Rate "The Eleventh Hour".

Out of ten, how do you rate "The Eleventh Hour".

19%
31%
23%
15%
2%
2%
2%
2%
1%
2%

Total votes: 247
chap with wings

You can all have a go at me and call me a hypocrite if you like, but finally curiosity got the better of me and I watched it.

Well, the good:

Young Amelia Pond (utterly marvellous)
The New TARDIS interior
Intriguing bit about the Pandorica and Silence

The Bad:

Theme tune
Amy Pond (can she only do one expression?)
Lack of any "real" characters
No feeling of wonder and amazement, a general flatness
Matt Smith (just a really bad Tennant impersonation all the way through)he had no sense of heartbreak or immediate trust, Eccleston WAS the Doctor from the moment he said "RUN", Smith after 60 minutes failed to convince, when Smith confronted the alien on top of the hospital, I just was not convinced, Tennant or McCoy would have been scary there SMith just sort of bumbled and said the lines.

I mean, the scene where the Doctor asked Amy to give him 20 minutes, if that had been Tennant I would have had a knot in my stomach and tears welling in my eyes, with Smith just nothing.

As for the plot, well take a bit of the Girl in the fireplace, add a touch of The Christmas Invasiion and The Daemons and Voila - The 11th Hour.

So overall 3/10 one point each for the TARDIS Interior, Young Amelia and the Pandorica reference.

I am off on holiday for the next week, so I may catch up with th rest.

All the very best,

Ed.
"It can become a kind of franchise where it's not a real character at all, but just an amalgam of elements that people think are Doctor Who: a scarf, a bow tie... I wanted to be the actual Doctor Who." - Peter Capaldi

Follow me on Twitter at: https://twitter.com/BlogFinish

My Big Finish Review Archive is here - http://blogfinishplanetmondas.blogspot.co.uk/
'teleportNOW!'

Appropos of Season 33(?) broadcasting later this year, I started re-watching my Matt Smith BluRays to try and deconfuse my head of what the bally hell was going on :floorroll:

Anyways, I still found this first episode rather enjoyable. The whole "Doctor telling little Amy Pond he'll be back in 5 mins, then comes back 12 years later finding she's been seeing psychologists all this time to cure her of delusions" thing is lovely, Amy gets set up as a very 'real' character. And I just basically like Matt Smith.
The monster/space-ships in the sky bit was rather less convincing but it wasn't the main point of the episode.
iank

Easily one of the top 10 New Who episodes, this was a breath of fresh air at the time after the excruciating excesses of the last couple of years of the Davies era, with Smithy instantly wiping away the memory of Tennant's smug lothario and presenting us with a credible Doctor for the first time in the new series, and Amy instantly becoming the greatest modern companion; their chemistry is awesome. The story isn't overly original but is a lot of fun and this is one of the most rewatchable NuHu stories too. At the time it really seemed like the bad days were finally behind us and real Doctor Who was back at last (as did most of series 5).
Shame it couldn't and didn't last, but that's not this episode's or this season's problem, and I'm still very fond indeed of this one. Best post-regeneration story since Spearhead.
(Doctor Who) has been hijacked and redefined as a lucrative modern franchise. They've literally taken a square peg and painfully made it fit a round hole by taking enormous liberties with much of its fundamental essence. There's no turning back now.

- ozymandias, The Leisure Hive 2010
bobmcpherson

YES. I was literally walking away at this point. Davies had just killed it for me and this was literally a breath of fresh air. I felt a weight being lifted from my shoulders. Complete agreement.

What happened???
iank

I suspect a combination of Moffat burning himself out in record time and the BBC higher-ups coming down with a pronouncement of "make it more like the Davies era" i.e mentally challenged.
It remains a bitter taste that what looked like the beginning of a new golden age, one that would finally fulfill the promise of "modern Doctor Who", ended up being the era that killed the show altogether for me. :(
(Doctor Who) has been hijacked and redefined as a lucrative modern franchise. They've literally taken a square peg and painfully made it fit a round hole by taking enormous liberties with much of its fundamental essence. There's no turning back now.

- ozymandias, The Leisure Hive 2010
paulhickling
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Loved this episode and still do. Definitely one of the best Moff era ones. The sfx did look a bit SJA, but were good enough to help tell the story, and it was only a temporary hitch. Everyone in it is great, and the music score is wonderful.
Cygnus Prime
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Fatso the wombat wrote:You know the routine... what did you think of Mr Smith's debut episode? Give it a mark out of ten, and make your comments here...
With his TARDIS in ruins, the newly-regenerated Doctor with the help of Amy Pond must save the world in less than twenty minutes from galactic policemen known as the Atraxi.

LizR
Irony Maiden
Irony Maiden

Definitely a good 'un, the alien thread was a bit boring (but then it's an intro - plus the door opening in fast-forward scene was spooky).

Return to “SERIES 5”

• Information