Rate "The Eleventh Hour".

Out of ten, how do you rate "The Eleventh Hour".

19%
31%
23%
15%
2%
2%
2%
2%
1%
2%

Total votes: 247
NoSoul

feline1 wrote:
Dobey Kweeg wrote:
chap with wings wrote:
bingo99 wrote:
Mike Nuttall wrote:chap with wings texted me yesterday and I got the impression he hadn't tuned in to watch it?
Just in case it's good :D
No, because right from the second I saw Smith, I knew he was wrong on an instinctive level (Mikey seems to understand) and I stated at that point I would not watch any New Who with Moffat and Smith. I may be many things, but I am definately NOT a hypocrite. I may be cutting off my nose to spite may face, but at least I am doing it with a clear conscience! :lol: :lol: :lol:
But surelty the worse that can happen is that you are proved right and are exactly where you are now. The best that can happen is that you actually give it a go and enjoy it....

I think chap with wings needs to read a book called "Green Eggs and Ham" :lol:

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
"Hi, I'm Troy McClure. You may remember me from such spin-offs as Son of Sanford and Son, and AfterMannix."
bingo99

Ian Levine wrote:
bingo99 wrote:I thought Matt Smith didn't have any gravitas
Oh puh-leeeeze

I'm embarrassed to read that from you. What nonsense.

I shall ignore this[/img]
Read the rest of what I said, it wasn't an attack on Matt Smith, it was an attack on gravitas. Its a way overrated quality, that works beautifully for someone like Pertwee, but Tennant and McCoy telling you they're God and Jesus or whatever every five seconds, leave me out.

I think Matt Smith is the best Doctor since Tom Baker. I'm a major New Who fan*

*Starting last saturday
"Scriptwriters are confident they'll make a huge impact. Everyone remembers the Daleks and the Cyberman, but not a lot else if they're honest. The Tritovore will change that. They will last long in the memory" - New Who PR, 2009
WHOis007?

I think Moffatt's doing all I asked of Davies.

The stuff and the ideas have the potential to be good in a lot of Davies stuff but he didn't ever seem to respect the universe and its internal laws as much as Moffatt does in his stories. To be sure, there's a lot of RTD like moments but it doesn't grind as much on the nerves.

Here's hoping for more of the same!
"Beat you, cock."

Oh Tom. You and your double entendres.
cyber_boots

Having now watched 'The Eleventh Hour' twice, I absolutely loved it.

Matt Smith was simply wonderful and what a strong Doctor/companion relationship this looks.

Really looking forward to the next 12 weeks which I am sure will deliver the quality and variety us real fans crave.

Agree the 'new' title tune was naff. What were they thinking?

(( I see I am just a 'newbie' now :cry: ))
Mike Nuttall
Site Owner
Site Owner

cyber_boots wrote:Having now watched 'The Eleventh Hour' twice, I absolutely loved it.

Matt Smith was simply wonderful and what a strong Doctor/companion relationship this looks.

Really looking forward to the next 12 weeks which I am sure will deliver the quality and variety us real fans crave.

Agree the 'new' title tune was naff. What were they thinking?

(( I see I am just a 'newbie' now :cry: ))
How marvellous to have you here, Mr Fairclough!

The music's growing on me, you know. The more I hear it the more I like it.
The best chance for achieving peace and prosperity, for the maximum number of people worldwide, is to pursue the cause of liberty.

If you find this to be a worthwhile message, spread it throughout the land.
southanesq

I enjoyed it. I thought it was well written, acted and paced.

I fell out of love with Doctor Who after the broadcast of the "The Sound of Drums / The Last of the Time Lords". This was not just bad "Who" it was bad drama, bad television. With the exception of a very green Andrew Cartmel (who, to be fair, arrived in the middle of a production meltdown), I firmly believe that no previous script editor, budget aside, would have let this go through without some sort of revision. Bidmead's later comment about "first-draft stuff" was spot on as far as I was concerned.

I felt that RTD was channeling the worst aspects of JN-T and had forgotten what had brought him to the dance in the first place. If the function of a "Regeneration" story is to reintroduce the character of The Doctor to the audience. Then I am of the opinion that "Rose" is as important as "An Unearthly Child". Despite it ("Rose") displaying the same faults that would be accentuated in later RTD scripts, it captured the essence of The Doctor as a friend / hero / protector from his first scene.

I believe "The Eleventh Hour" has achieved this as well. In terms of "Regeneration" stories I rate it up there with "Spearhead From Space" and "Castrovalva" (which has to be viewed in the context of being the third part of a trilogy).

The casting of Kylie and then Catherine Tate all but finished me off as a regular viewer of Who in much the same way that Bonnie Langford did back in the 80's. Then, I got back into the show when I caught a few minutes of "Fenric" on UKGold a few years later. Now, I'll be watching next week because of the "The Eleventh Hour".

So, thanks Mr. Moffat - You done well.
Kajaboy

Rob Ocelot wrote: Thought the Sea Devil was a bit out of place in the "These are the alien threats I've protected the earth from" montage, seeing as they are FROM earth.

<Feline, please cover your screen>

Yeah, I know it's foreshadowing to the Silurians/Sea Devils making an appearance later in the season ....

Thank you for that spoiler which until now I had missed. :x
My next door neighbour mixed up her KY jelly with the superglue. I asked her how she managed that but her lips are sealed.
oz72

Mike Nuttall wrote:I do understand where chap is coming from. Sometimes you get a gut instinct against something or someone, and that's that. It may be irrational, but that's what a gut feeling is!

I had the same with Mccoy, but I did give him a chance and I was right, his first story was utter sh*te and I never really watched him again.

However to not watch it at all based on a gut instinct to me is lunacy, and definatly cutting of the old hooter. Watching Matt the other night was the best bit of Who I have watched in a long time, amazing stuff. I cant wait to watch it again with my 7 year old daugher. I've not ever really had a strong urge to watch new who again but I cant wait to see it agin :)
Cyberbagel

Thought it was about time I started to contribute to the forum that I have enjoyed, new and old, for so long.

What a belter!
As with many, my only criticism is the reworking of the theme tune although I am sure that it will grow on me.

But the show felt so fresh and new.

I was telling my nine year old son how this feels so similar to that saturday night many years ago when The Leisure Hive aired and the starfield burst onto the screen for the first time with Peter Howell's theme filling my ears.
(Although part of me feels/hopes that the credits next week will be without the lightning.)

Matt Smith - well I had bought into him within seconds.
Karen Gillan - I have to say that I don't feel much attachment to her yet, but I am sure this will change.

That said, the acting was great and the stunt casting appropriate and if anything underplayed. (excecpt for Patrick Moore, but what a nice surprise.)

The plot - simple for the kids with something more for the grownups which is how it should be for the opener.

My verdict - 7/10 but in context of a show opener, 1st doctor story 10/10. (The best intro for a Doctor ever!)
First episode - Monster of Peladon 4
Favourite Doctor - ask me in July!
RANTING MANIAC

Ian Levine wrote:
bingo99 wrote:I thought Matt Smith didn't have any gravitas
Oh puh-leeeeze

I'm embarrassed to read that from you. What nonsense.

I shall ignore this, and cheer us all up instead with a pic of Tom Hopper, who was in last Saturday's episode of course.
Ian Levine, as a Jew, you know that homosexuality is taboo according to Torah, as it is written by Moses Law: "Homosexuality is absolutely forbidden, for it is an enormous sin"

I mention this with the greatest respect, Mr levine. :|
Nobbend

Yes well there's a load of bollocks written in religious texts.

Mostly in the book of Leviticus. So if you're going to quote religious text as a rule of life you're going to have to deal with all of it.

Are you prepared to give up prawns? According to Leviticus all non fishy seafood is an abomination.

Mr.Levene and I have clashed on a number of occasions both here and on the old forum, but I respect his life choices although I don't share them.

Nobbend
Nobbend

By the way. I loved the first episode. Matt and Karen are tops. The story was good.

I don't like the arrangement of the feem toon

It reminds me of Rubber Bullets by 10CC

"I went to a TARDIS at the local county jay-yail...."
RANTING MANIAC

Nobbend wrote:Yes well there's a load of bollocks written in religious texts.

Mostly in the book of Leviticus.

Nobbend
Nobbend don't be a fool! Ian Levine is a Jew and to be a Jew means to be religious! After all, what are the Jews? the people of God!

Are you saying being a Jew is a load of bollocks?! I dare you to say that to Ian Levine! He'll knock your block off!! :evil:

Now, lets drop this topic and resume talk on the thread title.
Nobbend

It's a shame being a turnip isn't a crime
RANTING MANIAC

Ian Levine, I must ask you, do you believe that Moffat could potentially produce something that will displace The Daleks Master Plan as your favorite episode?
southanesq

Nobbend wrote:It's a shame being a turnip isn't a crime
I concur... However, I would suggest that you (and other fellow posters) follow the standard rule when dealing with "Flame Bait" and this is: Not To Feed The Troll.
Nobbend

southanesq wrote:
I concur... However, I would suggest that you (and other fellow posters) follow the standard rule when dealing with "Flame Bait" and this is: Not To Feed The Troll.
Acknolwedged
Kajaboy

RANTING MANIAC wrote: Ian Levine, as a Jew, you know that homosexuality is taboo according to Torah, as it is written by Moses Law: "Homosexuality is absolutely forbidden, for it is an enormous sin"

I mention this with the greatest respect, Mr levine. :|
I can't believe I am reading this.

You can be religious and still be gay regardless of what some ancient out of date text says. It says in the Bible that adulterers should be stoned to death. Would you like to cast a stone at Bill Clinton or Prince Charles?
My next door neighbour mixed up her KY jelly with the superglue. I asked her how she managed that but her lips are sealed.
Fatso the wombat

southanesq wrote:
And do as one member rightly did; report the relevant post to the moderation team in order that action can be taken.
MICHAEL

Going back on topic, I have to say after a rewatch I still like this episode. Matt is a brilliant doctor and I enjoyed the story, good to see Matt being The Doctor from the word go too. I've got a feeling this series is going to get better and better.

Return to “SERIES 5”

• Information