The dalek paradigm

xylok b

I know the daleks have been severely over used in the new series. So I'm in no rush to see them back. I hope that when they do come back that they will finally explain what the eternal dalek is and what those compartments on their backs are for.

Come on Moffat, leaving all these threads hanging !!
tony ingram

I just assumed it was where they put their shopping.
LizR
Irony Maiden
Irony Maiden

xylok b wrote:I hope that when they do come back that they will finally explain what the eternal dalek is
I believe it's in charge of making honey.
paulhickling
Former Team Member
Former Team Member

I wish they'd either totally forget them and not mention them ever again. Or give us a battle between the two factions, like the DW Experience scenario, where the 'proper' lot totally obliterate the Paradigms, and then totally forget them and not mention them ever again.

The were goddamn awful. THE worst thing inflicted by new Who since it returned. Or for that matter since it started in '63. Such is my hatred of them.
Heccypoo

paulhickling wrote:I wish they'd either totally forget them and not mention them ever again. Or give us a battle between the two factions, like the DW Experience scenario, where the 'proper' lot totally obliterate the Paradigms, and then totally forget them and not mention them ever again.

The were goddamn awful. THE worst thing inflicted by new Who since it returned. Or for that matter since it started in '63. Such is my hatred of them.
Isn't the DW Experience Canon?
Now that we all know about the rude bits, aren't they rude? And as we get older, they get ruder and ruder. :oops:
LizR
Irony Maiden
Irony Maiden

paulhickling wrote:The were goddamn awful. THE worst thing inflicted by new Who since it returned.
Them's arguin' words...

But I have to go to bed now, so I will leave you to consider if they were really worse than "Last of the Time Lords".
Heccypoo

paulhickling wrote:I wish they'd either totally forget them and not mention them ever again. Or give us a battle between the two factions, like the DW Experience scenario, where the 'proper' lot totally obliterate the Paradigms, and then totally forget them and not mention them ever again.

Now that we all know about the rude bits, aren't they rude? And as we get older, they get ruder and ruder. :oops:
paulhickling
Former Team Member
Former Team Member

Heccypoo wrote:

Ha1 Nice one. Don't think we mentioned this in our past arguments about what is or isn't canon. Maybe this is one for Mr Ingram! I'd rather have it than any audio that's for sure!
tony ingram

paulhickling wrote:
Heccypoo wrote:

Ha1 Nice one. Don't think we mentioned this in our past arguments about what is or isn't canon. Maybe this is one for Mr Ingram! I'd rather have it than any audio that's for sure!
That's your loss.
paulhickling
Former Team Member
Former Team Member

LizR wrote:
paulhickling wrote:The were goddamn awful. THE worst thing inflicted by new Who since it returned.
Them's arguin' words...

But I have to go to bed now, so I will leave you to consider if they were really worse than "Last of the Time Lords".
What's there to consider? I loved Last of the Time Lords! From the bare faced cheek of Johnny Byrne's movie title, to John Simm's wonderful mad Master portrayal. I watched that season finale over and again, as I have with all RTD's finales. They might have excesses we all have issues with here and there, but they were all highly entertaining in the end. And all wrapped up in great music scores, the like of which have since diminished.

Saying that, 'Victory' of the Daleks had a nice score. It's all it had! I was ok-ish up to the point when the multicoloured blimps poured out of the steaming kettle. But even then, what with the twee Churchill, and not a single comment on Amy's state of dress (not even a joke), I struggled. The allusions to Power of the Daleks were nice, and the Ironsides were cool, especially shooting down enemy planes. But there was no victory I could see. Just the attempted destruction of one of sf's biggest and best icons. Normally I like Gatiss' stories. Full of invention and a better sense of humour than Moff's for my taste. But this is the one where he dropped the ball. And the designer lost the plot altogether.
paulhickling
Former Team Member
Former Team Member

tony ingram wrote:I just assumed it was where they put their shopping.
When I saw the graphic designs of the Paradigms, where they were seriously considering hiding weaponry and such under the bump, I couldn't wait to see the spectacle of stuff flying out of their arses! What planet was the designer on? Skaro? To say this would have been laughed off the screen is an understatement.

It was bad enough watching a human being dragged into Sec's casing, and after a minute voila! Instant Dalek-human mutant, and one which looked like something from a fancy dress party at that. Definitely not one of the RTD era's finest moments, along with the pig men. But the pregnant looking Paradigms were the last straw. Perhaps they could have had baby Daleks fly out, answering that old question about how they reproduce?
tony ingram

Why do you keep capitalizing "paradigm"? It's not actually their name...
The Nimon

LizR wrote:
Them's arguin' words...

I'd add Love and Monsters, Gridlock and post season 2 Rose Tyler to that
The Judge Judy of Planet Mondax
Bobspoons

I think the Paradigms were crap all round.

Bigger so EVEN harder to move about without destrying scenery.

Also, The originals used to surprise people that there were actors really inside those small things... paradigns can contain two actors, illusion broken.

Now, also there is the Daleks long established racial purity. Watch Rememberance and the line "not pure in their blobbyness" and then try and accept a totally different mutation strain and seperate Dalek, just doesnt fit right.

Redesigning Daleks a bit is fine, look at the great revisions for "Dalek" but changing totally and messing with established continuity, just seemingly to appeal to kids and get the spending money, crap!

Get rid of the lego-Daleks or split them off into a seperate distinctly different organisation.
Posting name Bobspoons, real name Alex

PS: The avatar picture is "Alfred Chicken", for those of you who love the CBM-Amiga. Saw his pic in an avatar collection, wndered why he was there and decided somebody should keep the legend of Alfred alive.
The Ginger Cat
Site Manager
Site Manager

The Nimon wrote:
LizR wrote:
Them's arguin' words...

I'd add Love and Monsters, Gridlock and post season 2 Rose Tyler to that
Ooh I'd like to stick "Fear Her" in with that lot.
tony ingram

Bobspoons wrote:I think the Paradigms were cr*p all round.
Seriously, it's not their name, it doesn't need capitalizing. They referred to themselves (once) as "the new paradigm" because a "paradigm" means a "model". They are new model Daleks. They aren't actually called "Paradigms" so why are people acting as though they are?
The Ginger Cat
Site Manager
Site Manager

I must admit I absolutely loathe the paradigm Daleks. Bloomin' awful design, they look too much like the bumper cars you get at the fairgrounds.
LizR
Irony Maiden
Irony Maiden

tony ingram wrote:Why do you keep capitalizing "paradigm"? It's not actually their name...
Becasue it's easier to call them something short and snappy.

"Ridiculous Day-glo teletubbie Daleks" is just too much to type every time.
tony ingram

LizR wrote:
tony ingram wrote:Why do you keep capitalizing "paradigm"? It's not actually their name...

But it doesn't actually make sense. Without adding in the "new", you're basically just calling them "pattern Daleks"or "model Daleks". Or, worse (if you don't type in "Daleks" afterwards), just "patterns" or "models".
LizR
Irony Maiden
Irony Maiden

tony ingram wrote:
LizR wrote:

But it doesn't actually make sense. Without adding in the "new", you're basically just calling them "pattern Daleks"or "model Daleks". Or, worse (if you don't type in "Daleks" afterwards), just "patterns" or "models".
"Doesn't make sense" ? Surely not...! :lol:

Return to “SERIES 5”

• Information