2%
3%
1%
4%

Total votes: 181
Nobbend

Lovely. A nice thoughtful story. 10/10
tony ingram

Liked it-better than last weeks, and I liked last weeks! Of course, with all the new Doctor/companion intro stuff out of the way, they had more room to tell a real story. And those Smilers were creepy! But space whales? I wonder what Pat Mills thought of this one... :D
Dobey Kweeg

tony ingram wrote:Liked it-better than last weeks, and I liked last weeks! Of course, with all the new Doctor/companion intro stuff out of the way, they had more room to tell a real story. And those Smilers were creepy! But space whales? I wonder what Pat Mills thought of this one... :D
Space whales AND men in monks habits.... Moffat had better watch out!
greystone

Smith was good but the story was awful, I amost fell asleep watching it. Moffet hasn't exactly covered himself in glory so far... :(
chap with wings

I watched 2 episodes of Nigella, it took me to my happy place. :? :?
"It can become a kind of franchise where it's not a real character at all, but just an amalgam of elements that people think are Doctor Who: a scarf, a bow tie... I wanted to be the actual Doctor Who." - Peter Capaldi

Follow me on Twitter at: https://twitter.com/BlogFinish

My Big Finish Review Archive is here - http://blogfinishplanetmondas.blogspot.co.uk/
ianj
The Dominator
The Dominator

oooooooooooooo Nigella........................................you are a naughty boy, Ed! ianj
chap with wings

ianj wrote:oooooooooooooo Nigella........................................you are a naughty boy, Ed! ianj
Much easier on the eye than the current Tardis Team :lol: :lol: :lol:
"It can become a kind of franchise where it's not a real character at all, but just an amalgam of elements that people think are Doctor Who: a scarf, a bow tie... I wanted to be the actual Doctor Who." - Peter Capaldi

Follow me on Twitter at: https://twitter.com/BlogFinish

My Big Finish Review Archive is here - http://blogfinishplanetmondas.blogspot.co.uk/
HornOrSilk

Felt too much The Long Game to me, and too simple an ending.

And I'm not finding Amy Pond too engaging.
Dobey Kweeg

HornOrSilk wrote:Felt too much The Long Game to me, and too simple an ending.

And I'm not finding Amy Pond too engaging.
I kinda see your thinking , but its the differences that are important, not the similarities - RTD has a bad (though why bad i cant remeber) alien explode through turning up the heat(?) probably with a quick sonic screwdrivering.

Here Moffat is telling an actual story - maybe a bit too much story again (for the time available - I still think the 45 minute format is at least 10 or 15 minutes too short for this kinda tale), but at least theres some substance and the Doctor (and Amy) actually have to figure some stuff out from the information available to the viewer. And theres a real moral dilemma for the Doctor, not RTD "you're as bad as my Daleks" moral imbelicism.
Lord Privy Toastrack

HornOrSilk wrote: And I'm not finding Amy Pond too engaging.
With those legs, she could recite the phone book for all I care...
toxicspurge

Wow! That was brilliant!
Zenith

As with last weeks i wasn't watching this in the best of circumstances and from next week i think i'll definitly piss off upstairs as what i saw of this was excellent. There were bits i missed but what a gripping story it turned out to be and what a good actor Matt Smith is turning out to be, I think that he can start winning me over this soon despite my objections to the age is an extremely encouraging thing as it proves age is not actually that important after all to the casting and in Smith I was seeing an actor who is actually much more subtle than David Tennant often was.
It was easy to imagine how Tennant would have hammed up a lot of the action this episode and that that thankfully was an element very evident as i watched this. Smith is a showing he's a really good actor, star find. 8-)

I did wonder about Pat Mills' legendary 'Space Whale' as well, I'd be amazed if he didn't get a fee for the plot at least, but it does show jst how far technology has come on from the early 80s that the story can be realised in such a scale now. God I feel old.
I look forward very much to watching this properly and am very encouraged indeed by the quality of the new series so far.
NoSoul

7.5/10. Very solid episode, but it doesn't hold up as well against last week's instant classic. That one seemed like it needed one more draft to make it right. The parts were grand (the smilers, the whale, the Queen, the intriguing moral dilemma at the end), but the sum didn't come together cohesively. Still, I see effort in originality being made, and I complement Moffat on trying to expand the storytelling devices a bit. It's early in his time as Producer, and he hasn't done any farting aliens yet, so he's already in better shape than RTD.
"Hi, I'm Troy McClure. You may remember me from such spin-offs as Son of Sanford and Son, and AfterMannix."
NoSoul

chap with wings wrote:I watched 2 episodes of Nigella, it took me to my happy place. :? :?
Ah Nigella....the source of much friction in my marriage. To be that black robe at the end of her show if but for a moment....

Erm, that sounded bad. Um....how about them Smilers?
"Hi, I'm Troy McClure. You may remember me from such spin-offs as Son of Sanford and Son, and AfterMannix."
DaReverendMrMagister

I enjoyed this. A good 7/10.

Smith and Gillan still excellent.

(More unexplained or illogical stuff than you can shake a perigosto stick at however....)
image45
Former Team Member
Former Team Member

I liked last weeks episode a bit more but great fun all the same with a nice change on who works out whats what!

:Tardis: :Dalek: :lizshaw:
O-Ren Ishii: You didn't think it was gonna be that easy, did you?
The Bride: You know, for a second there, yeah, I kinda did.
O-Ren Ishii: Silly rabbit.
mican

NoSoul wrote:7.5/10. Very solid episode, but it doesn't hold up as well against last week's instant classic. That one seemed like it needed one more draft to make it right. The parts were grand (the smilers, the whale, the Queen, the intriguing moral dilemma at the end), but the sum didn't come together cohesively. Still, I see effort in originality being made, and I complement Moffat on trying to expand the storytelling devices a bit.
Seconded. That sums up my feelings precisely. It also felt somewhat rushed to me, as if Moffat was trying to shoehorn a 60 minute script into a 42 minute broadcast. I think this episode would've greatly benefited from 18 more minutes of storytelling time.
Kajaboy

How nice to see a riped-off version of a 30 year old unmade story just weeks away from the release of the Big Finish version based on the original version. :Blink:

Are new ideas that hard to come by?
My next door neighbour mixed up her KY jelly with the superglue. I asked her how she managed that but her lips are sealed.
NoSoul

mican wrote:
NoSoul wrote:7.5/10. Very solid episode, but it doesn't hold up as well against last week's instant classic. That one seemed like it needed one more draft to make it right. The parts were grand (the smilers, the whale, the Queen, the intriguing moral dilemma at the end), but the sum didn't come together cohesively. Still, I see effort in originality being made, and I complement Moffat on trying to expand the storytelling devices a bit.
Seconded. That sums up my feelings precisely. It also felt somewhat rushed to me, as if Moffat was trying to shoehorn a 60 minute script into a 42 minute broadcast. I think this episode would've greatly benefited from 18 more minutes of storytelling time.
I agree. More time to set up everything and allowing the story to breathe would have greatly helped things.
tony ingram

Kajaboy wrote:How nice to see a riped-off version of a 30 year old unmade story just weeks away from the release of the Big Finish version based on the original version. :Blink:

Are new ideas that hard to come by?
Actually, from the reference to the space whales having helped humanity before, I think this was more of a sequel...

Return to “SERIES 5”

• Information