The Hungry Earth/Cold Blood (MY Review)

Allons-y

No, this isn't Tanlee here, but given his rather vocal hatred of Warriors of the Deep, I decided to rewatch the Silurian/Sea Devil (shall we just call them Earth Reptiles for ease of writing?) stories. Firstly I don't much like these stories, I like the idea of the Earth Reptiles and the dynamic between them as the original rulers of the Earth and the humans who now rule, but somehow the stories generally turn out a bit dull and predictable. I preferred The Sea Devils to Doctor Who and the Silurians, I think the Master helped, but in many ways it was just an aquatic rehash of the original. I still don't understand Tanlee's loathing for Warriors of the Deep, but I think it was the weakest of the three (at the time) Earth Reptile stories, don't get me wrong it was a solid little story, but it was a little like The Five Doctors in that while it brought back things from the past and was rather enjoyable nostalgia, it didn't really have that much happening in terms of plot.

Now moving on to the point of this post, I actually think The Hungry Earth/Cold Blood was the best of these stories. Sure we all like to mock it because the Silurians were wrong and let's be honest, the term Homo Reptilia shows a basic lack of scientific understanding so great it makes you cringe, but that aside it's not a bad story at all. The differences in the Silurian design were explained "Different branch of the species" is how the Doctor described them and it really was a different take on the story. Yes, there's still the Earth Reptile/Human tension, but I think swapping things around so that there is a huge force of Silurians and a handful of humans really makes a difference and the mining angle worked really well. I don't know how well I'm actually managing to explain why I liked it better, but I think this story really just worked where those in the classic run somehow just hadn't.
AMERICA IS AN ANVIL.

:4thDoctor: There's no point in being grown up, if you can't be childish sometimes!
tony ingram

In generally, I agree. Though a few quite significant boobs slightly spoiled it for me.
Allons-y

tony ingram wrote:In generally, I agree. Though a few quite significant boobs slightly spoiled it for me.
yeah they're hardly reptilian, but what can you do.
AMERICA IS AN ANVIL.

:4thDoctor: There's no point in being grown up, if you can't be childish sometimes!
The Nimon

tony ingram wrote:In generally, I agree. Though a few quite significant boobs slightly spoiled it for me.
Awwww I've not got that version ;)
The Judge Judy of Planet Mondax
Tanlee
Banned From Forum
Banned From Forum

It was spoilt by the display of boobs? How does *that* work out?
tony ingram

Tanlee wrote:
Lesbian lizards I can just about cope with, but lizards with mammary glands? No. That's a stretch too far.
The Nimon

tony ingram wrote:
Tanlee wrote:
Lesbian lizards I can just about cope with, but lizards with mammary glands? No. That's a stretch too far.
You can't notice them too much, Neve isn't too big in that department. I can't see why Silurian boobs is a problem with some fans though, this is Sci-fi not fact. People have no problem with a Police Box being bigger on the inside.
tony ingram

The Nimon wrote:
tony ingram wrote:
Tanlee wrote:
You can't notice them too much, Neve isn't too big in that department. I can't see why Silurian boobs is a problem with some fans though, this is Sci-fi not fact. People have no problem with a Police Box being bigger on the inside.
Yes, but there's no logical reason why lizards would have mammalian characteristics. That's not Sci-Fi.
Heccypoo

[/quote]

You can't notice them too much, Neve isn't too big in that department. I can't see why Silurian boobs is a problem with some fans though, this is Sci-fi not fact. People have no problem with a Police Box being bigger on the inside.[/quote]Yes, but there's no logical reason why lizards would have mammalian characteristics. That's not Sci-Fi.[/quote]

Maybe, because they are an advanced form of Reptile, they have developed mammary glands?

Though it's not a reptile or a bird or a mammal, the Platypus has aspects of all 3 types.

It lays eggs and lactates and produces venom.

So why couldn't the Silurian's develop some form of Lactation?

:Tardis:
Now that we all know about the rude bits, aren't they rude? And as we get older, they get ruder and ruder. :oops:
Allons-y

Heccypoo wrote: Though it's not a reptile or a bird or a mammal, the Platypus has aspects of all 3 types.
It actually is a mammal, as monotremes by definition are egg laying mammals.
AMERICA IS AN ANVIL.

Heccypoo

Allons-y wrote:
Heccypoo wrote: Though it's not a reptile or a bird or a mammal, the Platypus has aspects of all 3 types.
It actually is a mammal, as monotremes by definition are egg laying mammals.
OK, I stand corrected. I was just trying to indicate that nature doesn't always follow it's own rules.

Maybe a reptile species could develop some form of lactation.

It doesn't necessarily have to be along the 'mammalian' route.

There is a wasp that produces a form of milk to feed it's own young for example.
Now that we all know about the rude bits, aren't they rude? And as we get older, they get ruder and ruder. :oops:
Tanlee
Banned From Forum
Banned From Forum

I prefer to see it as metaphorical (which is something deep by Chibnall's standards). The breasts are described I think as poison sacks, and their Silurian female prisoner is pretty venomously tongued in the figurative sense of the word.
The Nimon

tony ingram wrote:Yes, but there's no logical reason why lizards would have mammalian characteristics. That's not Sci-Fi.
Does it need a Logical reason? Sci-fi is Science Fiction not Science fact, There are no rules in fiction. If the writer wants to have evolved lizard women with boobs why not, its not the real world. The production team wanted female Siluians so they had them, short of getting Neve and the girls have their breasts removed theres not really all that much you can do about it. This is really like watching many of the rubber monsters that had no clothes on from the many years of the show and saying 'That monster doesn't make sense as they don't have a willy'

Return to “SERIES 5”

• Information