13%
3%
2%
3%
1%
4%

Total votes: 181
MICHAEL

Another good episode and Matt is excellent in the role and his Doctor seems more naturally Doctorly than David did, I have a good feeling about this season
Nobbend

HornOrSilk wrote:
Nobbend wrote: The Doctor made the whale sick by stimulating it's chemo receptors. He and Amy were puked out of it's gob
But look where it's mouth is.
I don't understand your point. Please clarify
HornOrSilk

Nobbend wrote:
HornOrSilk wrote:
Nobbend wrote: The Doctor made the whale sick by stimulating it's chemo receptors. He and Amy were puked out of it's gob
But look where it's mouth is.
I don't understand your point. Please clarify
Look at where its mouth is, when you see it at the end. It's aimed toward space.
'teleportNOW!'

CLEARLY space-whales vomit through a special gland other than their mouths.
EVERYONE knows that!
HornOrSilk

feline1 wrote:CLEARLY space-whales vomit through a special gland other than their mouths.
EVERYONE knows that!
While I was watching it on a small computer screen, it looked like the mouth to me...
yow

HornOrSilk wrote:
Look at where its mouth is, when you see it at the end. It's aimed toward space.
I thought the place was supposed to come apart if the Whale was released?
It decided to stay and thus remained attached.
Is it not possible though that the sections caging it were somehow jettisoned - including the vomit bucket area?
Thats what i assumed.
HornOrSilk

yow wrote:
HornOrSilk wrote:
Is it not possible though that the sections caging it were somehow jettisoned - including the vomit bucket area?
Thats what i assumed.
But then how was it moving the ship around? from what it seemed to me, it was the direct access to the brain which "caged" it.
yow

HornOrSilk wrote:
yow wrote:
HornOrSilk wrote:
Thats what i assumed.
But then how was it moving the ship around? from what it seemed to me, it was the direct access to the brain which "caged" it.
The same way it always moved - there's nothing in space for it to 'swim against' to get any force - enclosed or not.

Also maybe it was just the angles of shots at the beginning and end of the episode i just got a feeling of lower parts of the structure being missing at the end. I could well be wrong. I'm not going to re-watch too soon to find out though.

Even if i'm mistaken and making allowances for it - it's still massively superior to the countless Davies Ex Magica's we had to put up with for the previous 10 years
Selaboc

HornOrSilk wrote: Look at where its mouth is, when you see it at the end. It's aimed toward space.
Well, they got inside the beast my means other than it's space-facing mouth, so what makes you think it needed to vomit them out it's space-facing mouth?
Nobbend

HornOrSilk wrote:
feline1 wrote:CLEARLY space-whales vomit through a special gland other than their mouths.
EVERYONE knows that!
While I was watching it on a small computer screen, it looked like the mouth to me...
It looked like an orifice with teeth, and they were standing on it's tongue, so good point.

Perhaps it has more than one mouth
Greyhawk

A solid 7 for me... same as last week's episode.

I found the dialogue from every character very difficult to hear in the first 20 minutes or so.

Also, Amy I'm finding either hard to hear or hard to understand what she's saying... I'll catch most of a sentence and then all of a sudden drop a couple of words that for some reason are either hard to make out or seem to be spoken at a much softer volume than the rest. Am I the only one having this trouble?

Otherwise, I loved the Troughton vibes the Doctor is giving off... very nice to see.
"YOU INTERNET BULLY. COME OUT AND I WILL PHYSICALLY ASSAULT YOU FOR QUOTING ME ON THE INTERNET!!!"
- Bored of Canada (paraphrasing iamthedoctor)

"Makes me want to just pack up and quit and go to another site where we dont have all these rules."
"This is getting crazy now. Its supposed to be a discussion site."
"...me and him just meet in a public place so I can give him a bloody good kicking..."
"So if thats the case we re getting 44 episodes in november then!"
"Is William Hurt making a appearance in Saturdays episode?"
"Has Frasier Hines said hes done a commentary for Fury?"
- iamthedoctor

"...sh*t posters will sh*t post..."
"HE WAS MEAN TO ME ON THE INTERNET!"
- Bored of Canada

"You are everything that is wrong with this thread. Cheap insults from behind a keyboard."
- DOOMSTER
'teleportNOW!'

yow wrote:
HornOrSilk wrote:
The same way it always moved - there's nothing in space for it to 'swim against' to get any force - enclosed or not.

Also maybe it was just the angles of shots at the beginning and end of the episode i just got a feeling of lower parts of the structure being missing at the end. I could well be wrong. I'm not going to re-watch too soon to find out though.

Even if i'm mistaken and making allowances for it - it's still massively superior to the countless Davies Ex Magica's we had to put up with for the previous 10 years

to be fair, space is not a vacuum at all, but chock full of solar winds and other highly energetic ionized particles whizzing around.....
LizR
Irony Maiden
Irony Maiden

feline1 wrote:to be fair, space is not a vacuum at all, but chock full of solar winds and other highly energetic ionized particles whizzing around.....
I think you'll find it's a vacuum for all practical purposes (where practical purposes involve towing large cities around). Seeing as how I've already mentioned James Blish in the context of "Cities in Flight", he also wrote a juvenile novel called "The Star Dwellers" which takes place in the Coal Sack nebula. Although this is one of the denser pieces of interstellar space it is still a very good approximation to a vacuum - a far "harder" vacuum than can be created anywhere on Earth. So I'm afraid the comment about the whale having nothing to push against is true f.a.p.p. It can only either push against the structure of space itself (this is possible in curved space, I'm told, although the effect is incredibly minute) or is "using some sort of psychic power". I think, under the circs, I'd opt for the latter. (In other words, it's able to move by "hand waving" :D )

Given that in the Whoniverse it's fairly easy to move planets around, even with nothing to push against (did I mention James Blish? He moves planets around using what almost sounds like real science in "Earthman come home" - there are even equations! :roll: ) - I guess a city isn't going to be a problem. Also, the whale probably travels faster than light, too, so it's probably created what Star Trek calls a warp bubble, or what Blish called a polarised graviton field (either of which generally involves a lot of hand waving anyway... :geek: )

Wow! If the only things worth complaining about are the theme tune and how a space whale moves around, this series is gonna be awesome!

PS - :Rose: <- this icon needs more teeth.
LizR
Irony Maiden
Irony Maiden

Greyhawk wrote:Amy I'm finding either hard to hear or hard to understand what she's saying...
I have that problem, too. I think it's 'cos she's Scottish*. Why can't people talk proper, like they do in Noo Zilland?

*That could be construed as racist if you happen to be terminally PC, but fortunately I have Scottish ancestors, so stick that in your sporran and, er, do whatever it is you do. :mrgreen:

But wait here's an early Harry Potter story...
Monty Python wrote: Inspector Mrs Potter - you knew Harold Potter quite well I believe?
Wife Oh yes quite well.
Inspector Yes.
Wife He was my husband.
Inspector Yes. And, er, he never showed any inclination towards being a Scotsman before this happened?
Wife (shocked) No, no, not at all. He was not that sort of person...
Inspector He didn't wear a kilt or play the bagpipes?
Wife No, no.
Inspector He never got drunk at night or bought home black puddings?
Wife No, no. Not at all.
Inspector He didn't have an inadequate brain capacity?
Wife No, no, not at all.
Inspector I see. So by your account Harold Potter was a perfectly ordinary Englishman without any tendency towards being a Scotsman whatsoever?
Wife Absolutely, yes. (suddenly remembering) Mind you he did always watch Dr Finlay on television.
Inspector Ah-hah! ... Well that's it, you see. That's how it starts.
Wife I beg your pardon?
Inspector Well you see Scottishness starts with little things like that, and works up. You see, people don't just turn into a Scotsman for no reason at all... (goes rigid: with Scots accent:) No further questions!
LizR
Irony Maiden
Irony Maiden

feline1 wrote:
LizR wrote:- when they landed on the "beast's" tongue.

that was surely a (not unwelcome) nod to 'Star Wars' and 'The Empire Strikes Back'.
Yes, well, the city was a nod to Blish, the whale to Discworld and Star Trek's "Encounter at Far Point", the "forget" button is either the red or the blue pill from "The Matrix" (I forget which), even the Smilers are similar to the androids in "Girl in the Fireplace". This episode is so full of homages that, sadly, it shows an almost RTDesque lack of creative imagination.

Yet it started off brilliantly, with lots of great, creepy ideas - and then, around the time the Doctor and Amy went down the tubes, so did the episode. I'm being generous and blaming it on the format, but by God I was getting an RTD flashback at the end, with all the emo stuff, the Doctor making the wrong decision and being pulled up by his companion....sigh. Did the BBC insist on that? Surely Moffat didn't sign something saying he'd throw in some RTD style nonsense every other episode? Please, please, please say it isn't so.

Matt is, however, still the Doctor. "Nobody human has anything to say to me today!" was still a great line. Shame he got it all so wrong, with his 900 years experience, while first time out RoseAmy came to the rescue. Vomiting Smiley Face
Gorkle

LizR wrote:Yes, well, the city was a nod to Blish, the whale to Discworld and Star Trek's "Encounter at Far Point", the "forget" button is either the red or the blue pill from "The Matrix" (I forget which), even the Smilers are similar to the androids in "Girl in the Fireplace".
According to a friend of mine, Romeo and Juliet is a nod to West Side Story. Or is it the other way around? I can never remember ... :Drunk:
LizR wrote:all the emo stuff
There's a pattern emerging here ... like I said about The Eleventh Hour, I'm loving some of the bits other people are hating. Maybe I have the sort of brain no-one listens to ... again. Or maybe I'm a 45-year-old Emo! Brilliant! Identity crisis solved at last! All this time, I thought I was a 54-year-old Emu!
LizR wrote: Shame he got it all so wrong, with his 900 years experience, while first time out RoseAmy came to the rescue. Vomiting Smiley Face
Another bit I liked. Amy finds the solution because The Doctor has encouraged her to observe everything and think laterally. It was planted right back in the scene in the park by the duck pond in the first episode. And another beautiful trigger is that wonderful line "Nobody Human has anything to say to me today!". It's precisely because she's Human that she makes the connection. I find it delightful that The Doctor, for all his 900 years experience, can and will still be surprised by Human nature because he'll never truly understand it.

Like Holmes will never really understand Watson. The Last Pea (or to give it another name, The Abdicate Button):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DPUHMuSxiEo

And for a final if feeble justification, he's still settling in to his new psyche. "I think a lot. Sometimes it's hard to keep track". He lost track.

I thought the whole idea had been beautifully set up and executed, and was a lot more graceful and believable than saving the day as a result of having GCSE Gymnastics (Or was it NVQ? Pushed the 'Forget' button on that one).

Now, what sort of popular music do Emos listen to? Do I need to go and buy some Radioface records? More importantly, do I have to live on soup and have a 20 inch waist? That really would be stretching credibility ... :Drunk:
RANTING MANIAC

ian levine is right: Matt Smith is the best DR since the relaunch.

Smith is much more in-keeping with the DR of old.

I hope the rest of you agree with me and Ian Levine. We know best :P
LizR
Irony Maiden
Irony Maiden

Gorkle wrote:Another bit I liked. Amy finds the solution because The Doctor has encouraged her to observe everything and think laterally. It was planted right back in the scene in the park by the duck pond in the first episode. And another beautiful trigger is that wonderful line "Nobody Human has anything to say to me today!". It's precisely because she's Human that she makes the connection. I find it delightful that The Doctor, for all his 900 years experience, can and will still be surprised by Human nature because he'll never truly understand it.
But he's the Doctor, his solutions should be clever and laced with compassion, he should never have necessarily seen the whale as less important than the humans, there is no way he should think lobotomising the (apparently - sigh) last of its species is the right answer. And doing it so quickly, it's been suffering for centuries, why didn't he STOP FOR A MOMENT to think it through? I'll tell you why, it was just so Moffat could put in an RTD moment and have the "uncaring alien" Doctor pulled up by "smart, feisty" companion. I admit this isn't as bad as the Delta Wave but it's still heading in that direction. It's ridiculous and patronising to assume that the human race has a monopoly on compassion, I will give him the regeneration blues this time around, but I sure hope this doesn't keep happening!
toxicspurge

yow wrote:
HornOrSilk wrote:
Thats what i assumed.
The whale had a feeding tube inserted. It probably had a vomit tube inserted too.
Makkabee

I enjoyed that, all in all. Still, did anyone notice the similarity between the enforcers and these gentlemen?

"You can fool some of the people all of the time, and all of the people some of the time, but you can not fool all of the people all of the time." Abraham Lincoln (attributed)

Return to “SERIES 5”

• Information