Rate "The Eleventh Hour".

Out of ten, how do you rate "The Eleventh Hour".

19%
31%
23%
15%
2%
2%
2%
2%
1%
2%

Total votes: 247
Fatso the wombat

Please can we stick to topic now, please. If anyone wishes to start a thread on the topic touched upon above, in a more respectful manner than exhibited in this thread, please feel free to do so; but ensure it is in the relevant section of the forum (The Zero Room).

Thanks!
Shaving Foamasi

My 7 year old nephew absolutely loved the new Doctor. What's more he really loves the new opening titles and music. I looked at him quizzically but he said he loves the lightning flashes.
You mean you believed the Doctor would never regenerate into a woman?
image45
Former Team Member
Former Team Member

9 out of 10 now, good to see members are almost 100% happy with the first episode of the new doctors time :D
O-Ren Ishii: You didn't think it was gonna be that easy, did you?
The Bride: You know, for a second there, yeah, I kinda did.
O-Ren Ishii: Silly rabbit.
Morbius1975

8/10.... although this might well go up after subsequent viewing.

Matt Smith 10/10 I was a bit skeptical at first but now that I've seen him in action I think he will be a brilliant Doctor. The "mad scientist" personality with a mix of Troughton and Einstein worked well for me, and is a refreshing change from Tennant, despite some strong performances over the past few years has been THE public face of the Doctor.
Amy Pond- 7/10 Although her performance was excellent, I would like to see more of the new companion before developing firm opinion.

Plot- 8/10 Fairly solid for an opening story, I quite liked the more subtle post-regeneration personality changes that allowed for the Doctor to be a bit unstable before settling on his new persona, but not dominating the story a la The Twin Dilemma. I think that they did a lot with the time allotted and introduced the new characters properly, and all in all the strongest season opening story of New Who, with the possible exception of Rose.

Open Sequence & Title Theme- 6/10 (?) I have to watch a few more of the new season before developing a firm opinion on this.

The directing and atmosphere was extremely well done, although like a few others here I think the CGI prisoner sequence didn't work particularly well, but I do have to admit I did quite like the Douglas Adams style conversation with the spaceship eye and thought it quite an original design concept.

I am eagerly looking forward to this coming Saturday and The Beast Below and anticipate even better to come! :mrgreen:
paulzeus

LizR wrote:I'm not squeeing yet. Maybe when I actually get to see Series 5, I will ...
Not seen series 5 yet? Wow! - You'll love it, cybermen, ice warriors, Yeti and a clever little chap in a bow tie...

;)
LizR
Irony Maiden
Irony Maiden

paulzeus wrote:
LizR wrote:I'm not squeeing yet. Maybe when I actually get to see Series 5, I will ...
Not seen series 5 yet? Wow! - You'll love it, cybermen, ice warriors, Yeti and a clever little chap in a bow tie...

;)
I was hoping you were going to say something like "you'll love it - good stories that hold your interest, are exciting and well written, with thought provoking ideas that often touch on important and topical subjects!"

Or perhaps "you'll love it - it's like classic Who in the important respects, (i.e. drained of 80s style fanwank), and with the sets, effects and so on brought up to date!"

But anyway, I'm looking forward to finding out. Hope springs eternal...
LizR
Irony Maiden
Irony Maiden

Cyberbagel wrote:(The best intro for a Doctor ever!)
Have you seen "An Unearthly Child" or "Power of the Daleks" ? Or "Spearhead from Space" for that matter... (after that I migt concur.)
LizR
Irony Maiden
Irony Maiden

Nobbend wrote:Mr.Levene and I have clashed on a number of occasions both here and on the old forum, but I respect his life choices although I don't share them.
Being gay may not even be a choice, there is some evidence that it's got a genetic basis. (Which makes persecuting people for it even less defensible, if that's possible.)

As for religious texts and all that, my favourite response is: "If God doesn't like the way I live, then let him tell me about it, not you."
LizR
Irony Maiden
Irony Maiden

Nobbend wrote:By the way. I loved the first episode. Matt and Karen are tops. The story was good.

I don't like the arrangement of the feem toon

It reminds me of Rubber Bullets by 10CC

"I went to a TARDIS at the local county jay-yail...."
"Load up, load up, load up with rubber monsters..."
LizR
Irony Maiden
Irony Maiden

RANTING MANIAC wrote:Nobbend don't be a fool! Ian Levine is a Jew and to be a Jew means to be religious! After all, what are the Jews? the people of God!
Being a Jew definitely does not mean being religious. I have known Jews who were atheists. It's an ethnic group (one that happens to be less associated with a geographical area than most, at least prior to 1948 - but a lot of ethnic groups are mobile nowadays, in any case).
LizR
Irony Maiden
Irony Maiden

Kajaboy wrote:Would you like to cast a stone at Bill Clinton or Prince Charles?
Don't tempt me! :D

Mind you I wouldn't wish to cast one at my husband or myself, and we were "consenting adulterers" until his divorce came through...
LizR
Irony Maiden
Irony Maiden

I've seen it!!!

Thank you, DaReverendMrMagister, for introducing me to a certain TV programme download site!

Hmm. First impressions certainly weren't bad. I will sleep on it, and see what I think in the morning. But when he said "Trust me, I'm the Doctor" it brought a tear to my eye, and I thought "At last, he's back!"

So that's probably a good sign... :D
DaReverendMrMagister

LizR wrote:I've seen it!!!

Thank you, DaReverendMrMagister, for introducing me to a certain TV programme download site!
You're welcome. Hooray!!! :D
Mike Nuttall
Site Owner
Site Owner

LizR wrote:
I've seen it!!!
What did you think of it, Elizabeth?
The best chance for achieving peace and prosperity, for the maximum number of people worldwide, is to pursue the cause of liberty.

If you find this to be a worthwhile message, spread it throughout the land.
bingo99

I've watched its Doctor Who Confidential twice. I never thought there'd be a day where that happened.
"Scriptwriters are confident they'll make a huge impact. Everyone remembers the Daleks and the Cyberman, but not a lot else if they're honest. The Tritovore will change that. They will last long in the memory" - New Who PR, 2009
chasersbass

Weird - did that too and I very rarely even watch it at all
chap with wings

bingo99 wrote:I've watched its Doctor Who Confidential twice. I never thought there'd be a day where that happened.
The world just doesent make sense any more..... :shock: :shock: :shock:
Next Feline will have fallen madly in Love with Murray "Bloody" Gold. :lol: :lol:
"It can become a kind of franchise where it's not a real character at all, but just an amalgam of elements that people think are Doctor Who: a scarf, a bow tie... I wanted to be the actual Doctor Who." - Peter Capaldi

Follow me on Twitter at: https://twitter.com/BlogFinish

My Big Finish Review Archive is here - http://blogfinishplanetmondas.blogspot.co.uk/
LizR
Irony Maiden
Irony Maiden

SPOILERS...(of course)

"Funny's good!"

I've only watched a few episodes of New Who more than once. Most of those were in Series One, which I found reasonable, if flawed. I was hoping the subsequent series' would be vast improvements, but that didn't happen - RTD not only seemed to go onto autopilot, having presumably shot his bolt with the political satire in AOL/WW3, the satire of consumerism in TLG and BW, a few barbs at plastic surgery (!) in TEOTW, and his "doconstruction" of the whole idea of the Doctor turning up and saving people. IMHO he had more or less run out of ideas by series two, apart from a poke at fandom in LAM, he didn't really have anywhere else to go, except to do pastiches. But unfortunately by this point everyone had told him he was a genius, and even more unfortunately he believed them. So he was trapped in a time loop, more or less repeating the same things over and over...

....until now. Finally, we have a new Whomeister. The series has broken out of the loop. And what is the result...?

Let's start with Matt Smith. There have been doubts aplenty. Too young, too unknown, too not very good in "Moses Jones" (IMHO) (and apparently also underwhelming in "Ruby in the Smoke"). But I was hopeful, because I didn't think Moffat would have cast him unless he was good. Moffat has said he wanted an older actor, so MS came as a susprise - but this was also grounds for hope, because it suggested that Moffat thought Smith was very good indeed.

And he is.

He makes Ecclestone look too dour, although I thought Eccles was very good, but mainly he makes David Tennant look like an actor. When you see DT "out of character" he seems like a real person - but as the Doctor, he seemed like someone who was putting on a silly voice and silly mannerisms and over-acting furiously (IMHO of course). Not to disrespect him, he worked wonders with some truly ghastly material at times, but compared to Smith he looked - how can I put this? - awkward. Smith is awkward, odd, gangly, eccentric - he looks, to me, like he is the Doctor. He just doesn't seem to be acting. Well, except occasionally, when he comes across a bit too much like Tennant.

And he can do comedy!

"Dr Who" has always been full of comedy, presumably because it's completely ridiculous (if you stop to think about it) and some of the writers also did comedy anyway (e.g. Terry Nation) and it was always satirical, well at least until the 80s, with social comments woven into the stories, and....it just is, all right? But comedy isn't as easy at it looks (like most things that look easy), and Matt Smith is utterly fantastic at it - as is Karen G for that matter. The script was filled with delightful one-liners, as well as the odd bit of physical comedy (including Smith running like a drunk giraffe, NOW I can see what Moffat meant by that!).

The kids shrieked with laughter in places, then hid behind their fingers moments later. We were transported from comedy to fear to tragedy within seconds, and it worked. We didn't need the music laid on with a trowel to tell us when to emote (which it was in places, although actually I managed to hear most of the dialogue, so it wasn't too bad).

Karen Gillan is also wonderful. She has a backstory that is shown, not told for the most part - no "stop the action while I recount the important events of my life" scenes from Moffat! The simple pan across her pictures and Doctor dolls and onto her wedding dress was heart-wrenching, her simple comments about not having parents but only a (wicked?) aunt likewise, sitting on her case waiting for the Doctor to come back - excuse me while I well up. That's how you tell a story, by not telling it! It's a Zen thing, and Moffat has it in spades.

The script also sparkles with wit and humour. The alien sub-plot is a bit thin, but that's to be expected. We had the (yawn) Earth in peril, again. The Atraxi seem particularly thick as aliens go, missing a sonic screwdriver sticking up like a sore thumb, willing to blow up the world to get hold of one prisoner. In a way I'd have preferred it if the Doctor had helped Prisoner Zero escape, because it looked as though the jailers were pretty bad too. But thats minor, minor...what else? I have to go and play Cluedo with the kids in a minute, so just the main points here.... :D

OK, what is there to not like? Hmm.......I could have done without "Hello, I'm the Doctor - basically, run!" Too Oncoming Storm, but at least it was shown, not told - instead of a pompous speech, we got to see just WHY aliens might think twice about invading Earth, and a shout-out to Doctors past, too. Plus the whole hospital and clothes business was I assume intended as a shout-out to "Spearhead", and very nice it was too.

OK, now I don't want to be a Cassandra but Moffat may only have a certain number of tricks up his sleeve. Brilliantly though they were used this time around, the whole Amy thing is a retread of the (rather awful IMHO) "Girl in the Fireplace" trope. The hospital and coma patients is reminiscent of "Empty Child" (but a lot more reminiscent of "The Seven Crystal Balls" - and Moffat was writing Tintin before, so that looks just a teensy bit nicked). In fact the whole coma business was rather odd, why did they call for the Doctor, why didn't the senior doctor believe the nurse EVEN AFTER SHE HEARD THE PATIENTS CALLING OUT? - what was Prisoner Zero doing going for walks in the village, anyway? How come only the nurse saw him/her/it? Hm.

OK, one more - how come a tiny village - the nearest city is half an hour by car, apaprently, the only shop is one post office - has a hospital with several coma victims? (And how does Amy run her kissogram business, come to that?)

But "No TARDIS - no screwdriver - 18 minutes to save the world - think, think!" is just so what I've been waiting to hear for 5 years. And the plot resolution was pretty clever, too, even if it does rely a bit on the Atraxi being thick as mollasses.

And what about Amy in the TARDIS, was that an Ian and Barbara moment or what? Nice to see some sheer astonishment, plus she still has the nous to get the Doctor to admit that he isn't doing her a favour but actually needs companionship.

But! I've only watched a few episodes of new Who twice, most fell apart half way through the first viewing - we would be talking wild horses for a second go. This one I watched twice, once before going to bed last night and again this morning, and I was looking forward to the second viewing. And I could probably manage a third quite happily, it was that good. And so many one liners, many of which would make great sigs, like "Box falls out of sky, man falls out of box, man eats fish custard."

Which means, with profound apologies to chap with wings (and I really do feel a bit guilty about saying this, but at least we agree on "Jonathan Creek" !) . . .

. . . . that it was "Faaaan---tastic!"

I'd say 9/10 (because the alien bit could have been firmed up a bit more).

Let's hope the rest is this good, or preferably even better.
LizR
Irony Maiden
Irony Maiden

SPOILERS (of course)

If I was being particularly nitpicking I could say that miscalculating the time jumps was a bit overused, but of course it was necessary to the plot the first time, and may also be the second. (I could also say what are the chances of the Doctor turning up on the exact spot where an interdimensional alien is about to skip bail, but he always does that!)

Or I could ask how come Amy doesn't appear to recognise the Doctor when he turns up again? (Possible answer - because she stopped believing he was real, and so won't admit it could be him?)

But that would be really scraping the barrel, when it's so full of brilliant dialogue, pacing, clever storytelling, and a plot resolution that was sufficiently foreshadowed that the viewers said "Yes!" rather than the "What?" we've become accustomed to with RTD.

And it was endlessly quotable...

"Do everything I tell you, don't ask stupid questions, and don't wander off."
"You're Scottish, fry something!"
"Beans are evil - bad bad beans!"
"Not actual cowboys, though that can happen." (perhaps a sort-of reference to "Time Bandits" ? )
"Give me 5 minutes and I'll be right back." -- "People always say that." -- "Am I people? Do I even look like people? Trust me, I'm the Doctor."
"Count the rooms." -- "Why?" -- "Because it will change your life."
"It's an interdimensional multiform from outer space. They're all terrified of wood."
"I'm Amelia, and you're late!"
"What happened?" -- "I grew up." -- "Don't worry, I'll soon fix that."

...and the kids love the new interior. And the "Saint John's Ambulance" sign (which I hadn't even noticed).
...and what was that he turned off on the scanner?!? :shock:
...and it even has Bill Nighy.
xylok b

I watched it three times, cannot wait for the Beast Below on Saturday !

Return to “SERIES 5”

• Information