Matt Smiths first series

Deleted User 3183

It was far superior to this year's, with 4 or 5 episodes of the highest quality.
LizR
Irony Maiden
Irony Maiden

I particularly liked The Eleventh Hour and Amy's Choice. There were some good points in other stories, e.g. the Smilers (wasted, as you said), the first half of the Angels one, some of the van Gogh one.... And some bad points, including various elements of the Dalek one, the Lodger, the Pandorica, the Hungry Earth and the Vampires one. To some extent I would put these down to problems with the format: somehow 42 minutes isn't long enough for a decent Who story, while 2 lots of 42 minutes forces the story to have a premature, and possibly anti-climactic, climax forced into the middle. (The natural emotional shape of a story is generally more like a smooth buildup to a climax than a "double hump".)

Amy's choice could have done with being longer, it was a shame it was resolved in a rather underwhelming manner. And the Angels one could have done with being better thought out, it was a great shame SM had to virtually rewrite them into a new monster to get the story to work. Had some great lines, though ("No, sir, they killed me...")

The second series was fairly similar in my opinion - some good and bad, e.g. the Silence, great idea, a couple of standout episodes (TDW, TGWW), some that were reasonably good but a bit of a let down for one reason or another (TGC, NT), a 2-parter that didn't really work, some mad stuff from SM that left me more confused than entertained...

On the plus side: shows lashings of potential. But could do (a lot) better.
Zarius
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

I quite liked the overall flow of the arc last year, something so simple yet so overwhelming a problem as the cracks were a charm, a shame they had to originate from The TARDIS, making it and Rhe Doctor the center of attention rather than the wandering stranger caught up in the madness.
LizR
Irony Maiden
Irony Maiden

Robert Watkins wrote:I didnt mind the Angels being changed, it made them more threatening.
It was the way the whole idea was changed I didn't like. I mean, making Daleks able to come out of their city - even able to fly - is just an extension of their existing abilities. But the Angels suddenly not being "quantum locked", the Angels suddenly just killing people rather than sending them back in time, was a complete rewrite. I think he should have at least explained why these changed, perhaps a different type of Angel, or something? There were some great bits in that story, but when the Angels started to move, and we saw them doing so, for me it was a bit of a shark-jump (for the Angels, not Moffat or, heaven forbid, the show itself......Dr Who has jumped back and forth over so many sharks in its time, yet still ended up on the, ahem, side of the Angles, that that wouldn't be a criticism, not really!)
The Nimon

Robert Watkins wrote:It does pose a question, what do Angels get from killing and sending back to the past?
Less bodies to clear up? ;) :lol:
The Judge Judy of Planet Mondax
Tanlee
Banned From Forum
Banned From Forum

I loved series 5. For me it was a great return to form after all the long-term damage done to the show by both the JNT and RTD eras. But Series 6 overall left me underwhelmed. I think it might be that Series 6 has had higher highs (Time Impossible Astronaut, The Doctor's Wife, The Girl Who Waited) and lower lows (Curse of the Black Spot, Let's Kill Hitler, Wedding of River Song), but certainly I felt it was overall far less than the sum of its parts, and it was as though the season kept leaving bits of itself behind and dismissing its previous emotional buildup quite coldly. It was very much like Kill Bill volume 2- visually unforgettable, incredibly smart and impressive in places, but ultimately by the end it had all diminished and exhausted itself and most damagingly, there was no catharsis to it.
LizR
Irony Maiden
Irony Maiden

Robert Watkins wrote:It does pose a question, what do Angels get from killing and sending back to the past?
Well, according to "Blink" they somehow consume “the energy of all the days you might have had". Which as one reviewer put it is "bollocks, but not utter bollocks". What happens when you return to the present (as Martha manages to do in "Blink") - are they violently sick? But anyway.

Return to “SERIES 5”

• Information