always do this, and there will never be any adventure.
I think I'd have to agree with him.
Me too (canrt believe I am agreeing with Bidmead! :D )
"It can become a kind of franchise where it's not a real character at all, but just an amalgam of elements that people think are Doctor Who: a scarf, a bow tie... I wanted to be the actual Doctor Who." - Peter Capaldi

Follow me on Twitter at: https://twitter.com/BlogFinish

My Big Finish Review Archive is here - http://blogfinishplanetmondas.blogspot.co.uk/
Deleted User 3183

Me too. Even with the Time Lords gone, Blinovitch should still rule.

Oh, and having met CHB last year, he's actually a decent bloke!
User avatar
Mike Nuttall
Site Owner
Site Owner
Posts: 7478
Joined: Tue Jun 16, 2009 8:52 am
Location: Manchester
Contact:

chap with wings wrote:
Mike Nuttall wrote:Christopher H Bidmead:
I should add that having the Doctor go back in time to do a fix that solves the problem by not allowing it to arise is a favourite storyline idea that we've had to outlaw. If recursive solutions are allowable our audience will ask why the Doctor doesn't always do this, and there will never be any adventure.
I think I'd have to agree with him.
Me too (canrt believe I am agreeing with Bidmead! :D )
Yes, me neither :lol:
The best chance for achieving peace and prosperity, for the maximum number of people worldwide, is to pursue the cause of liberty.

If you find this to be a worthwhile message, spread it throughout the land.
User avatar
The Nimon
Senior Member
Senior Member
Posts: 8236
Joined: Fri Dec 04, 2009 9:24 am
Contact:

abominable snowman wrote:I didn't mind the crossing timelines stuff too much in this story because that's what A Christmas Carol is about but in general it's wearing a bit thin. If the Doctor can travel back in time to alter events to ensure he gets the outcome he wants that removes any threat from the story. I didn't mind it too much this time but I'd like to see less of it from now on.
A very true comment. When you look at the story of A christmas Carol its about showing a man his past, present and future to change him so it can be used perfectly well in this case. I also agree that we need to see less of it now. Lets not forget that this is part of what ruined the TV movies script
The Judge Judy of Planet Mondax
User avatar
LizR
Irony Maiden
Irony Maiden
Posts: 20964
Joined: Wed Dec 02, 2009 9:01 am
Location: Auckland, New Zealand
Contact:

The Co=Ordinator wrote:Me too. Even with the Time Lords gone, Blinovitch should still rule.
No, I disagree, and I'm going to use my powers as an Mod to go back over all your posts and rewrite history so you all agree with me, too!

Bwahahahahahaha!

Image

(Oh, and happy new year! :D )
User avatar
Shaving Foamasi
 
 
Posts: 321
Joined: Mon Feb 01, 2010 11:51 am
Contact:

Mike Nuttall wrote:Christopher H Bidmead:
I should add that having the Doctor go back in time to do a fix that solves the problem by not allowing it to arise is a favourite storyline idea that we've had to outlaw. If recursive solutions are allowable our audience will ask why the Doctor doesn't always do this, and there will never be any adventure.
I think I'd have to agree with him.
That's true but at least it made a change from a big reset switch!
You mean you believed the Doctor would never regenerate into a woman?
Deleted User 3134

Why fish? Why not something alien? We're on an alien planet and yet we get flying goldfish and sharks.

Bottom line for a good story - it has to make sense. A Christmas Carol simply didn't on so many levels. Take away and the glossy production values and what's left is pretty poor. For example, the whole sonic screwdriver element was just so much rubbish.

Next time let's start with a plot and not some gimmicks and the glue needed to stick 'em together...
Nobbend
 
 
Posts: 166
Joined: Wed Dec 02, 2009 11:57 pm
Contact:

King Womble wrote:Why fish? Why not something alien? We're on an alien planet and yet we get flying goldfish and sharks.

Bottom line for a good story - it has to make sense. A Christmas Carol simply didn't on so many levels. Take away and the glossy production values and what's left is pretty poor. For example, the whole sonic screwdriver element was just so much rubbish.

Next time let's start with a plot and not some gimmicks and the glue needed to stick 'em together...
At least we're on an alien planet. My partner and I chuckled our way thru it, and thoroughly enjoyed it.
User avatar
LizR
Irony Maiden
Irony Maiden
Posts: 20964
Joined: Wed Dec 02, 2009 9:01 am
Location: Auckland, New Zealand
Contact:

I thought the setup was great, the point where the Doctor enters through the window on the film is way cool.

But then it jumped the shark...

...literally, in fact...

The shark made very little sense, and seemed distressingly random - an "alligator through the transom" in the jargon -- does this kind of thing happen a lot to kids in this world? No hint of the population living in fear, or was there? The idea that Abigail was "collateral" made no sense (when she had a terminal disease), the coming out every year to spend Xmas with a bunch of near strangers when you're dying made no sense, the Doctor's seemingly being quite happy with all the frozen people was a character derailment, the rewriting of Kazran's life is creepy (and the fact that he's ostensibly only doing it to save his friends doubly so), the overuse of time travel in one sense but not sensibly, as mentioned earlier, is annoyingly un-thought-out, the fact the Doctor has to be stupid enough not to work out the reason for the countdown on Abigail's freezer is another character derailment...

But with a bit more work, could have been great. Where is the Lennon to Moffat's McCartney, the person who says yes, some good ideas but it needs more work? This so needs the person with the final say on the script not to be the person writing it!
User avatar
Whovian
 
 
Posts: 454
Joined: Thu Mar 25, 2010 4:42 pm
Location: USA
Contact:

LizR wrote: Where is the Lennon to Moffat's McCartney, the person who says yes, some good ideas but it needs more work? This so needs the person with the final say on the script not to be the person writing it!
Some of RTD's scripts smacked of being first draft and the same with SM. I'm not saying any of them were bad scripts but they could have been improved if a script editor had cast an objective eye over them before the final draft.
Post Reply

Return to “SERIES 5”

  • Information
  • Who is online

    Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 7 guests