Rate "The Eleventh Hour".

Out of ten, how do you rate "The Eleventh Hour".

19%
31%
23%
15%
2%
2%
2%
2%
1%
2%

Total votes: 247
chap with wings

bingo99 wrote:
Mike Nuttall wrote:chap with wings texted me yesterday and I got the impression he hadn't tuned in to watch it?
Just in case it's good :D
No, because right from the second I saw Smith, I knew he was wrong on an instinctive level (Mikey seems to understand) and I stated at that point I would not watch any New Who with Moffat and Smith. I may be many things, but I am definately NOT a hypocrite. I may be cutting off my nose to spite may face, but at least I am doing it with a clear conscience! :lol: :lol: :lol:
"It can become a kind of franchise where it's not a real character at all, but just an amalgam of elements that people think are Doctor Who: a scarf, a bow tie... I wanted to be the actual Doctor Who." - Peter Capaldi

Follow me on Twitter at: https://twitter.com/BlogFinish

My Big Finish Review Archive is here - http://blogfinishplanetmondas.blogspot.co.uk/
Mike Nuttall
Site Owner
Site Owner

I do understand where chap is coming from. Sometimes you get a gut instinct against something or someone, and that's that. It may be irrational, but that's what a gut feeling is!
The best chance for achieving peace and prosperity, for the maximum number of people worldwide, is to pursue the cause of liberty.

If you find this to be a worthwhile message, spread it throughout the land.
Mike Nuttall
Site Owner
Site Owner

The Eleventh Hour scored an AI of 86 making it the most enjoyed and the most watched programme of the Easter weekend. It was the eighth most watched programme of the week.
The best chance for achieving peace and prosperity, for the maximum number of people worldwide, is to pursue the cause of liberty.

Dobey Kweeg

chap with wings wrote:
bingo99 wrote:
Mike Nuttall wrote:chap with wings texted me yesterday and I got the impression he hadn't tuned in to watch it?
No, because right from the second I saw Smith, I knew he was wrong on an instinctive level (Mikey seems to understand) and I stated at that point I would not watch any New Who with Moffat and Smith. I may be many things, but I am definately NOT a hypocrite. I may be cutting off my nose to spite may face, but at least I am doing it with a clear conscience! :lol: :lol: :lol:
But surelty the worse that can happen is that you are proved right and are exactly where you are now. The best that can happen is that you actually give it a go and enjoy it....
Winston Scott

I feel out of synch with the rest of the world, but I felt the episode was mediocre at best. Matt Smith was superb, but there was little that grabbed me about the rest of the episode and Moffat's authorial voice is too loud.

On the positive side, the trailer for the rest of the series looks promising, so let's see what develops.
bingo99

I thought Matt Smith didn't have any gravitas, and you know, I didn't mind that at all. Gravitas is good thing to have, but its not an absolute essential. Troughton spent many episodes bumbling his way through stories without a hint of it. Smith came across as more student than professor, and I liked that. I actually thought when the script grafted gravitas on to him ie "basically, run", that was the least effective part of the story. He's brought credibility to the idea of a young Doctor, gravitas is a great tool for the older Doctor, someone you can just respect is much more important for the younger model.

I was also impressed that he didn't behave like an obnoxious turnip at any point. You know, like deliberately stealing Mickey's girlfriend and then calling him an idiot. It's nice to have a Doctor back that's just a nice bloke.
"Scriptwriters are confident they'll make a huge impact. Everyone remembers the Daleks and the Cyberman, but not a lot else if they're honest. The Tritovore will change that. They will last long in the memory" - New Who PR, 2009
Dobey Kweeg

Well, I gave it a 7, which i think I think is decent for new Who - it may be a bit over enthusiastic by the fact its better than it has been - I'm just happy that theres a desire to have a bit of thought going in there. Things like "super Doctor" and Moffatts potentially repetitive motifs (is there a single Moffatt story so far without an underage girl at the heart of the action? Blink i suppose, those Carey Mulligan certanily looks younger than the part shes playing, so almost qualifies!).

But hey, I'm happy to let that go and try and be enthusiastic in the face of some small signs that the stagnation that RTD deliberately imposed is lifting - hopefully ythat wont lead to just another flavour of stagnation!
toxicspurge

So where to first? Is the next ep the Britain-In-Space one?
HornOrSilk

Toxic

Yes -- we go from Space UK, then to Daleks....
Mike Nuttall
Site Owner
Site Owner

toxicspurge wrote:So where to first? Is the next ep the Britain-In-Space one?
Check the series 5 spoiler thread, Brian. There's a new trailer for The Beast Below and a synopsis for the rest of the episodes:

http://www.planetkembel.com/forum/viewt ... &start=375

DaReverendMrMagister

HornOrSilk wrote:Toxic

Yes -- we go from Space UK, then to Daleks....
...in the UK.... :roll: :lol:
DaReverendMrMagister

Shaving Foamasi wrote:It is ridiculous to say that the Doctor didn't choose to get involved in the 60's. For example, I seem to remember Hartnell's Doctor in the Dalek Invasion of Earth rather vocally deciding to get involved to stop the Daleks plan. Then, of course, there's Troughton's famous speech in The Moonbase where he declares that the most terrible things in the universe must be fought, not to mention his defence at his trial at the end of The War Games. To say that it is only in the new series that he's turned into some kind of galactic James Bond style troubleshooter is nonsensical.

I do find it funny that "fans" say that the Police Box now is so incorrect when it changed its appearance umpteen times in the original series - the blue flashing light of the late 70's, the change from white to blue window frames, the disappearing St John's Ambulance badge and the ever changing notice on the door!

& it's not as if the Console Room has been constant from Day One is it? I like the new one, although I could do without the gimmicky taps and typewriter as it was suggested for the last console room that the ad-hoc bits like the pump were added by the Doctor, whereas now it seems the TARDIS has decided to put in this stuff itself.
I must agree. The TARDIS, a multi-dimensional impossibly advanced alien spacetime vessel from a world in the far future or the past or in another dimension, is supposed to have renewed itself...so why is the console covered in all sorts of EARTH junk? :?:
HornOrSilk

Probably because the TARDIS took on in the inside elements from the world it is in, like it is supposed to take from the outside.
DaReverendMrMagister

HornOrSilk wrote:Probably because the TARDIS took on in the inside elements from the world it is in, like it is supposed to take from the outside.
meh, sorry
NoSoul

chap with wings wrote:
bingo99 wrote:
So the first moment you "saw"....so not based on anything he's actually done with the role on an acting side, just by appearances? You do actually judge books by their cover I take it then?

Listen....just watch the damn episode. If you still hate him based on (watch as I try something crazy here) what he actually does on screen, then I will hereby never bug you about it again. As it is now, your opinion has no real weight because it's not based on anything but a silly first impression. I wasn't gung-ho about David Tennant on first glance, but he won me over. You just might find the same if you let it....
"Hi, I'm Troy McClure. You may remember me from such spin-offs as Son of Sanford and Son, and AfterMannix."
xylok b

As regarding Troughton it's even more painful when he's Matt's favourite doctor and the best of his bloody stories were wiped!!
HornOrSilk

DaReverendMrMagister wrote:
HornOrSilk wrote:Probably because the TARDIS took on in the inside elements from the world it is in, like it is supposed to take from the outside.
meh, sorry
Well, I am not saying I like the interior. I don't. But I can see it as being connected to the chameleon circuit. Just saying.
jonodan

I deducted points simply because - yet again - we are dealing with yet another "save the Earth" plot. Isn't it a bit embarrassing to keep this as a running theme from episode to episode. YAWWWWNNNNNN!... Historically, Doctor Who stories had a much greater variety of conflicts to entertain us with.
Ian Levine

bingo99 wrote:I thought Matt Smith didn't have any gravitas
Oh puh-leeeeze

I'm embarrassed to read that from you. What nonsense.

I shall ignore this, and cheer us all up instead with a pic of Tom Hopper, who was in last Saturday's episode of course.

'teleportNOW!'

Dobey Kweeg wrote:
chap with wings wrote:
bingo99 wrote:
But surelty the worse that can happen is that you are proved right and are exactly where you are now. The best that can happen is that you actually give it a go and enjoy it....

I think chap with wings needs to read a book called "Green Eggs and Ham" :lol:

Return to “SERIES 5”

• Information