2%
3%
1%
4%

Total votes: 181
LizR
Irony Maiden
Irony Maiden

Nice comment on the tropes, HornOrSilk! I have noticed space whales cropping up in SF too, along with living space ships. The city in flight is probably a steal from James Blish's "Cities in Flight"...

I gave this one 7 - not bad, as usual with Moffat extremely sentimental, and the resolution was a bit.....hmmm.....the word that comes to mind is twee! I almost felt we'd dropped into Disneyland. But the atmosphere was effective, the trappings were inventive - unfortunately I thought it all rather fell down about half way through, about the time they did in fact - when they landed on the "beast's" tongue. But I don't think that's Moff's fault. The problem was that it all had to be wrapped up in 42 minutes, which just isn't long enough for a decent story, or at least, not a decent "Doctor Who" story (or Jonathan Creek, for that matter). Last week's was more enjoyable simply because it didn't have to "jump to a conclusion" just when you felt it was getting started - perhaps without that constraint, Moffat would have come up with something a bit more meaty and satisfying. The idea is great - the UK in space, everything having reverted to something like the 60s, being run as a police state - it definitely has more potential, and should have been given at least an hour, or two episodes (but that also seems to fall down, e.g. "The Doctor Dances" was rather padded....there must be some better format, surely? Maybe, say, four 25 minute episodes would work???) But IMHO that was a classic Who style premise, unfortunately diminished by being shoehorned into the 42 minutes (unless they go back there later, of course, a la "The Long Game" !)

Still, not bad - so far Moff has made a lot of the previous 4 years look rather infantile by comparison, even if he doesn't have time to really get to grips with the issues he's satirising, as classic Who managed to do so well. The resolution may have been a bit too new Agey (and just a bit stupid, when you think about it) but it didn't feel completely tacked on like a lot of You-Know-Who's.

And it was very well acted. Matt is really shaping up to be a brilliant Doctor.
LizR
Irony Maiden
Irony Maiden

By the way, I had a thought about the title sequence. Could the idea be that the TARDIS is flying through the atmosphere of a planet, like Jupiter, say, rather than the vortex? :geek:
LizR
Irony Maiden
Irony Maiden

chap with wings wrote:
ianj wrote:oooooooooooooo Nigella........................................you are a naughty boy, Ed! ianj
Much easier on the eye than the current Tardis Team :lol: :lol: :lol:
She's putting on weight, though.
LizR
Irony Maiden
Irony Maiden

toxicspurge wrote:One minor plot point...once a spaceship is in space and is moving in a direction, you shouldn't need an engine to move the ship anymore unless you want to change course (or alter speed). Once you get her up to the desired speed, you should be able to turn the engine off and coast at the same speed indefinitely.
OOOooooh, geek time! I bet the USS Enterprise shouldn't really go "Whoosh!" either!

But wait, the starship was floating somewhere out near the centre of the galaxy by the look of it, and only a few centuries in the future - how did they get there so fast? I'm guessing they used faster than light travel, which as we all know doesn't obey any of that old Newtonian physics. In "Cities in Flight" which I am taking as the sine qua non for this story (and why not?) they had to use a power source to keep the spindizzies running even while cruising at a constant speed, so I guess it's the same here.

:P
LizR
Irony Maiden
Irony Maiden

Mike Nuttall wrote:Steven Moffat's interpretation of the programme is turning out to be a pleasant revelation, it's serious and dramatic but it's clear he has a good sense of humour under that apparently solemn Scottish exterior.
Moffat has written tons of comedy. (For example "Coupling" which won the "Best TV Comedy" award!)

And he's a bit of a hunk... :lizshaw:

Don't be put off by the dour Scottish exterior....

Mind you I'm seriously thinking of changing my name to "Liz 10" :D
LizR
Irony Maiden
Irony Maiden

HornOrSilk wrote:See also Dolphins Dolphins Everywhere, Flying Seafood Special.
Not to mention...!
LizR
Irony Maiden
Irony Maiden

Mike Nuttall wrote:Next week's episode looks amazing...

:Dalek: "I am you soldieeer!"
Looks like it could be loosely based on my favourite Who story of all (as Mr Shearman attempted a while back but it got a bit lost....)

"I am your ser-vant...!"
'teleportNOW!'

Ian Levine wrote:
ianj wrote: the music is sh*te
Oh you are a tiresome old queen.
The music IS sh*te,
and Murry Gold is a tiresome old queen,
so you're half right :lol:
'teleportNOW!'

LizR wrote:- when they landed on the "beast's" tongue.

that was surely a (not unwelcome) nod to 'Star Wars' and 'The Empire Strikes Back'.
HornOrSilk

feline1 wrote:

that was surely a (not unwelcome) nod to 'Star Wars' and 'The Empire Strikes Back'.
It was, but the exit doesn't make sense...
Ian Levine

cyber_boots wrote:Absolutely bloody stunningly brilliant episode and wonderful series so far.

Matt Smith and Karen Gillan are the strongest Doctor companion relationship for almost 40 years.

Came over here for some sanity after reading a lot of the bilge on GB. Seems like one person moaned and then everyone else just started bitching.

I watched the episode with open eyed wonder and really am enjoying where we are at the moment with Doctor Who. Takes the best of the classic series and melds its beautifully with the best of post 2005.

Hello Andy.

I'm so tired of the trolls on Gallifrey Base.
But until yesterday I hated our new forum - but now I love it, so it will become far more active now.
Ian Levine

feline1 wrote:
Ian Levine wrote:
The music IS sh*te,

Phuck off.
I was calling IanJ a tiresome predictable useless old queen.

STOP TWISTING MY WORDS !!!!!!!!!
'teleportNOW!'

Ian Levine wrote:

Phuck off.
I was calling IanJ a tiresome predictable useless old queen.

STOP TWISTING MY WORDS !!!!!!!!!
the play on your words was the very essence of the joke!
Nobbend

My one issue with this episode was that not enough was made of the fact that it was a police state. Everyobe seemed quite jolly apart from the girl. Apart from the Smiler's being there to be a scary monster/villain, they actually seemed to serve no purpose

No doubt if the episode had been longer instead of it's 42 minutes there may have been some further exposition

:Blink:
Nobbend

HornOrSilk wrote:
feline1 wrote:

It was, but the exit doesn't make sense...
The Doctor made the whale sick by stimulating it's chemo receptors. He and Amy were puked out of it's gob
HornOrSilk

Nobbend wrote: The Doctor made the whale sick by stimulating it's chemo receptors. He and Amy were puked out of it's gob
But look where it's mouth is.
LizR
Irony Maiden
Irony Maiden

feline1 wrote:

I don't mind nods but I thought the storytelling kind of went on the skids a bit after that, because everything suddenly had to be wound up precipitately. I wasn't saying that the tongue itself was a bad thing.
ianj
The Dominator
The Dominator

feline1 wrote:
Ian Levine wrote:
The music IS sh*te,

HHmmmpphhh!! You are BOTH tiresome old Queens! I will give you a jolly good smacked bottom when I catch up with you! ianj
luke_0011

Been a member for a while but never posted anything on here until now, but seeing as the new series is so good i had to.
Really enjoying the new series, even if this weeks story did stretch believaility a bit it was still better than last week, and last weeks was great. Matt Smith's doctor is great, he seems to have taken good points of all the doctors of old and put them into his Doctor, and the interaction between him and Amy is right up there for me with the best of them.
I think the new series is going to get better and better, really looking forward to seeing what they do with the Daleks next week
Now if the could only do something about the opening music!!
The Buccaneer

"Am I watching the same bloody show as the rest of you ?????????" [Ian Levine quote]

Obviously not!

Return to “SERIES 5”

• Information