BIG and SHOUTY

Post Reply
Deleted User 3134

The mini episodes set me thinking about last season and what we got, or didn’t get, to see. And the one word that sprang to mind was BIG…

We got a BIG TARDIS interior – regenerated but still featuring an old typewriter and some bath taps! Why?

We got BIG Daleks – that looked like a Volvo hatchback, a buoyancy aid, a Telletubby or a comedy sex aid depending on your view. But whatever you say about ‘em, they’re BIG, although the general reception hasn’t been that polite.

We got BIG acting – gurning, jumping, frowning, running, star jumps etc…

We got more BIG music – the kind that slaps you in the face while shouting in your ear.

We also got a BIG monster roundup – a House of Frankenstein or Calling All Monsters version of Doctor Who. Proof, if proof was ever needed, that more isn’t always better.

What was in short supply was subtlety, dark humour, intelligible plotting, moments of calm and a general acceptance that the “less is more” rule is a good starting point. Instead we seem to have been lumbered with JNT-style melodrama but with better production values.

While I like Smith, his Doctor is getting some pretty repetitive lines that generally revolve around his shouting: “Yes!... No!...” And all the while one of his companions looks like he needs the toilet while the other raises an eyebrow while throwing out her hip.

The last season is the first I’ve not got on DVD and as a fan since the Hartnell days that tells me something. I’ll start watching next seasons but if it’s as BIG and SHOUTY as the last I probably won’t make it through to the end. I’ve only ever missed one episode since 1963 – Fury from the Deep part 6 – but I can see that number rising.
User avatar
ianj
The Dominator
The Dominator
Posts: 3248
Joined: Sun Nov 08, 2009 10:09 pm
Contact:

As Ive posted before, all I want is a straightforward sci-fi yarn with no shouty loud and music ridden scenes-Im suprised we havent seen more "wobbly-camera" on the programme....perhaps thats coming! To be honest, at Christmas I stopped recording them off the tv - the first time since 1979. Im not bothered about them very much anymore, I love the proper 60s and 70s series. I didnt bother to put the tv set on for the red nose day DW mini episodes either, I knew they would be sh*te. I think I will buy the dvd set of the series and then watch them at my leisure, without inane continuity over the end credits, Graham Norton pop ups in view etc etc.
Deleted User 3134

If the current production teams needs some guidance [and I think they do] on what makes for good Who then they should sit down and watch Spearhead from Space, the surviving episode of Web of Fear, The Aztecs, The Daemons, Pyramids of Mars, Tomb of the Cybermen and Dalek Invasion.

All have their faults – some age-related – but all understand the need for character, atmosphere, uncomplicated plotting, how to build and hold tension and how to use comedy interludes without destroying the drama.

When Troughton first encounters a Dalek in Evil ep 2 his face says it all – there’s no need to have him face down a brightly coloured tank. In that one moment we know why we should be frightened – because the Doctor is frightened.

That scene played today would have Smith jumping back, waving his arms, while shouting and gurning. And it therefore would fail to become a classic moment...
User avatar
markhuk
Styles Moderator
Styles Moderator
Posts: 1089
Joined: Sun Oct 25, 2009 9:21 pm
Contact:

King Womble wrote:If the current production teams needs some guidance [and I think they do] on what makes for good Who then they should sit down and watch Spearhead from Space, the surviving episode of Web of Fear, The Aztecs, The Daemons, Pyramids of Mars, Tomb of the Cybermen and Dalek Invasion.

All have their faults – some age-related – but all understand the need for character, atmosphere, uncomplicated plotting, how to build and hold tension and how to use comedy interludes without destroying the drama.

When Troughton first encounters a Dalek in Evil ep 2 his face says it all – there’s no need to have him face down a brightly coloured tank. In that one moment we know why we should be frightened – because the Doctor is frightened.

That scene played today would have Smith jumping back, waving his arms, while shouting and gurning. And it therefore would fail to become a classic moment...
Youre going to be out of luck then
There is no way on earth that they will make stories like those listed above - they just wouldnt be watched
You can argue against that all you want but it is a fact - the viewing figures for the Dr Who repeats from the 90s were tiny so obviously stories of that type - some of the best ever made in my opinion - are not in vogue with the current generation of viewers.
Im afraid your preferences just arent shared which is why the current series is so popular - wether you like it or not.
Personally I dont understand your complaint, I found season 5 to be the best of the new who, good acting well plotted stories and a consistant story arc that held together and finally gave us a season finale that made sense.
The one liners have been funny and on the whole the characterisation has been excellent - there have been slips but thats only to be expected with any series, after all even the era's you mentioned had their fair share of turkeys - for every Dead Planet theres a Chase, for every Web of Fear theres an Underwater Menace and for every Spearhead theres ... well to be honest I like all the Pertwee stories but Im sure there are others who think there are some bad ones and I'm sure you get the point anyway.
User avatar
Kamelion
 
 
Posts: 1805
Joined: Thu Apr 29, 2010 2:16 pm
Location: Elephant & Castle LONDON
Contact:

Subtletly. That's the problem - everything has to be sign-posted, magnified and milked from every possible angle for dramatic effect; in doing so, the intention is lost . I agree with markhuk (for once) that today's audience will not appreciate nor tolerate the way stories were shot and presented back in the day. I'm afraid we are in for much more 'race against time whilst gurning and muting the tele from Murray Gold's swelling orchestral histronic score' yet!!
markhuk wrote:I like all the Pertwee stories but Im sure there are others who think there are some bad ones
Correct. His era was not immune from duds either.
"..and who knows when it will end..."
User avatar
ianj
The Dominator
The Dominator
Posts: 3248
Joined: Sun Nov 08, 2009 10:09 pm
Contact:

Some Pertwee's are right duds, but all are watchable and for me, the best era. I like the Troughton cybermen stories too, but the rest are mostly duds, they wiped the two best Troughtons-the Yeti ones.......the new series is just too manic and loud and flashy to draw me in now, I loved DW when it was a little sci-fi serial on bbc1 after the score draws.
bingo99
 
 
Posts: 986
Joined: Fri Feb 12, 2010 3:17 pm
Contact:

markhuk wrote:Youre going to be out of luck then
There is no way on earth that they will make stories like those listed above - they just wouldnt be watched
You can argue against that all you want but it is a fact - the viewing figures for the Dr Who repeats from the 90s
When Who was at the peak of its unfashionability, and they were repeats. Not their fault they were coming on the back of McCoy, a cancellation and Dimensions in Time. A triple whammy.
markhuk wrote:were tiny so obviously stories of that type - some of the best ever made in my opinion - are not in vogue with the current generation of viewers.
How's 20 years ago current? The argument isnt that they should use seventies special effects anyway, just have a similar attitude.
markhuk wrote:Im afraid your preferences just arent shared which is why the current series is so popular
That was the reason given for not bringing the show back for 16 years. The impossibility of audiences preferring anything outside the current schedule. Someone in the mid 90s could have just have confidentally said that science fiction will never work on saturdays again because all audiences are interested in is Jeremy Beadle.

The fundamental basis of your defence of New Who is most of its audience is attention deficit morons with a phenomenally narrow taste. You don't have to make those arguments about Old Who.

A lot of New Who personnel make similar definitive statements though about how only their way can work in modern TV. Rusty, Moffat are always coming out with such definitive statements. And it seems to change depending on the weather. Mr M was going on and on last year about how the audience would switch off in droves if the first episode wasn't as lightweight as a Terry and June episode. This year:

"We've been pretty dark before in 'Doctor Who'. But we're coming in from the dark side just because we haven't done it that way before"

I take these definitive statements Cardiff makes about how Doctor Who can only be made one way nowadays, dull, staggeringly conservative and more often than not, written on water.
"Scriptwriters are confident they'll make a huge impact. Everyone remembers the Daleks and the Cyberman, but not a lot else if they're honest. The Tritovore will change that. They will last long in the memory" - New Who PR, 2009
User avatar
Kajaboy
 
 
Posts: 4823
Joined: Fri Dec 04, 2009 1:11 am
Contact:

bingo99 wrote:A lot of New Who personnel make similar definitive statements though about how only their way can work in modern TV. Rusty, Moffat are always coming out with such definitive statements. And it seems to change depending on the weather. Mr M was going on and on last year about how the audience would switch off in droves if the first episode wasn't as lightweight as a Terry and June episode. This year:

"We've been pretty dark before in 'Doctor Who'. But we're coming in from the dark side just because we haven't done it that way before"

I take these definitive statements Cardiff makes about how Doctor Who can only be made one way nowadays, dull, staggeringly conservative and more often than not, written on water.
My next door neighbour mixed up her KY jelly with the superglue. I asked her how she managed that but her lips are sealed.
User avatar
markhuk
Styles Moderator
Styles Moderator
Posts: 1089
Joined: Sun Oct 25, 2009 9:21 pm
Contact:

bingo99 wrote: The fundamental basis of your defence of New Who is most of its audience is attention deficit morons with a phenomenally narrow taste. You don't have to make those arguments about Old Who.
No it isnt, my arguament - if it can be called such - is merely that tastes have changed, I find your comments extremely rude and uncalled for, whilst I disagree with many on here at no time would I describe them as "attention defecit morons"
bingo99 wrote: A lot of New Who personnel make similar definitive statements though about how only their way can work in modern TV. Rusty, Moffat are always coming out with such definitive statements.
Where ? Ive read Rustys book and while Im staggered by the ego of the man at no point does he say his is the only way it can be done, Im not a big fan of Mr Davies but lets give the man some credit - he did make Who into a phenomally successful programme
bingo99 wrote: And it seems to change depending on the weather. Mr M was going on and on last year about how the audience would switch off in droves if the first episode wasn't as lightweight as a Terry and June episode. This year:

"We've been pretty dark before in 'Doctor Who'. But we're coming in from the dark side just because we haven't done it that way before"
So why is this a problem ? I dont understand why you are complaining about this when you next go on to say......
bingo99 wrote: I take these definitive statements Cardiff makes about how Doctor Who can only be made one way nowadays, dull, staggeringly conservative and more often than not, written on water.
I dont understand this at all - are you saying all the stories are the same ? because we must be watching different programmes if thats the case.
Post Reply

Return to “SERIES 5”

  • Information
  • Who is online

    Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 22 guests