13%
3%
2%
3%
1%
4%

Total votes: 181
Thal2006

I think this season has started amazingly - absolute top quality in production values, acting and writing. The directing has been amazing so far.

Finally a decent season opener - rather than a throw away season filler as the opener

The Eleventh hour was witty, exciting & scary.

And the Beast below totally unique in Doctor Who history.

I feel the same as Ian Levine - i'm getting that buzz I had when I watched the series back in the 80's when I was a kid.

I don't now what show you lot have been watching - but isn't the same series i'm watching

This is light years away from the over emotional, soap opera, basic humor (cringe/cheese) of the RTD years (all though there were some good episodes).

1st time in the new series that its has felt like a 100% doctor who.

And a bright new massive tardis interior!

The way this season has started points to it being the best since 1989! :roll07:
Gorkle

LizR wrote: No need to be faux-naïf, my dear!
Oh blimey ... I've already had to google Godwin's Law. Now I have to google faux-naïf... :D

(Actually I was delighted to read about Godwin's law. I now realise, to my relief, I've been on the receiving end of it not so long ago on another site - non-Who related - when I was accused of being 'The fascist leader of an evil little band of followers intent on stifling free speech'. And my teachers said I'd never amount to anything! Result! I wish I'd been able to quote Godwin's Law back. I was puzzled at the time, so instead I just ... went away.)

Anyway, if you enjoy the episode half as much as I did the second time you see it, it will at least mean that - er - I enjoyed it twice as much as you ... or something ... :Doctor 3D:
markhuk
Styles Moderator
Styles Moderator

I enjoyed this story a lot the first time I watched it and even more on the repeat viewing.
I was particularly pleased to see the Doctor miss something - is this a sign of things to come is he going to be an impulsive Doctor with a tendancy to rush in where angels fear to tread ?
We did see a sign of this in 11th Hour where he literally had to stop himself and re examine what he'd seen and Im hoping that its a sign that the god like figure we had under RTD is a thing of the past.
LizR
Irony Maiden
Irony Maiden

Gorkle wrote:Anyway, if you enjoy the episode half as much as I did the second time you see it, it will at least mean that - er - I enjoyed it twice as much as you ... or something ... :Doctor 3D:
...I'll be a happy bunny.
Nobbend

Gorkle wrote:
Oh blimey ... I've already had to google Godwin's Law. Now I have to google faux-naïf... :D

(Actually I was delighted to read about Godwin's law. I now realise, to my relief, I've been on the receiving end of it not so long ago on another site - non-Who related - when I was accused of being 'The fascist leader of an evil little band of followers intent on stifling free speech'. And my teachers said I'd never amount to anything! Result! I wish I'd been able to quote Godwin's Law back. I was puzzled at the time, so instead I just ... went away.)

Anyway, if you enjoy the episode half as much as I did the second time you see it, it will at least mean that - er - I enjoyed it twice as much as you ... or something ... :Doctor 3D:
Peoplew should carry a small bell that they can ring whenever they get into a argument which compares them (or anyone else) to Hitler or the third Reich, then exclaim "Bong! Godwin's Law! You lose the argument by default" before skipping away leaving their puzzled fsaces dark with incandescant rage
LizR
Irony Maiden
Irony Maiden

Nobbend wrote:
Gorkle wrote:

Peoplew should carry a small bell that they can ring whenever they get into a argument which compares them (or anyone else) to Hitler or the third Reich, then exclaim "Bong! Godwin's Law! You lose the argument by default" before skipping away leaving their puzzled fsaces dark with incandescant rage
Similarly, anyone who says "Some of my best friends are...." (gay/an ethnic minority/women/Dr Who Fans etc)

Makes verbal bullying a whole lots easier - you don't even have to think about what they were trying to say!
Nobbend

I've just rewatched The Beast Below and I now understand where the Doc and Amy ended up on the 'vomit comet'

The Star Whale's mouth was sealed, so the puke wave carried them back up the food tube into the creatures mouth and into (The Doctor says) an overspill pipe.

I missed that first time around, but really if you have to watch something twice to get the basics of the plot then then the script isn't doing it's job.

Ghost Light never did it's job for me
chap with wings

So now ive seen this one. Hmm, good pre credits with the Smilers being introduced, and its downhill from there.
This was just DULL beyond belief, normally I would have cared about the Star Whale, the script, direction, acting and music just didnt convey its awful plight. Amy Pond seems to be on auto pilot, and I just dont get this Smith is great vibe I seem to be getting from other posters, he is just a bit, well, forgettable, like the second Joey in Bread or the second Miss Ellie in Dallas, he is so suffering by comparison to his immediate predecessors, like Davison after Tom.
So, I should have liked this story with its moral dilemmas and society gone mad, but again, the flatness of the production hobbled the whole thing, nest one looks good Ian McNeice is one of my fave actors and a man I would have loved to see play The Doctor.

Overall 2/10 for the pre credits.
"It can become a kind of franchise where it's not a real character at all, but just an amalgam of elements that people think are Doctor Who: a scarf, a bow tie... I wanted to be the actual Doctor Who." - Peter Capaldi

Follow me on Twitter at: https://twitter.com/BlogFinish

My Big Finish Review Archive is here - http://blogfinishplanetmondas.blogspot.co.uk/
tony ingram

Nobbend wrote:I've just rewatched The Beast Below and I now understand where the Doc and Amy ended up on the 'vomit comet'

The Star Whale's mouth was sealed, so the puke wave carried them back up the food tube into the creatures mouth and into (The Doctor says) an overspill pipe.

I missed that first time around, but really if you have to watch something twice to get the basics of the plot then then the script isn't doing it's job.

Ghost Light never did it's job for me
It did for me. I think the lesson here is 'watch more closely and listen to what's being said'. A basic concept which a lot of people seem to be having trouble with this year, for some reason.
'teleportNOW!'

Rewatching this, it had some nice touches of design and concepts/characters (Liz X was cool),
although the resolution with the 'Star Whale' wasn't very convincing/plausible, which gave the whole thing a bit of a credibility problem.
Cygnus Prime
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

The Doctor takes Amy to the future inside Starship UK, which contains in addition to British explorers, an intimidating race known as the Smilers.

Return to “SERIES 5”

• Information