Rate "The Eleventh Hour".

Out of ten, how do you rate "The Eleventh Hour".

19%
31%
23%
15%
2%
2%
2%
2%
1%
2%

Total votes: 247
Fatso the wombat

You know the routine... what did you think of Mr Smith's debut episode? Give it a mark out of ten, and make your comments here...
stevefreestone

A real change of direction 'editorially' and some of the camerawork incredibly imaginative, dare say more so than in the RTD era. 9/10.

Bound to get better.
L. Scarman

9/10 amazing new direction. Gonna be a great series. Not impressed by the titles or music though.
bingo99

Matt Smith - Much much better than David Tennant

The story - Over long and very very dull. Very convoluted.

Short term, didn't like it this week, but for the show long term, much more optimisic.
"Scriptwriters are confident they'll make a huge impact. Everyone remembers the Daleks and the Cyberman, but not a lot else if they're honest. The Tritovore will change that. They will last long in the memory" - New Who PR, 2009
chasersbass

Not so keen on the titles and music rearrangement.......

But I like Smith and Gillan, and I think that the actual production looked better - maybe thats the HD being utilised properly. the Tardis is wonderful.

I'm looking forward to the rest

Bax
crackinthewall

chasersbass wrote:Not so keen on the titles and music rearrangement.......

Bax
Me neither! Like the general new direction though.
Mr.Quill

Impressive. Smith was awesome, Prisoner Zero very effective. New titles great, new theme tune not so. Amy - well the juries still out for me. All in all though a good solid start.
Let me out of here - I belong out there!!
Dobey Kweeg

Really liked Matt Smiths performance here - As soon as he stck his head out of the TARDIS I kind of went "michael Palin", and it stuck! Is that just me thats getting that vibe?

He just seemed much les forced that Tennants wackaday stuff.

It was a pretty well pitched show, if, as Bingo says, the story was a tad too convuluted and long for what it was. Its like the RTD era, but with the irritation (music excepted) turned downa good few notches - the kind of thing a lot of so called haters have been arguing - it is not big change but those shades of difference make all teh difference - could go pearshaped still ,but overall, a deifinite step in the right direction for me.
Mike Nuttall
Site Owner
Site Owner

I'll have to watch it again before I review it properly, but it gets a first-look big thumbs up from me. Must watch Confidential now...

What are the new titles and music about?! :|
The best chance for achieving peace and prosperity, for the maximum number of people worldwide, is to pursue the cause of liberty.

If you find this to be a worthwhile message, spread it throughout the land.
Dobey Kweeg

new titles, fine, first half of the new music... erm.... well the best that can be said is that it picks up towards the end! The beginning is just a slush of meh though on first listen - still, reqwinding the tape as I type for a second listen....
markhuk

like the titles hate the title music

Matt Smith was very impressive and I also thought Karen was very good in her part
the story was good - if a little stetched out in a couple of moments but nothing too much
the humour was funny without being forced and all the guest actors played their parts admirably

I loved the reggedy Doctor backstory

The TARDIS looked quite stunning

Production wise I thought the whole look of the programme had changed - for the better in my opinion.

Detailed analysis will come after second viewing and i already have a few ideas for a cover

but for now a definate 9/10
Mike Nuttall
Site Owner
Site Owner

Dobey Kweeg wrote:new titles, fine, first half of the new music... erm.... well the best that can be said is that it picks up towards the end! The beginning is just a slush of meh though on first listen - still, reqwinding the tape as I type for a second listen....
It doesn't sound like the Doctor Who theme to me, especially at the beginning. Maybe I'm just a boring traditionalist old-school fan but I just like the Doctor Who theme to sound like the Doctor Who theme. The titles are okay though.
The best chance for achieving peace and prosperity, for the maximum number of people worldwide, is to pursue the cause of liberty.

If you find this to be a worthwhile message, spread it throughout the land.
Dobey Kweeg

Yeah - listened to it again, and the first half is just a different theme altogether (unless my very old TV just isnt sophisticated enough to pick up the full effect!). It suddenly morphs into something approaching the theme, and seems tobe trying to be a bit weirdy, which is good, but ultimatley, it seems to lack teeth even when it gets going - again, maybe thats my speakers!
tburchell

Loved Matt Smith and Karen Gillan, new titles were good.BUT disliked the new theme arrangement!! It was perfect as it was. If it ain't broke don't mend it!!
HornOrSilk

Still waiting to see it, but didn't like the titles -- the music was ok second half, but first half -- what were they thinking? And I don't like the lightning nor the DW/Police Box effect. It is too much cheese -- trying to be dark (lightning) and light (DW/Box) all in one .... fails for me. But the best thing to say is -- the title sequence isn't what makes or breaks the show.
tony ingram

Loved it. Much more of an old style Who atmosphere, much tighter writing, interesting plot, Gillan is wonderful, the new TARDIS is great and Smith is so much better than Tennant! Really nailed the part, I thought. Only thing I really don't like is that bloody awful new theme music.
dastari

Really had serious doubts about the casting of Matt Smith. It looks very much like I was wrong. He is, at first glance, extremely likable and engaging. Clever episode in terms of hooking the kids. It felt strangely Roald Dahl at times (the food and the young orphan girl), a little Douglas Adams, a dash of RTD flippancy/pop culture, the crack in the wall and the corner of the eye idea was creepy and very evocative. Fantastic setting up of an interesting doctor/companion relationship.

So MAYBE the plot was a little thin, but it served the purpose of the episode and never seemed convoluted or dull. And the moment he stepped through the projection of doctors 1-10 *shudder*.

The Tardis, for me, was stunning and spot on. Loved the detail and care with which the new console was explored.

I absolutley refuse to pass judgement on the theme music for a few weeks. I need to get used to it.

I'm so excited when I had expected to be all anxious and full of worries. Well done Mr Moffat - clever guy!
dcampbell

This seems like a good day to join in. :)

I liked the crack in the wall - it was very atmospheric, and the Doctor and Amelia's reactions to it really helped 'sell' the threat to me.

On the other hand, I didn't like the giant-eyes-as-aliens. And overall I'm definitely feeling disappointed by the first episode after all the build up. I'd say it was below average, but maybe I was expecting too much.
baztec ceaser

I thought it was a great first episode. Not sure about the music, though, and i thought there could have been a better protagonist than prisoner zero. Loved the fairy tale feel, and smith and gillan. liked it!
The Nimon

Loved all of it, good stuff, well done Moff I feel like the child i was when i first started watching again:D
The Judge Judy of Planet Mondax

Return to “SERIES 5”

• Information